The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Given vs Guzan

+9
VillaBill
Synopsis
ViewFromT2
Gracon73
kimbo
FoxyAV
NARLA24
KMitch
Trotters
13 posters

Go down

Given vs Guzan Empty Given vs Guzan

Post by Trotters Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:14 am

I thought Shay made a brilliant case for himself against Leicester to make Sherwood pick him as our number 1.

As well as that unbelievable save, his distribution was largely excellent. Given's kicks were extremely flat and belted out at full pace giving the opposition far less time to close the villa player down. So flat, in fact, that I did wonder the first couple of times if they were miss-kicks! His distribution (bar that stupid attempted pass to Cissokho when under pressure) is light years ahead of Guzan.

Assuming the new manager will start everyone on a clean slate, is the number 1 shirt now Given's to lose???
Trotters
Trotters

Given vs Guzan 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Given vs Guzan Empty Re: Given vs Guzan

Post by KMitch Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 am

I think so. Given put in a great performance today and I think he made a great case to start against Stoke. If he starts to show his age after a few matches, we always have Brad there, hopefully busting a gut in training trying to win his spot back.
KMitch
KMitch

Given vs Guzan 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:54 am

We have, in my view, the 2 best Goalkeepers in the game, in World Football infact. Given's save today was bloody class, but nothing that Guzan could not have done. It is now down to Sherwood to pick his team. I have an inkling and a bit of info that Given will be his first choice keeper. Just an inkling. Also Gabby will be going elsewhere. Sherwood will not put up with Gabby's attitude, walking around like some sort of fucking peacock whilst doing fuck all on the pitch. Got a feeling that Gabby will be fucked off, just a feeling.
Grealish will be in the fold. Don't forget that Sherwood was responsible for Harry Kanes rise at Spurs.
I also expect Cleverly and Sinclair, Okore, Bacuna, Benteke, Kozak, Hutton, Clarke, Robbinson etc to be given a fresh start.
We stagnated under Lambert, shame, but that is how life goes.
if the whole team can show the passion that Sherwood showed today then we have no worries.
UTV
P.S Took me 15 fucking minutes to type that shite. Oh well, fuck it.
UTV
NARLA24
NARLA24

Given vs Guzan 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:56 am

Trotters wrote:I thought Shay made a brilliant case for himself against Leicester to make Sherwood pick him as our number 1.

As well as that unbelievable save,  his distribution was largely excellent. Given's kicks were extremely flat and belted out at full pace giving the opposition far less time to close the villa player down. So flat,  in fact, that I did wonder the first couple of times if they were miss-kicks! His distribution (bar that stupid attempted pass to Cissokho when under pressure) is light years ahead of Guzan.

Assuming the new manager will start everyone on a clean slate,  is the number 1 shirt now Given's to lose???
Gonna be a close call mate
NARLA24
NARLA24

Given vs Guzan 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:47 am

Guzan's long balls weren't always that accurate, I once saw Jed Steer (!) in action for Villa and he was incredibly accurate. When we moved to keeping possession Lambert told Guzan to only ever roll the ball out to the defence or midfield and not to punt forward so we lost one of the things our front line was good at, attacking on the break at speed. All it took was a little flexibility, prime Weimann especially and anyone who could keep up with him to always start running as soon as the goalie collects the ball and then let the goalie choose to whom he kicks - or rolls or throws - the ball. I'd be happier with Given doing that. I like both goalies, it's going to be tough on Guzan if it goes to Given and it's already been tough on Given while Guzan's been in charge but he's still here and still doing his job extremely well. Guzan of course sat in the wilderness behind Friedel for years too.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Given vs Guzan 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:25 am

Got to be Guzan for me. We conceded too many goals from set pieces with Given in goal, simply because he can not command his area well enough. This is nothing new; wherever he has been number 1, they concede too many set piece goals. Throughout his entire career. That is not going to change now.

Shot stopping, there isn't that much difference. Distribution is relevant but nowhere near as relevant as set pieces. Mark Bosnich was the worst we've had for distribution but I didn't care because when the ball came in the box, he made that bitch his own. He was also as good a shot stopper as I've ever seen but that's by the by.

Don't get me wrong, we have a good number 2 and if Sherwood is going to stick with Given then so be it, but for set pieces alone it's not even a contest for me.
kimbo
kimbo

Given vs Guzan 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gracon73 Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 am

Good post this one, I was thinking the same thing yesterday during the game.

Given's distribution is much better and I think he a lot calmer than Guzan, I think that will help the back 4 settle and have more confidence what's going on behind them. Wasn't Given also voted most difficult keeper to beat in the Premier league once?

Mind you I have no idea what he was trying with that pass!!!! Given vs Guzan 1420239857
Gracon73
Gracon73

Given vs Guzan 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:33 am

kimbo wrote:Got to be Guzan for me. We conceded too many goals from set pieces with Given in goal, simply because he can not command his area well enough. This is nothing new; wherever he has been number 1, they concede too many set piece goals. Throughout his entire career. That is not going to change now.

Shot stopping, there isn't that much difference. Distribution is relevant but nowhere near as relevant as set pieces. Mark Bosnich was the worst we've had for distribution but I didn't care because when the ball came in the box, he made that bitch his own. He was also as good a shot stopper as I've ever seen but that's by the by.

Don't get me wrong, we have a good number 2 and if Sherwood is going to stick with Given then so be it, but for set pieces alone it's not even a contest for me.

"Wherever he has been number 1"...erm, you mean Newcastle? lol

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Given retain his place this week. Personally I won't be fussed either way as both are excellent keepers and both have strengths/weaknesses against the other. I think Given is a better organiser/communicator from what I've seen pitch side....just my opinion.
I think last season Given looked like he was coming to the end, I wasn't impressed at all...but this season he looks spot on again. Nice problem to have!

ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Given vs Guzan 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:59 am

ViewFromT2 wrote:
kimbo wrote:Got to be Guzan for me. We conceded too many goals from set pieces with Given in goal, simply because he can not command his area well enough. This is nothing new; wherever he has been number 1, they concede too many set piece goals. Throughout his entire career. That is not going to change now.

"Wherever he has been number 1"...erm, you mean Newcastle? lol

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Given retain his place this week. Personally I won't be fussed either way as both are excellent keepers and both have strengths/weaknesses against the other. I think Given is a better organiser/communicator from what I've seen pitch side....just my opinion.
I think last season Given looked like he was coming to the end, I wasn't impressed at all...but this season he looks spot on again. Nice problem to have!

Well no, there was Man City for a season, there have been 127 (and counting!) caps for Ireland, and a mate of mine who lives in Middlesbrough (poor bastard) watches them sometimes with his Boro-supporting missus (he's actually originally from Wolvo and is a Wolves fan; he's a Dingle living in the North East, which as I've mentioned to him, is not exactly as cool as an Englishman in New York is it :)) and when Given was on loan there, he text me to say he'd never seen a keeper so insistent on sticking to his line when a corner comes in.

I'm actually convinced that Given's failings on set-pieces is why he never got a move to a real top club; I remember when we signed him, lots of people in the media and our own fans were surprised because they all thought he'd go to Arsenal, but I do believe that is why top clubs never looked at him, because away from that he's genuinely as good a shot-stopper as there is out there, and by all accounts is a top bloke - I don't think I've ever heard or read anyone say anything but good things about him.

But yes, it's not a bad problem to have at all is it!
kimbo
kimbo

Given vs Guzan 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Synopsis Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:13 am

I just think its been such a long time since people have seen Given make a proper save they're getting a bit carried away with it. Guzan pulls off amazing saves all the time, only we forget about them as we still end up losing the games or its just one of dozens he has to make during a game.

Guzans distribution may be terrible (and it really is) but I would still prefer to start him over Given. Given just doesn't come across as powerful a presence in the box.
Synopsis
Synopsis

Given vs Guzan 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:32 am

Given did pull off a "worldie" but i am sure he is a vampire, defo scared of crosses , Peter Crouch next week , i think Guzan should come back in !
VillaBill
VillaBill

Given vs Guzan 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Gracon73 Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:35 pm

This is the same guy who came out for a cross yesterday and got battered, but got up dusted himself down and got on with the game?

Like everywhere else we need the battle for places, maybe it will help Guzan consider his distribution
Gracon73
Gracon73

Given vs Guzan 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Distribution to a keeper is like attacking flair to a fullback - an excellent attribute which can make a good player great - but not a priority. Shot-stopping, dealing with crosses, and commanding his box are the main skills needed and Guzan edges Given on this IMO
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Given vs Guzan 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Guzan no contest!
villabromsgrove

Given vs Guzan 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:36 pm

I have to agree with those who point out Given's weakness in commanding the box. It has always been his weakness and was very evident yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, if Guzan was injured I wouldn't be worried about Given stepping in, as many have pointed out he has many plus points. But overall Guzan shades it and to be fair he hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped.
DaveAV1

Given vs Guzan 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:23 pm

DaveAV1 wrote:I have to agree with those who point out Given's weakness in commanding the box. It has always been his weakness and was very evident yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, if Guzan was injured I wouldn't be worried about Given stepping in, as many have pointed out he has many plus points. But overall Guzan shades it and to be fair he hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped.
I agree, Given is an able and experienced back up keeper. Maybe Sherwood could make him Goal keeping coach to give him something else to do.
villabromsgrove

Given vs Guzan 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:25 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:
DaveAV1 wrote:I have to agree with those who point out Given's weakness in commanding the box. It has always been his weakness and was very evident yesterday.

I agree, Given is an able and experienced back up keeper. Maybe Sherwood could make him Goal keeping coach to give him something else to do.

Edit: He would be the most highly paid football coach in world football! Very Happy
villabromsgrove

Given vs Guzan 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Meath_Villan Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:50 pm

I would go with given Very Happy
Meath_Villan
Meath_Villan

Given vs Guzan 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:38 pm