The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Fa Cup semi final draw

+17
Synopsis
The Utterer
KMitch
DomAVFC
mefromhere
GadgetMan
gdav
kimbo
Dgrizzle7
De Kuip
villabromsgrove
VillaBill
Trotters
Villa_Dan
FoxyAV
ember
lukevilla
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 Empty Re: Fa Cup semi final draw

Post by Synopsis Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 am

Villa_Dan wrote:Just getting to the final doesn't get us European football. We have to win it. They changed the rules (or so I read)

Is the new rule if the cup winners have already qualified for Europe the place goes to the team placed highest in the league who haven't qualified? Am sure someone told me thats what it was changing to.
Synopsis
Synopsis

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:10 am

VillaBill wrote:Dan , are you sure , ! thought an European place HAD to come from FA Cup participation ?
Anyone know when the tickets go on sale , i think we have earned our day out after the dross we have had to put up with in recent seasons ? Cant wait !

Yep, it was changed in 2013 and comes into force this season:

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/EuroExperience/uefaorg/Publications/02/01/17/30/2011730_DOWNLOAD.pdf

No more cup runners-up in the UEFA Europa League In the club competitions, and more specifically the UEFA Europa League, the question of whether domestic cup runners-up should qualify if cup winners qualify for the UEFA Champions League was once again debated. Most national associations thought this rule should be changed so that the place reserved for the domestic cup winner would go to the best-placed club in the league championship that had not already qualified for a UEFA competition. This change should come into force from the 2015/16 season
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by avfcjoe Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:52 am

Fingers crossed my change of work and being unable to make a game this season, for the first season in 15 years doesn't affect my chances of getting a ticket! Sadly, I think it may!
avfcjoe

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:40 am

I don't want Europa next season. It's going to be a massive season for us rebuilding our credibility in the Premier League. We do not need the enormous distraction of the Europa.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:43 pm

The Utterer wrote:I actually think it's not too bad a draw really, a chance to play Blackburn (Although that would be tough as they park the bus which we always struggle against) or Liverpool who we seem to beat quite often these days, well at theirs at least!!

We used to struggle against teams that parked the bus because with Lambert we were solely a counter attack team, which relies on enough of the opposition to be far enough forward that we could surprise them with pace, something that was easy for a Bradford (for example) to counter by just giving us the ball to not know what to do with. Lambert had already changed the team to possession based a few matches before he kindly buggered off and Sherwood is not only making it work but also bringing in some variation. With Lambert everyone knew exactly how the team would be set up. With Sherwood not so, plus there's the element of surprise still (since no one will know the set up), the positivity of club and fans and our players are far more talented than Lambert made them look. I'd go so far as to say that if we did meet Arsenal in the final we'd be a completely different proposition to the team they beat 5-0 a few weeks ago.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm

With you Foxy AV we now appear dangerous on the break. Under Lambert it was all possession  and no penetration, TS has brought out the freedom in the team. Could you have seen the pass made from Grealish to Sinclair under the lambert stewardship, I don't think so. We also have players in the box ready to have a go. It is a breath of fresh air being a Villa support at the moment. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 1815562058 Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 1815562058 Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 1815562058
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Tom Fox must be praying we survive, now that it's obvious that he and Lerner got it totally wrong with their continued ridiculous support of Lambert.

Fans don't always know best, but if you don't have football experience ..... I'm looking at you RL and TF ..... when 95 % percent of fans tell you repeatedly that what you're doing is damaging the club, you'd better listen!

Getting to Wembley is an undeserved bonus for RL/TF!
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazrim Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:20 pm

I wouldn't include Fox in that to be fair. He probably had some trouble ungluing Lerner from Lambert. It's true we've left it way too late to act but the situation is still salvageable at least.

You're absolutely right about listening to fans, especially when so unified in voice and opinion. There was a huge amount of arrogance on Lerners part in thinking he knew best. Even if we get out of this mess I'll never forgive him for the negligence he has shown over the last few years and hope his only remaining meaningful decision is who to sell to because he invariably makes a total bollocks of footballing decisions.

That said, I think we're on the right path now. I just hope it's enough to survive and get the club back on track.
Mazrim
Mazrim

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:44 pm

I like Tom Fox, but I wonder whether he was playing for time with his "false narrative" response. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but it got RL through the January transfer window without spending too much. If Sherwood had come in when he should have done, it would have cost Randy a whole load more bucks in January!
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:03 pm

I think Fox was simply fighting against a well ingrained relationship between Lerner and Lambert. He'd heard everything he'd wanted to hear for 2 years from Faulkner and Lambert, Fox needed to ram home some home truths and make Lerner see the light. I think it was done purely on an almost KPI basis - "if he doesn't get X points from X games then I want you to sack him"

Sherwood said he'd done most of his discussions pre-signing with Fox so he'd clearly been working on things behind the scenes
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazrim Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:34 pm

From what I understand, the discussions with Sherwood were intense and over a period of a few days.
I reckon he was selected as the most likely, perhaps even sounded out, before Lambert got the Spanish archer. As is only right really.

We should have had somebody like Fox a long time ago. He wouldn't have allowed Lambert to start this season for instance. No sane person would. Instead, we stuck with an incompetent corporate bullshitter like Faulkner for too long, who stuck with a confused, lost and misguided buffoon like Lambert for far too long.

