The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD

+13
VTID85
Boldfinger
Wookster
Dions_Bald_Head
Sky
deadbuzzardalive
Villa_Dan
Jae1411
Trotters
FoxyAV
Saunders82
De Kuip
AstonThriller
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD

Post by De Kuip Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Saunders82 wrote:
De Kuip wrote:
Saunders82 wrote:I can't believe some of the comments on here today, yes we haven't ripped up trees but we have been workmanlike & had some breaks for a change, so hey I don't care if Brucie keeps his job for a bit, 3 points and a few goals AWAY & ON TV will do for me. Do I need to remind everyone of the famous quote "From little Acorns", I just hope we don't take our foot off the gas in the second half. Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 1520050566 Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 4025243045 Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 1520050566

I can't believe that you can't believe some of the comments on here . Have you been in hibernation or something? Look it's fecking great were hammering them and yes we'd all love corner turned and a charge to the premiership, and let's hope it happens. But surely you cannot blame people for feeling pissed off at the dross Bruce normally serves up. So, whilst I'll be feeling particularly great tonight if we win, especially as its all going tits up in the monkey house down the slums, but if you think I'm gonna be singing from the rooftops that it's all come good, we'll I ain't! Not just yet.

DK I don't blame anyone for having a go, I get as pi**ed off as the next fan maybe even more so as I've seen us rebuild from the 3rd Division to win the European cup, but believe me it started with a little bit at a time. I never said we were brilliant but that I couldn't believe some comments when we were having a go, at this point in time personally I'm not too bothered how we win/play, its the points that count & points build CONFIDENCE & winning mentality, if at some point in the future we feel Brucie has taken us as far as he can & we're not improving then I'm sure he will be moved on, and before you say it we haven't improved that much, I agree but we are 6 without a loss with 3 clean sheets, little acorns as I said. lol!
Yeah fair point - I too have seen many ups and downs for Villa and tbh if Bruce has learned 442 is good, Adomah and Davis pick themselves and never to play Hutton again, then tonight will have been worth something. Plus 13th looks a damn sight better than 18th and keeps us just about close enough to the play offs for me not to panic too much, but do you know what I still cannot have any consistently positive feelings whilst Bruce is at the helm. I can't see that changing. Since the day he walked through the door I'm not sure that he's ever picked the same players in the same positions twice or more in a row. That in itself is shocking.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 Empty Re: Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Villa Ranger wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:Ok, found it. Wasn't too bad, but I think he will regret the last 20 seconds of that interview. Does himself no favours.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11039702/bruce-not-getting-carried-away

I don't think he'll regret it at all.

And why should he?

He's just overseen our biggest away win for two-and-a-half years, when people have been calling for him to be sacked.

He's entitled to have a bit of a swipe back, and it's not as if he's had a 'Keegan-style' meltdown on camera.

As the saying goes, don't give it out if you can't take it.

As for the 'hysteria' comment, I have some sympathy with that.

This forum has made uncomfortable reading lately and some of the comments and thread titles?... 'Hysterical' is definitely a word that came to my mind.

I'm sorry but, if you're posting on a Villa forum that you actually want Aston Villa to lose a game, then in the words of my Belfast-born-and-bred stepdad, you need to "cop yourself on".

I think a manager that has had us playing utter shit having us below relegation candidates, despite having the best squad in the league, the highest wage budget and spending what is astronomical amounts (in this league) on players, should accept criticism and take it on the chin. He's paid millions, he isn't doing this of charity.

Fact is that we have been shit, we still are playing shit, yet he is paid a huge salary to get the best squad in the league winning over the likes of Brentford. He's by large doing a terrible job. Getting a fit over criticism and turning on the fans just shows he isn't cut out for a job like this.

If anything today made me even more certain I wNt a new manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Well, I don't really know how to feel about that tbh. Because when you look at the scoreline how could anyone complain? But having watched all ninety-four minutes, I found it to be a very scrappy affair with our tactics pretty much consisting of sitting back and playing a long ball up to Davis for him to hold up and bring others into play. It worked yes, but by McGrath the style leaves a lot to be desired.

I guess we can only hope that 442 will churn out the results just like they have so effectively for Sheff Wednesday and Brighton over the last few years in this league. We clearly have a lot of class in that team, they just need to put it all together now and go on a run.

Ratings

Johnstone= Not much to do but you can tell he's grown so much over the last year with us.

Elmo= Done Ok tbh. Kept his man on that wing in check, got forward well and supplied a great cross for Davis

Chester= Thought he was brilliant. Calm on the ball, snuffed the danger when needed. Got his headers in etc. Done really well back there.

Terry= OUTSTANDING!!. Imo his best performance thus far. He just oozed class out there with his positioning, headed clearances and blocks. And he was calming everyone down aswell whenever Barnsley has a spell of pressure. This is the Terry we needed to see and long may it continue.

Taylor= Got up and down well and had a tidy game.

Adomah= When Green got injured I looked at Albert's stats from his last season at Boro, and it came to my attention that he played most of that season on the left-wing to great results. So it's no surprise that he's looked class today.

Hourihane= Got up and down the pitch, put in some good tackles and also passed the ball quite well when needed.

Whelan= Was very sloppy at the start of the game but as the game went on I thought he grew into it. Made some vital blocks and tackles and also passed the ball well in the second half.

Snodgrass= Very hard working, always wants the ball and I think the more game time he gets, the more he will become an influence on this team. Done well today.

Kodjia= Whenever he's in the team things change, doesn't it? He's clearly not match fit yet but even in that hour he played, you could see the class with some of the skill he displayed and touches on the ball. unlucky not to have had a goal with that harsh offside ruling he got. He also came deep a lot which caused problems for Barnsley.

Davis= I'm lost for words to describe this kid. He's such a top prospect it's incredible. Holds it up so well, drops deep and also runs the channels. He also can beat a man too. He has everything in his locker and his goal was just the icing on the cake really. Let's hope he goes from strength to strength now and really becomes a top player for this club.

Onomah= Couldn't understand why he was chosen to replace Kodjia tbh. But he did put himself about and helped us to maintain control in the middle of the park. Expect to see him play on Tuesday.

Hogan= Done ok. Tried to get in behind and had a decent effort on goal too. If we continue to play 442 then he should take encouragement from that and put pressure on the main two.

I wouldn't say our fortunes have changed after that because in all honesty, we were much better against Norwich. But a win is a win so I guess Bruce is out of jail again SIGH!!!.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Joppe84 wrote:
Villa Ranger wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:Ok, found it. Wasn't too bad, but I think he will regret the last 20 seconds of that interview. Does himself no favours.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11039702/bruce-not-getting-carried-away

And why should he?

He's just overseen our biggest away win for two-and-a-half years, when people have been calling for him to be sacked.

He's entitled to have a bit of a swipe back, and it's not as if he's had a 'Keegan-style' meltdown on camera.

This forum has made uncomfortable reading lately and some of the comments and thread titles?... 'Hysterical' is definitely a word that came to my mind.

I'm sorry but, if you're posting on a Villa forum that you actually want Aston Villa to lose a game, then in the words of my Belfast-born-and-bred stepdad, you need to "cop yourself on".

I think a manager that has had us playing utter shit having us below relegation candidates, despite having the best squad in the league, the highest wage budget and spending what is astronomical amounts (in this league) on players, should accept criticism and take it on the chin. He's paid millions, he isn't doing this of charity.

Fact is that we have been shit, we still are playing shit, yet he is paid a huge salary to get the best squad in the league winning over the likes of Brentford. He's by large doing a terrible job. Getting a fit over criticism and turning on the fans just shows he isn't cut out for a job like this.

If anything today made me even more certain I wNt a new manager.

By the way, my comments regarding threads / posts on TBAR were not just directed at you Joppe. There are many others.

