The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

paul lambert

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

paul lambert Empty paul lambert

Post by Jae1411 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:55 am

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-lambert-happy-aston-villa-10815903
This makes me hate him even more. I actually felt sorry for him at one point. No wonder we were sleep walking to relegation he was just picking up a wage waiting for his pay off
Jae1411

paul lambert 0_star10

Back to top Go down

paul lambert Empty Re: paul lambert

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:01 am

Can't see what's wrong with that. I like Paul. Seems a pretty level headed guy. He's right as well, there's a cancer in this club and it's at the very top.

Despite some awful results, he didn't have that much money to play with. He kept us above water in seasons we should have been relegated.

In fairness he gave his all and looked like he'd aged 50 years in 3 seasons

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:55 am

I thought he was rubbish. All he knew was a 4-3-3 and that was it. No variation, would substitute one player bang on 60 minutes, didn't react to what the opposition did, couldn't understand that all you had to do was either pressure Villa and double mark Benteke so our one line of attack didn't work, or even better just sit deep and watch us pass sideways and backwards while our three up front marked their defenders. The midfield sat too deep so we never scored from there and often we'd have seen one chance each for Weimann, Gabby and Benteke wasted in our 23% possession. Weimann in particular always looked knackered because he ran himself ragged, not a natural state for a striker best played down the middle (we could do with him now, playing with Gestede or Ayew). Sure, Lambert had to rebuild the team but he didn't actually do much with it other than tread water. I hate to think what he would have done had he had a bigger budget.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

paul lambert 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:17 am

His record speaks for itself, should have been sacked well before he was and then who knows we might not have been in this position, although with Lerner in charge he would have found a way to muck it up!
achilles
achilles

paul lambert 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:49 am

I remember a quote from Lamberk..........

"Ach noooooo, canny gerra nope och wayyyy, weee cudna, och.................... aye"

Nuff said.
4BetLite
4BetLite

paul lambert 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by féliré on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:02 am

Don't stress, he just answered to a journalist. 

I don't think Lambert is a bad coach, but the fact is he didn't manage when he was coaching, even though he tried to find solutions many times by changing again and again his tactics. 
Considering this, we can easily understand that Lambert lived his termination like a relief. He worked honestly at Villa, he always assumed bad results, etc.
féliré
féliré

paul lambert 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 am

Well with all his faults Lamberk always has the courage to GO AGAIN aaggggggggggggggggggggg Scarf Waving
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

paul lambert 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 pm

The bar is set pretty low - but he looks to be best manager weve had post MON... !

He did loose it big time with that sideways passing thing - that was when I gave up on him...
smetro
smetro

paul lambert 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:54 am

Always thought he did the best he could with tragic people above him... Replace him with Sherwood, Garde or whoever the problem remains and will do until we have new owners...assuming they will have ability & ambition that is.
The Utterer
The Utterer

paul lambert 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:12 am

All of our ex-managers will feel vindicated now. MoN especially.

But, for me, they all still retain a big chunk of the blame for our position regardless of the sugarbags above them.

Look at the manager at Blues: had those asset-stripping Chinese triads rip the guts out of that club and yet, despite spending very little, he's put together a team that have given their fans the kind of hope that we haven't had in years. And it could well be that we'll be trading places with them. Sad

We just appointed the wrong people at the wrong time, gave them the wrong money to buy the wrong players and....well, it's all gone wrong.

Funny that.
Trotters
Trotters

paul lambert 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 am

I still think Paul Lambert was/is a far better manager than villa fans give him credit for. He basically kept a championship side (at best) in the premier league relatively comfortably (compared to now), and managed to unearth the likes of Benteke, Okore and Gil and also bring players like Cissoko, Sanchez and Sinclair to a side in the lower reaches of the league. The money he spent on Bacuna and Westwood was ridiculously low for the amount of premier league games they have played (regardless of your opinion of their respective qualities).
Yes he also brought in a fair few duds...but when you are shopping at Lidl, that will happen more often than not.

Look at the back four we had in that first year....Bennett, Baker, Clark, Lowton....Jesus Christ, that still gives me shivers!

Yet we went to Anfield and won (twice), we won at the Emirates, beat Chelsea and Man City....you cannot deny what he achieved. Yes, he also broke many of the clubs unwanted records....kinda get the feeling those records would of been broken anyway...and fear there is yet worse to come!

They say hindsight is 20/20, and whilst Lambert made many mistakes that's for certain, and at the time he left I couldn't see any other decision the club could of made.....in less than 12 months since he went the football side of the club has fell through the floor. The hierarchy has been imploding for years, but in less than 12 months the football side has literally blown up!

I think the biggest mistake he made was appointing Roy Keane as assistant. Perhaps if he had brought in Eric Black instead back then....?....who knows!!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

paul lambert 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:16 am

Lamberk came in had an awful first half of the season, improved towards the end of the second half then went absolutely rubbish.

He was gutless from the end of season one onwards trying to defend his way to results. The football under Garde is Barcelonaesque compared to Lamberks drivel. He had a half decent side and Sherwood showed how to get them winning immediately.

Typical porridge manager and it's always everyone else's fault. However clueless our board and inbred owner are they were not picking the team or deciding the tactics. Lamberk should grow a pair and admit that his is Championship level at best very poor manager.
DelboyVilla

paul lambert 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't like shit talking managers. And in all honesty I think the Villa job is impossible. We're a club that expect to be fighting for titles, with fans that expect to be fighting for titles. A club the media expects should be fighting for titles. While we have an owner that thinks budgeting as a championship club is ok.

We're going nowhere. We won't win another trophy for absolute eons.

Villa Park is already too big for us. Can't fill it for toffee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Joppe84 wrote:Villa Park is already too big for us. Can't fill it for toffee.

Filling it WITH toffee might help.

I think that Lambert was severely weakened when his lieutenants got found out for their "exuberant" man-management skills. He looked a bit lost after that.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

paul lambert 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:17 pm

@ViewFromT2 wrote:I still think Paul Lambert was/is a far better manager than villa fans give him credit for. He basically kept a championship side (at best) in the premier league relatively comfortably (compared to now), and managed to unearth the likes of Benteke, Okore and Gil and also bring players like Cissoko, Sanchez and Sinclair to a side in the lower reaches of the league. The money he spent on Bacuna and Westwood was ridiculously low for the amount of premier league games they have played (regardless of your opinion of their respective qualities).
Yes he also brought in a fair few duds...but when you are shopping at Lidl, that will happen more often than not.

Look at the back four we had in that first year....Bennett, Baker, Clark, Lowton....Jesus Christ, that still gives me shivers!

Yet we went to Anfield and won (twice), we won at the Emirates, beat Chelsea and Man City....you cannot deny what he achieved. Yes, he also broke many of the clubs unwanted records....kinda get the feeling those records would of been broken anyway...and fear there is yet worse to come!

They say hindsight is 20/20, and whilst Lambert made many mistakes that's for certain, and at the time he left I couldn't see any other decision the club could of made.....in less than 12 months since he went the football side of the club has fell through the floor. The hierarchy has been imploding for years, but in less than 12 months the football side has literally blown up!

I think the biggest mistake he made was appointing Roy Keane as assistant.  Perhaps if he had brought in Eric Black instead back then....?....who knows!!

Did Lambert find those players though, does he get any of the credit for bringing Benteke over? I haven't a clue. I could have sworn for ages we had players like Ireland, Bent and Hutton who sat in the reserves not being played, was Lambert responsible for that or was that someone else's fault? What would we give to have Bent up front and Albrighton on the wing right now? I'm ignoring N'Zogbia, even Garde has given up on him (and Sherwood played him in the cup final last year, that probably says a lot).

Sherwood started out well but had fundamental issues, including an inability to decide which players he wanted to field or which tactics (if any) they should try to stick to. He rewarded any player doing well with the bench for a match or two and rewarded failure and lack of commitment with a starting place. Complete capitulation at Wembley followed complete capitulation at Southampton. He started this season as he left off. Garde has transformed the team. Sure, he has lots of the same players but he seems to get them playing well and learns from his mistakes. Sherwood started well but the cracks opened up pretty soon. How much he had to do with signing all the new players we'll find out one day (as with Lambert and the players he signed) but I would say the current state of the club has more to do with Lambert and his entirely negative hit and miss style of predictable play and player management than what his successors have achieved since his sacking. Lerner is responsible for the mess we're in but Garde is the best manager we've had in years. Sure, we never found out about Houllier but Garde is head and shoulders above everyone else since and probably including MON.

Or to put it another way, Leicester are evidence of what a good manager and some careful scouting and buying can produce.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

paul lambert 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 am

@DelboyVilla wrote:Lamberk came in had an awful first half of the season, improved towards the end of the second half then went absolutely rubbish.

He was gutless from the end of season one onwards trying to defend his way to results. The football under Garde is Barcelonaesque compared to Lamberks drivel. He had a half decent side and Sherwood showed how to get them winning immediately.

Typical porridge manager and it's always everyone else's fault. However clueless our board and inbred owner are they were not picking the team or deciding the tactics. Lamberk should grow a pair and admit that his is Championship level at best very poor manager.

I don't see much difference between the Lambert side and this side to be truthful...both teams looked good between the boxes.....but neither team could score goals and both defences were pretty poor in terms of giving goals away cheaply. Both teams lack any real threat in the final third but can keep the ball on the halfway line for fun. Both teams got full backs into good wide areas only to deliver very little in terms of quality balls into the box.

"Sherwood showed how to get them winning immediately" .....hmmm, thought we lost to Stoke and Newcastle when he came?
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

paul lambert 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:03 am

@FoxyAV wrote:
@ViewFromT2 wrote:I still think Paul Lambert was/is a far better manager than villa fans give him credit for. He basically kept a championship side (at best) in the premier league relatively comfortably (compared to now), and managed to unearth the likes of Benteke, Okore and Gil and also bring players like Cissoko, Sanchez and Sinclair to a side in the lower reaches of the league. The money he spent on Bacuna and Westwood was ridiculously low for the amount of premier league games they have played (regardless of your opinion of their respective qualities).

I think the biggest mistake he made was appointing Roy Keane as assistant.  Perhaps if he had brought in Eric Black instead back then....?....who knows!!

Did Lambert find those players though, does he get any of the credit for bringing Benteke over? I haven't a clue. I could have sworn for ages we had players like Ireland, Bent and Hutton who sat in the reserves not being played, was Lambert responsible for that or was that someone else's fault? What would we give to have Bent up front and Albrighton on the wing right now? I'm ignoring N'Zogbia, even Garde has given up on him (and Sherwood played him in the cup final last year, that probably says a lot).

Sherwood started out well but had fundamental issues, including an inability to decide which players he wanted to field or which tactics (if any) they should try to stick to. He rewarded any player doing well with the bench for a match or two and rewarded failure and lack of commitment with a starting place. Complete capitulation at Wembley followed complete capitulation at Southampton. He started this season as he left off. Garde has transformed the team. Sure, he has lots of the same players but he seems to get them playing well and learns from his mistakes. Sherwood started well but the cracks opened up pretty soon. How much he had to do with signing all the new players we'll find out one day (as with Lambert and the players he signed) but I would say the current state of the club has more to do with Lambert and his entirely negative hit and miss style of predictable play and player management than what his successors have achieved since his sacking. Lerner is responsible for the mess we're in but Garde is the best manager we've had in years. Sure, we never found out about Houllier but Garde is head and shoulders above everyone else since and probably including MON.

Or to put it another way, Leicester are evidence of what a good manager and some careful scouting and buying can produce.

Pretty sure the 'bomb quad' was not Lambert's doing...but can find no sense at all in not being allowed to play players we are paying good money too?
Yes Lambert found Benteke...if you read interviews at the time and since, he makes it clear that he personally went out to watch him several times and took the time to talk to the Belgian manager and other coaches in Europe that knew Benteke so that he could get an idea of his character. Given proper backing I've no doubt Lambert would have delivered a decent side. He certainly has an eye for a player it would seem. Remember how many we were linked with, truly decent talent?...the club refused to spend the money.

Not saying he was all sweetness and light by any stretch, and I think the two sidekicks getting sacked did change him. Appointing Roy Keane was an horrific mistake though, almost as bad as Sherwood appointing Wilkins !!!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

paul lambert 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:59 pm

Lambert did well under the circumstances but his last 6 months were a disaster and, coupled with the Bradford debacle, mean his reputation in respect to his time at VP was very damaged
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

paul lambert 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:56 am

@Villa_Dan wrote:Lambert did well under the circumstances but his last 6 months were a disaster and, coupled with the Bradford debacle, mean his reputation in respect to his time at VP was very damaged

Yeah the Bradford loss cost him the respect of the fans for good it would seem.

His last 6 months coincide with the Keane appointment aswell.....hindsight is a wonderful thing though isn't it!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

paul lambert 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm

achilles
achilles

paul lambert 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:57 pm

What I mostly remember of Lambert's style of play was low possession with last ditch defending leading to Guzan or a defender punting the ball forward for three strikers to run themselves ragged chasing. The net result was three strikers who were invariably knackered, a midfield line there solely to defend, very boring football to watch and a reliance on luck. I remember well the 27% or so possession at Southampton three or so years ago and the three goals on the break (Gabby's chest preceding him up the pitch was a joy to see). When Lambert changed to possession rather than counter attack, we perfected the sideways pass while the three strikers marked the opposition defence. Either tactic was easy to counter - just stick two defenders on Benteke and let any goal kick or long ball bounce off him with no other Villa player near enough to help out, and let us have possession to do nothing with and clobber us on the counter. Nine times out of ten Guzan gave the ball back to the opposition anyway.

I'm just not convinced Lambert was the man for the job, but then why not find someone to do the job properly rather than give him scraps to feed on just to scrape through? Lambert looked like death warmed up by the time he was sacked and I don't bear a grudge against him. Managing Aston Villa is more about coping with not quite enough to do the job even adequately and he just couldn't produce the magic necessary.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

paul lambert 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ember on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:09 pm

I read that article - actually the Yahoo Sport version - and scoffed at it. It's a pile of disingenuous shite for the most part. Spoke to x, tried for y and the, get this, at one point he "offered to resign" but Randy wouldn't let him. What a cnut. He was Randy's slave, was he? Resignation was not an option, really? Only way out of that indenture and servitude was dismissal.

I fucking thing not, the slippery wanker. If he was that outraged he didn't need to offer to resign, he merely needed to tender his resignation.
"Dear Randolph Lerner, Due to the fact that I find myself in circumstances that result in my being unable to discharge my duties as expected by the club, fans and the board, I hereby tender my resignation with immediate effect. I would like to place on record my thanks and gratitude etc yadda yadda..."

However, that didn't happen because in order for Lerner to decline his "offer of resignation" he would have had to reject the "offer", which would have been something along the lines of "Look, pay up my contact and I'll resign."

Lets not forget, this was the cocksucker who signed a new contract in, I think, November 2014. He is full of shit.
ember
ember

paul lambert 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:48 am

I don't get the rage towards Lambert. I thought he was quite likeable. He really tried to get things working here. Not his fault Lerner has been budgeting like a league one side since 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:07 am

Joppe84 wrote:I don't get the rage towards Lambert. I thought he was quite likeable. He really tried to get things working here. Not his fault Lerner has been budgeting like a league one side since 2011
I will 2nd that.
NARLA24
NARLA24

paul lambert 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:35 am

Joppe84 wrote:I don't get the rage towards Lambert. I thought he was quite likeable. He really tried to get things working here. Not his fault Lerner has been budgeting like a league one side since 2011

The only manager since MON to ever look like doing anything - albeit briefly.

Would love to know his explanation of that what he tried in the last few months - where the ball was passed sideways across the park at walking pace - leading to much head scratching as to why we weren't scoring goals !
smetro
smetro

paul lambert 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum