The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff

+3
villabromsgrove
kimbo
Trotters
7 posters

Go down

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff Empty Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff

Post by Trotters Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:45 am

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/BlogsEntry/0,,10265~4516057,00.html

Bodymoor Blog: Clark on Sherwood, MacDonald and top tackles
Ciaran Clark gives his views.
25th Feb 2015

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 0,,10265~13524419,00

First off, it's important to stress that despite the defeat to Stoke the boys are in positive spirits heading to Newcastle this weekend.

We were all absolutely devastated on the final whistle at the weekend.

It wasn't the best game of football in the world - as the gaffer said afterwards - but I felt like we were very deserving of at least a point.

I thought we were fairly comfortable throughout the contest so to come away with nothing at the end was unbelievably frustrating.

The last-gasp element of the loss kills you emotionally. You've thrown everything into the game and then you get that huge kick in the teeth.

The first goal was sloppy. We switched off for a few seconds. That's what can happen. Then there was the penalty right at the death.

It was utterly gutting. To get nothing was horrible.

But equally, in the position we are in, you have to be focused and ready for the next game. There's no point whatsoever in dwelling on the previous match.

We are looking forward to the games coming up. There's a real belief in the group. We are really confident in what we have got here.

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 0,,10265~13518684,00

We have a new manager in Tim Sherwood - and the number one thing with the gaffer is he's unbelievably positive. That's his outlook.

He wants the lads to go out and express themselves and not be frightened to make mistakes.

That gives you, as players, real confidence.

I think that's already been evident. He wasn't in charge of the FA Cup game but he had a big say at half-time.

Against Stoke too, I felt we were more inventive in the final third. We got behind their defence and were creating chances.

He's very hands-on. He's spoken to the lads individually - what he expects and what he wants. He's addressed the group too.

He gives you positive feedback and he's not shy in letting us know what we need to improve. He's very honest with us.

People will look at the Stoke game but the gaffer only had a few days to get his teeth into things at that point. He will have more time this week ahead of the trip to Newcastle.

The training has included short, sharp work. The players are feeling the benefit of that already. We're really enjoying it. There's a good intensity there.

Yes we're in the bottom three but we're really positive. The main thing now is putting the things we take from the training into the games.

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 0,,10265~13518700,00

Not only have we got a new gaffer but a new assistant manager too - and one who's very familiar to a lot of us.

It feels like Kevin MacDonald has come home. When he left, everyone was gutted because of the amount of work and time and dedication he had put into this place. It was a real shame when he departed.

I can't speak highly enough of Kevin. He helped bring me through the system and also was the one who gave me my first real run in the team when he was caretaker manager after Martin O'Neill left.

He's a top guy. He's a top coach. He knows all about the club - what this club means - and it's great to see him back where he belongs.

It's brilliant for the first team to have the chance to work with a brilliant coach but it's also great for the age groups further down because he has a track record of bringing through and nurturing footballers.

He's shown what we can do with the players coming through - hopefully he can do the same again.

I owe him a lot. When I'm retired and looking back at my time in the game he's definitely one of the people I will remember - as well as Tony McAndrew and Gordon Cowans too.

They were real role models, tough taskmasters - but they always had our best interests at heart.

They set high standards and expected us to deliver. They didn't allow any slacking. It was our football on the pitch but also the way we conducted ourselves off the field too. They made us men.

I remember one morning and I was in charge of delivering the footballs to the reserve team before they trained. I sauntered out. It was one of my first few days.

I was due to drop them off to Kevin. The boys were already out - and waiting. I got a real earful from Kev and thought 'I'm never letting that happen again.' I learned from my mistake very quickly.

I got a right volley. I couldn't repeat exactly what he said!

But that just cemented in me the importance of doing things right.

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 0,,10265~10050466,00

We had great times under Kevin - some real success in that reserve team.

He created a good camaraderie in the group. We knew when we could let our hair down and when to be serious and focused. And I think he enjoyed taking our group.

We certainly really enjoyed having him as our manager.

I think what the boys here who haven't worked with him before will learn is that he's the same with everyone. He doesn't have favourites.

If someone needs praising he will do that. But if someone is not pulling their weight in sessions, he will tell them too. You respect that.

We are really happy to have him back.

Mark Robson, Seamus Brady and Tony Parks have come in too.

It's only a few days in but they are really positive like the gaffer. They're incredibly eager to stamp their mark on what we're doing here as a group. It's been good to see.

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 0,,10265~13327541,00

Finally, I've got to discuss my tackling.

It seems to have become a hot topic with the fans since I flew into one against Leicester late last year.

I was flicking through my Twitter account the other day and spotted a Vine video someone had produced - with another of my tackles, this time in the FA Cup match against the Foxes.

The fact is that I love a good tackle. There's nothing better for a defender. I love seeing a ball there to be won - and winning it.

There's some challenges where people would have put me at 30-70 to win it but I have managed to come out on top. I think that's just my competitiveness and sense of 'no fear'.

There's been a few times where I have probably been a bit rash, I will admit that, but it's a learning curve - life is a learning curve - and I am improving on the pitch.

Winning a good tackle definitely gives the team a lift, the lads a lift and the crowd a lift - that can only be a good thing.

Fans seem to have picked up on it with me. The first one was in front of the Holte End and I remember the cheer when I won it.

Now supporters seem to almost expect one from me in every game. I think they like my commitment to the cause. They want to see the lads showing that desire.

Then there was the one near the centre-circle, against Leicester again.

Like I said earlier, I've seen it on repeat on social media a few times. It does give me a buzz to see how much fans enjoy it and how it gives them a lift.

Overall, I really feel the support from the fans. I can really feel them getting behind me. I truly appreciate that. That means a lot.

I am feeling good. I still feel there's more to come from me.

Last season I didn't get much game time. Then I wasn't in favour at the start of the season but I bided my time and I feel like I have taken my chance.

I wanted to stamp my place on the team. I feel like that's what I have done. Now it's about keeping that consistency.

Trotters
Trotters

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff Empty Re: Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff

Post by kimbo Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:20 pm

I like Clarky. As I said recently somewhere else on here, I was always a fan and defended him to other supporters, insisting that he'll come good, but then I pretty much gave up on him last season. Now he's turned it around and proven me right or wrong, depending on what way you look at it!  Laughing

Certainly since his recent run in the side he's regularly been one of our better players (not that that's been saying much at times, but still) and I'd much rather see him as captain than Gabby - in fact when he captained the side against Bournemouth I thought he not only played well but was visibly more vocal.

Oh and who doesn't love a crunching (and in his defence, fair) tackle?   Scarf Waving
kimbo
kimbo

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff Empty Re: Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Clark has great potential. He's 90% of the way there and considering that CB's tend to play their best football in their later twenties he's still got time to add that extra 10%. He has to cut out the occasional rash challenge around our box, and his positioning has to be tightened up. When he can concentrate for 90 minutes he'll be the real deal. If he spent less time telling everyone else what to do, and focussed more on his own game he could be superb.
villabromsgrove

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:48 pm

He used to captain the reserves when I went down to watch them and I always rated him, never afraid to accept responsibility and was always looking to play the ball out of defense. Although I agree with Kimbo in that I was constantly defending him to other people, especially my son, and very nearly gave up on him last season but I am really pleased to see him come through that period of inconsistency. I thought that he might make a better defensive midfield player but fair play to him he has certainly cemented one of the centre half positions. I feel certain that he will make a great captain in the future.
achilles
achilles

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc forever Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:03 pm

A good read I enjoyed it.
avfc forever
avfc forever

Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Leafs1201 Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 pm

A new 5 year deal for Clark this morning, we're certainly offering a lot of long term deals these days, probably making sure there's no repeat of the snake for a while, UTV....
Leafs1201
Leafs1201

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Leafs1201 wrote:A new 5 year deal for Clark this morning, we're certainly offering a lot of long term deals these days, probably making sure there's no repeat of the snake for a while, UTV....

I've got a feeling that's influenced by some of the former arsenal men we have acquired lately.

Back to top Go down

Post by bazzah Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Good timing ahead of the curtain raiser. Clark will be a key man for us this season and now he can concentrate on commanding the back line. Even though he'll be alongside captain Richards, he's been around for a while now and will be seen as one of the senior players. He has leadership qualities which he needs to show consistently with his performances. Time to step it up Clarky lad Ciaran Clark talks about lots of stuff 3769219917
bazzah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum