The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Our expectations

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Our expectations - Page 2 Empty Re: Our expectations

Post by Trotters Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Time, like energy, cannot be made or lost. Therefore, when time is gained at Old Trafford, it has to be lost somewhere else. :)
Trotters
Trotters

Our expectations - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:48 pm

That's too deep for me and my simplistic brain, Trotters.

It's a little bit like, "If a man expresses an opinion in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him...will he still be wrong?".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Randy said he wanted to make Aston Villa great.

Instead, over the past four years have we really been any better than we were in 2005-06? I think DO'L's final team with Mellberg, Laursen, Delaney, Bouma, Barry, Milner, McCann, Davis, Berger, Baros and Angel is arguably a better side than what we've had under McLeish and Lambert.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:06 pm

The Bald Eagle wrote:
Nigel Lowe wrote:I just wish we would win a trophy. A proper trophy. How long has it been since we have?

It would be nice to think that we wanted to win a cup but there have been some gutless displays by various managers and players in recent times. The two domestic cups have never been so easy to win but we never seem to go all out for them, but sooner look after our place in mid-table.

Indeed. I certainly believe that is the club's position. Just think back to the comments made by Lambert before the Sheffield United disappointment.

Firestarter wrote:
Nigel Lowe wrote:I just wish we would win a trophy. A proper trophy. How long has it been since we have?

The League Cup in 1996, Nigel. That was the last 'proper' trophy Villa lifted. Oh, and there was that Peace Cup we won a few years ago in the Far East. We beat Juventus in a penalty shoot out after the ref, for some reason best known to himself, blew for full time about six minutes shy of the end of extra time.

18 seasons since our last major trophy then. It's been far too long to wait and I don't expect that to end soon. So disappointing.

I do remember that Peace Cup game. I think Del Piero's penalty has just come out of orbit. It was that bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:32 pm

You are right nigel , it's far too long a wait for a trophy and we are further away than ever right now- poor squad and even worse manager - at least we have our memories:)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:33 pm

The sad thing is in the last couple of seasons we had a real chance to win something, chances thrown away by a crap manager and a crap squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:39 pm

The fact we lost over 2 legs to a team in the lowest tier of the league would be enough to sack most managers besides the 8-0 debacle, home form, and losses to millwall and sheff utd- farcical!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Eastie wrote:The fact we lost over 2 legs to a team in the lowest tier of the league would be enough to sack most managers besides the 8-0 debacle, home form, and losses to millwall and sheff utd- farcical!
I think the only reason he survived was that we were too shocked to kick up a real fuss. Also we were frightened who the crazy bastards would employ next.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Bradford was the big kick in the balls. One game away from Wembley and we blew it. A year later I still can't fathom his tactics when we were chasing the game. He responded in the manner I'd expect from a 10 year old playing Football Manager, rather than a proper football manager who earns a multi-million pound salary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Billy McBingo wrote:Bradford was the big kick in the balls. One game away from Wembley and we blew it. A year later I still can't fathom his tactics when we were chasing the game. He responded in the manner I'd expect from a 10 year old playing Football Manager, rather than a proper football manager who earns a multi-million pound salary.

Both legs were a shambles - and the fact we would have played swansea in the final ,want a great chance of silverware and European football.

It was a bigger fuck up than mons outrageous farce in Moscow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Eastie wrote:
Billy McBingo wrote:Bradford was the big kick in the balls. One game away from Wembley and we blew it. A year later I still can't fathom his tactics when we were chasing the game. He responded in the manner I'd expect from a 10 year old playing Football Manager, rather than a proper football manager who earns a multi-million pound salary.

Both legs were a shambles - and the fact we would have played swansea in the final ,want a great chance of silverware and European football.

It was a bigger fuck up than mons outrageous farce in Moscow.
That Moscow fiasco was when I started to loses faith in the Church of MoN and RL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Me too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:10 pm

People spent a lot of money going to that game and to only send that team was an insult, the attempt to 'repay' them with a dinner was an insult.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Holtender1982 wrote:People spent a lot of money going to that game and to only send that team was an insult, the attempt to 'repay' them with a dinner was an insult.

Also what was the point playing so many games to get that far and then put out a reserve team - it was the beginning of the end .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Eastie wrote:
Holtender1982 wrote:People spent a lot of money going to that game and to only send that team was an insult, the attempt to 'repay' them with a dinner was an insult.

Also what was the point playing so many games to get that far and then put out a reserve team - it was the beginning of the end .
It was disrespectful not only to those who went but to every Villa supporter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Wouldn't it have been lovely to go all the way and win that trophy in 2009?

We lost momentum that day, in more ways than one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Moscow at home started the rot, we were awful. Moscow away was a disgrace though, absolutely disgraceful. It still leaves me shaking my head in disbelief.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Firestarter wrote:

The League Cup in 1996, Nigel. That was the last 'proper' trophy Villa lifted. Oh, and there was that Peace Cup we won a few years ago in the Far East. We beat Juventus in a penalty shoot out after the ref, for some reason best known to himself, blew for full time about six minutes shy of the end of extra time.

Villa were based in Shitevilla AKA Vila Real de Santo António in Portugal that is a complete dump but does have a charming square and a crap fare and festival in October that I was lucky enough to be present at. Along with half of Portugal and Spain's gypsy communities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum