The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa

+7
deadbuzz
VTID85
FoxyAV
VillaBill
Jae1411
Saunders82
Dazzle
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa  - Page 2 Empty Re: Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa

Post by Saunders82 Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 pm

deadbuzz wrote:Davis wasn't even on the bench, so we don't actually know if he's fit, presumably not, otherwise I'm sure he would have been in the squad. I don't know if we're allowed to use Hogan in the play-offs, but we might need him.

According to DS Davis was taken ill just before the game
Saunders82
Saunders82

Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa  - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa  - Page 2 Empty Re: Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa

Post by Villa Ranger Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Dazzle wrote:This match is now almost certainly a match between playoff rivals. It might be two “B” teams. I can understand the calls to try and keep the winning sequence going, however it must surely be sensible to have both eyes firmly fixed on the playoff semifinal. Besides, I think we can still field a strong and able starting eleven even if we take 2 or 3 out of the firing line. It only takes a couple of seconds for a rush of blood moment that could seriously put our playoff chances at risk. As an example, Kalinic is currently recovering from minor surgery and Nyland is long term out. Our current back up GK is Sarkic. If Steer got injured or picked up a red card we would lose a vital component in our winning run and be left with an inexperienced GK. Not good. The same argument can be made for Grealish & McGinn, both vital players to our chances. With all of that in mind, my starting 11 for Elland Road would look like;

..................................Sarkic...............................
Elmo..............Elphick................Jedinak...........Taylor
.................................Whelan..............................
ElGhazi...........Lansbury.............Hourihane.........Green
................................Davis.......,........................

Bench; Steer, Mings, Grealish, Kodjia, McGinn, Tuanzebe*, Hause*

*assumes back from injury

Spot on, this, Dazzle.

I was talking to my daughter's boyfriend (a Blue Nose) last weekend, and I predicted Leeds would try and put Grealish on a stretcher, to dent our chances of standing between them and promotion.

He said that wasn't Bielsa's style. I said it didn't matter. The Leeds players could get together themselves and decide that's what they had to do.

He phoned me at half-time and said he couldn't believe how Grealish was being targeted or that Leeds still had 11 men on the pitch.

As soon as I saw Grealish's name on the teamsheet today I was concerned. Thank McGrath he came through unscathed (though not for the want of trying by them scumbags).

Obviously Kodjia's injury looks bad. Dean Smith thought it was a foul. I've watched it a couple of times. Not sure, but Kodjia's leg gets impacted sideways at the knee as he challenges for the ball. Didn't look good.

Incidentally, my daughter's boyfriend says he used to think Grealish was an overrated, diving primadonna, but is now a convert to what an outstanding player he is. Says he is targeted by shit Championship players who don't like having the piss taken out of them by such a gifted player. Also says he needs to get out of the Championship because the ref's give him no protection, allowing 2 or 3 free shots at him without booking anyone.

Enlightened stuff from a Nose. Shame my boss (a Newcastle fan) can't see the light. Thinks Grealish deserves to have his legs broken "because of his wanky haircut".  Rolling Eyes
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa  - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Villa Ranger wrote:
Dazzle wrote:This match is now almost certainly a match between playoff rivals. It might be two “B” teams. I can understand the calls to try and keep the winning sequence going, however it must surely be sensible to have both eyes firmly fixed on the playoff semifinal. Besides, I think we can still field a strong and able starting eleven even if we take 2 or 3 out of the firing line. It only takes a couple of seconds for a rush of blood moment that could seriously put our playoff chances at risk. As an example, Kalinic is currently recovering from minor surgery and Nyland is long term out. Our current back up GK is Sarkic. If Steer got injured or picked up a red card we would lose a vital component in our winning run and be left with an inexperienced GK. Not good. The same argument can be made for Grealish & McGinn, both vital players to our chances. With all of that in mind, my starting 11 for Elland Road would look like;

..................................Sarkic...............................
Elmo..............Elphick................Jedinak...........Taylor
.................................Whelan..............................
ElGhazi...........Lansbury.............Hourihane.........Green
................................Davis.......,........................

Bench; Steer, Mings, Grealish, Kodjia, McGinn, Tuanzebe*, Hause*

*assumes back from injury

Spot on, this, Dazzle.

I was talking to my daughter's boyfriend (a Blue Nose) last weekend, and I predicted Leeds would try and put Grealish on a stretcher, to dent our chances of standing between them and promotion.

He said that wasn't Bielsa's style. I said it didn't matter. The Leeds players could get together themselves and decide that's what they had to do.

He phoned me at half-time and said he couldn't believe how Grealish was being targeted or that Leeds still had 11 men on the pitch.

As soon as I saw Grealish's name on the teamsheet today I was concerned. Thank McGrath he came through unscathed (though not for the want of trying by them scumbags).

Obviously Kodjia's injury looks bad. Dean Smith thought it was a foul. I've watched it a couple of times. Not sure, but Kodjia's leg gets impacted sideways at the knee as he challenges for the ball. Didn't look good.

Incidentally, my daughter's boyfriend says he used to think Grealish was an overrated, diving primadonna, but is now a convert to what an outstanding player he is. Says he is targeted by shit Championship players who don't like having the piss taken out of them by such a gifted player. Also says he needs to get out of the Championship because the ref's give him no protection, allowing 2 or 3 free shots at him without booking anyone.

Enlightened stuff from a Nose. Shame my boss (a Newcastle fan) can't see the light. Thinks Grealish deserves to have his legs broken "because of his wanky haircut".  Rolling Eyes

People who reckon Grealish is good now, just wait until he’s in the Premier League getting proper protection from the officials. He’ll go up another notch or two when players aren’t allowed to smash through him without being sent off. I honestly think that the officials let so much go because we’re Aston Villa, they seem to allow us to be treated like a punchbag. The Leeds players tactics today were a throwback to 80s Wimbledon football. For them to finish with 11 on the pitch is a sick joke, amplified by us having a player sent off because Bamford cheated, pretending he’d been struck in the face. The officiating is so bad in the championship it’s becoming comical.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Those cheating bastards!! I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Leeds (when Peter Lorimer was playing) this year though they are on a par with the bin dippers and the scum down the road. I could cheerfully slap the whole team, with the possible exception of Hernandez who seems as decent as he's always been.
WendyOz
WendyOz

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzz Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 am

Saunders82 wrote:
deadbuzz wrote:Davis wasn't even on the bench, so we don't actually know if he's fit, presumably not, otherwise I'm sure he would have been in the squad. I don't know if we're allowed to use Hogan in the play-offs, but we might need him.

According to DS Davis was taken ill just before the game

Hopefully he will be alright then, Kodjia as well. Abraham should be fit, but we need some back up as well.
deadbuzz
deadbuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:36 am

Wasn't the referee from the PL?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Match thread; Leeds Utd v Aston Villa  - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 am

FoxyAV wrote:Wasn't the referee from the PL?

I think it was Stuart Atwell, who is supposedly a Premier League standard referee. He was pretty dire. It just seems to me that other teams are allowed to get two or three free hits in when they play Villa. Just remember some of the challenges over the last 2-3yrs that Grealish has been on the end of, and how many red cards have been shown........I can’t remember a straight red given on a single occasion? Everything about that Cooper challenge yesterday pointed to a red card. Feet off the ground, out of control, the follow through, aggressive intent. Same with Kieftenbeld challenges in the derbies, same with Fredericks challenge in playoff final. They are the ones that stand out, there are more.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:15 am

Sorry I don't contribute as much on here but that last game deserves a shout out! Jaysus.

Nice to be talked about tho.

Any news on El Gahzi's red (which was presumably given for being a terrible attempt to elbow someone)?
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:17 pm

We are due some Karma moving forward, Karma owes us for the hand of Rod against the Albion & with any luck, we will meet Leeds in the final, not put the ball out with one of their players injured & El Ghazi will run through skinning Pontus on the way to scoring the winner 😁
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzz Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 pm

I see the Leeds United official twitter has retweeted a video of Arsene Wenger saying what a remarkable gesture it was for Bielsa to allow the us to score the goal, and that we should have played to the whistle for their goal, which completely misses the point, the only reason we didn't play to the whistle is because the Leeds player feigned to kick it out, so our players stopped, the players of any other team would have also stopped in the same situation, utterly baffling that some don't seem to be able to get that, if he hadn't have acted like he was going to kick it out we would have carried on playing until the referee's whistle.

Anyway at the end of the day this game meant very little, and probably not doing ourselves any favours if we dwell on it, when there's more important things for us to concentrate on, well at least I hope the players have forgot about it already.
deadbuzz
deadbuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm

The linesman was also at fault, plus the ref, EL Ghazi will get off.it seems we allways get the bad karma, agree we need some good Karma for a change.We should rest a few players next game, then its onwards and upwards. UTV.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzz Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm

To be honest It woudln't surpise me if we get knocked out of the play-offs, and it's because of some baffling decision that the officials make. I notice that the EFL have rejected the chance to use VAR in the finals, probably because they know it's easier for them to dictate what they want to happen without it. And we all know it's better for their competition if they have a team like Villa amongst it's members.
deadbuzz
deadbuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:41 am

deadbuzz wrote:I see the Leeds United official twitter has retweeted a video of Arsene Wenger saying what a remarkable gesture it was for Bielsa to allow the us to score the goal...

There are a few reasons why giving the goal back was the correct thing to do: Neither Leeds nor Villa would move in the table, we're not going to play each other in the first round of play-offs, they would have been pilloried for an absence of sportsmanship and if they meet us in the final they really wouldn't want us fired up to beat the crap out of them. I suspect the latter still stands though, the players and management are going to be livid about what happened, how Grealish and others were kicked round the pitch, Bamford's cheating and El Ghazi's sending off. Plus we defended superbly.

The FA would have been a laughing stock had the goal been allowed to stand. The player was offside and the referee sent off El Ghazi when it should have been Bamford.

Unless, and I only just thought of this, El Ghazi is some kind of magician and the FA don't want his evil face pain spell anywhere near the final?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:16 am

It wasn’t even a great act of sportsmanship, would Bielsa even of offered if Deano hadn’t suggested it?
If they could catch Sheffield United, would his answer be the same , if it happened again in the play offs , would it be the same?
I do hope it’s a Leeds v Villa final
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:00 am

The best lesson that can be learnt from this is to play the game to the referees whistle. Forget all this “we kicked it out for, you should do it for us” nonsense and keep playing and concentrating until the referee signals otherwise. We had no need to kick it out for the Forshaw injury, keep playing. I get the problem with Roberts looking like he was signaling he’d kick it out. But believe me, had that been the playoff final there’s not a chance of Leeds giving a goal away. So I hope our players are drilled to focus 100% on playing to the whistle and ignoring everything else but the referee. You can show your sportsmanship after winning the game.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm

FoxyAV wrote:
deadbuzz wrote:I see the Leeds United official twitter has retweeted a video of Arsene Wenger saying what a remarkable gesture it was for Bielsa to allow the us to score the goal...

There are a few reasons why giving the goal back was the correct thing to do: Neither Leeds nor Villa would move in the table, we're not going to play each other in the first round of play-offs, they would have been pilloried for an absence of sportsmanship and if they meet us in the final they really wouldn't want us fired up to beat the crap out of them. I suspect the latter still stands though, the players and management are going to be livid about what happened, how Grealish and others were kicked round the pitch, Bamford's cheating and El Ghazi's sending off. Plus we defended superbly.

The FA would have been a laughing stock had the goal been allowed to stand. The player was offside and the referee sent off El Ghazi when it should have been Bamford.

Unless, and I only just thought of this, El Ghazi is some kind of magician and the FA don't want his evil face pain spell anywhere near the final?

Is that true though, Foxy?

Surely, if West Brom beat Derby and Leeds lose to Ipswich (unlikely I know, but still possible), then the Boggies overtake Leeds on GD and we would be up against Dirty Leeds in the playoff semis?
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Villa Ranger wrote:Is that true though, Foxy?

I'll get back to you about that on Sunday afternoon...
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2