The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Where are the goals going to come from?

+4
Thinman
mickeywya
Villa_Dan
Trotters
8 posters

Go down

Where are the goals going to come from? Empty Where are the goals going to come from?

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:39 am

Last season we scored less than 40 goals. Whilst the defence is obviously going to have to do a much better job than they did last term, I think we'll need to score 45-50 in order to be lower midtable and safe from our usual relegation struggle.

Question is, where would those 45-50 goals come from.

We can maybe safely assume that the defenders will chip in 5 for the season from corners or the odd rampaging attack.
But for the life of me I cannot see Gabby, Weimann and Bent getting more than 20 between them. Benteke is an unknown because we just don't know what kind of touch he'll have on his return and could well take a half-season to switch on. But put him down for 8.

That leaves our midfield to chip in with at least 12 goals.

Sounds easy enough when you look at our attacking options like Grealish, N'Zog, Gardner, Delph but will Lambert play that kind of fluid, attacking game or will he continue with last season's nightmarish tactics of letting the opposition have the ball all the like and then hopefully hit them on the counter?

Remember that there were games last year where we had no shots at goal for an entire half and sometimes only 1 or 2 all game!

I have a concern. And that concern is Lambert.

But if he changes his awful habits and makes use of the creative, athletic players we have then we might just get those 45 goals. But if he sticks to what he seems to prefer, I can't see anything other than another struggle.

Thoughts?
Trotters
Trotters

Where are the goals going to come from? 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Where are the goals going to come from? Empty Re: Where are the goals going to come from?

Post by Villa_Dan Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:22 am

I'm expecting 5-10 from Kojak. He's the type of player, IMO, who won't ever get you 20 a season but he'll consistently score those ugly, bundled-over-the-line goals
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Where are the goals going to come from? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Where are the goals going to come from? Empty Re: Where are the goals going to come from?

Post by mickeywya Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:36 am

I think Bent can do the job if Grealish and Nzogbia play. He'll get at least 5 goals before Benteke comes back.
mickeywya

Where are the goals going to come from? 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:19 pm

I think that the pithy, slightly cynical answer to the posted question is - they're not!

Hopefully I'll be wrong as I often am.
Thinman
Thinman

Where are the goals going to come from? 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnyVilla Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:59 pm

mickeywya wrote:I think Bent can do the job if Grealish and Nzogbia play. He'll get at least 5 goals before Benteke comes back.

Agreed. I think Bent has a few in him with the right players around him. The Gabby and Andi show would not be those players.
MinnyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:I'm expecting 5-10 from Kojak. He's the type of player, IMO, who won't ever get you 20 a season but he'll consistently score those ugly, bundled-over-the-line goals

From what I have seen from checking out Kozak is that he is a poacher, Darren Bent style but he gives that little extra more than Bent, I'm hoping for him to start chasing Benteke's tally when he comes back from injury.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Where are the goals going to come from? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Green Villan wrote:
Villa_Dan wrote:I'm expecting 5-10 from Kojak. He's the type of player, IMO, who won't ever get you 20 a season but he'll consistently score those ugly, bundled-over-the-line goals

From what I have seen from checking out Kozak is that he is a poacher, Darren Bent style but he gives that little extra more than Bent, I'm hoping for him to start chasing Benteke's tally when he comes back from injury.

From what I've seen he seems like a really hard-working grafter who will score goals but probably none that would make goal of the season count downs!! I can't see him ever banging in 20 a season, but double figures should be doable for him. I'd rather see him on the pitch than Gabby or Weimann.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Where are the goals going to come from? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:
Green Villan wrote:

From what I've seen he seems like a really hard-working grafter who will score goals but probably none that would make goal of the season count downs!! I can't see him ever banging in 20 a season, but double figures should be doable for him. I'd rather see him on the pitch than Gabby or Weimann.

Agree with all your points mate :)
Green Villan
Green Villan

Where are the goals going to come from? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbo Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:15 pm

I think this is a problem that has been overlooked as everyone is desperate for a defensive midfielder. The defence is looking stronger this year and we do need a DM, but goals keep you up, and until CB is back there is only Bent who can score regularly.
We clearly don't have the money or pulling power to get someone like Hernandez, even on loan. We could give Weimann the central role, or IMO a good signing would be Robbie Keane.
On loan so no fee, did well here before, still fit and scoring, needs a club to get fit for MLS. I reckon he would do well starting or coming off the bench, rotated with Bent, or as a number 10 playing off CB.
Also about time Roy Keane started pulling a few strings through his contacts.
Robbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:55 pm

There have been runourrs of benteke being fit maybe in September and missing 3 games.

Last edited by Eastie on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:38 pm

Can see Benteke and Kozaks goals combined still coming in at under 20 (17/18 maybe), i think Bent may get 4 or 5 and Gabby and Weimann maybe 7 or 8 between them.
bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down