The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Adverse Conditions

Go down

Adverse Conditions Empty Adverse Conditions

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Watching the Real Madrid - Rayo Vallecano game tonight which is being played in the sort of heavy weather that is meant to fall mainly on the plain, I was wondering what are the most adverse conditions you've ever watched the Villa play in?

For me it would be the sub-zero conditions at a home nil-nil draw against Southampton in the mid-1980s. This is the one where the gate was 8,000 (for a 3pm Saturday game) and the mercury reached -8°C, possibly lower. I remember us having a low cross that flashed across goal in the final minutes at the Holte and being concerned that if I jumped to celebrate my feet might shatter through the cold.

Back to top Go down

Adverse Conditions Empty Re: Adverse Conditions

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:01 am

Possibly more recent than that, Chris, despite all the years I've been following the Villa. Mid to late 90s, sat on the Lower Holte Row P. Pissing down with rain, freezing cold, blowing a gale...causing the rain to be horizontal. Beating against the left sides of our faces off Trinity Road. Then, the trudge back to Aston Station to get the train back to Four Oaks, and an uncomfortable drive in wet clothes back to Wood End. I shudder when I think of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotterdam82 Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:07 am

Sheffield Wednesday away in mid-90s was a pretty bad one.
Rotterdam82

Adverse Conditions 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:38 am

I seem to remember the wettest game was against Bilbao, it hammered it down. I was in the old uncovered Witton End and the opened the gate to the trinity road for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 am

Helsenborg at home was pretty fucking cold I seem to recall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Portsmouth away twice - I got drenched both times, I have never been so wet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Sunderland away 1984-85 - won 4-0 open end wind blowing and hail off the sea - freezing cold winters day and not many of us there - McMahon was excellent that day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:53 pm

The most random game I remember wasn't villa it was Hull city away at Swindon in League one a few years ago started bright sunshine went through every element and ended up with few inches of snow was bizarre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum