The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Jeff Astle

2 posters

Go down

Jeff Astle Empty Jeff Astle

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:33 am

Its not often I comment on things related to our boing-boingy type neighbours but I just heard on the radio the most shocking account of former Albion striker Jeff Astle's death, as told by his daughter.

He choked to death on his own vomit, his own brain so damaged by repeated heading of footballs that he was simply incapable of being able to respond to the situation. The potential implications for football are immense given that a study of Astle's preserved brain has shown the damage is similar to that caused by boxing. So the balls are lighter now but even so, players must still be coming out of the game with brain damage.

Back to top Go down

Jeff Astle Empty Re: Jeff Astle

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:49 am

I liked Jeff Astle and it was a terrible end to his life. This is a light hearted look at happier times for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Chris that's awful. The poor guy and he died so young, 59 wasn't he?

I'll always remember him from the Fantasy Football show, so sad that his life ended so prematurely.

Back to top Go down

Post by brummiebaggie Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Some nice comments for Jeff here by real football fans. Jeff was a great bloke and still went to the games right up until his illness prevented him. The F.A. nor indeed the club have done enough to help the Astle family in there campaign. Hopefully this will change next season.
brummiebaggie

Jeff Astle 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:33 pm

I was working in a pub in Wolverhampton many years ago and they had a Dinner-Talk night with Jeff Astle.
The bloke was a natural comedian and some of the stories he told about his playing days had everyone in tears of laughter.
His family should be looked after far better than they are.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great white walnut Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:29 am

Met him once at a Sportsmans dinner in Wolverhampton, found him to be a very humble and approachable man
The Great white walnut
The Great white walnut

Jeff Astle 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum