The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout

+6
DelboyVilla
FoxyAV
deadbuzzardalive
Dazzle
Boldfinger
AstonThriller
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout Empty Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout

Post by AstonThriller Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:55 pm

The stats from Veretout and Gil last season

Veretout

Appearances= 43 (41 starts)

Goals= 4

Assists= 4

Gil

Appearances= 23 (16 starts)

Goals= 1

Assists= 4

Both are 24 years old and spent last season playing at a higher level than the championship. If neither were on our books and we were linked with them now, wouldn't most fans be very excited about signing them? So why not keep them on at least until January like we did with Ayew last season? If they flourish, then keep them, get promotion (hopefully) and we move on from there. But if things don't start well, then we sell like we sold Ayew, simple. For example, HERE is one of Veretout's goals from last season...just quality. Also HERE is Gil getting an assist (the first Depor goal) away at Madrid last season.

IMO, if we managed to retain these two then our prospects for promotion would just sky rocket. Our attack, and midfield, would be taken up a level that's for sure. People are quick to judge these two but let's remember, the likes of Veretout for SIX assists in the worst Villa side in living memory...and all this despite not starting regularly. I think they'd both tear up the Championship tbh.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout Empty Re: Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout

Post by Boldfinger Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Both will be sold as neither WANT to play for us.
Bye bye get what we can for them and Fcuk them off.
Boldfinger

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:26 pm

They are the right players at the wrong club at the wrong time. We will look back in the years ahead and think "what if".
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Veretout might have said he wants to leave, but his only experience of the club is that awful season when we were relegated and he was new to country, if he stays even if not by choice, he might just learn to like it here. For me I'd have him in rotation with Hourihan, Lansbury and Whelan (if he signs), Jedinak can play in defense.

As for Gil, I think we could with him, if we're not going to be signing any creative players this summer, as at the moment, we only really have Green, Grealish and Adomah, who play between the midfield and the forwards. I think he'll definitely leave though, and it probably won't take much for the club to let him leave.
deadbuzzardalive

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:44 pm

I have never watched a bigger fanny than Gil. My dead grandma could floor him in a duel. Pissed me off no end how easy he lost possession.

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:07 pm

Always liked Veretout and would love to see him back at the club.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:07 pm

I think both of them will come good & I for one would love us to keep them & give them game time BUT its down to them at present all we keep hearing is I want out if that IS the case & they wont change their minds & be part of the Villa re-surge then get rid IMO don't have any time for players who don't want to play for us. Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 4025243045
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 pm

it has been reported that Gil hasn't travelled to Portugal with the rest of the squad and Bruce has said that by the time they get back he expects that Gil will have seen sold.
Another one bites the dust. D D D ( you know the tune )
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 am

Boldfinger wrote:it has been reported that Gil hasn't travelled to Portugal with the rest of the squad and Bruce has said that by the time they get back he expects that Gil will have seen sold.
Another one bites the dust.  D D D ( you know the tune )

He hasn't travelled to Portugal because he's nursing an injury. Nothing to do with any transfer deal. But granted, if a club does come up with an acceptable bid, Bruce did concede that he may not even get the chance to see Carles play. I hope he does though.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 am

I don't think that either of these players fit in the 'Dad's Army' model that Bruce is currently putting together?
DelboyVilla

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:22 pm

I rate Veretout. Would love to keep him.

Gil has no interest in staying so bin him off.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:I rate Veretout. Would love to keep him.

Gil has no interest in staying so bin him off.

And also what really does Gil do that either Adomah or Grealish can't already do?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Bring on the oranges at half time ?
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Tbf even if Gil is pretty shite, he has looked way better than Grealish has. I'd definately try and buy a replacement for Grealish. Not good enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 am

The coming season probably should be viewed as a defining season for Grealish, he really needs to get to the end of it having been a regular with a nailed down position in the starting 11.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 am

Whoops, duplicate post!

Last edited by FoxyAV on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 am

Grealish scored five goals with two assists in 20 Championship starts and 11 substitute appearances last season and I think all coming in from the left wing. His defensive play improved towards the end, presumably after a good kick up the arse, but he's not great at that is he? Adomah is a lot better and aside from Hutton's regular fuckups (often from being too far up the pitch), the right side of the pitch looked a lot more stable than the left. Like I said before, Amavi has been mostly stranded defensively by whoever plays in front of him, which pulls Baker out of position and makes them and whoever is next to him look shit. I still don't know if giving Amavi more support is going to make him a better player as he's not a winger (when we have Green for that) and may only work as a wing back (which we still haven't seen enough of to form a judgement). Either way it doesn't bode well for Grealish, who for me is a number 10 and not a winger. He played best alongside Gil and behind Benteke when the two midfielders had the run of the pitch. Remember when Grealish was first playing under Sherwood and would come deep to collect the ball to move forward? That's surely where he's best played, as a box-to-box attacking midfielder? He's bulked up a little since then and is a little more savvy (doesn't seem to get the shit kicked out of him every time he gets the ball) but if we're going to see the best of him Bruce is going to have to play to his strengths and that's not sticking him on the wing and expecting him to defend. It's much the same reason I wish Weimann hadn't been overshadowed by Benteke and stuck on the wing and expected to run around all day. He's a central striker, more of a poacher like Bent. Who was also tried on the wing to see if he could be played alongside Benteke. What do we remember Weimann for in the PL (apart from some really cracking goals)? Running round like a headless chicken and often missing the single half chance he's had all match. What a waste of a player and a position (Albrighton anyone?). Going back to Grealish, while he only scored five goals with two assists in those 20 (plus 11) matches playing (IMHO) out of position, Adomah scored three goals in 30 (plus eight substitute appearances) matches, but with 10 assists. That's why we need Andre Green playing on left wing (in terms of attacking prowess) and not Grealish or Amavi. Thing is, I've no idea how he is defensively, but I bet Terry is going to get things in shape on that side of the pitch. Of course Green hasn't yet scored or logged a single assist but not for want of trying.

So, in summary, I'd really like us to keep Grealish but he hasn't yet either been played in the correct position to make it his, or proved it's worth the risk trying him out there. He really is a luxury player when we need every single position to work, and stability after season upon season of chopping and changing starting players and positions every week.

As an aside I wonder are there any stats anywhere saying from which direction goals and unsuccessful attacks came in last season? It would be interesting to see that kind of thing, and if we do bring in an older, more experienced left winger, could it be to offer more in defending that left side?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 pm

I think the lack of interest in Grealish speaks volumes. In an age where even mediocre English talent move back and forth for absurd money, nobody is interested in Jack.

He was talked about as something big, but does nothing but fanny about on the pitch with a shit haircut and no pads. You rarely see him bust a gut and work hard. You rarely see him beat a man and get a cross in. He just isn't very good.

I'd be massively surprised if he gets anywhere near a good professional career like for instance Craig Gardner.

Back to top Go down

Post by thegaffer6 Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Totally agree with Foxy, this has to be make or break for Grealish this year. He's got a chance to be our catalyst for promotion and make himself a hero, or he can carry on drifting through games like a fart on a breeze. He's got the ability to make a real difference at this level, but has he got the desire
thegaffer6
thegaffer6

Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:14 pm

thegaffer6 wrote:Totally agree with Foxy, this has to be make or break for Grealish this year. He's got a chance to be our catalyst for promotion and make himself a hero, or he can carry on drifting through games like a fart on a breeze. He's got the ability to make a real difference at this level, but has he got the desire

I couldn't agree more he has so much talent BUT he needs to start showing it, he should be ripping these championship teams apart, not just on the odd occasion he pops up with a wonder strike. Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 1327487109
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 pm

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by ember Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Saunders82 wrote:
thegaffer6 wrote:Totally agree with Foxy, this has to be make or break for Grealish this year. He's got a chance to be our catalyst for promotion and make himself a hero, or he can carry on drifting through games like a fart on a breeze. He's got the ability to make a real difference at this level, but has he got the desire

I couldn't agree more he has so much talent BUT he needs to start showing it, he should be ripping these championship teams apart, not just on the odd occasion he pops up with a wonder strike. Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 1327487109

I can't help but think that this time next year I'll be reading the template posts about it being a pivotal season for Grealish and how he has talent and needs to deliver this coming season. Call me a cynic but I've read those things for at least two successive pre-seasons now.
ember
ember

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Agree mate.
If Jackie boy don't have a great season i can see his career going seriously down hill and he will join the big list of players that could have made it at the top level but failed to make it.
Half the trouble is that he already thinks that he is a star, he needs to stop believing his own hype, pull his finger out his arse, knuckle down and let his football do the talk.
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Veretout is at the centre of lots of the play in tonight's games, we would have a good player this season if he just gets his head together stops being the big "I Am" he could help us back into the prem. Carles Gil and Jordan Veretout 1520050566
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:38 pm

ember wrote:
Saunders82 wrote:

I can't help but think that this time next year I'll be reading the template posts about it being a pivotal season for Grealish and how he has talent and needs to deliver this coming season. Call me a cynic but I've read those things for at least two successive pre-seasons now.

This.

He had his chance last year IMO. I wouldn't wanna sell him yet, but I'd, like I said, be surprised if this lad ever got a decent career. At some point excuses won't work anymore. Fact is that he has looked shit most matches he's played. He had 45 decent minutes against SHA and one lucky shot. That's it.

Green on the other hand looks like the real deal. I'm more excited by the prospect of Green in a Villa shirt than a soft whining fanny like Grealish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum