The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aleksander Tonev

+7
Trezzy
Ned the Platypus
FoxyAV
thegaffer6
Andyh
heykey89
Tomy-Flemba
11 posters

Go down

Aleksander Tonev Empty Tonev Ready to Produce?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Four Four Two wrote:Aleksandar Tonev admits it has taken him time to settle at Aston Villa but now feels ready to aid their survival fight.
The 24-year-old's debut season at Villa Park has not been as fruitful as manager Paul Lambert would have liked, with the Bulgarian only starting six times in the Premier League.

It had been hoped that Tonev, who impressed for Lech Poznan last season, could provide Villa with goals and assists from midfield, yet he has struggled to make an impact.
Tonev, who has not started a game since December, told Villa's official website: "I hoped I would play more but I obviously needed time to adapt. But now I feel far more confident.
"It was difficult when I came here. I was in a new country and had to learn a new language. But I'm far more comfortable with everything now.
"I feel much better. The Premier League is very hard but I feel I have settled in.
"I am confident I will have more impact next season and hopefully also in the final games of this season."
Villa have not won any of their last five Premier League matches and find themselves five points above the bottom three with four games still to play.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/tonev-ready-produce-villa#Bs8DaSmCgWVJQOww.99

I haven't seen anything to suggest that he will ever produce for Villa. I know some of you guys think 'there's a layer there' but I just don't see it.

Back to top Go down

Aleksander Tonev Empty Re: Aleksander Tonev

Post by Tomy-Flemba Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:56 pm

I don't feel that the lad is too short on confidence. He looks willing to try something different and to that end I feel he deserves a chance next season. He just needs to calm himself down and stop feeling he needs to impress by going for goal from 35 yards out every time. The last couple of times I've seen him play I've felt he looked more assured.
Tomy-Flemba
Tomy-Flemba

Aleksander Tonev 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by heykey89 Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Agree. He gets the ball, runs 10 feet, shoots regardless of distance to the goal.
heykey89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andyh Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

As Ron used to say, 'Don't tell me..........
Andyh
Andyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

That's true, I guess you can't knock his intent. I just feel the quality is lacking with him. I think this is a level a bit beyond him. Maybe loan him out to the Championship to find his form then try him again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomy-Flemba Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:That's true, I guess you can't knock his intent. I just feel the quality is lacking with him. I think this is a level a bit beyond him.  Maybe loan him out to the Championship to find his form then try  him again?

If we buy enough quality this Summer then that's the option I'd go for.
Tomy-Flemba
Tomy-Flemba

Back to top Go down

Post by thegaffer6 Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 pm

He's been dire every time I've seen him this season, his decision making is atrocious, BUT:

He's a decent dribbler, with pace and a few tricks. However, he needs to learn when to pass and when he can go for goal; lost count of the amount of times hes blazed over the bar when there were team-mates in better positions. I do think that maybe with some better coaching he could be a useful squad player.
thegaffer6
thegaffer6

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:That's true, I guess you can't knock his intent. I just feel the quality is lacking with him. I think this is a level a bit beyond him.  Maybe loan him out to the Championship to find his form then try  him again?

Get Grealish back in over the summer and loan out Tonev. Rather than make a loss on players like Lowton or lose players like Gardner, Bowery or Clark I'd rather see them getting playing time in the Championship or first division if there are teams willing to take them on and try to develop them that way. Bowery shouldn't have been starting matches at Villa, especially out of position. He might still have good potential, who knows...
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Aleksander Tonev 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Championship player at best IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 pm

FoxyAV wrote:

Get Grealish back in over the summer and loan out Tonev. Rather than make a loss on players like Lowton or lose players like Gardner, Bowery or Clark I'd rather see them getting playing time in the Championship or first division if there are teams willing to take them on and try to develop them that way. Bowery shouldn't have been starting matches at Villa, especially out of position. He might still have good potential, who knows...

Throwing Baker and Clark in last season when we were in a relegation battle was poor imo. should have loaned in an experienced centre-back to partner Vlaar. Bowery too. Coming from Chesterfield to Villa and being clearly out of his depth yet persisted with while Bent rotted in the reserves?

I hope Grealish makes an impact next season, I am excited by him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:25 pm

thegaffer6 wrote:He's been dire every time I've seen him this season, his decision making is atrocious, BUT:

He's a decent dribbler, with pace and a few tricks. However, he needs to learn when to pass and when he can go for goal; lost count of the amount of times hes blazed over the bar when there were team-mates in better positions. I do think that maybe with some better coaching he could be a useful squad player.

I agree with this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ned the Platypus Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm loathe to judge any of our players based on performances this season. The lack of movement from the midfield up you'd do as well with cardboard cut-outs in the shape of each player.
Ned the Platypus
Ned the Platypus

Back to top Go down

Post by Trezzy Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:48 pm

We have to bare in mind that the player was recommended by Petrov, I think all foreigners deserve a second season at the top level just to give them a chance.

I can remember when Evra first came over, he was absolutely shocking for most of his first season.. look what he went on to do
Trezzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:50 pm

Trezzy wrote:We have to bare in mind that the player was recommended by Petrov, I think all foreigners deserve a second season at the top level just to give them a chance.

Funny you should mention Petrov. I remember how long it took him to become a good player for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Villa Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:50 pm

Was unlucky against Fulham which was only stopped by a fantastic save. In what i have seen he plays well n the wing and has a decent cross, think given time he could prove to be a great player. Tonev is a Petrov signing and not a Lambert one
Morgan Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Trezzy Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:54 pm

I think he has all the attributes to make it.. hes pretty quick, direct, decent control, dribble but hes frustrating because he spends all his time shooting so his decision making and team ethic needs improving but for what we paid for him and the wages hes probably on, worth keeping for me
Trezzy

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:34 pm

I wonder who saw the potential in these lower league foreign and domestic players? Vlaar and Benteke have done well, Bacuna is on his way if anyone can work out where to play him, I like Westwood a lot and El Ahmadi has an Ireland-esque ability to effectively harass and annoy the opposition without looking like he's ever doing or producing anything (goals spring to mind) but players like Lowton, Luna, Bennett, Bowery, Helenius (who?) and Tonev just don't seem to be developing. Combine that with Wiemann and Gabby firing blanks (at least Wiemann works his bollocks off), there are very few players coming close to fulfilling their potential. As pointed out above, it would be interesting to see what different coaching and management could do with this squad. Sure, we could just as well get rid of the lot and start again with a great big slug of money but a lower league loan period, like the one Grealish is going through, is what Tonev needs, away from the pressure and the spotlight of playing for Villa.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Aleksander Tonev 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by prmort Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:40 pm

He strikes me as the nervous type, this May or may not improve. I hope he makes it.... But I also hope we have some quality brought in so that he is not required. Given that it takes a few seasons to build a "good" squad, even with ample funding, he has some time to prove himself.
prmort

Back to top Go down

Post by Diablo Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Has to be the turkey signing of the season...out of his depth
Diablo
Diablo

Back to top Go down

Aleksander Tonev Empty Aleksander Tonev

Post by gdav Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Celtic winger on loan from AVFC Aleksandar Tonev has been charged with allegedly racially abusing Aberdeen defender Shay Logan.
What's everyone's views on this? Should villa get involved in any way??
gdav
gdav

Aleksander Tonev 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Already being discussed in villa chat mate :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down