The events in Small Heath should give sobering thought to many Villa fans tonight who have been criticising our owners for not sacking Bruce already.

Those clowns are building quite a reputation.

Sacking a manager when they were 7th in the Championship and replacing him with one who took them to the very brink of relegation.

Giving the manager who saved them from relegation a grand total of 3 GAMES beyond a transfer window in which he signed 14 PLAYERS.

Absolute Fuckwittery

Are these the kind of owners we want?
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:26 pm

I just hope Bruce doesn't change the formation again following a win...
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 pm

I can agree with that. I've to some extent defended managers (including Bruce) when others want a quick fix. But right now there's no way back for Bruce. He clearly can't get us playing proper football. Even when we win it's random luck and bullshit hoofballs for 90 minutes. He can't handle the pressure and looks like an anxiety patient every single interview, and now he's even started to talk back at the fans that spend a large portion of their wage to buy ridiculously overpriced tickets, for what I can only describe as shite football.

He should go. People would have wanted him sacked tomorrow if we lost today, and I just can't see any improvement, so I'd sack him either way.
We didn't win today cause we were impressive. We won cause Davis played out of his skin and we got a bit luck with refereeing decisions and a keeper fuck up.

Ultimately I ask myself whether I'd want Bruce managing this club if we got promoted. I 100% don't want him near this club if we got promoted. Recipe for disaster.

As for the small heath example, I agree, but it's a big difference regarding expectations here. What is acceptable for them, isn't even worth talking about here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I can agree with that. I've to some extent defended managers (including Bruce) when others want a quick fix. But right now there's no way back for Bruce. He clearly can't get us playing proper football. Even when we win it's random luck and bullshit hoofballs for 90 minutes. He can't handle the pressure and looks like an anxiety patient every single interview, and now he's even started to talk back at the fans that spend a large portion of their wage to buy ridiculously overpriced tickets, for what I can only describe as shite football.

He should go. People would have wanted him sacked tomorrow if we lost today, and I just can't see any improvement, so I'd sack him either way.
We didn't win today cause we were impressive. We won cause Davis played out of his skin and we got a bit luck with refereeing decisions and a keeper fuck up.

Ultimately I ask myself whether I'd want Bruce managing this club if we got promoted. I 100% don't want him near this club if we got promoted. Recipe for disaster.

As for the small heath example, I agree, but it's a big difference regarding expectations here. What is acceptable for them, isn't even worth talking about here.

I don't agree that we played 'hoofball' tonight mate.

In the 2nd half we played lots of stuff on the deck, kept possession, controlled the game. They had two shots on target ffs, and we won 3-0.

I can't see the point in swapping managers again now. He's signed the players he wanted. Give him time to make it work with Kodjia and Jedi back to fitness (yes, I know he didn't sign them).

Bruce has proven that he can take us on runs where we won 7 out of 8 games (25th Feb to 4th Apr 2017).
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Villa Ranger wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:I can agree with that. I've to some extent defended managers (including Bruce) when others want a quick fix. But right now there's no way back for Bruce. He clearly can't get us playing proper football. Even when we win it's random luck and bullshit hoofballs for 90 minutes. He can't handle the pressure and looks like an anxiety patient every single interview, and now he's even started to talk back at the fans that spend a large portion of their wage to buy ridiculously overpriced tickets, for what I can only describe as shite football.

I don't agree that we played 'hoofball' tonight mate.

In the 2nd half we played lots of stuff on the deck, kept possession, controlled the game.

We even hoofed 5 yard passes. Only at 3-0 we started pinging it on the grass. How anyone can watch that match and claim we controlled it I'll never know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:24 pm

I don't get to see any games at all any more so can only go off reports and social media but it seems we won through a combination of opposition fuck-ups, longball/counterattack and some moments of individual brilliance. ie...we won despite Bruce.

I'd dearly love to think that the manager has finally found the keys to this juggernaut and it'll roll on to win the league but if I have to guess the result of the next game (without even knowing who it is) I'll still be more likely to guess there'll be a nil after our name than a 3.

Let's hope Bruce has me eating potato pie. But I honestly don't think he will. I think we still need 6 straight wins to bring about a situation where we'll need an average of 2pts a game to win the league. Whilst I'm absolutely delighted by this result and dead pleased for Davis, I'm not planning a promotion party having taken a decent few steps up a very long ladder.

LOL @ Redknapp though.
Trotters
Trotters

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:07 am

I said to my son yesterday afternoon that we were on the telly but I was going to miss it as I HAD to take out the wife and for whatever reason refusing in lieu of the Villa was not an option. So he said probably a good thing and they will win! He was right then!

I still want Bruce replaced, I will till he is gone! I also think Bruce is deluded if he thinks otherwise? Another 28 wins in the next 37 matches may change my mind though? Laughing
DelboyVilla

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:18 am

Guys I think we are at a cross roads now, Its time Brucie realises playing 2 up top & play on the front foot is the best way forward for us, after all we all know we have a good squad ( so does he to listen to him) & maybe its time for the fans to get behind Brucie, deep down I think we ALL want Villa to show the class & take the game to the opposition. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
Saunders82
Saunders82

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:54 pm

No tweet from the good doctor. Maybe he's not as relieved about the result as Bruce & Wyness...
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Villa Ranger wrote:

And why should he?

villa ranger, unfortunately I'm sure there was many wishing us to loose, shocking to say the least.

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 pm

jimbop wrote:
Villa Ranger wrote:

And why should he?

villa ranger, unfortunately I'm sure there was many wishing us to loose, shocking to say the least.

Why don't you get off your high horse you totally risble, pedantic 'I'm a better fan than you' troll!

We hate Bruce and his anti football not our beloved team you brainless twat!
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:
jimbop wrote:
Villa Ranger wrote:

And why should he?

Why don't you get off your high horse you totally risble, pedantic 'I'm a better fan than you' troll!

who u throwing insults at? have I insulted you? your embarrassing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 pm

jimbop wrote:
DelboyVilla wrote:
jimbop wrote:
Villa Ranger wrote:

And why should he?

who u throwing insults at? have I insulted you? your embarrassing.

47 years of age? forget the decimal point did we

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Act like a child and you will get treated like a child!

By the way it should be you are or you're!
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Bloody hell and the above posts are after a 3-0 win, thank Christ we didn't lose!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Well a win is a win, especially away and on Sky, so we have got the monkey off our back and for that I am grateful but we didn't play any football in the first half.

Understandably in the second half being 0 - 2 up allowed us to play some football and be a bit more composed but lets not kid ourselves this was against a side that lost 19 players in the summer, it won't be as easy the next game. By the way we had 7 full internationals playing for us, you really wouldn't have thought it!

Special praise for Davis who again showed what a great prospect he is, long may it continue!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Calling @AstonThriller can you start the villa v Boro thread please so we can focus on something - anything other than the Barnsley thread please!
I'm a bit fed up of SB not getting the Barnsley chop so I need to focus on something new!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 pm

I agree DK, the Barnsley game has gone now, lets look to the next & the next onwards and upwards we go (hopefully) Over the head
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:30 pm

De Kuip wrote:Calling @AstonThriller can you start the villa v Boro thread please so we can focus on something - anything other than the Barnsley thread please!
I'm a bit fed up of SB not getting the Barnsley chop so I need to focus on something new!

DONE Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 4025243045
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Anyone going tomorrow?
Just trying to estimate a (non comp) GTC.
I'm gonna say 23k....
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Think that will be too high, about 17k or 18k (I am not going).
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm

De Kuip wrote:Anyone going tomorrow?
Just trying to estimate a (non comp) GTC.
I'm gonna say 23k....

I'm going and think we will be lucky to get 17000
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Barnsley vs Aston Villa Nil - MATCH THREAD - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next