The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Favourite Villa match

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite Villa match Empty Favourite Villa match

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:12 pm

My favourite match is a toss up between the 1971-2 home match vs Bournemouth or the second leg of the 1970-1 League Cup Semi Final.
I did go to all the European cup games, but had to watch the home game vs Besiktas from Aston Park through the gap between the Holte End and the Trinity.
My favourite EC game was Berlin away although they were all great experiences.
I could easily say that the final was my best ever game but it was too nerve wracking.

Back to top Go down

Favourite Villa match Empty Re: Favourite Villa match

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:34 pm

A recent one, I know, but I don't think anyone will deny this was a classic:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Excellent thread.

That is such a tough question. I am very nostalgic for the mid 1990s in general and tend to look back on that period with rose tinted glasses. Therefore I'll probably pick a game from that period.

My choice: the Villa v Athletico Madrid Uefa Cup game in 1998. That was such a big game and such a great villa performance. We came so close to getting the third goal that would have sent us through. That's what Aston Villa should be about. Big games, European football, competing with the best, players of quality who give of there all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Oh well. If we must. Just gave me goose pimples listening to the crowd as George Curtis booted that free kick up to Andy Lochhead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:22 pm

I never tire of this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:24 pm

I just tried to find our 3-3 draw at Everton in May 1990 but it seems to be well hidden on Youtube. That's probably my favourite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 pm

Chris Harte wrote:I just tried to find our 3-3 draw at Everton in May 1990 but it seems to be well hidden on Youtube. That's probably my favourite.

Here it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 pm

The Bald Eagle wrote:
Chris Harte wrote:I just tried to find our 3-3 draw at Everton in May 1990 but it seems to be well hidden on Youtube. That's probably my favourite.

Here it is.

Nineteen years too late, that one. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Sorry. Wrong game. Worth watching though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 pm

That Villaboy channel is the best thing on youtube. Full villa games.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Dalian Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:25 pm

For emotion,Jim Barron's only game in charge lives long in the memory, 3-0 up only for Spurs to get it back to 3-3 and then Dean Saunders to get's a last ditch winner. 100 % record has Mr Barron. Didn't he go to jail or am I thinking about someone else?
Ron Dalian
Ron Dalian

Favourite Villa match 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Good shout that, Ron. I went to that one myself. It was completely bonkers. Natives weren't too friendly afterwards, neither.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm

I was at that one too. Last minute thing, got in ages late.

Favourite games: Atletico Madrid, Middlesbrough 81, Super Cup, Noses 5-1, Notlob semi final at Wembley, Tranmere away for the craic, Tranmere home, Leeds Coca Cola Cup final, Sunderland home mid 70s, Coventry away when Savo finally scored. Boggies away under SGT in Division 2 - I saw a spark that night that would see us flourish, Coventry away 80-81 with my grandad. Loads more really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:05 am

The Spurs away when we won 4-1 was a good one. Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa's first home game.
If anyone has ever pissed on someone's parade, this was it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 am

This was an away trip with so many memories.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Wow -you went? Fantastic! I remember listening to the radio and going barmy when Jimmy Rimbo saved the penalty rebound and then even more so when my hero Tony Morley scored. Tell me all about your trip please TBE, I'd love to know. What was East Berlin like? How did you get there?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:39 pm

BillyBleach wrote:Wow -you went? Fantastic! I remember listening to the radio and going barmy when Jimmy Rimbo saved the penalty rebound and then even more so when my hero Tony Morley scored. Tell me all about your trip please TBE, I'd love to know. What was East Berlin like? How did you get there?
We went all the way by train. More later. Got to nip off now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Always leave them wanting more :)

I remember the game where we hammered Liverpool. Best performance I have seen by a Villa team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:54 pm

The 5-1? Awful pity there's no footage of that game. Bloody hell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Dalian Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Hopefully today's game.
Ron Dalian
Ron Dalian

Favourite Villa match 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Ron Dalian wrote:Hopefully today's game.

Indeed, you never know with this team...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:02 pm

The Bald Eagle wrote:
BillyBleach wrote:Wow -you went? Fantastic! I remember listening to the radio and going barmy when Jimmy Rimbo saved the penalty rebound and then even more so when my hero Tony Morley scored. Tell me all about your trip please TBE, I'd love to know. What was East Berlin like? How did you get there?
We went all the way by train. More later. Got to nip off now.

There were five of us who got ferry across the channel then caught an overnight train to Berlin via Paris. We arrived in Berlin about 0730, having been issued our visas on the train. When we got off the train, we had to go into a small booth, with the German officer on one side and mirrors in all the other three walls. They issue East German money which you were not allowed to take out of the country, but we did. We got a S-Bahn train towards the area where the ground was and stayed in a bar there all day, up to about 30 mins before kick off. The beer was the equivalent of 25p a pint and we drank loads of it. The food was what you imagine a prisoner would get. White plastic bowl with potato soup and a sausage dumped in it. It was quite lively in the game and we moved from one end to the other to dodge some trouble. After the game, which was very exciting and I won't go into it here, there was a bit of fighting outside the ground. We managed to avoid it as we had to be back at the station for the midnight train. The train was being searched underneath and in the roof voids by police with dogs in case any locals were trying to escape. It would normally have come from Moscow but, at this time of year, it started in Berlin. By now, after spending all day in one bar, we were all feeling quite rough. The guard came through and asked if we wanted some tea. He brought it back in individual plastic teapots and it was the most welcome cup of tea that I have ever had. So we didn't really do any sightseeing but the experience of going into East Berlin at that time was superb. Being there in that ground in such a strange place, at such an important match was an experience never to be forgotten. We flew with the team to Kiev and that was another magic trip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Great story TBE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Marvellous story TBE. Thanks for sharing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum