The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar

+76
Dions_Bald_Head
De Kuip
Mr Beast
kimbo
Synopsis
Sensitive Sid
Trainspotter
scottyvilla88
Suits
aberdarevilla
Thinman
ejs1111
roba19
Dazzle
ulstervilla
Villa1967
jeffvilla
pcfbavfcoman
Spirit of Bosco Jankovic
Gracon73
MinnyVilla
thegaffer6
marko63
The.slow.divide
Dek of Villa
Andyh
Zidane
Fpuppys
jvilla
VillaBill
Malandro
The Utterer
Classof13
bruka
HarryAVFC
USVillan
Hols
achilles
Elagabalus
Morpheus
Olof Mellberg
mickeywya
mordecai
Aesorian
River
Rattler
Jim
GadgetMan
gdav
No Talent Jones
villabromsgrove
EbeneezerGoode
holtehero
My Old Man
cgale
Trotters
Sceptical Villan
Villa_Dan
DomAVFC
Green Villan
heystally!
GodzoneVilla
villashrew
VillaStarringBrockLesnar
prmort
Roncrete
RichRunner
erdingtonb24
Neil Hawkes
FoxyAV
KMitch
mDigital
CoE82
BournVilla
marcxc1983
Diablo
80 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Do you think we can convince Ron to sign an extension?

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar I_vote_lcap41%"Concrete" Ron Vlaar I_vote_rcap 41% 
[ 52 ]
"Concrete" Ron Vlaar I_vote_lcap59%"Concrete" Ron Vlaar I_vote_rcap 59% 
[ 75 ]

Total Votes : 127

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar Empty Ron Vlaar. Our Captain.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 pm

A few months ago, we were walking through the car park at Villa Park, about an hour after a game had ended. There were a few people hanging around but the players car park was nearly empty. Ron Vlaar came out and went out of his way to talk to some young fans and sign autographs for them.
Today, I am told, there were about 70 Norwegian Lions in the club shop. They had been on the ground tour and, luckily for them, the first team squad were training on the pitch. While they were in the shop, Ron Vlaar came in and let them take photos with him etc.

I have a lot of respect for Ron and I feel that we are fortunate to have such a great man as our Captain.

Back to top Go down

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar Empty Re: "Concrete" Ron Vlaar

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 am

I agree with that. Ron generally gives the impression of being a top bloke.

Not just that but he delivers on the pitch as both an individual and a leader of men. I believe that when Ron hasn't played in the league we have only picked up one point out of 18. I think when Okore comes back in we'll have a fantastic partnership for next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:38 am

Totally agree, he leads by example .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:45 am

We certainly need him at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 am

Top, top chap. Apparently he was very friendly with the fans and the staff in the shop.

Great leader on and off the pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:36 pm

That's a really great story Bald Eagle. Sure cements the opinion that his on the pitch performances give off.

When he signed, or when he was made captain I can't remember which, I seem to remember him talking about the great Aston Villa leaders of the past and how he hoped to emulate them. I really hope we go on a cup run next year. With a bit of luck on our side he ight just get to lift some silverware.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Him and Okore will make a great partnership!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:20 am

Agreed with all that has been said before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:35 pm

www.lazyjournalism.com

Man United Linked With Shock Move to Sign Aston Villa Centre-Back

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar Ron-vl10

Man United are set to make a move for Aston Villa defender Ron Vlaar according to the Daily Mail.

Reportedly incoming boss Louis van Gaal will look to bring in the Villa Park captain as a replacement for outgoing Serb Nemanja Vidic.

Such a move would surprise many, not least because at 29 years of age Vlaar isn’t by any means a long term successor to Vidic and is arguably not a player of the same calibre as the Inter Milan bound centre-back.

Vlaar has largely impressed with his no-nonsense strong tackling performances at Aston Villa but clearly those displays haven’t stopped Paul Lambert’s side from being embroiled in a relegation battle.

The former Feyenoord man is sure to be part of Louis van Gaal’s 2014 World Cup finals squad but arguably isn’t an improvement on the defensive options that will remain at Man United once Vidic and Rio Ferdinand’s contracts expire.

Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans are all arguably as capable as Vlaar and clearly are all younger than the Aston Villa man so a move to sign the big centre-back is a little hard to fathom.

Lazy link of a player a manager knows already going to club he is poised to join. Nothing to see here.

That said, I pissed myself at the bit saying Johnny Evans is at least as capable as Vlaar. Evans is as bad at football as I am.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Vlaar in a swap with Jones seems fair to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:29 pm

I think the following were all better villa defenders than Vlaar: McGrath, Teale, Ehiogu, Southgate, Mellberg, Johnsen, Laursen and Dunne.

I'd equate him with a Collins and obviously better than say a Davies. I would say his main value to is now is his leadership in a squad that is young and lacking composure. That he is one of our best players reflects that we are not as good as we usually are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Davies is twice as good as Vlaar I reckon Mel. Zat Knight was a bit better too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diablo Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:02 pm

That's some seriously shit journalism
Diablo
Diablo

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Ian wrote:Davies is twice as good as Vlaar I reckon Mel. Zat Knight was a bit better too.

I always thought Davies looked good because Laursen was beside him...though he has carved out a very decent career for himself at Hull. Either way, you have completed the point I was trying to make. That he is a crucial player merely illustrates how far we have fallen.

Back to top Go down

Post by marcxc1983 Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Remember when Lerner came in and there was all that talk of looking up to the European Cup winners...the banners, the chants, the legends paraded round Villa park. We need something along these lines next week. Get some of the class of 82 in there, in the dressing room and at Bodymoor Heath and gee up the lads! It's obvious that Lambert can't raise any sort of motivation amongst the squad! Get the squad watching the epics vs Inter Milan and Tranmere and let them SEE the reaction we all gave after those wins and tell them they can replicate that with a massive win on Saturday! We're clutching at straws now, our 'manager' won't do it so WE need to!!!
marcxc1983
marcxc1983

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:
Ian wrote:Davies is twice as good as Vlaar I reckon Mel. Zat Knight was a bit better too.

I always thought Davies looked good because Laursen was beside him...though he has carved out a very decent career for himself at Hull. Either way, you have completed the point I was trying to make. That he is a crucial player merely illustrates how far we have fallen.

I've used this metaphor before but when Davies was here he was the worst centre half at the club. Now he'd be the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Ian wrote:
Farrell_10 wrote:

I've used this metaphor before but when Davies was here he was the worst centre half at the club. Now he'd be the best.

Completely agree Ian, still fucks me off that we sold Cahill will never understand that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diablo Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

AndyD wrote:
Ian wrote:
Farrell_10 wrote:

Completely agree Ian, still fucks me off that we sold Cahill will never understand that.
Yep still moan about that to whoever will listen...
Diablo
Diablo

Back to top Go down

Post by BournVilla Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:35 pm

I've never been a fan of Vlaar. It's only because our other defenders are so bad that he's so popular. In another era (not that long ago either) he wouldn't be good enough to get in our reserves let alone the first team.
BournVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:39 am

Ian wrote:
Farrell_10 wrote:

Got it in one Ian. Great metaphor. When we signed Vlaar I didn't know much about him but a friend who follows European football and had watched him at the European Championships told me he'd be a very average signing.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 am

Farrell_10 wrote:
Ian wrote:
Farrell_10 wrote:

Got it in one Ian. Great metaphor. When we signed Vlaar I didn't know much about him but a friend who follows European football and had watched him at the European Championships told me he'd be a very average signing.

Good old villa fans, always ready to slag off our players, maybe people should be aiming at the villa through and through gabby, he's done sweet fa all season, and a joke of a premiership player, and if he hasn'tcone through the ranks would be playing non league.

Vlaar may not be a laursen or McGrath, but even them 2 would struggle playing alongside the chuckle brothers, he maybe the best of a rubbish bunch, but alongside a half decent partner I think he'd be very good, its a shame okore got injured.

If and when we are taken over, hopefully the new owners overhaul the youth set up as well as they 1st team, as the quality coming through is very poor.

Baker,Clark,Weimann,gabby just to name a few from the current bunch, I'm struggling to remember the last 1 we brought through that's gone onto better things.
CoE82
CoE82

Back to top Go down

Post by mDigital Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:28 am

I don't agree with some of the comments here about Vlaar. I think he's good. If one of Davies, Evans, Smalling, or Jones was here in Vlaar's place, they would have to play alongside Baker as well, in this struggling team.
Would they be any better? or as good?
mDigital

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:20 am

I agree with you. Davies needs a good partner to carry him. He looked great next to Laursen. He looks good next to Chester at Hull. Next to a weaker centre half he looks awful and has an almost Baker-esque tendency towards the witless. The thought of him next to Baker is the stuff of nightmares.

Evans is just plain shite. If he'd come through at any other club he'd be considered little better than Baker.

Smalling hasn't really done much since going to United and can be made to look weak against a decent centre forward (cf against us last season) but he's by no means a bad player.

Jones is one I'd take ahead of Vlaar, I have to admit.

Last edited by Billy McBingo on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:27 am

Love the man. Great player and Captain. A steal at less than 4 million. He is too old for a top club to come in and bid for him, unless we get relegated and we have to let him go for peanuts, then it wouldn't surprise me to see him go to a top 6 side for a couple seasons.
KMitch
KMitch

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 am

I thought he was out of his depth last season but he's found his feet this and is looking good. It might be that being surrounded by not so good players makes him look better but I suspect that where he not having to cover everyone else he'd do really well. When someone scores an own goal or whatever he's right in there trying to get their head straight again. His forward runs tend to end up with a good pass, if the defence was stronger it would be good to see some more of that, rather than relying solely on runs from defence up the flanks. It might be that some players thrive on being right up against it and that's what we're seeing with Vlaar.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

"Concrete" Ron Vlaar 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next