The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Mellberg Announces Retirement

+4
Leafs1201
Tomy-Flemba
Trotters
Green Villan
8 posters

Go down

Mellberg Announces Retirement Empty Mellberg Announces Retirement

Post by Green Villan Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:48 am

Mellberg Announces Retirement

Former Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg has announced his retirement from professional football.

The 36-year-old called time on his career following the expiration of his contract with Danish outfit FC Copenhagen.

"Today I ended my contract with FC Copenhagen, which will be the last in my football career," he said.

Capped 117 times for Sweden, Mellberg also names AIK Stockholm, Olympiakos, Racing Santander, Juventus, and Villarreal among his former clubs.

He made 263 appearances for Villa during a seven-year stint, which ended in 2008.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/aston-villa/news/mellberg-announces-retirement_168679.html
Green Villan
Green Villan

Mellberg Announces Retirement 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Mellberg Announces Retirement Empty Re: Mellberg Announces Retirement

Post by Trotters Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 am

Enjoy your retirement, King Olof. Alternatively, pop into to BMH and swear at Clark and Baker lots.
Trotters
Trotters

Mellberg Announces Retirement 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomy-Flemba Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:07 am

Will never forget his fist pump against the Blues while being subbed in the 5.1 hammering. You're welcome back at VP anytime Olof!
Tomy-Flemba
Tomy-Flemba

Mellberg Announces Retirement 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Leafs1201 Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:23 am

Enjoy your retirement King Olaf...
Leafs1201
Leafs1201

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 am

Good luck to him - always gave his best for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elagabalus Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 am

A Villa great.
Elagabalus
Elagabalus

Location : The Lost City: Time was on my side when I was running down the street it was so fine, fine, fine. A suitcase and an old guitar and something new to occupy my mind, mind, mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 am

official site wrote:

A tribute to retiring ex-Villa defender Olof Mellberg - from the man who signed him.

Former Villa defender Olof Mellberg announced his retirement from football last night at the age of 36. The Swedish centre-back made 263 appearances during a seven-year spell at Villa Park and became a hero to the claret and blue faithful. Ex-boss John Gregory - the man who signed Mellberg - paid tribute to the defensive collosus as part of a 'My Favourite Villan' feature for the Villa News & Record. Here's what Gregory had to say.

Olof Mellberg must have wondered if he'd made a big mistake on his first day's training at Bodymoor Heath - we introduced him to the delights of cricket!

Olof had just joined us from Spanish club Racing Santander and was probably expecting to get straight down to fitness work.

But it was a warm, sunny day and we decided to have a game of cricket on the astro-turf pitch as a gentle start to our pre-season preparations.

Olof admitted he had never played before, and it showed. He was hopeless.

We tried to show him how to bat and how to bowl but he didn't know which end of the bat to hold!

It was quite a strange introduction to Premier League football for him but once we got down to more serious business Olof was immense.

Despite giving the impression of never exerting himself, he was a player who always had something in reserve when he needed to extend himself.

He was very focused on everything he did, and he never went missing in a game. You knew you could always rely on him.

Before we signed him I'd read a few things about him and one or two scouts had mentioned him but when you are a manager people are telling you about players all the time.

Sometimes you take note, sometimes you don't, but I decided to go out to Spain to watch Olof play for Santander against Real Madrid at the Bernabeau.

He played right-back on that occasion, although I was more interested in him as a central defender which is where he played for Sweden.

I wanted someone with pace. I'd always admired Des Walker for that and I thought it would be a great advantage to have someone in the Villa defence who was really quick.

Olof played well that night so I went back to the hotel where Santander were staying to have a word with him.

After that I ended up following him around Europe, whether he was playing for Santander or for his national team.

Before one game against Switzerland, I decided it was make or break time. If I liked what I saw, I would try to sign him.

After 15 minutes there was a long ball over the top of the Sweden defence but Olof sprinted past the Swiss striker and cleared the danger.

I called his agent there and then, and said: "I'll take him!"

The agent was at the meeting when we got together with Doug Ellis to discuss details of the contract but he may as well not have been there.

Olof told us what he wanted and he wouldn't budge. After about four hours, we agreed to everything he had demanded.

He is a typical Swede - very stubborn and meticulous in everything he does.

Olof carried on doing the business for other managers after I left in January 2002 but I managed to persuade him to give me his shirt after his final game at Villa Park against Wigan six years later.

That's one of my most treasured mementoes.

Olof's popularity with the fans was understandable. He always took the time to sign autographs and pose for photos.

And what a great gesture it was when he gave a replica shirt to every Villa supporter who attended his farewell game at West Ham.

He will never be forgotten here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Just read a nice bit for Olof from Zlatan Ibrahimovic:

Class: Zlatan Ibrahimovic pays tribute to Olof Mellberg’s career with heartfelt Facebook message

Former Aston Villa defensive stalwart Olof Mellberg has announced his retirement from football at the age of 36.

The centre half, who also played at Juventus and Villareal, had spent the last 2 seasons at Copenhagen, but after making just 22 league appearances in that time, he’s decided to hang up his boots.

Fellow Swede Zlatan Ibrahimovic has paid tribute to Mellberg with a nice heartfelt Facebook message, recalling Mellberg’s retirement from the national team two years ago as a ‘great loss’.

Ibra also described the 117-time capped defender as the greatest Swedish defender of all time.

Read the message in full below, with the Swedish version below that.

”The day Olof Mellberg decided to quit the national team it was a great loss to Swedish football and the team. But to me personally it was an even greater loss. When I had him on the team I never had to look back because I knew he was behind me and I could concentrate on what was going on up ahead.

Olof was the person that trigged and challenged me. This drove me to want to do more on the pitch.

Olof had a winner mentality like no other. He simply refused to lose, not only in football but in practically everything. And when he did lose, which rarely happened, he refused to admit it. I think this mentality was what took him a long way in his career.

I’ve been doubly lucky when it comes to Olof. Firstly because I got to play with him, and secondly because I got know the person Olof Mellberg, not only the player.

If Olof in my opinion is the best Swedish defender of all times, I think the person Olof is even better.

It is sad that Olof now chooses to end his career because I’m sure he has much more to give.

I wish Olof Mellberg and his family all happiness and love in the future.

Thank you my friend.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/class-zlatan-ibrahimovic-pays-tribute-to-olof-mellbergs-career-with-heartfelt-facebook-message/
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by My Old Man Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Fcuk his retirement, sign him up...and do it now!
My Old Man
My Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Got to say though I've always thought Ibrahimovic was a bit of a douche bag but that message to Olof was a touch of class.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by BournVilla Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am

My Old Man wrote:Fcuk his retirement, sign him up...and do it now!

He'd still be a better bet than either Clark or Baker.
BournVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by My Old Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:07 pm

BournVilla wrote:
My Old Man wrote:Fcuk his retirement, sign him up...and do it now!

He'd still be a better bet than either Clark or Baker.

Exactly. Would probably make a good coach aswell, since people admire him 8) 
My Old Man
My Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:48 pm

We could do a hell of a lot worse than to employ him as a coach... thats exactly why it won't happen, more the pity!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down