The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

A new Captain, who should it be?

+3
4BetLite
JoshKaiAV
AstonThriller
7 posters

Go down

A new Captain, who should it be? Empty A new Captain, who should it be?

Post by AstonThriller Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:38 pm

I know a lot of people seem to think Elphick is a shoe-in for it, But on reflection I personally have a few doubts. For me the best defender at the club currently is Okore. And that assessment is made from the fact that he's actually performed well at the highest level i.e Champions league, international and premiership level. Elphick on the other hand has only really performed at the lower levels and has little experience in the premiership because he was injured for most of last season.

Now if both could play together then that would be fine but it looks like both favour the right hand side of central defence, and thus it might have to be one or the other. So if that turns out to be the case I'd personally pick Okore due to what I explained above. But by making Elphick captain it guarantees him a spot which he might not warrant as the season progresses.

So to close If I was RDM I'd think very carefully before making that decision. We saw last season how the captaincy can effect a lot of things and the last thing we need is a captain who doesn't deserve to be in the side ahead of others.

Probably best to wait to see who else we buy but right now I'd most likely lean towards Ayew. One of the first names on the team sheet, passionate, leads by example and wears his heart on his sleeve.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

A new Captain, who should it be? 5_star11

Back to top Go down

A new Captain, who should it be? Empty Re: A new Captain, who should it be?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Elphick or Gana atm. For me anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Joppe84 wrote:Elphick or Gana atm. For me anyway

Can Gana speak English? That's the only issue otherwise he'd also be a good shout.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshKaiAV Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Thankfully none of you are the managers then! A new Captain, who should it be? 4107169167 Gana still can't understand the English language very well at all, would be a terrible idea. He'll be gone soon anyway...

Okore too inexperienced. Played hardly any games over the past 3 years with us. What ever the circumstances, refusing to play for a club is unacceptable when you're under contract..

For me, only two real candidates. Elphick and Clark.

Clark is Villa through and through but always has a costly mistake each game. Not vocal enough either.

Elphick, lots of experience in all the English leagues, not to mention as a captain in all as well.

IMO, Elphick is the only one up for the job.....unless we want a repeat of last season.
JoshKaiAV
JoshKaiAV

A new Captain, who should it be? 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 pm

How do you know whether Gana are well spoken or not? Are you all neighbors?

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 pm

JoshKaiAV wrote:Thankfully none of you are the managers then! A new Captain, who should it be? 4107169167 Gana still can't understand the English language very well at all, would be a terrible idea. He'll be gone soon anyway...

Okore too inexperienced. Played hardly any games over the past 3 years with us. What ever the circumstances, refusing to play for a club is unacceptable when you're under contract..

For me, only two real candidates. Elphick and Clark.

Clark is Villa through and through but always has a costly mistake each game. Not vocal enough either.

Elphick, lots of experience in all the English leagues, not to mention as a captain in all as well.

IMO, Elphick is the only one up for the job.....unless we want a repeat of last season.

Honestly did you read the opening post properly? No-one said Okore should be captain. I said he's the best defender at the club and therefore he should start ahead of Elphick if both favour playing on the right side of defence. And btw Okore has made 121 club appearances in his career and has played at the top level so to suggest he's "inexperienced" is pretty frivolous to me.

Ayew imo is a good candidate and I stick by that.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Ayew is too hot headed for my liking, but definately one of the few that gives 100%

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:23 am

At the moment I would agree with it being Elphick, a clear favorite for the arm band.

However, I personally always preferred the central midfield general/talker type as captain, someone with colossal experience and a guaranteed starter (we do not have such a player atm), with a central defender a vice captain.

In essence your whole spine should be the captain, gollini, elphick, .....?, Ayew.
4BetLite
4BetLite

A new Captain, who should it be? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:31 am

I think Elphick was brought in to be captain. Clark even though he is Villa through and through is the Frank Spencer of defending.
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:24 am

It'll be Elphick IMO

Ayew is too far up the pitch and too hot headed to be captain.

Hutton would be my next choice if he's our starting RB - always leaves everything on the pitch (and the opposition) and came back from the bomb squad without being a twat like others
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

A new Captain, who should it be? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:59 am

Yep Elphick for me with the squad we have so far, if only for the fact of what he isn't - ie. not one of last season's "players". I still feel genuinely sick to my stomach about what a disgrace we were last season and I know it wasn't everyone but they're all guilty by association in my mind. Elphick represents - for me - the new Villa. I hated the old version.
De Kuip
De Kuip

A new Captain, who should it be? 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:34 am

I like to see a central midfielder be captain as he can communicate across the entire pitch. In our case, I don't think we have anyone there to do such a job.

Must be able to talk to the players and get his point over whether that be to fire up or calm down, play to instruction or focus, etc. Must have been there, done that. Must be respected.

Forget any goalkeeper.
Clark is too young.
Okore inexperienced.
Lescott can fuck off.
Hutton is a decent shout but if he talks anything like Lambert then forget it.
Cissokho and Amavi seem too quiet.
Bennett too young and inexperienced.
Sanchez, Gana, veretout...might have communication problems.
Westwood I don't think would have the respect as he's not exactly been a world class player.
Grealish...won't have any respect from older players after his shenanigans. Plus his old man will get around town in a villa Top AND a captain's armband.
Gabby....gobshite, brainless, twat.
Ayew is too hot headed as has been pointed out but you could argue that being captain could change that.
Gestede would just be calling out to lump it on his head.
Traore...eth eth eth eth eth.
Elphick.....best fit in theory.
Trotters
Trotters

A new Captain, who should it be? 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Captain fantastic!

TE could turn out to be an inspired signing. He gives it everything and is a real captain of the old school.

As a defender? someone just said to me that he's too short.......... He looked about 6'8" to me today.

Love him.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum