The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Stan Petrov

+4
Morpheus
Green Villan
GadgetMan
kimbo
8 posters

Go down

Stan Petrov Empty Stan Petrov

Post by kimbo Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:46 am

He's playing Sunday morning stuff. Good that he seems to be enjoying himself.  Stan Petrov 3769219917

Stilyan Petrov is back with a ball at his feet and a smile on his face after returning to the pitch as he continues his recovery from leukemia.

Petrov has been turning out for Wychall Wanderers Over 35s in Sunday League and the Celtic and Aston Villa legend, who was diagnosed with the disease in 2012, is happy to be doing what he does best.

He said: 'It's a good laugh and they're competitive games. It's just really nice to be out there playing a proper game.

'I've played 90 minutes and my fitness is improving but I need to be patient.'

Petrov, 35, has played three times for the team managed by former Coventry defender Dave Busst, who suffered a career-ending injury in 1996, and has scored once in a 5-3 cup win.

'Maybe Sky Sports will show it,' Petrov joked. 'As far as positions go, you have to go where you're needed. Sometimes only 12 players are there.

'The one game, we were winning 2-0 and they had a different man marking me every 10 minutes.'

Petrov wears the No 10 shirt and has certainly made his mark in the Central Wawrickshire League Premier One Division with his side losing just one of their last three.

Tythe Barn Lane in Shirely is a world away from Parkhead or Villa Park but he's never short of memories.

'I meet a lot of Villa fans and it's great to chat to them, said the man capped 106 times by the Bulgarian national team and who wore the captain's armband representing his country.

'I do get asked for autographs and pictures after matches. The supporters have been great and I always had a positive attitude.'

With the disease in remission, Petrov added: 'Everything is fine, touch wood. There are only three months to go on tablets and I'm finished. I'm on steroids until January.

'I'll be there again on Sunday but don't ask me who we're playing.'

Wanderers' secretary John Busst - Dave's dad - paid a glowing tribute to Petrov.

'The most amazing thing is that he's such a lovely, down-to-earth chap. He comes along, pays his subs and has a drink with the lads.

'He is amazing. Players of that class, such is their footballing brain, they are three or four moves ahead even if they are only 40 or 50 per cent fit.

'He scored, and it was a good goal. On Sunday, we won our first league game 2-1 and he made both goals.'

Petrov officially announced his retirement from the professional game in May 2013 and had a short spell working as a coach with the Villa Under 21 team.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2781986/Stiliyan-Petrov-stars-Sunday-League-Celtic-Aston-Villa-legend-continues-recovery-leukemia.html
kimbo
kimbo

Stan Petrov 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Stan Petrov Empty Re: Stan Petrov

Post by GadgetMan Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Brilliant for him, on a side note, I scored a hatrick against them from CB haha! Naturally a winger/forward/CM, but quite enjoy being a ball p,aying CB, or I did before I was ill. He gives me hope I can play again. Their pitch is shocking though.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Stan Petrov 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Really chuffed for Stan, he is a great bloke. :)
Green Villan
Green Villan

Stan Petrov 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 am

It's so sad that Stan couldn't find a position within the club.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:39 am

My first reaction on seeing the photos was one of shock and sadness and I wonder would it have not been better to leave things were they were but maybe that's just me being a selfish prick wanting him to be the Stan we all loved?
Morpheus
Morpheus

Stan Petrov 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:58 am

I think it's great that he has recovered enough to play football again, it's just a shame it's for a team in blue. We should ask Randy to send them a new kit of a suitable colour for one of our former players.

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Put some weight on aye he Wink

Seriously, really chuffed for the guy and great that he seems really settled in the area too!
whiteensign
whiteensign

Stan Petrov 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis Evans Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:33 pm

What a great boost for the Central Warwickshire League as well.
Dennis Evans

Stan Petrov 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by EbeneezerGoode Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Such a fantastic story and glad to see that Stan is continuing his remission. Very positive news.
EbeneezerGoode
EbeneezerGoode

Stan Petrov 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Super Stan, a player to be proud of.
VTID85

Stan Petrov 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content