The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Callum Robinson

+8
Synopsis
TJVillan
heykey89
whiteensign
FoxyAV
JavvieSmalls
Donnie Wyer
AntJac
12 posters

Go down

Callum Robinson Empty Callum Robinson

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm

The OS

Exclusive: Teenage hotshot Robinson on rise to senior setup
Callum Robinson 01026519

Callum Robinson has vowed to carry on playing with the same infectious enthusiasm that propelled him to the cusp of Villa's first team.

An impressive run of form for the club's U21 side has seen Robinson earn a promotion to the senior setup in recent weeks.

The 19-year-old hotshot was on the bench for Barclays Premier League games against Chelsea, Stoke, Manchester United and Fulham.

His upward trajectory began back in September when Paul Lambert handed him his first team debut as a substitute in the Capital One Cup clash against Tottenham.

Since then, Robinson has continued to shine at U21 level with 11 goals in 17 appearances.

Both Lambert and development coach Gordon Cowans have praised the England U19 international's goalscoring exploits and his exemplary attitude.

While Robinson knows he must bide his time for a chance on the top-flight stage, he has been thrilled with the opportunities that have come his way this term.

"I just love playing," said the Northampton-born attacker.

"I've been at this club since I was eight but even before then I've just always loved playing and watching football as much as I can to try and improve.

"People say that I'm always smiling. It may have helped me get there but it is still down to your ability. But I am a happy person.

"For the manager to see me and give me an opportunity to be on the bench, that's great.

"He gave me my debut back in September so that was a good feeling to know he has got faith in me. I was still 18 at the time.

"But if I can keep doing what I've been doing, I know the manager here will give me a chance in the future."

Despite developing a thirst for scoring goals at an early age with local club Soccer Stars, Robinson initially entered Villa's academy as a right-back.

During his progression through the age groups, he developed into a winger before U18s coach Tony McAndrew began utilising him as a striker.

It is a role the teenager relished in last season's NextGen Series when he helped Villa become European champions at youth level.
Callum Robinson 01026520

But things haven't always been plain sailing. At the age of 14, Robinson was hampered by injury problems and feared his claret and blue dream might be over.

It served as a wake-up call and fuelled his desire to be a success at Villa.

"When I first joined I was eight and I didn't realise the size of the step I was making," he explains.

"It actually hit me around the time I was in the U12s or U13s. I thought if I do well enough I can make it.

"But I had a bad season in the U14s. I had a lot of growing pains and I think I was close to getting released.

"There was a tournament called the Nike Cup where I got dropped. My dad was on to me and I knew I had to fix up.

"Luckily Villa had faith in me and gave me another year and a half. That is when I started kicking on a lot.

"I think I needed to be dropped to realise I wasn't doing well. Then I started doing well again and I got picked for England.

"Tony McAndrew helped massively because he gave me the opportunity in Youth Cups and stuff like that. That is when it hit me that I could do it and I got my scholarship."

The application Robinson showed to overcome those difficult days in the U14s has stuck with him.

Whether he finds himself warming up in front of 75,000 at Old Trafford or back playing with his peers in the U21s, the forward has vowed not let his positive attitude slide.

He has had positive conversations with Lambert about his development but knows there is still plenty of hard work to be done.

"That was a great experience to be on the bench at Old Trafford with 75,000 there," he said.

"But I would never act 'big-time' about it.

"The manager says I am progressing well for my age.

"There have been people calling for me to get in the first team starting and stuff like that.

"I know myself I am not ready to be starting. Obviously I'd love an opportunity to come on but that is down to him.

"I can't get too carried away because I am still only 19, but the manager has said I'm doing well and is happy with the way I'm training so that gives me a lot of confidence."

Back to top Go down

Callum Robinson Empty Re: Callum Robinson

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Lambert on Robinson

Manager on Monday: Lambert - Robinson deserved chance

Callum Robinson 01026523

Paul Lambert says he had no worries throwing Callum Robinson into the intense atmosphere of the Southampton game because of the forward's strong mentality.

Lambert admits that Robinson is "only a baby" in terms of experience at the top level.

But he believes the free-scoring reserve striker warranted a Barclays Premier League debut against the Saints.

The boss said: "Callum is only a baby.

"He's been doing really well for the reserves.

"He's got years and years to go before he can be classed as an established professional footballer.

"But he's on the right ladder at the moment.

"He's been doing great. I have always said it, if you're good enough, I will play you. He's deserved his chance.

"He's a really good kid.

"He has been on the bench quite frequently. I just thought the kid deserved a chance, regardless of the situation.

"Sometimes as a kid, you play without fear because you don't have the responsibility of an older lad.

"He's miles away from being the finished article but I knew he could handle it mentally."

Lambert also paid tribute to the boisterous claret and blue crowd who stuck with the team from first minute to last as Villa earned a valuable point.

He added: "The crowd were very good. They were brilliant.

"It was fantastic support. We need them.

"We need that support to get us over the line. But they were excellent."

Back to top Go down

Post by AntJac Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 pm

I have been hugely impressed with Robinson whenever i have seen him play. He deserves to start next game (drop Weimann and/or Agbonlahor) and let the kid go.
AntJac

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Agreed. Why not? Weimann has done the square route of fuck all this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnie Wyer Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:43 pm

I've been banging on for months for this kid to get his chance.
Donnie Wyer
Donnie Wyer

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by JavvieSmalls Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:Agreed. Why not? Weimann has done the square route of fuck all this season.

Ha! Agreed!!
JavvieSmalls
JavvieSmalls

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 pm

I'd rather see Wiemann play in the middle behind a striker, not on the right. Robinson is on form, neither Gabby nor Wiemann are. I was seriously hoping he'd be on after 60 minutes against Southampton, not for the last ten minutes. And why Bowery came on last week I haven't a clue.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Callum Robinson 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AntJac Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:12 am

Why was Bowery signed in the first place?

Its a bit like booking Frank Sinatra to sing at your wedding but on the special day you have a change of heart and hire Steve Brookstein instead.
AntJac

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:18 am

AntJac wrote:Why was Bowery signed in the first place?

Its a bit like booking Frank Sinatra to sing at your wedding but on the special day you have a change of heart and hire Steve Brookstein instead.

When we signed Bowery I went straight on the Chesterfield facebook page and asked what he was like. The responses I got didn't instil me with much confidence, in fact people were more than a little surprised that a premiershit club had not only looked at him, but actually signed him!!!
whiteensign
whiteensign

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:19 am

Back on topic, that Robinson looked ok for the 5 minutes he come on for....Well, he ran about a bit anyway Wink
whiteensign
whiteensign

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by heykey89 Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

I hope he will get a chance again this weekend. Looked promising last week.
heykey89

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm

He's getting bigged up a lot by club PR so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a start before the end of the season.

The latest piece

Marc Albrighton believes Callum Robinson will get claret and blue fans off their seats with excitement in the coming years - as he backed the striker to open his senior account sooner rather than later.

Albrighton says that Robinson has the wow factor - the ability to electrify supporters with his confident approach and insatiable appetite for goals.

He believes the reception Robinson received when he came off the bench for his top-flight debut will have given him a real shot in the arm.

And he thinks the young forward must keep focused and stay positive as he looks to make an impact in the weeks, months and years ahead.

He said: "Coming off the bench was a fantastic moment for Callum. And he deserved it.

"He's a great lad and a good character around the place. Most important of all though, he's a great player.

"He has the potential to be whatever he wants.

"The fans were excited to see him. You could see that by the crowd's reaction when he came on.

"He's worked his socks off in training. He's done brilliantly in the reserves. It was great to see him out there.

"He's exciting to watch. He has the sort of game that will get supporters on the edge of their seats - and off their seats.

"He definitely has a goal in him too so I think he will score his first senior goal sooner rather than later.

"That will give him a buzz when it happens but before that, the reception he received will keep him going!

"He will never forget that feeling of putting his shirt on, walking to the side of the pitch and getting a huge ovation. It will have amazed him, I think.

"Later that night, long after the game has finished, he will have been reliving it in his mind with a smile on his face.

"It's such a great feeling to be told you're coming on for your Premier League debut. It's one he will never forget and the way he was welcomed will have stood out for him.

"One of his first touches flew into the stands - and the supporters still applauded him. He can't do anything wrong at the moment!

"He just needs to keep his head down, keep working hard and listen to the advice of the manager and the coaching staff. If he does that, he will do well.

"He knows he still has a long way to go before he's the finished article and I am sure the manager will be careful with how he uses him but long-term as he progresses I think he can do well for us."

Albrighton thinks Robinson has all the attributes to be successful - on and off the pitch.

He added: "He has so much going for him. On the pitch, he's lively. He will keep defenders on their toes, he will chase them down, he is quick, he has some good tricks and he's certainly got a goal in him. He's got all the attributes to be a top striker.

"Off the pitch, he's a real cheeky character. He's bouncy around the place. He has a swagger. It's certainly not arrogance. It's a good confidence.

"It's important to keep that swagger. It's about not being overawed in and around the first team. You have to feel like you belong and you deserve to be there.

"Callum knows he deserves to be there. He's there on merit."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Gabby: 'Robinson reminds me a bit of myself'

Gabby Agbonlahor: Callum Robinson reminds me of myself

Callum Robinson Callum10

Gabby Agbonlahor sees glimpses of his younger self in Callum Robinson and has tipped the rookie striker to become an important player for Villa .

Robinson has been promoted to Premier League duty with brief cameos in the claret and blues’ draw against Southampton and defeat at Swansea, having made his senior debut in the Capital One Cup exit to Tottenham earlier this season.

Like Robinson, Agbonlahor was 19 when he made his top-flight bow eight years ago, and he is confident the latest Bodymoor Heath academy graduate will follow in his footsteps to become a first-team regular.

“He’s got a bright future,” said Agbonlahor. “He reminds me a bit of myself. I was a similar age when I made my debut. He’s learning a lot and he’s getting sharper and sharper through different training sessions, so he’s got a bright future at the club.”

Robinson showed willing during five minutes against Southampton, receiving a loud ovation from the Villa Park crowd, and also worked hard during a 23-minute run-out at Swansea, but was unable to make his mark on either game.

Agbonlahor has filled out physically on his way to becoming the club’s current longest serving player and admits Robinson will bulk up as he gets older. But he believes the under-21s’ top scorer already has the necessary nous to cause problems for Premier League opponents.

“He’s going to mature more as a player and his body shape is going to mature as well because he’s still young – I’m excited for him,” said Agbonlahor.

“He looks up to players. I do give him a bit of advice, but I think he’s that bright and that intelligent that he can do it himself.

“At any club it’s good that there’s still players coming through the youth system. It’s always a big thing, credit to the youth coaches.”

Agbonlahor himself ended an 11-game scoring drought in last weekend’s 4-1 defeat at Swansea with his first goal since New Year’s Day.

It took his tally for the season to four goals with his other two strikes coming in a home draw against Swansea and a win at Southampton in December.

Around a year ago a flurry of six goals in seven games provided half of his 12-goal haul in the 2012-13 campaign and helped Villa stave off the threat of relegation.

The 27-year-old Brummie is relieved to be back on the scoresheet at the end of a frustrating season, but admits points rather than goals matter most to him because of Villa’s perilous plight.

“It’s nice to score, but at this stage of the season it doesn’t matter who scores, I think it’s about getting the points,” added Agbonlahor.

“It was a disappointing weekend and to lose 4-1 against anyone in the Premier League is disappointing, but I think we’ve just got to forget about that, look forward to Hull and make things right.”

I have a sneaking suspicion we might see him start tomorrow... We need to try something different and somebody new and this lad is getting a lot of coverage.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJVillan Fri May 02, 2014 12:33 pm

I think he's being given too much responsibility too early. Of course, we don't have anyone else who is capable so he is getting game time. But last weekend Lambert sent him on at 2-1 to try and change the game. That's asking way too much of him at this stage.

I don't know how much he will be involved from now to the end of the season. I think we should be looking to loan him to a Championship team in 2014/15.
TJVillan
TJVillan

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 pm

I'd give him a chance. Can't be worse than Holt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 1:03 pm

TJVillan wrote:I think we should be looking to loan him to a Championship team in 2014/15.

