The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.

+16
jeffvilla
My Old Man
Green Villan
Villa_Dan
switters
Morgan Villa
Robbo
Tomy-Flemba
Aesorian
Trotters
kimbo
USVillan
mefromhere
HarryAVFC
mickeywya
GadgetMan
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  Empty Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 pm

As the title says, let's use this to discuss tactics, formations and Starting XI and any platers that aren't already covered by another topic. Thanks
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  4_star10

Back to top Go down

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  Empty Re: Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.

Post by mickeywya Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:45 am

4-5-1 for me

GK Guzan - obvious choice
Defence Hutton Vlaar Senderos Baker not convinced by Okore and Baker at left back can be very solid, and when he makes his usual mistake of the match, we won't be punished as much.
Midfield Delph Cole Westwood Cole played just in front of Deph/Westwood, Westwood to stay just in front of the back 4 and Delph to roam around centre circle, has the energy to get back and tackle and also get forward and have a shot.
Wingers Gabby and Nzogbia - Swapping one of them two for Grealish in the second half.
Bent

.............Guzan
Hutton Vlaar Senderos Baker
...........Westwood
.............Delph
..............Cole
Gabby...................Nzogbia
..............Bent
mickeywya

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  0_star10

Back to top Go down

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  Empty Re: Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 am

mickeywya wrote:4-5-1 for me

GK Guzan - obvious choice
Defence Hutton Vlaar Senderos Baker not convinced by Okore and Baker at left back can be very solid, and when he makes his usual mistake of the match, we won't be punished as much.
Midfield Delph Cole Westwood Cole played just in front of Deph/Westwood, Westwood to stay just in front of the back 4 and Delph to roam around centre circle, has the energy to get back and tackle and also get forward and have a shot.
Wingers Gabby and Nzogbia - Swapping one of them two for Grealish in the second half.
Bent

.............Guzan
Hutton Vlaar Senderos Baker
...........Westwood
.............Delph
..............Cole
Gabby...................Nzogbia
..............Bent

Why not cissokho?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 am

Guzan

Hutton okore Vlaar senderos. Cissokho

Sanchez

Delph. Cole. Nzogbia

Bent

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Baker at LB!!!!!!! The guy is awful on the ball and has absolutely no pace. We should be selling him

Hate 5 at the back as well. Every time we play it we get passed of the park

Personally I like 442 or 4231

Dream line up for Stoke

Guzan

Mutton
Dross
Vlaar
Sissy

Sanchez
Delph

Zoggy
Grealish
Sinclair

Bent

Agree with Micky on Okore, looks very suspect. We all know Lambert will start Gabby and Wiemann. Carp players.
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeywya Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Sanchez and Sinclair? Have i missed something? lol

Id have baker as a left back but wouldn't have him going forward, we have been terrible at the back for years now, so id have baker play at LB and when we go forward, Let Hutton power ahead and then switch to a back 3 of Vlaar, Senderos and Baker and then when were defending go back to a back 4 of Hutton, Vlaar, Senderos and Baker.
mickeywya

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeywya Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Just read, why we going after Sinclair. Doesn't Lambert learn from other people mistakes. Liverpool loaned sisokho and he was terrible so we go and buy him. Sinclair was terrible at West Brom so now were gonna go in for him?

And why we have we got sisokho on a 4 year contract and we only signed Vlaar on a 3 year contract?

mickeywya

Back to top Go down

Post by mefromhere Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Guzan

Hutton Vlaar Okore Cissokho

Grealish Gardner Westwood Richardson

Bent N'Zogbia

Gabby and Weimann don't deserve to start and it may start to put some pressure on them to improve. Delph only ever goes side to side which is a waste of time so Westwood gets in ahead of him simply because he attempts to go forward even if those passes aren't always successful. Okore ahead of Senderos because we need some pace in the back line.

Think the rest explains itself.
mefromhere
mefromhere

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:25 pm

I'd like to see a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Guzan

Hutton-Senderos-Vlaar-Cissokho

Delph-Sanchez (If rumours are true) if not Westwood

Nzog-Grealish-Richardson

Bent

I'd introduce Okore slowly and id obviously have Benteke in when fit. This could easily be adapted to a 4-4-2 formation. With either Richardson (or preferably Grealish wide left) and NZog wide right and Benteke/bent up top. I really don't rate Gabby and Weimann and a period on the bench may focus their minds a little. *this is my formation, I think PL will go another way.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by USVillan Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:56 pm

-----------------------Guzan-----------------------

-Hutton-------Senderos-------Vlaar-----Cissokho--

----------------------Sanchez----------------------

---------Westwood---------------Delph-------------

--N'Zogbia-------------------------------Grealish----

--------------------Bent(eke)-----------------------

Probably our basic formation, with sufficient cover to the CBs and FBs, along with some attacking intent. If Sanchez is as advertised and is rock-like in front of Roncreteros, Westwood and Delph will be able to get forward more. You could also switch that into Lambert's initial 4-4-2 diamond (which, unfortunately, would rely on Cissokho's less-heralded abilities to provide width), keeping the back 3 midfielders in exchange for Cole/Grealish/N'Zog at the top of the diamond, adding in Weimann or Gabby playing behind the main striker. The nice thing with this is that there's actually a lot of cover to allow for squad rotation (we would still be missing a second DMF, so the strength and protection to the back would be sacrificed if Sanchez isn't in there...assuming he does actually sign):

-----------------------Given-------------------------

-Bacuna-------Okore---------Clark------Stevens-

--------------------Richardson----------------------

--------Gardner--------------------KEA-------------

--Cole---------------------------------Agbonlahor--

--------------------Kozac----------------------------

Not that I'd ever want that XI on the field all at the same time, mind... Wink
USVillan

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Good post US. I'd be happy with that as a starting XI. Will Lambert agree though?
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:46 pm

This isn't what will happen, but it's what I'd do. This is based on no new signings of course.

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  Stoket10

The difference when Grealish is on the pitch is painfully obvious. I'm not saying he should be playing 90 minutes of every single match, but there is genuinely no argument I have heard for not starting him that even makes a lick of sense.

As for Gardner, he is willing to run past the forwards, something we have barely had for a while; that in itself is ridiculous. The kid is 22 now, it's sink or swim time, and if his body is holding up, then he should be in. I never want to see Westwood and KEA in the same team, they are far too similar and it is so fucking pointless I want to tear out my own eyeballs.

Lowton instead of Hutton. Could be Bacuna. None of them can defend. People seem to forget this about Hutton. He is okay going forward, but when he was put under a bit of pressure against Gronigen, he was shit. Utterly shit. He also resorted to kicking people again; well done, tough guy. Hutton will start, but honestly I have no faith in any of them from a defensive point of view, so I picked Lowton on the basis that he is the best crosser of the ball, something Bent may find handy.

Speaking of Bent, I'm not his biggest fan but at least he has intelligent movement in and around the box - he made a bit of a difference when he came on yesterday.

I have not picked Agbonlahor or Weimann. I think both will start though, and I will probably throw up in my my mouth a little should it be confirmed. Of course I will shout my voice away at Stoke and be as supportive as I can, but I'll still be hugely pissed off should be in the team; a pair of complete and utter unjustifiable presences that have been in our team for far too long.
kimbo
kimbo

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryAVFC Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:57 pm

kimbo wrote:This isn't what will happen, but it's what I'd do. This is based on no new signings of course.

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  Stoket10

The difference when Grealish is on the pitch is painfully obvious. I'm not saying he should be playing 90 minutes of every single match, but there is genuinely no argument I have heard for not starting him that even makes a lick of sense.

As for Gardner, he is willing to run past the forwards, something we have barely had for a while; that in itself is ridiculous. The kid is 22 now, it's sink or swim time, and if his body is holding up, then he should be in. I never want to see Westwood and KEA in the same team, they are far too similar and it is so fucking pointless I want to tear out my own eyeballs.

Lowton instead of Hutton. Could be Bacuna. None of them can defend. People seem to forget this about Hutton. He is okay going forward, but when he was put under a bit of pressure against Gronigen, he was shit. Utterly shit. He also resorted to kicking people again; well done, tough guy. Hutton will start, but honestly I have no faith in any of them from a defensive point of view, so I picked Lowton on the basis that he is the best crosser of the ball, something Bent may find handy.

Speaking of Bent, I'm not his biggest fan but at least he has intelligent movement in and around the box - he made a bit of a difference when he came on yesterday.

I have not picked Agbonlahor or Weimann. I think both will start though, and I will probably throw up in my my mouth a little should it be confirmed. Of course I will shout my voice away at Stoke and be as supportive as I can, but I'll still be hugely pissed off should be in the team; a pair of complete and utter unjustifiable presences that have been in our team for far too long.

Love that line up. even better if Sanchez comes in for westy

I'm amazed Gabby still gets in line up's. One of the worst players around
HarryAVFC
HarryAVFC

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Kimbo did you use 'first 11' to produce that starting XI image?
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:05 pm

TheEgo wrote:Kimbo did you use 'first 11' to produce that starting XI image?

It was this thing dude - http://this11.com/
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:12 pm

kimbo wrote:
TheEgo wrote:Kimbo did you use 'first 11' to produce that starting XI image?

It was this thing dude - http://this11.com/

Cheers mate. I like it.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Westwood in front of the defence is what caused a lot of our issues last season. He simply provides no cover for them at all. You need a zone of three (N'Zog, Delph, Grealish, for example) with the full backs pushing higher up the pitch to stop anything coming down the flanks. Then two rock hard DM's ensuring nothing comes through the gaps. Westwood ain't doing that job I'm afraid. He'd be better off as one of the more forward three.

For the rear two in a 4-2-3-1, I wonder if Baker could be re-assigned? He attacks the ball well but just can't be counted on as the last line of defence.

Lambert will go for a 3-5-2 formation though and stick with it even if it fails massively time after time. If it works, he'll probably change it immediately.

Trotters
Trotters

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesorian Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

My Starting XI for Stoke (assuming no new signings)
Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  AbHqFtOahe

Subs:
Given
Okore [Plan to Bring on for Senderos]
Bacuna
Westwood
Cole
Grealish [Plan to Bring on for either Richardson or Zog]
Weimann

I wouldn't start Grealish or Okore, just because of the attacking players Stoke have now (Man, that's depressing to say) mean we need to be well organised at the back and anyone on the left will need to track well, as Stoke do like to play down their right [Cameron, Walters, Pennant and Bojan who they've just signed all like to run down that flank].

However I'd bring Grealish on to make a difference at the tail end of the match and Okore to make sure that Senderos doesn't get crocked.

Clark would play as a DM, giving us a bit more cover than Westwood or KEA would there, while Gardner and Delph would give us some forward momentum from the middle of the park.
Aesorian
Aesorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomy-Flemba Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  AbHqGDEabd
Find your football tactics app at this11.com

This is what I'd go for. Sanchez to cover to allow Westwood to push up a bit more. Play Delph behind Bent as I feel he could make full use of a CAM role. Dropped Gabby as he has looked awful pre-season and I feel Grealish offers alot more. N'Zogbia has looked up for it in pre-season so he takes the other wing.
Tomy-Flemba
Tomy-Flemba

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbo Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:24 pm

I can't remember a season when pre season was over and we basically have no idea of the formation the team will play, or most of the personnel.
We could see 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, or any version of 3-5-2.
I would say that only Guzan and Delph can be certain starters (Vlaar as well if match fit)
But for the other positions there seems to be around 4 alternatives for each position.
For me this is a positive as there is decent competition for places. Unlike last year certain individuals will now know that they will play every week regardless of form.
I think this, and Roy Keane's presence will put a stop to some of the limp efforts we saw - especially at home.
With no new signings I would go for...
                                  Guzan
Okore Vlaar Baker
Bacuna Westwood Gardner Delph Richardson
N'Zogbia
Bent
Robbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:41 am

Welcome to TBAR!

You're right that it's great to have the option of flexibility. Sadly, I feel it'll all be done wrong though. Time will tell, of course, and Lambert might surprise us by getting it right. But of all the decent formation on this thread, I still suspect he'll get it wrong and we'll be watching hoofball.

Of course, he'll introduce Grealish to add some spark to the side when we're 3-0 down with 5 mins to go.
Trotters
Trotters

Tactics, Formations, Player Selection.  5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 pm

Hopefully can swap Sanchez for Westwood in the team I picked, all being well.

I'd still like us to bring in another CM even with Sanchez hopefully arriving though. Just feels like we've been so weak there for so long.
kimbo
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Villa Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 pm

I would change the team to suit who we were playing. For example i would play KeA against Arsenal and Liverpool as he breaks there play up. He would not get a look in against Chelsea and Man City.
Morgan Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by switters Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

with Sanchez coming in, I think a midfield three of him, Delph and Westwood is on the cards. I think that would provide good balance: Sanchez to sit, cover the defence and break up play; Westwood as the Carrick-type getting on the ball (but with reduced defensive responsibilities thanks to Sanchez) and Delph to provide the legs, linking the midfield and front 3.

so I'd guess when all fit the first XI might be something like:

Guzan
Hutton-Okore-Vlaar-Cissokho
Westwood-Sanchez-Delph
N'Zogbia-Benteke-Gabby

the biggest questions for me would be who joins Benteke in the attacking three - could as easily be any of Cole, Grealish, Weimann, Kozak. it's going to depend on form, fitness, opposition, etc. not sure exactly where Richardson fits in the team but I think he'll probably play a lot of matches (much like Bacuna played more often than not last season, but in a variety of positions)

I suspect we'll start with Senderos over Okore, but Okore should get the chance to play himself into the team as the season goes. I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Okore is used at RB sometimes.

going with my above lineup, that'd give plenty of options in reserve:

GK: Given
RB: Lowton, Bacuna
LB: Bennett, Stevens
CB: Senderos, Clark, Baker, Donacien
CM: KEA, Gardner, Richardson, Herd
AM: Cole, Grealish
ST: Bent, Kozak, Weimann, Robinson

that'd be about 2 over the 25 man limit. I see Lowton and one of Bennett/Stevens going. and also perhaps Bent out to be replaced by another attacking signing
switters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am

switters wrote:with Sanchez coming in, I think a midfield three of him, Delph and Westwood is on the cards. I think that would provide good balance: Sanchez to sit, cover the defence and break up play; Westwood as the Carrick-type getting on the ball (but with reduced defensive responsibilities thanks to Sanchez) and Delph to provide the legs, linking the midfield and front 3.

so I'd guess when all fit the first XI might be something like:

Guzan
Hutton-Okore-Vlaar-Cissokho
Westwood-Sanchez-Delph
N'Zogbia-Benteke-Gabby

the biggest questions for me would be who joins Benteke in the attacking three - could as easily be any of Cole, Grealish, Weimann, Kozak. it's going to depend on form, fitness, opposition, etc. not sure exactly where Richardson fits in the team but I think he'll probably play a lot of matches (much like Bacuna played more often than not last season, but in a variety of positions)

I suspect we'll start with Senderos over Okore, but Okore should get the chance to play himself into the team as the season goes. I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Okore is used at RB sometimes.

going with my above lineup, that'd give plenty of options in reserve:

GK: Given
RB: Lowton, Bacuna
LB: Bennett, Stevens
CB: Senderos, Clark, Baker, Donacien
CM: KEA, Gardner, Richardson, Herd
AM: Cole, Grealish
ST: Bent, Kozak, Weimann, Robinson

that'd be about 2 over the 25 man limit. I see Lowton and one of Bennett/Stevens going. and also perhaps Bent out to be replaced by another attacking signing

Shocked with a fully fit squad that you would start gabby but each to their own I guess .

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next