The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Big Villa signings

2 posters

Go down

Big Villa signings Empty Big Villa signings

Post by Guest Sat May 31, 2014 1:22 pm

I just realised that we signed Stan Collymore on 16 May 1997 for £7m. Seventeen, yes SEVENTEEN years ago....

Big Villa signings Downlo10

At the times, it was a huge signing. Stan was hot property in the Premiership and he seemed set to give us that bit of extra firepower we needed to mount a title challenge. Tommy Johnson had been sold the previous March, a few days after scoring in an away win against Blackburn.

I was only eleven that summer and felt this was it. We had a great defence, decent midfield and were relying a bit too heavily on Yorke for goals. In hindsight of course it didn't quite work out the way we expected and Collymore was, on balance, a bit of a flop who let Little down big time.

Anybody else think we should have kept Tommy Johnson? I don't know why he was sold, he contributed some crucial goals in his time at Villa up to 1997, and certainly would have given us more than Collymore did in that following season.

Maybe we could use this thread to discuss memories of big villa signings? The Milosevics, Collymores, Angels and Bents of this world.Maybe even those nearly signings like Juninho...

Back to top Go down

Big Villa signings Empty Re: Big Villa signings

Post by Guest Sat May 31, 2014 4:57 pm

I thought he was the final piece of the jigsaw. We all expected so much but the guy let us down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Nigel Lowe wrote:I thought he was the final piece of the jigsaw. We all expected so much but the guy let us down.

He really did. He did show rare glimpses of real quality, but they were so bloody rare. He turned it on against Spurs at home that season, Liverpool home and Athletico.

Apart from that he upset the balance of the side. Since him, big money villa signings have sometimes filled me with as much trepidation as excitement...

by the way, that away kit was a gem. It was the first away top I ever bought.

Last edited by Farrell_10 on Sat May 31, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great white walnut Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:35 am

A signing I was really excited about at the time was Sasa Curcic, he was awesome for Bolton and I thought he was nailed on to be a star for us. WTF happened?
The Great white walnut
The Great white walnut

Big Villa signings 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:37 pm

The Great white walnut wrote:A signing I was really excited about at the time was Sasa Curcic, he was awesome for Bolton and I thought he was nailed on to be a star for us. WTF happened?

Agreed. He seemed like a great signing but went a bit crazy playing for us. Didn't he have a party bus?

I watched the review of the 1996/97 season recently and I have to say he did much better than I remembered. Scored a few, set up a few, showed glimpses just not consistently.

I think Little's side didn't really fulfill their potential. Even that 1996/97 season was a bit flat after the success of the previous year. Pity that we only have a League Cup to show for those years.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeywya Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:30 pm

I always remember Benni McArthy seemed to be linked with us all the time in the late 90's. Judging by his first season at Blackburn, it seemed like we missed out on a good player.

Also remember at the time we sold Yorke to Manchester United, wasn't we reportedly interested in getting Scholes in return?

I loved that shirt too, think i had number 7 on the back of it (Ian Taylor at the time) still got it somewhere. Always think of it as the Stan Collymore shirt.
mickeywya

Big Villa signings 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down