Incompetence. This club has been tumid with it for such a bewilderingly long time. I hope the times are changing as they may appear to be.
Mazrim
Mazrim

Back to top Go down

Post by mefromhere Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Now all we have to do is keep Sherwood or at least give him the same amount of time as Lambert was given as I believe he would actually change and turn things around given time and not simply hold his beliefs that all will come good eventually. This man could get us back where we belong.

Back onto thread topic ... We won't find out our opponent until April 8th which is a month after we won the quarter final! I expect Blackburn to be our opponents come Wembley time as Liverpool will be fighting for a top 4 spot and will sacrifice the cup for that chance ... That and Blackburn have unbelievable pace up front which Liverpool won't be able to cope with.

This is our year, lets make it count.
mefromhere
mefromhere

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 pm

jeffvilla wrote:Could you have seen the pass made from Grealish to Sinclair under the lambert stewardship, I don't think so.

Not once he moved us to possession based football that involved Guzan waiting for the opposition to get back into position before rolling it out to a defender rather than trying to trust our players to cope with two strategies at once, plus he was never going to give Grealish anything more than substituting someone for the last minute a couple more times this year.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:47 am

mefromhere wrote:Now all we have to do is keep Sherwood or at least give him the same amount of time as Lambert was given as I believe he would actually change and turn things around given time and not simply hold his beliefs that all will come good eventually. This man could get us back where we belong.

Back onto thread topic ... We won't find out our opponent until April 8th which is a month after we won the quarter final! I expect Blackburn to be our opponents come Wembley time as Liverpool will be fighting for a top 4 spot and will sacrifice the cup for that chance ... That and Blackburn have unbelievable pace up front which Liverpool won't be able to cope with.

This is our year, lets make it count.
Blackburn's biggest issue is lack of quality of final ball, because they made some great opportunities but just failed at the end. They certainly caused Liverpool plenty of problems though. I guess I still expect Liverpool to manage to get through but it wouldn't be a massive shock now Blackburn are at home, as they definitely gave a good account of themselves at Anfield.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:51 am

villabromsgrove wrote:I don't want Europa next season. It's going to be a massive season for us rebuilding our credibility in the Premier League. We do not need the enormous distraction of the Europa.
But that means we don't win the FA Cup, and I want that.

I think we'll be fine, I can't see many bids coming in for our players, and I expect Sherwood will be given a bit of cash. He may retain Cleverley on a free which wouldn't affect current budgets, and I think we'll have a stronger squad next year. I'm not saying we have two separate teams, one for league and one for cup, but if we have two proper players competing in each position, supplemented by some youngsters, we should be capable of handling it.

I'm very positive all of a sudden aren't I?   :scratch:
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:58 am

Breaking news................

With rumours circulating of another mass pitch invasion planned by Villa fans at the end of the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, Tim Sherwood has reacted with the team formation that he believes will provide most protection to his players, to avoid the joyous scenes of armband stealing, boot removing and Delph-chewing that were recently witnessed at the end of the FA Cup quarter-final victory over near-neighbours, West Brom:

http://sharemytactics.com/38816/

Last edited by De Kuip on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:51 am

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 498107619
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazrim Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:51 pm

I think that leaves Given a little exposed.
Mazrim
Mazrim

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:01 am

Mazrim wrote:I think that leaves Given a little exposed.

Yeah but he's a hard b'stard so he won't mind Very Happy

That's made me think though, for the semi, and - God I hope it happens - if we were in the Final, do you think Sherwood would stay with Given?

I'm sure he would but just wondered what others thought, and what others would do if they had Tim's choice?

UTV  Scarf Waving
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:33 am

Liverpool it is then , my nemesis , they always get in Villa's way , there is defo less pressure now, the Gerrard wankfest will be in full flow come April 19th !

If there is one team i despise in football , its Liverpool , bring them on !
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:08 am

I know it's an unpopular view, because I've said it a couple of times previously and been shot down for it, but I worry about the consequences of still being in the FA Cup.

One obvious effect was our match against QPR on Tuesday night. We were supposed to play that match on April 20th but it was rearranged for Tuesday because of our Cup semi final. If the match hadn't have been altered  we would have had SIX of our injured players fit again for selection (according to the accurate Physio Room site). I 'm not saying it would have guaranteed three points, but it would have made three points more likely.

It may be that the two points dropped could be the difference between relegation and survival. I'm all for a bit of glory but not at the cost of relegation.
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:45 am

Not fussed who we play at this point, it's a day out at Wembley at the end of the day & a much needed break from the complete tragedy we have endured since MON departed....& it wasn't that good under him really just a million miles better than whats happened since!

If we win we have to go through it all again against a team we seldom do well against probably in Arsenal...Though imagine if they lost the semi!!
The Utterer
The Utterer

Fa Cup semi final draw - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:06 pm

I don't think we'll beat Liverpool anyway.

But I maintain my stance, if we get relegated and blame the FA Cup, that's some weak-ass mentality. The players need to man the hell up. If we go down, we deserve to go down.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Yup. Might as well enjoy the day at Wembley for what it is and whatever the outcome.

There's every possibility that it'll be some before we return there. Unless of course we get into the play off final at the first or second attempt.
Thinman
Thinman

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Thinman wrote:Yup. Might as well enjoy the day at Wembley for what it is and whatever the outcome.

There's every possibility that it'll be some before we return there. Unless of course we get into the play off final at the first or second attempt.
Thinman, are you okay mate? Your posts are getting more depressing by the day, I'm getting worried aboutcha  :)
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2