The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League?

Go down

International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League? Empty International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:04 pm

BBC LINK

Nations League: New European competition to start in 2018

A "League of Nations" competition intended as a third major tournament for European countries after the World Cup and European Championship has been given the go-ahead by Uefa.

The competition, which starts in September 2018, will also provide four qualifying spots for Euro 2020.

Uefa is still finalising the details but there will be four divisions, sub-divided into four smaller pools.

The top division's four pool winners will then play each other in June 2019.

There will be promotion and relegation between divisions.

The tournament will replace most international friendly fixtures, with pool matches played between September and November 2018 and the 'final four' competition played the following summer.

The opportunity to qualify for the European Championships is intended to make the League of Nations competitive.

The best four teams in each division who have not already qualified for Euro 2020 will play off for the final four places in the tournament.

"Twenty teams will advance from the qualifying competition to the Euro 2020 finals - which are being played in 13 cities around Europe," Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told delegates at the authority's Congress in Kazakhstan on Thursday.

"That leaves four extra slots to be filled and they will come from four teams from the Nations League who have not otherwise qualified."

On current ranking, England would be in the top division alongside the likes of Spain, Germany and Italy. Each division would then be divided into pools of three or four teams, with the winners of each pool qualifying for a semi-final and final, played at neutral venues.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - ranked 31, 34 and 39 respectively by Uefa - could find themselves playing each other in the third or fourth divisions using the current national team coefficient.

Fifpro, the world footballers' association, is concerned about the added strain it will place on players.

"It should be clear that there is a difference in a friendly match and a competitive match," said director of player services Tijs Tummers.

"The Nations League will be another prestigious competition. As a consequence, that implies an increase in the workload for the group of top players."

While matches will be played on dates reserved for friendlies, there will still be flexibility for smaller countries to arrange high-profile fixtures with bigger European teams and for nations to play friendlies against national sides from outside Europe.

The Football Association has backed the plan, with chairman Greg Dyke saying earlier this month: "The hard thing is the detail but I think a Nations League where we played the top nations would be very attractive."

Is this a good idea or is it a needless distraction from club football? It'll give the 'Celtic fringe' the opportunity to play in something competitively without failing to qualify and quite possibly against each other. I just hope it'll be a more successful enterprise than the last league of nations, a kind of ill-fated prototype for the UN.

Back to top Go down

International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League? Empty Re: International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Heard about this earlier. Not sure about it to be honest. Will have to see the final set up before i can say.

Back to top Go down

International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League? Empty Re: International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 pm

At least it would be an improvement on the international friendly.

As a traditionalist, I must say I do think it is a pity the way international football isn't as much of a big deal as it was say in the 1990s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 pm

I don't understand it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Cynical old me thinks this is just another money-making exercise. Competitive games will sell for more in TV deals, I'd imagine, attract more sponsors, and will justify higher admission prices compared to friendlies.

Also, we have been hearing for years that players play too many games, so for there to be yet another competition at the top level, giving teams less scope to try promising players out, seems like a bad move to me. This could stiffle the development of players at international level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 pm

We should stick to the home internationals, especially if the jocks fec off :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Holtender1982 wrote:We should stick to the home internationals, especially if the jocks fec off :)
They won't feck off, Hampden would never be full again. lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55 am

I like this idea. Yes, it's a money spinner first and foremost but international friendlies are largely awful affairs with players pulling out and no meaning attached to them.

As for players playing too many games already well, the kind of get decent pay to make up for all those extra hours they do.

Make it so!
Trotters
Trotters

International Friendlies to Make Way for Euro Nations League? 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:40 am

I don't think this is a good idea. A play off for the best four teams in each division who have not yet qualified to get into the Euros will allow some terrible teams in to the Euros. Like Scotland and Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:39 am

I think they should just do away with the continental competitions and just run international leagues with promotion, relegation - play each other twice etc. It would take about 4 years to complete, and have top 8 from each "league of nations" (Europe, Americas, Asia Pacific, Africa) all qualify for World Cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 pm

I still don't understand it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down