The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Where will Sherwood strengthen?

+5
GadgetMan
thegaffer6
Dgrizzle7
Villa_Dan
kimbo
9 posters

Go down

Where will Sherwood strengthen? Empty Where will Sherwood strengthen?

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:12 am

VB raised a point in the semi-final thread about not wanting Europa League here next season. I disagree, because I want to win the FA Cup, I want European nights back at Villa Park, and I want our players to stand up and handle that.

Does it have a derogatory effect? To some it does, but I'm not sure European football is why Everton are where they are in the league; Spurs and Liverpool are about where I expected them to be, and I think that our squad isn't likely to be 'picked off' by the Champions League sides so with additions - which I am sure Sherwood has been given assurances about - so we should be able to cope, in my opinion.

These are players definitely contracted with the club next season, so there are some names here that you may have forgotten Very Happy... Also some players fit into more than one category of course (Bacuna, Richardon etc) but they can only be listed once, obviously! Please note I'm only listing players that have played in a competitive game for us:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan, Shay Given, Jed Steer

Right Backs: Alan Hutton, Matthew Lowton

Left Backs: Aly Cissokho, Kieran Richardson, Joe Bennett, Antonio Luna

Centre Backs: Jores Okore, Ciaran Clark, Philippe Senderos, Nathan Baker

Midfielders: Fabian Delph, Ashley Westwood, Carlos Sanchez, Gary Gardner, Yacouba Sylla, Leandro Bacuna

Wide/Attacking Midfielders: Carles Gil, Charles N'Zogbia, Jack Grealish, Aleksandar Tonev, Joe Cole

Forwards: Christian Benteke, Gabby Agbonlahor, Andi Weimann, Libor Kozak, Nicklas Helenius, Callum Robinson

-----

'Peripheral Players':

Scott Sinclair - it is my understanding that Sinclair signs as long as we stay in the Premier League? So as long as we don't drop back down into the bottom three, I *think* we can include him?

Tom Cleverley - will he stay? I feel like, under Sherwood, he may be enjoying life at Villa for the first time (decent performance at Anfield aside, he's also playing well for the first at Villa) and with around a quarter of the season to go, I wouldn't be stunned if he was here next season, especially as he is on a free.

Ron Vlaar/Darren Bent - will we see dramatic u-turns on either? As things stand I think both will be off.

Enda Stevens - I think if he was to stay it would be far less newsworthy, but just as surprising as the two above!

Graham Burke - Another young lad I can't see staying; depends on what he's done in training, he may get a 12-month extension, but I suspect he won't be retained.

Young lads that haven't played but are listed as first team squad:

Janoi Donacien (Right or Centre Back; does anyone know what Tranmere fans think of him? He's bloody quick, I remember that much)
Lewis Kinsella (Left back,we don't have enough of those... he's been on the bench out of necessity on occasion)
Ricardo Calder (Midfielder, left-sided if I remember correctly; has been on the bench due to lack of numbers but I'm not convinced he'll make the grade)
kimbo
kimbo

Where will Sherwood strengthen? 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Where will Sherwood strengthen? Empty Re: Where will Sherwood strengthen?

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 am

So the question is, where will we strengthen? Who do we think will stay or go?

For example, Weimann is in the last year of his contract, will he be sold?

Benteke would arguably have been expected to leave had he had a good season, but with the poor form he's shown this season and possibly a rejuvenated life under Sherwood, will he stay or will a Champions League side take a punt on him?

Are there any of the players out of contract that will turn around and stay?

Are there any areas where we just don't have enough quality and need to look elsewhere?

Over to you lot  Very Happy
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:19 am

(FYI, I *think* these are the players that will be heading into the last year of their deal):

Shay Given
Ciaran Clark
Nathan Baker
Philippe Senderos
Joe Bennett
Antonio Luna
Matt Lowton
Yacouba Sylla
Leandro Bacuna
Joe Cole
Charles N’Zogbia
Nicklas Helenius
Andi Weimann
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 am

Couldn't say myself where I think Sherwood will stengthen, I have my ideas about where I want strengthening, but this could change if Tim continues to get improved performances out of the likes of Zog, Cleverley and even Gabby.

