The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Statistics Round up - Last season

3 posters

Go down

Statistics Round up - Last season Empty Statistics Round up - Last season

Post by Mr_Spadge Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 pm

So, to help cheer us up after Snake-boy and Tekkers have both left, I thought I'd do a quick stat-check and see if we'll miss them

Before we begin

Source of all stats is whoscored.com, and they're manually transcribed, so many mistakes are very possible.
For almost all players, stats are "per game", so passes per game, succesful tackles per game etc.  This can be a little bit distorted by subs, but for most players is a fair benchmark.
I've used stats from the premier league, so excluding cups etc.  If I'm looking at non PL players, I've used their main league.  
Percentage stats are total of all percentage stats.
for one player, Grealish, who has made a significant number of substitute appearances in the season (10 of 17 were as a sub), I've shown stats per 90 minutes played, rather than per appearance.
And I'm going to make 3 posts, because using "Tables" code is a bit tricky...

Midfield

MidfieldWhyPass completionKey PassesTacklesRunsNr of Passes
FabregasCompare87%2.82.61.480
HazardCompare87%2.70.74.858.4
GanaJoiner86%0.93.11.564
SanchezKey83%0.32.80.345.8
WestwoodKey84%1.31.2049.1
DelphLeaver85%1.32.12.259.8
CleverleyLeaver86%0.82.30.345.6
GrealishStar93%21.12.537.9

First, a quick look at the players we lost.  

Cleverley made lots of tackles, created a little bit, but quite stationary.  A tidy passer, (86%) but one of the least involved Passes per game at 45.6.  No big loss.
Then Snake, who got about a lot, was the heart of our midfield, a lot of the game goes through him, around 60 passes per game, and again tidy, but also breaking up play.  Good for him.  Then look at Fabregas, or Hazard, and just cry for him.  He was a solid midfielder, but no way a top 4 midfielder.  I'm very glad that the stats say he's a Man-City bench-warmer, born and bred.

Gana (or Gueye) is interesting as well.  He tackles more than Delph, and goes on more runs, seeing a bit more of the ball in the process.  Looks like a tidy addition, and can do the job Delph did, but a little bit better.

I was hoping to find something amazing about Sanchez, who I do really like, or Westwood but they are both journeymen.  Nothing particularly astounding about either one.

Then Grealish.  When you look at Grealish per 90 minutes, he's frankly astounding.  He's getting close to the Hazard levels of performance, with an amazing 93% pass completion.  This is the best in the league by around 3%.  Then 2.5 runs per game;  that's 12th best in the league.  And 2 key passes per game?  16th best in the league.  And don't forget, this is with 10 substitutions.  Jack Grealish is statistically, one of the best players in the league.

Snake wrote:Statistics Round up - Last season Snake_from_the_simpsonsI want to set the record straight, I'm staying at Aston Villa Football Club
Mr_Spadge

Statistics Round up - Last season 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Statistics Round up - Last season Empty Re: Statistics Round up - Last season

Post by Mr_Spadge Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Attack

AttackWhyPass completionShotsRunsMis-controlledGoals per Game
BentekeLeaver66.7%2.80.62.30.4
GabbyBaseline75%1.60.71.10.2
AgueroCompare86%4.52.61.90.8
Again, looking at Benteke, he scored a LOT.  His stats aren't that impressive.  He had a season of 2 halves, and actually, 0.4 goals per game isn't as good as we all thought.  Yes, he had a storming run of 10 goals in 10 games (or whatever it was).  Everything else isn't THAT impressive.  Don't get me wrong, it's clear that we'll miss him, and his stats are a bit fouled up as part of this was recovering from injury, but look at Aguero, and you see he's still got some way to go.  Good luck with Liverpool.

Unfortunately, this brings me to Gabby.  Now, a bit harsh as Gabby has played on the wings a lot this season, but he's not making enough succesful dribbles.   Actually, 0.7 succesful dribbles, and 0.6 unsuccesful.  He does have a (surprisingly...) good touch in terms of mis-controlling balls, but as a striker who struggles to break 10 goals a season...  

We don't have any stats on Kozak from this season, but last season he scored 4 in 15.  I know we've all mostly forgotten if he's any good, and as much as I love the Czech republic, I'm not convinced he's our solution either.  BIG gap here in the team.

Last edited by Mr_Spadge on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr_Spadge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Spadge Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Defence
DefencePass completionTacklesInterceptionsClearancesfouls
OkoreKey86%2.22.96.50.9
ClarkKey79%1.61.980.8
BakerKey77%1.31.69.20.6
BacunaKey79%1.30.70.90.8
AmaviJoiner75%3.94.63.91.8
RichardsJoiner88%1.91.91.70.6
P JonesCompare85%2.43.27.51.2
IvanovicCompare81%2.313.61.1

So this is a bit more interesting.  

First, Baker;  9.2 clearances would put him top 10 in the league for anticipation, a good sign for someone who didn't feature that much last season.  Clarke and Okore compliment each other nicely, with good tackling , clearances and interceptions.  (Okore was 12th in the league for interceptions last season)

Ok, then Just pause and look at Amavi - on paper, (and on stats sites) he's the best left back in Europe, I think.  Tackling everywhere, incterceptions everywhere, and a fair number of clearances for a left back.  

Richards looks a little weaker than I'd imagined on paper, but I'm fully behind him re-vitalising his career with the Villa, and hope he goes on to become a legend.

Conclusions

We won't miss Snake, and Gana should be a fair replacement.
Tekkers was a beast for 10 games last season, but we've forgotten the dross - £32m is a good price if it's reinvested.
We need to buy Strikers (I'd say 2)
Amavi looks the nutts on paper.
And Grealish is clearly the best player in the premier league.

Looking forward to the new season.  Hope you enjoyed...
Mr_Spadge

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Very interesting! Amavi looks a fantastic buy based on this.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Statistics Round up - Last season 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks for taking the time to put these together. :)

Baker was played wrong in a lot of games under Lambert where he was encouraged to sit back a little and sweep with Clark (as opposed to one player attacking the ball and the other sweeping). At least that's how it looked to my eyes. 

At the very least, he's a fantastic option to have when you know you're going to come up against an aerial bombardment.

Gana Gueye and Amavi both look extremely good on paper but the concern will be how long it takes them to get up to speed. 

And look at the number of shots Aguero takes in a game! He won't get that kind of service from Delph. :)
Trotters
Trotters

Statistics Round up - Last season 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum