The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread

+9
De Kuip
big ming
FoxyAV
rogermuffin69
Saunders82
Army villain
deadbuzzardalive
achilles
smetro
13 posters

Go down

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread Empty Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread

Post by smetro Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Quite a significant one as well - Sure with 42k and DS making his home debut - we squeaked home 1-0 - followed two away defeats to in form teams, where the manager had little time to impose himself or his ideas on the squad.
Now he has had a whole week - still not massive amounts time, but the opposition aren't that strong, a home defeat is unthinkable , a narrow victory, or draw, would have us dreaming of a new dawn - no tonight tonight has to to be all guns blazing attacking football - sure there will slip ups and mistakes - but we need some reassurance that we are barking up the right tree with Dean Smith.

I think we will get it - a nice 3-1 home victory to savour as we approach a tricky of fixtures...

The other thing bothering me .....

is anybody left on this forum ?
smetro
smetro

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread Empty Re: Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread

Post by achilles Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Think it will be another close 1 - 0 as Bolton are struggling and we have never coped playing against struggling teams that shut up shop.

Not many left now @smetro
achilles
achilles

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread Empty Re: Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:32 pm

There's seems to be a lot of positivity surrounding this fixture, which is worrying, because whenever Villa fans are confident about anything, something usually goes wrong. Whilst I expected ups and downs under Smith to begin with, losing two in a row was very disappointing, even though I can see signs of improvement... We need to get back on track today, hopefully we've got our dancing shoes on.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Well he has had a week with the team, so will go with a villa win, 2 nil to villa. The team are responding to Smith tactics. UTV.
Army villain
Army villain

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Yes confidence is high for this one BUT we do have history of cocking things up when its like this, the thing is now ids the time we need the team to mirror the fans confidence, we have some tough looking games coming up we need a boost, we have made silly mistakes which have cost us the game recently lets hope that is behind us. I'm going to mirror the said confidence and say Bolton will get a thumping, ALL IT TAKES IS A SPARK, UTV Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 1815562058 Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 1815562058 Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 1815562058

And yes where has everyone one gone on here??????
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Perhaps they are saving it for the second half
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:46 pm

I missed the start, but saw lots of comments on how well we're playing, just my luck that when I do start watching we look pretty poor, especially considering we're playing one of the worst teams in the league at home. Need more more creativity from Adomah and Kodjia. Also if any of Bunn, Moreira or Šarkić aren't any better than Nyland, then they might as well all quit now.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by rogermuffin69 Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:32 pm

woo hoo! 2-0.
still way to sloppy with the ball, but i’ll take it. Deano’s slowly teaching them to play the right way!
rogermuffin69
rogermuffin69

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by rogermuffin69 Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 pm

The next 6/7 games will be be very entertaining/nerve wracking, i think!

it’s so much fun watching us again, i almost went there today to see it in person, i really needed this as life generally a grind at the moment.

we’ll need to keep start keeping a lot more some clean sheets, ( if this stay like this ) if the new gk coach ( ex player neil cutler) can help nyland, maybe we got a gem?

rogermuffin69
rogermuffin69

Back to top Go down

Post by rogermuffin69 Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 pm

huttons been well good today, i don't remember hardly making a mistake, surprised me!
rogermuffin69
rogermuffin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:47 pm

Its progress at last, yes even Hutton looked OK, and a great save by Chester, to make it a clean sheet. UTV.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Pretty good performance overall, and good to get a clean sheet, I thought Chester, McGinn, Grealish and Tuanzebe were all excellent, Hutton was pretty decent as well to be fair. I feel we need more from our forward players in the final third though, especially Adomah and Kodjia.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Bolasie looked superb when he came on, I hope we can start him soon. I wonder what happened to El Ghazi.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by rogermuffin69 Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 pm

I think el ghazi, in training, is not tracking back, tackling or even trying to. Or maybe he's still getting used it us?
rogermuffin69
rogermuffin69

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:47 am

Efficient rather than good. Pleased with the result,obviously, but the goalkeeper is really starting to worry me.
Tammy worked hard but his ball control lets him down.Leggy,like Bambi on ice sometimes. Kodija and Adomah are currently no better than 50% at it. I would start Yannick now he looks fit. Jack looks better, the further forward he plays.
I dread to think what the result might have been if James Chester had not made a wonder goal-line clearance.
DS positive influence continues to be seen but there is another 25% improvement to be had in time.
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 am

Missed yesterday's game as was in london navigating the wonders of the Austrian Embassy, if you think British bureaucracy is bad you aint seen nothing!

Caught the last bit of commentary on talksport - sounded like Nyland is an absolute flapper.

Saw the Chester clearance on youtube - that was special.

We seem to get off to fliers but are letting teams back in, which we need to get sorted. Happened with swansea although they didnt capitalise, nor did bolton, but norwich and QPR both did - probably indicative of their good form.

I don't expect us to control all 90 mins of every game but I do think we should be avoiding the pattern of first 20 mins in charge then next 20 flapping cos we've taken the lead.  I'd like to see us score more than once in the periods where we are bossing the game.

Still, another 3 points and another chance for Deano to analyse matchdays and for players to learn and enact what's being asked of them. Jack in a forward role already seems to be showing results.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Allo, allo, we have a match tonight - V Bolton match thread 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:29 am

I heard a tiny snippet of Deano being interviewed on the pitch after the match and he was talking about the wingers drifting in and encroaching on Grealish and McGinn's operating area, cramping their style.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:04 am

Good enough - bottom line we were well worthy of 2-0 win. I do fear over the coming weeks we are in for the mother of all hammerings !