1 place I think he'll look is another winger, a real hug the touchline and whip it in type player
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Where will Sherwood strengthen? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:36 pm

My prediction:

Shay Given - possible coach
Ciaran Clark - offered new deal
Nathan Baker - ???
Philippe Senderos
Joe Bennett - Possibly sold
Antonio Luna - Possibly sold
Matt Lowton - new deal
Yacouba Sylla - sold
Leandro Bacuna - ??? possibly renewed squad player
Joe Cole - released
Charles N’Zogbia - if form continues possible new deal
Nicklas Helenius - sold
Andi Weimann released

Sinclair is a must, can paly wing or upfront offers more than weimann in both possitions. I think another Target man who can score goals so Benteke can be benched when form dips.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Where will Sherwood strengthen? 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by thegaffer6 Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:1 place I think he'll look is another winger, a real hug the touchline and whip it in type player

Not a hug the touch line type winger but ronaldo isn't looking too happy at Madrid haha!
thegaffer6
thegaffer6

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Kozak is another target man who can score goals, provided he comes back okay.

This is the intriguing thing about the squad, in most places you feel like if we're buying, they probably have to be better than what we've got, it's quite intriguing really!
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:09 pm

thegaffer6 wrote:
Villa_Dan wrote:1 place I think he'll look is another winger, a real hug the touchline and whip it in type player

Not a hug the touch line type winger but ronaldo isn't looking too happy at Madrid haha!
Neither is Gareth Bale, maybe we can do a deal for both  Where will Sherwood strengthen? 498107619
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:11 pm

kimbo wrote:
thegaffer6 wrote:

Neither is Gareth Bale, maybe we can do a deal for both  Where will Sherwood strengthen? 498107619

Reinvigorate Di Maria? lol!
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Could we see TS return to Spurs to nab a few players? I wouldn't even rule out Adebayor in some capacity if Benteke were to go (which I think he will come the summer)

If we assume Vlaar is off (hope so) I think we need a new CB as both Senderos and Baker are injury prone and Okore has had two big injuries, so I can see us getting a big CB in, as well as another 'mobile' midfielder and as others have said, a real wideman, Andros Townsend anyone?
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazrim Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:07 pm

GadgetMan wrote:Could we see TS return to Spurs to nab a few players? I wouldn't even rule out Adebayor in some capacity if Benteke were to go (which I think he will come the summer)

If we assume Vlaar is off (hope so) I think we need a new CB as both Senderos and Baker are injury prone and Okore has had two big injuries, so I can see us getting a big CB in, as well as another 'mobile' midfielder and as others have said, a real wideman, Andros Townsend anyone?

I was about to suggest he might raid Spurs for some players. Maybe not obvious ones but ones he knows he can get something out of, that are a bit never the radar.
Depends how much cash he has and what division we're in obviously.
If we're still in the PL I'd imagine he'll have substantial backing. He'd better had.

I think the priorities are a footballing centre half, a couple more full backs, a classy defensive midfielder, a winger and a skillful frontman. Maybe another keeper to properly put the pressure on Guzan and Given. He doesn't strike me as somebody who will shop abroad much but who knows? Reintegrated Gardner is also vital.

I can see quite a few departing too. Benteke won't be be one of them. We wouldn't get what we'd want and Sherwood will feel he can get him back to one of the best strikers around.
Mazrim
Mazrim

Back to top Go down

Post by lukevilla Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:08 pm

GadgetMan wrote:Could we see TS return to Spurs to nab a few players? I wouldn't even rule out Adebayor in some capacity if Benteke were to go (which I think he will come the summer)

fudge that get eriksen and kane instead! Where will Sherwood strengthen? 1815562058 Scarf Waving
lukevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:25 pm

Adebayor isn't worth the wages he think he is, don't think that'd be a goer
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Bugger, I started a very early transfer thread before seeing this.

New link to a striker.... http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/11/report-aston-villa-interested-in-move-for-atletico-madrid-stri/
Trotters
Trotters

Where will Sherwood strengthen? 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Bit of a point to Sherwood's planning, we're currently playing the Baggies U21's and the team is:

Steer, Leggett, Toner (C), Kinsella, Burke, Calder, Sanchez, Gil, Hepburn-Murphy, Grealish, Weimann

I still fail to grasp the Gil situation. People have given their arguments for Sherwood's thinking but I reject them all; even if he's not starting, even when we've smashed the opposition, I reserve my right to be disturbed by Andi bloody Weimann been brought on ahead of him on Saturday.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Case in hand, Gil has just created the first goal after 5 mins  Wink (Burke scored)

In all seriousness though I wish this game was on AVTV or something.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Gil, Sanchez and Weimann went off at half-time. Grealish just made it 2-0 (about an hour gone now)
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:39 pm

kimbo wrote:I reserve my right to be disturbed by Andi bloody Weimann been brought on ahead of him on Saturday.

I think we went defensive in the second half, Lowton and Bacuna stayed back more which I think led to them starting to do a little more attacking. Weimann might not be firing on any cylinders at the moment but he puts in a real shift getting himself between the opposition and our defence. That goal difference could make the world of difference.

I want to see Gil play though, I really do.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down