Agree with this. One of my bugbears for a long time has been the way that we have failed to utilise the loan system for our young players. This has improved under Lambert with guys like Grealish and Carruthers being sent out to get valuable experience. I genuinely think that some of the young players would have developed better had they had that especially considering how they've often not been within a sniff of the first team. I think people like Clark and Baker would be better players now had they had this. Another case in point is Gary Gardner. Yes he has had injuries, but aside from two brief spells he hasn't had that experience picked up. Now we're in a situation that one of our brightest young players of recent years is at a crossroads in his career. Her hasn't done enough to make a new contract a certainty (he wasn't that impressive at Sheffield Wednesday, perhaps due to not being fully fit after his last injury) and as a consequence might have to move on to rebuild his career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Spot on there Billy. We have produced some good talents that jut never kicked on.

I'd loan out Robinson next season but bring Grealish into the squad. If Grealish still looks a bit raw, maybe send him to the Championship for a month then re-introduce him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 1:49 pm

I have never seen him play - is he any good?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 16, 2014 1:12 am

Robinson keen to extend Villa stay

Callum Robinson Callum10

Callum Robinson is expected to commit his future to Aston Villa despite the rookie striker’s new contract negotiations stalling.

The 19-year-old Bodymoor Heath academy graduate is a free agent this summer and has been unable to agree terms with the club.

There is a new two-year deal on the table, but Robinson feels his rise to the fringes of the first team is not reflected in the offer.

He is expected to resume negotiations after he returns from Villa’s involvement in the Hong Kong Soccer Sevens youth tournament next weekend.

Robinson, who hails from Northampton, has made the breakthrough to the first team in the past year, making five substitute appearances in league and cup.

His senior debut came in the Capital One Cup tie against Tottenham and in recent weeks he has been given top-flight cameos against Southampton, Swansea, Manchester City and Spurs.

Robinson, who scored ten goals for Villa’s under-21s in the season just gone, is reportedly attracting interest from relegated Cardiff and play-off finalists Derby.

Because of his tender age, under the Bosman ruling Villa would be able to demand compensation for the forward.

But it is understood it is unlikely to come to that, with Robinson keen to extend his stay at the club where he has progressed through the ranks since arriving as an eight-year-old.

Back to top Go down

Post by Synopsis Fri May 16, 2014 10:47 am

I just hope he and Grealish don't end up like the last set of academy graduates. They seem to have the right attitude though unlike most of their predecessors. I have seen them play a few times, and have to say they do look promising, but so did the last lot and we all know how they turned out  Flogging a dead hors 
Synopsis
Synopsis

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Inspiration Mon May 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Grealish is the only true prospect coming through. If kozak and benteke were fit all year and weimann and gabby were in form would anybody care if this lad was in danger of leaving on a bosman. Not even close to luke moores ability level IMO... Technically and physically, and he drifted away in favour of big marlon. Nothing to see here

Last edited by The Inspiration on Mon May 19, 2014 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Unfinished)
The Inspiration

Callum Robinson 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Can anyone explain why he was recalled from a promising loan spell to firstly sit on our bench and then not sit on our bench?

If Lambert feels he's good enough to recall, then use him. If not, let him continue his education in the lower leagues.

It's like Lambert is playing Football Manager, had a break for a PornHub wank and completely forgot he has this player available to him.
Trotters
Trotters

Callum Robinson 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Trotters wrote:Can anyone explain why he was recalled from a promising loan spell to firstly sit on our bench and then not sit on our bench?

Lambert made a rash panic decision, the bloke is an utter tool, I saw some idiot on another forum that actually claimed that Lambert is working wonders with our youth, is that guy high on LSD or something heavily narcotic? Lambert is even worse to youth than McLeish, at least the ginger one tried to get the youth involved.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Callum Robinson 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 am

He IS working wonders with our youth. They've a much better record this season than the seniors. :)
Trotters
Trotters

Callum Robinson 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:21 am

Another of Mr Lambert's masterstrokes, he surpasses himself!

Robinson must be mightily pissed off with all this!
achilles
achilles

Callum Robinson 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum