The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19

+6
deadbuzz
VillaBill
Army villain
FoxyAV
Dazzle
Saunders82
10 posters

Go down

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19 Empty Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19

Post by Saunders82 Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:08 am

This game as is usual recently is a key game in as much as we need 3 points, I'm hoping that last weeks win was the start of winning run, we shall see, I think we have enough to shade it UTV
Saunders82
Saunders82

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19 Empty Re: Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19

Post by Dazzle Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:41 am

It’s very simple from here onward, we have to get 3pts from every game we go into. To have any chance of playoffs we will likely have to get 75-78pts, 36pts more than we currently have, or 2.1-2.2pts per game. We require a winning run of games very soon, a run of at least 7-8wins. We have games coming up against Sheffield Utd, WBA, Derby, Stoke, Brentford, Birmingham, Forest, & Boro. We have to win all the home games and not lose the away ties. I think we’re struggling to make playoffs this season, unfortunately.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19 Empty Re: Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19

Post by FoxyAV Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 am

Four points off the playoffs, I think we'll be fine. I don't think we're in any way ready for the Premier League and I'm not convinced we have the money to buy survival (or necessarily the manager so soon!) but we do have the players to make the playoffs.

To put it this way, the goalie already shows signs of improvement and needs a little time to settle (see Gollini, Johnstone and Nyeland). Hutton is acceptable at RB, Chester excellent at right-sided CB, some kind of combination of Hause and Mings at CB and LB, Jedi cementing the midfield together, Grealish and McGinn we know are excellent, Albert and Green on the wings, Tammy up front - we're starting to see a decent team winning, certainly one capable of winning the playoffs and possibly even the league had we not been screwed from the start.

We have some top name subs too, Hourihane and Kodjia for example.

Jedi's position is an issue, we really did need someone younger and faster but he should be fine for the rest of the season. He'd better be because I have no faith in Whelan.

If we do go up the main issue is we have borrowed players not seemingly good enough for PL teams so we'll be taking about three players with us (Grealish, McGinn and Chester, and hopefully trying to buy Tammy and Axel, although hopefully Green will make a case for himself) and starting again. All our youth players like Davis, Audrey and so on will be sold on without us ever really giving them a chance.

I have a feeling loaning Hogan to a direct rival is going to prove a costly mistake.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Agree we need to start a winning run , just hope the new players settle in and make a impact. With Grealish coming back we need to push on.a good win today UTV.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Chester not playing, Mings in @ CH, 1-2 Villa ⚽️
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzz Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:17 pm

If we can't beat Reading, I really will start losing faith in Smith. Have to start showing something, winning games every four or five games isn't good enough, no matter the circumstances. Too reliant on Abraham for goals, need the likes of El Ghazi and Adomah to contribute more, McGinn as well.
deadbuzz
deadbuzz

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Rubbish.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Defensively, much better but Adomah and,particularly,El Ghazi need to start contributing a lot more quality in terms of getting to the dead ball line and putting in some decent crosses.El Ghazi loses the ball far too much.Tammy was a bit off key today. Mings (my namesake) looks a good acquisition though.

PS. Forgot to mention Kalinic. Big tick for him today.
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Well we didn't lose, we didn't throw away a lead, we didn't concede a goal. Not sure we picked up any injuries?

In fact we gained a place in the league, we kept a clean sheet, we've picked up a point away and AFAIK all players have lived to tell the tale.

Not the most glamorous synopsis, not the full 3 points we would have obviously wanted (or in some cases because some people just can't avoid it.... expected) but Leeds are losing, Baggies lost, Derby only managed 0-0 last night and Swansea got fucked by Bristol after thinking they can pull the transfer strings on Thursday.

It's cold outside, so safe travels to our away fans and everyone else keep yourself wrapped up and warm.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:25 pm

I thought we were unlucky. It looked like a penalty in the first half but Abraham's hand ball happened in front of me and it looked nothing more than bringing the ball down with his chest. How one was and one wasn't I don't know. The referee was appalling throughout to both teams but mainly Villa.

Mings is just what we need at CB and he and Elphick played well today. In fact I'm not sure Chester will waltz straight back in again when he's fit. Adomah and El Ghazi looked like they couldn't be arsed, virtually zero effort whatsoever. Whelan had a go to start with but spent the last half hour he was on the pitch jogging around watching everything go on around him. Hourihane was ok, Taylor was ok and only made one mistake I can think of, Hutton ok too.

In contrast to the two wingers looking like they didn't want to be there, McGinn and Tammy really did. Throws for us seem to involve Whelan looking on as a distant observer even if he could run a couple of yards into space and make a contribution. Same for both wingers. McGinn on the other hand was darting into space and worked his balls off. No end product but he just looked like he was doing all the work. Tammy was getting pissed off and telling everyone what to do, I still can't get my head round him being loaned in and giving the joint biggest shit of all our players. He made a good nuisance of himself and had two or three creditable chances that on another day would have gone in (did anyone see Son's goal for Spurs?).

Finally Kalinic. Two excellent saves, bright and speedy with his distribution, he played well.

MOTM McGinn. He never stopped. Creditable mention to the two CBs, Kalinic and Tammy. The rest (well, Hourihane was kind of OK) can do one. I like Albert but he contributed virtually nothing. The sooner we implement the great plan the better but I fear Grealish will be off before it all starts to come together next season.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I forgot Kodjia - who I didn't notice come on - and Carroll, who looks very weedy and contributed a two-foot tackle that earned him a yellow card. Unless the latter shows some impressive moves I think I'd rather see Grealish, McGinn and Lansbury in midfield!
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzz Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Since Grealish has been out we've played ten, and only won two of those games, in the first of those wins against Swansea we needed a last minute penalty save from Nyland to save the three points, and in the second last week against Ipswich we got the three points thanks to a dody penalty decision in our favour. It's a run that's all the more damning when you look at the teams we've played... Preston, Swansea, Leeds, Reading, Ipswich, Hull, Wigan, QPR, and Stoke... From that lot we managed eleven points out of a possible 27.

Just have to hope that Grealish isn't far away now, and  he can somehow get us playing good football, and winning games on a regular basis again. Not sure what it says about Smith being so reliant on one player, but I think it's the only glimmer of hope that we have.

Last edited by deadbuzz on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
deadbuzz
deadbuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:48 pm

deadbuzz wrote:Just waiting for Grealish to come back now, and hoping that he can somehow get us playing good football, and winning games on a regular basis again. Not sure what it says about Smith being so reliant on one player, but I think it's the only glimmer of hope that we have.

and we won't have grealish next season.

Have concerns about smith going forward to be honest. We seem to be winning 1 game in 5 - and those victories come from another player who won't be here next season.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzz Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 pm

smetro wrote:
deadbuzz wrote:Just waiting for Grealish to come back now, and hoping that he can somehow get us playing good football, and winning games on a regular basis again. Not sure what it says about Smith being so reliant on one player, but I think it's the only glimmer of hope that we have.

Have concerns about smith going forward to be honest.  We seem to be winning 1 game in 5 - and those victories come from another player who won't be here next season.

If this form continues then I don't think Smith will be here next season, these owners won't mess about like Wyness and XIa did with Bruce. Having said that, I don't think that our current form will continue, I can't see us making the play-offs, but I think Smith will do enough to earn the chance to build his own side in the summer.
deadbuzz
deadbuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:27 am

smetro wrote:

Have concerns about smith going forward to be honest.  We seem to be winning 1 game in 5 - and those victories come from another player who won't be here next season.

I am not so sure? Smith may be the right man for next year when we have no budget, a side decimated by returning loans and players moving on (not just Grealish but Kodija, McGinn, Kalinic and Chester) players out of contract such as Jedi, Whelan, Green, Bunn, Steer, Hutton and Elphick. All that with no parachute payment and FFP to contend with? This is how Smith has always worked? No money and losing your best players each year?

The big question is can we afford to lose Smith? I would prefer to see our DoF go!
DelboyVilla

Match Thread Reading v Villa 2.2.19 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm

I have faith (for now) in Smith and the way the club is going. Building rather than buying a team. We've had three shots at promotion with experienced and expensive players being managed by known quantity Bruce and failed. We're now going the other way and I expect to see more interesting and promising players coming into the academy and being loaned out to lower league clubs.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm

The probable scenario of not getting promoted will almost certainly see us lose Grealish and I’m pretty sure McGinn would have interest from a higher level too, these accompanied by the loss of our loan signings will obviously mean this summer will see huge changes, add the guys out of contract too , this summer will be key in how we move forward.
As stated above, we’ve tried the proven manager & proven player roue & failed, the revolution is upon us
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down