The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd

2 posters

Go down

The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd Empty The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd

Post by bootneck Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Aston Villa v AFC Bournemouth, 12 February 1972
Score 2-1 to Aston Villa
Competition League Division Three
Venue Villa Park
Attendance 48,110

Starting lineup:
Goalkeeper Jim Cumbes
Right back Mick Wright
Left back Charlie Aitken
Centre half Fred Turnbull
Centre half George Curtis
Midfielder Pat McMahon
Midfielder Bruce Rioch
Midfielder Chico Hamilton
Centre forward Andy Lochhead
Forward Geoff Vowden
Winger Ray Graydon
bootneck
bootneck

The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd 0_star10

Back to top Go down

The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd Empty Re: The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:57 pm

Thought I'd add some video to help with the mood of your excellent post bootneck:

Back to top Go down

The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd Empty Re: The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd

Post by bootneck Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:Thought I'd add some video to help with the mood of your excellent post bootneck:

Thank you sir.  That's what Villa Park should be like every week.  3rd Division and on Match of the Day.  Unheard of.
Andy Lockhead, Chico Hamilton, Bruce Rioch etc.  Great great days.
bootneck
bootneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:14 pm

You are very welcome and thank you for your memories.

I don't think there are many clubs that could pull crowds like that in the third tier. Unbelievable. Is our biggest crowd in the past 20 years the 45,000 that came to see us beat Liverpool on the last day of the 1993/94 season before the Holte is knocked?

The potential for a 50,000 seater ground is here if we could just get things right in the boardroom and on the pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by pooligan Sun May 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I was at that Bournemouth game back in 1972. Great memories . It was on MOTD in the evening which was very rare back then and i can remember Bournemouth having the much feared duo McDougall and Boyer,who were scoring goals for fun .They could'nt match Andy Lochhead and Geoff Vowden though  Very Happy Very Happy 
pooligan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 10:03 pm

I was also at that game. It was a great occasion. Those days will never be repeated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 10:06 pm

What was the crowd against Sunderland when we came up?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Fergal wrote:What was the crowd against Sunderland when we came up?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 4:03 am

Anyone remember another 3rd Div era FA Cup tie against the Saints? We were drawn away and held them 2-2 on a gloriously sunny Saturday afternoon at The Dell. Then brought them back and beat them (2-1...Barry Hole and Peter Broadbent? Remind me, please, Jon) in front of 54800 at VP. I was in the Holte End that night and almost got crushed to death on the way out of the ground after the game.

Amazing times.

Last edited by Firestarter on Mon May 05, 2014 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 4:03 am

I remember those days, I used to sneak in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 4:06 am

Bet we wouldn't be able to sneak in nowadays, Ferg.

I recall it was standard practice to open the big double gates on Trinity Road part way through the second half so that folks could enter/exit the Holte End at will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 am

Firestarter wrote:Bet we wouldn't be able to sneak in nowadays, Ferg.

I recall it was standard practice to open the big double gates on Trinity Road part way through the second half so that folks could enter/exit the Holte End at will.
I used to crawl under the turnstile or squeeze up against someone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 4:15 am

Any excuse, eh? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 4:17 am

Now now. I was a kid back then :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 10:20 am

My old man used to lift me over the turnstiles or slip the guy a few bob.

Back to top Go down

Post by pooligan Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 am

I remember that Sunderland game . My girl friend and I had to get into the Holte at 1 30 pm to be sure of getting in. There were reports that up to 10 000 were outside unable to get in .I remember thousands of Sunderland fans arriving and not being able to get in and feeling sorry for them.
pooligan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 09, 2014 6:24 am

The good old 3rd Division - but look at the crowd Image30

My Div 3 cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down