The good stuff
The players seem to have brought into what Smith is trying to do - and in fleeting patches it worked. Tuanzabe is starting to play really well. He reminds me of the late Ugo Ehigou

The bad stuff
The defence is still very suspect - sure we want to pass out from the back - but often we tied ourselves in knots.
The final third is as a bad as ever - it was a great link up for the first goal. But very often we made the wrong decision in the final third - this has been a problem for a while now.
Nylan looks a bag nerves and way out of his depth at this level - I fear for him if he is between the sticks against the noses.

I am taking comfort in that it looks like we will be able to stay afloat in the division by beating average and poor teams at home. Any points on the road are a bonus at this stage IMO.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Wookster Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:52 am

Kodjia needs to start to the simple things rather than the spectaular. Could have been 3 up if he hadnt tried to bicycle kick from the 5 yard line
Wookster
Wookster

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 am

Kodjia won't be at the club for long unless he bucks his ideas up, totally selfish and ineffective!
In fact the problem is beginning to be the strikers. I thought Tammy had his boots on the wrong way round, he couldn't control anything and was dismal. Adomah works hard but gets caught offside too much and really offers us nothing attacking wise anymore. Bolasie was good when he came on but I thought he was showboating, can't possibly start him as he was totally knackered after 15 minutes and panting on the touchline. The attack is a major concern at the moment and they need to sort them selves out. Oh, Hogan has no future at the club, I am not certain he even touched the ball when he came on.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Good to hear Smith saying he was unhappy with a lot of the performance - so used to Bruce talking about a completely different game.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Well he has another week to sort out the team, the players are responding to his style of football. Agree with the strikers, need to sort themselves out. Just hope the goalkeeper coach can get some confidence in our goalie.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 am

OK performance, not as good as QPR, but we got a result! Chester and Tuanzebe seemed to have the attitude that we were not going to concede no matter what! Which is good to see as we will gain a lot of confidence from this clean sheet. Am I worried about the next fixtures, no as I think with more time on the training pitch and an international break looming we can only improve further! Plus we will raise our game against the better sides?

As for the front line? Remember Tammy is young and seems to have the same first touch as Lukaku did at his age, must be a Chelsea thing? Kodja needs telling that a headed goal counts the same as a bicycle kick?

As for this place being quiet? I think after the play offs final disappointment, Xia's clownish money management, the takeover, sacking Potato Head and appointing Deano we are all a bit done in?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:18 pm

achilles wrote:Kodjia won't be at the club for long unless he bucks his ideas up, totally selfish and ineffective!
In fact the problem is beginning to be the strikers. I thought Tammy had his boots on the wrong way round, he couldn't control anything and was dismal. Adomah works hard but gets caught offside too much and really offers us nothing attacking wise anymore. Bolasie was good when he came on but I thought he was showboating, can't possibly start him as he was totally knackered after 15 minutes and panting on the touchline. The attack is a major concern at the moment and they need to sort them selves out. Oh, Hogan has no future at the club, I am not certain he even touched the ball when he came on.

It’s opinions, of course, but I thought Kodjia had a decent game. Yes he might have kept it simpler rather than go for the spectacular volley, but that’s just a little fine tuning on the training ground combined with a bit more team confidence. 2nd half, especially, he was very effective and put a chance on a plate for Abraham who should have scored. Kodjia was regularly skinning people down the left and creating panic in opposition defence. Thought Kodjia was definitely the best of the forward 3, Abraham being poor. When Bolasie is up to speed and fully fit it might be more productive to have Kodjia as the front man with Bolasie and Adomah out wide. Abraham is certainly going to have to improve on that showing.
Overall I think we can see we’re looking to create more and that will, inevitably, lead to offering up a chance or two to the opposition. The key is to improve the conversion rate of our chances.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Dazzle wrote:
achilles wrote:Kodjia won't be at the club for long unless he bucks his ideas up, totally selfish and ineffective!

It’s opinions, of course, but I thought Kodjia had a decent game. Yes he might have kept it simpler rather than go for the spectacular volley, but that’s just a little fine tuning on the training ground combined with a bit more team confidence. 2nd half, especially, he was very effective and put a chance on a plate for Abraham who should have scored. Kodjia was regularly skinning people down the left and creating panic in opposition defence. Thought Kodjia was definitely the best of the forward 3, Abraham being poor. When Bolasie is up to speed and fully fit it might be more productive to have Kodjia as the front man with Bolasie and Adomah out wide. Abraham is certainly going to have to improve on that showing.
Overall I think we can see we’re looking to create more and that will, inevitably, lead to offering up a chance or two to the opposition. The key is to improve the conversion rate of our chances.

That pass to Abraham was a 'lazy' pass with the outside of his foot which didn't help Abraham as the ball had no pace on it and was bobbling, although Abraham should have done better. Everything about Kodjia is lazy, yes he has the ability to beat players, although it is pointless unless there is an end product. He doesn't really defend unless it is at the front but even then hardly raises a sweat. I accept he can score some great goals although he will never be a team player, that is the problem and why ultimately he won't figure in Deans team. We are slowly getting away from a bunch of individual players and getting more towards an actually team which I am certain Dean is aiming towards.

Bolasie is another player who undoubtedly has an abundance of talent especially at this level but once again for all the excitement and panic he caused absolutely no end product. If Bolasie put his mind to it he could easily score 20 goals plus in this league even just coming on for 20 minutes at a time, he is that good!

As you say it is all about opinions and how people see it differently and so it should be otherwise it would get boring! UTV
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down