The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread

5 posters

Go down

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread Empty The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread

Post by The Utterer Fri May 04, 2018 2:46 am

My visits to Villa Park lately got me thinking.....

Why is the atmosphere so different to when i started going in the late 70's?
Yes of course the Holte end used to be a terrace for one with all sorts of antics i saw from a nutty fan weeing in a policemans pocket to give him "warm leg" on a freezing cold night game, to Knees up mother brown bruises the day after a game & watching various scarves being set alight of the opposing team & held aloft (Where the scarves came from i never knew lol) and vociferous vocal support.

Obviously all that has gone but still the atmosphere seems so very different i wondered what else was missing... and i think it's the terrace chants actually having pondered on it for quite a few months, years even.

Where have all the songs gone? Obviously they change over time but lately it's like a totally different set of songs which i have to admit i find quite boring as they are sung by just about every set of fans out there.

I have been working at several stadiums this season and can absolutely say we seem to have lost our originality to a large extent and replaced Villa anthems with tedious repetitive chants you can hear in just about every stadium going.

So i thought i'd start this thread about old anthems you maybe used to like and wish was still sung. I'll start with
The Bells are ringing,,, for the Claret & Blue" A true Villa classic i've not heard in a good while now...

Any others?
The Utterer
The Utterer

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 3_star10

Back to top Go down

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread Empty Re: The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread

Post by De Kuip Fri May 04, 2018 7:18 am

Well I think it's a combination of football reflecting a change in society, seating, the replacement of going down the villa with a "matchday experience" and the shite we've had to put up with over the years making atmospheres tough to generate. To be fair I always thought apart from when we really get going, VP can have a tendency to be quiet which is in contrast with our away support.
We do have some individual songs - I love the one about how shite st Andrews is but you are right as well, I get so fecking sick of holte enders in the sky every 10 minutes.

How about "Come to Aston/you will see/ansells brewery, m&b/we don't drink whiskey and we don't drink rum/we are the beer boys from Brum."

There was also "o Birmingham, is colourful/Birmingham is colourful/full of etc etc..." I won't finish that one!

Don't forget when those scarves were burned you had to sing "Burn burn burn em Aston/burn Burn burn burn em aston/burn Burn burn em aston/burn an Aston villa"

Not sure I remember hearing hi ho it's up the holte we go in a while either.
De Kuip
De Kuip

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 am

De Kuip wrote:Well I think it's a combination of football reflecting a change in society, seating, the replacement of going down the villa with a "matchday experience" and the shite we've had to put up with over the years making atmospheres tough to generate. To be fair I always thought apart from when we really get going, VP can have a tendency to be quiet which is in contrast with our away support.
We do have some individual songs - I love the one about how shite st Andrews is but you are right as well, I get so fecking sick of holte enders in the sky every 10 minutes.

How about "Come to Aston/you will see/ansells brewery, m&b/we don't drink whiskey and we don't drink rum/we are the beer boys from Brum."

There was also "o Birmingham, is colourful/Birmingham is colourful/full of etc etc..." I won't finish that one!

Don't forget when those scarves were burned you had to sing "Burn burn burn em Aston/burn Burn burn burn em aston/burn Burn burn em aston/burn an Aston villa"

Some great song memories there De Kuip The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 1520050566 I agree away support is top notch usually but home support flat as anything usually unless it's a big local Derby or something.

On my travels to various stadiums this season i can say though that it's very similar wherever you go... Noisy away fans (Apart from QPR Laughing) and quiet as mice home fans. At Derby for instance they had a competition between the different stands, they got them to do a chant and measured the decibel level of each one, the hilarious thing was their main stand with the supposed main boys in it lost to the sandwich brigade stand lol! (The equivalent of the Holte end losing to the Trinity road stand).
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Fri May 04, 2018 4:06 pm

The Utterer wrote:
De Kuip wrote:Well I think it's a combination of football reflecting a change in society, seating, the replacement of going down the villa with a "matchday experience" and the shite we've had to put up with over the years making atmospheres tough to generate. To be fair I always thought apart from when we really get going, VP can have a tendency to be quiet which is in contrast with our away support.

Some great song memories there De Kuip The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 1520050566 I agree away support is top notch usually but home support flat as anything usually unless it's a big local Derby or something.

On my travels to various stadiums this season i can say though that it's very similar wherever you go... Noisy away fans (Apart from QPR Laughing) and quiet as mice home fans. At Derby for instance they had a competition between the different stands, they got them to do a chant and measured the decibel level of each one, the hilarious thing was their main stand with the supposed main boys in it lost to the sandwich brigade stand lol!  (The equivalent of the Holte end losing to the Trinity road stand).

I also remember when the Trinity used to get angered about something and start standing up to complain we'd sing "seats aggro, seats aggro, hello, hel-lo" and we'd all start laughing and saying they were waving their copies of the telegraph in the air (cos they were posh and could afford to pay to sit in the trinity).
Did I dream it or was there also "He shoots, he's missed, he must be fucking pissed"?
Cup games were also "Villa score villa score villa score/once you get one you'll get more/ well see you assembly when we get to Wembley/so score villa score". I always thought the assembly bit was poor grammar but I wasn't going to point that out to the 30 year old meathead with silk scarves ties to his wrists that was singing it into my poor schoolboy ears.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sat May 05, 2018 7:53 am

"He shoots, he's missed, he must be fucking pissed" is superb.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 pm

FoxyAV wrote:"He shoots, he's missed, he must be fucking pissed" is superb.

To be fair, in the 70s most of them probably were!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Sun May 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Also "Villa boys we are ere ohh o ooh o, Villa boys we are ere ohh oh ooh oh, Villa boys we are ere...shag your women & drink your beer... oooooh oh oooh oh oh oh"

I do miss that one too.
The Utterer
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 am

The Utterer wrote:Also "Villa boys we are ere ohh o ooh o, Villa boys we are ere ohh oh ooh oh, Villa boys we are ere...shag your women & drink your beer... oooooh oh oooh oh oh oh"

I do miss that one too.
Haha yeah forgot that one.
Just remembered years ago at West brom's truly shite ground, the away end was possibly the shittest of all the shit stands and we used to sing "Treat it nice, treat it good/cos it's only made of wood/yes it's only a wooden ground". Usually followed by a bunch of Villa suddenly appearing in woodman corner or whatever it was called, then conga-ing back through their fans towards the away end. Come the end of the match we'd all cram down that crappy ramp that led down the side of the ground singing "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside..."etc.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 am

Not really a chants story but talking about shite grounds i remember playing wigan away in the league cup one Tuesday night and I kid you not their away stand was this huge curved "terrace" (im being kind calling it that) made of railway sleepers and cinders. Thats not the best bit.
The best bit was that there were coppers on police horses standing ON the terraces. So I find myself pissed, eating a bag of chips, watching the game standing next to a police horse. The copper sitting on it got plenty angry with me and said "stop feeding chips to my fucking horse!"
One more quick police horse related one then ill leave the thread to return to chants.
So again in the 80s Man Ure came to town. Cue running battles along witton lane.  I saw this mounted copper gallop after a hooligan, and right next to me leans over and grabs the guy by his hair. The guy starts screaming - I mean properly  wailing. The copper shouts at him stop being a fucking drama queen, I've only grabbed you" The hooligan shouts "You horse is standing on my fucking foot!". And it was. I still laugh about that 35 years on.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Just remembered another one.

In the late 70s we used to sing to the tune "Seasons in the sun":

"We had joy,  we had fun, we had city on the run, but the joy didn't last, cos the bastards ran too fast"

See what you've done to me, this shite is popping into my head at all times of the day!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 pm

The Dwight York chant was probably the best we've ever come up with imo. Haven't heard one as good since he left.

"START SPREADING THE NEWS!!!..HE'S PLAYING TODAY!!!" Scarf Waving

How I long for the good old days No
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Thu May 10, 2018 12:40 pm

AstonThriller wrote:The Dwight York chant was probably the best we've ever come up with imo. Haven't heard one as good since he left.

"START SPREADING THE NEWS!!!..HE'S PLAYING TODAY!!!" Scarf Waving

How I long for the good old days No

Yeah forgot that one - I'm obviously trapped in the 70s/80s!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Thu May 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Francis, oh ooh ooh Francis - I'd walk a mile and a bit to rub yer face in the shit
George
George

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 0_star10

http://www.streetart.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by George Sat May 12, 2018 10:37 pm

She wore, she wore, she wore a claret ribbon, she wore a claret ribbon in the merry month of may.

And when I asked her why she wore the ribbon, she said it's for the Villa and we're going to Wembley.

Wembley, Wembley - we're all pissed up and we're going to Wembley.

Hopefully this forgotten chant works for us now!!!
George
George

The FORGOTTEN CHANT thread 0_star10

http://www.streetart.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun May 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Two top chants there George- I'd forgotten those.

My dad despised Francis- used to call him "fairy francis".
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum