The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair?

+14
JohnJones
achilles
prmort
Wookster
Morpheus
whiteensign
Leighton
Dek of Villa
Roncrete
kimbo
BournVilla
erdingtonb24
Villa_Dan
Loth
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? Empty Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair?

Post by Loth Sat May 24, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm not quite sure the current lack of sparkle on the pitch is all due to Lambert, but in the event that we do want a replacement I think we could do a lot worse than to give Mr. Cowans a shot.

He is Villa through and through, he has repeatedly stepped up when the club has asked him to do something.  There is no doubt in my mind that he would do the best for the club that he could so.  So the only real question is, whether his best would be good enough.

He doesn't have much first team experience that's true, but surely he cant be worse than some of the crabs we have had managing Villa in recent memory.  He does know the younger guys coming through the ranks well and since it seems they will be the backbone of our team for the foreseeable future that might be a bigger asset than it seems. Right now, after the departure of Culverhouse and Karsa he is filling in as assistant manager if I recall correctly.

I'd love to hear opinions from others.  Would he even be interested in the job?

Derek/Loth
Loth

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? Empty Re: Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair?

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Not for me mate. We need somebody bloody ruthless in charge, Sid is too much of a nice guy to be honest. Sid for manager, sorry, not for me.

Back to top Go down

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? Empty Re: Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair?

Post by Villa_Dan Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Cowens is a great footballing guy, but not a manager for me. A perennial #2 or youth coach IMO
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by erdingtonb24 Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Yes
erdingtonb24

Back to top Go down

Post by BournVilla Sat May 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Absolutely not. He's never proved himself as a manager anywhere and has never looked like he has had the ambition to be one either.
We need to find a manager who has earned the right to be a manager, not employ someone for sentimental reasons. It's like something Newcastle would do.
BournVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 9:19 pm

BournVilla wrote:Absolutely not. He's never proved himself as a manager anywhere and has never looked like he has had the ambition to be one either.
We need to find a manager who has earned the right to be a manager, not employ someone for sentimental reasons. It's like something Newcastle would do.
100% agreed with you on that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Sentimentality and football management rarely mix. Except for Villa and Brian Little but he had already proved himself as a manager at that stage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Towards the end of last season I was in favour of having Sid step up to get us to the end of the season and provide a short term lift. Depending on your analysis of the current situation Lambert is either a nightwatchman taking care of things in the interim period before a change in owner brings a new manager or he is going to be our manager next season.

In the first scenario, sacking him is pointless as it makes no difference whether he or Sid is in charge. In the second, as dark as many of us find the prospect of Lambert staying on I am not sure that Sid would be the right man. At best it is a leap into the unknown. I'd also hate to see Sid thrust into the limelight and hung out to dry by having to manage the club under tight constraints as Lambert has been.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Billy McBingo wrote:Towards the end of last season I was in favour of having Sid step up to get us to the end of the season and provide a short term lift. Depending on your analysis of the current situation Lambert is either a nightwatchman taking care of things in the interim period before a change in owner brings a new manager or he is going to be our manager next season.

In the first scenario, sacking him is pointless as it makes no difference whether he or Sid is in charge. In the second, as dark as many of us find the prospect of Lambert staying on I am not sure that Sid would be the right man. At best it is a leap into the unknown. I'd also hate to see Sid thrust into the limelight and hung out to dry by having to manage the club under tight constraints as Lambert has been.
Agreed Billy.

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo Sat May 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Billy McBingo wrote:Towards the end of last season I was in favour of having Sid step up to get us to the end of the season and provide a short term lift. Depending on your analysis of the current situation Lambert is either a nightwatchman taking care of things in the interim period before a change in owner brings a new manager or he is going to be our manager next season.

I concur with this.

Also, most importantly - I am very confident that Sid would not at all be interested.
kimbo
kimbo

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncrete Sun May 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Cowans? No thanks not as manager.
Roncrete
Roncrete

Back to top Go down

Post by Dek of Villa Sun May 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Sid always appears to me that he enjoys working with the youth team players and when asked to move into the first team coaching, looks uncomfortable.

therefore he definitely shouldn't even be considered for the managers job. It's right out of his comfort zone.
Dek of Villa
Dek of Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Leighton Mon May 26, 2014 1:41 am

No.
Leighton
Leighton

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign Mon May 26, 2014 8:44 am

He's a Villa legend, but has no real managerial experience to his name!! Given the supporters reactions to McLeish and Lambert and the fact that Sid with no experience and possibly limited resources (there's still no concrete evidence to suggest that we'll have loads of money to spend next season) could well end up in the same boat!!! I don't think it would really be fair on Sid to possibly jeopardise his current standing as a 'Villa Legend'. Of course you could argue that it's not fair to not give him the chance, but I am of the opinion it would all end up rather sad and messy Sad
When Little (of the walks on water type Wink) came, he had already experienced managing Darlington and Leicester to promotions, so he came with some pedigree, but lets please not throw Sid into the cauldron!!!
So it's a NO from me!!!
whiteensign
whiteensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus Mon May 26, 2014 9:38 am

I think he has already stated inside Villa Park that he doesn't want it so we need to look elsewhere.
Morpheus
Morpheus

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wookster Mon May 26, 2014 9:57 am

Its a big no from me too.

Its always a big mistake when a club legend is thrust forward and is found wanting. It happens at so many clubs and they end up on the scrap heap.

Leave him in his comfort zone and long may he continue
Wookster
Wookster

Back to top Go down

Post by prmort Mon May 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Agreed.
prmort

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon May 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Absolutely not, I want to remember all the glory days when he played for the Villa!
achilles
achilles

Is it time to give Cowans a shot at the big chair? 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Love the bloke but it's too big a job for him. Think he'd prefer to stay with the youth teams anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnJones Mon May 26, 2014 10:53 pm

No.
JohnJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 27, 2014 1:48 am

If he was ever going to be in the hotseat it was only ever worth the risk for the last few games when it seemed as though they weren't playing for Lambert and needed something new just to get them a three points from somewhere.

Definitely not the time for him now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 27, 2014 8:56 am

Absolutely not - cowans is not manager material !

Back to top Go down

Post by roba19 Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 am

X
roba19

Back to top Go down

Post by jfeathero Tue May 27, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm in the Yes camp here. He's been around for ages, his tactical knowledge has got to be right up there. He knows the club in and out, he'll be passionate like no other manager, which is what we've been missing with the likes of Mcleish, Houllier, Lambert in charge.

I'm all for it. That said, I cant see it happening.
jfeathero

Back to top Go down

Post by Wookster Tue May 27, 2014 9:59 pm

Love his story of how he blacked his pumas up for the European Cup final and tippexed a Nike swoosh on the side. Class
Wookster
Wookster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next