The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Benteke-less! How can SID & PL get us scoring again?

+7
VillaBill
Morgan Villa
HH 8166
Kill@r33
Tomy-Flemba
FoxyAV
The Utterer
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Benteke-less! How can SID & PL get us scoring again? - Page 2 Empty Re: Benteke-less! How can SID & PL get us scoring again?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:59 pm

HH 8166 wrote:
Eastie wrote:Benteke turned the game against Norwich - had we lost that we would be as good as down by now- Weimann.  Has done nothing to justify a regular place this season and gabby has lived on past reputation .

Weimann is a known drinker and it's caught up with him. Got his nice new contract and his application has dropped off badly this season yet Lambert keeps picking him. He is a good player but someone who is woefully out of form so should be rested. Still think Grealish would have been very useful this season and could have games under his belt by now in the Premiership.

Weimann has looked a little bit tubby all season. What you have just said doesn't surprise me. We seem to have ended up, despite our young and hungry policy, with a few players that have the type of characteristics that you don't associate with winners.

The 'project', if ever was one, is in tatters. If young and eager players fall to bad habits what hope is there?

And on formation, I feel Delph and Westwood are too lightweight to play as a central two. Need an extra body in the centre, especially with Huddlestone in the Hull side.

Back to top Go down

Benteke-less! How can SID & PL get us scoring again? - Page 2 Empty Re: Benteke-less! How can SID & PL get us scoring again?

Post by Kill@r33 Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:
HH 8166 wrote:
Eastie wrote:Benteke turned the game against Norwich - had we lost that we would be as good as down by now- Weimann.  Has done nothing to justify a regular place this season and gabby has lived on past reputation .

Weimann is a known drinker and it's caught up with him. Got his nice new contract and his application has dropped off badly this season yet Lambert keeps picking him. He is a good player but someone who is woefully out of form so should be rested. Still think Grealish would have been very useful this season and could have games under his belt by now in the Premiership.

Weimann has looked a little bit tubby all season. What you have just said doesn't surprise me. We seem to have ended up, despite our young and hungry policy, with a few players that have the type of characteristics that you don't associate with winners.

The 'project', if ever was one, is in tatters. If young and eager players fall to bad habits what hope is there?

And on formation, I feel Delph and Westwood are too lightweight to play as a central two. Need an extra body in the centre, especially with Huddlestone in the Hull side.

Huddlestone plays the 'Gerrard' role for them ie deep playmaker. And he does have the ability to hit good accurate long balls. Weimann did a number on Gerrard at Anfield first half, but if we play him in that role who plays upfront? Gabby and Holt? Then how will Albrighton fit in? Thats one reason why I think 4312 or diamond midfield formation could work well with Albrighton playing that role then moving to either wing when on attack.
Kill@r33

Benteke-less! How can SID & PL get us scoring again? - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:16 pm

For me Albrighton is the key to whatever we are going to try. He is the man in form and has been our best (or least bad?) attacking player for a while now. The issue is with our strikers as I'm not really sure if I can trust any of them to score. I can theoretically see a use for Holt as he would be a useful foil for Albrighton's crosses but that really is taking the most optimistic view of his quality. I'm thinking 4-4-2 with Gabby wide left and Holt and Robinson up front though I'd have my doubts as to whether we'd be able to put together a central midfield two strong enough to pull it off.

HH 8166 wrote:
Ball watching, being static hence leaving little to no options for the man on the ball has been and continues to be our main problem. We don't seem to understand that running off the ball gives options and drags defenders out of position. Our diabolical defending is the other main reason for our woes.. These are basics and we are not good at either hence 16 points from 21 games and the likes of Fulham doing the double over us.

Aye. Our long-standing inability to move off the ball has been bugging me for a long time. It's not even a problem that started with Lambert as even under O'Neill we were poor at it. It's not exactly a difficult thing and is just a matter of coaching. It perplexes me, I have to admit.

Back to top Go down

Post by CTVillan Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:23 pm

VillaBill wrote:
---------------------------- Guzan------------------

Lowton--------------Vlaar---------Clarke---------Luna

Marc---------------Westwood-------Delph---------Bertrand

----------------Wiemann----------Gabby
I agree that we need to play two strikers, but I would put Bertrand to LB and Tonev in as Winger. Lowton and Clark could easily be Bacuna and Baker - there isn't much between them. This could have been a good game for a match-fit Gary Gardner too, but he seems to have disappeared completely !
CTVillan

Back to top Go down

Post by HH 8166 Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Billy McBingo wrote:For me Albrighton is the key to whatever we are going to try. He is the man in form and has been our best (or least bad?) attacking player for a while now. The issue is with our strikers as I'm not really sure if I can trust any of them to score. I can theoretically see a use for Holt as he would be a useful foil for Albrighton's crosses but that really is taking the most optimistic view of his quality. I'm thinking 4-4-2 with Gabby wide left and Holt and Robinson up front though I'd have my doubts as to whether we'd be able to put together a central midfield two strong enough to pull it off.

HH 8166 wrote:
Ball watching, being static hence leaving little to no options for the man on the ball has been and continues to be our main problem. We don't seem to understand that running off the ball gives options and drags defenders out of position. Our diabolical defending is the other main reason for our woes.. These are basics and we are not good at either hence 16 points from 21 games and the likes of Fulham doing the double over us.

Aye. Our long-standing inability to move off the ball has been bugging me for a long time. It's not even a problem that started with Lambert as even under O'Neill we were poor at it. It's not exactly a difficult thing and is just a matter of coaching. It perplexes me, I have to admit.

Its because MON and Lambert and to a certain degree Eck are cut from the same cloth tactics wise. All like their teams to sit deep,hold position and hit teams on the counter attack when the opponent has committed men forward.
However they hate us to actually run beyond the ball and commit men forward when an opponent is defending as they are frightened we ourselves will get hit on the counter attack.
It explains why we do well v top teams that commit men forward but struggle against vast majority of other teams who have worked out how to play us i.e. sit deep and let us have the ball.
I long for a manager who has different ideas and actually is happy to pass and move and get men forward not only in counter attacking situations.
HH 8166

http://www.fortereliablecare.co.uk www.forteluxurycarhire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:01 pm

What about bringing Lowton back into the team? He makes chances for the strikers when he comes forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomy-Flemba Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Nigel Lowe wrote:What about bringing Lowton back into the team? He makes chances for the strikers when he comes forward.

Our strikers or theirs?  Wink 
Tomy-Flemba
Tomy-Flemba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:08 pm

Very good. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm

I think Lowton is great going forward. Maybe stick Bacuna in midfield and let the two of them cause problems down the right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Let me have a go, when they see me lumbering towards them with madness in my eyes they will keep out of the way...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Farrel_10 wrote:Maybe stick Bacuna in midfield and let the two of them cause problems down the right?

I thought about that. But how to accomodate Bacuna and Albrighton? Put one on the left wing? Play Bacuna centrally?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kill@r33 Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Nigel Lowe wrote:
Farrel_10 wrote:Maybe stick Bacuna in midfield and let the two of them cause problems down the right?

I thought about that. But how to accomodate Bacuna and Albrighton? Put one on the left wing? Play Bacuna centrally?

Always thought Bacuna would be good in a defensive CM role. He's got the tenacity and determination for it. Cant work out why Lambert hasnt really played him there. I think he played as an attacking CM in the game against WBA and got involved pretty well. Scored a goal too.
Kill@r33

Back to top Go down

Post by TJVillan Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Guzan
Bacuna Vlaar Clark Bertrand
Westwood Delph
Albrighton Weimann Agbonlahor
Holt
TJVillan
TJVillan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Holt to get a couple would be great, we will have to see on Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaStarringBrockLesnar Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:19 pm

First post, good forum - lack of self-important assholes- I like it. :)

You guys do know that Benteke has been inured since Norwich away, right? He was blatantly rushed back far to soon. The lack of effort and 'laziness' I have heard other fans speak of are most likely due to a hesitation of wanting to further injure himself, combined with the blatant dislike he has for Lambert. The big man would not be 'lazy' - he comes from a hard-working family and had a World Cup starting place to play for. Not to mention, after Sunday, clubs such as Liverpool would have been sniffing around in the summer had he not gotten injured.

Our squad is most definitely missing strength; the majority of our squad looking like prepubescent boys who have never even looked at a barbell and secretly give Gabby all of their free protein powder. :) In an ideal world, I'd love Brock Lesnar to be our centre-back or central-defensive midfielder! However, we need some strength in the middle of the park to combat Hull and their team of bruisers, as, otherwise, we will be totally dominated in midfield by the likes of Huddlestone. So, although I think he is a SHOCKING passer I'd stick Sylla in there in front of the defence, alongside Delph who could mop up the stray balls from Sylla's tackles and then bomb up midfield on the counter attack. Look at oldboy Sylla, he's fairly big for his height so I would like to believe he can be a battler.

I would stick Clark in CDM (even though I think of him as not a Premier League player at all) however, for this game I would deploy either Baker or Clark at RB, in a similar vein to Ivanovic at Chelsea, and stick the other next to Vlaar; that way we also have more height and strength to combat Huddlestone's set-pieces to Davies, Sagbo, Jelavic and the like.

My preliminary squad:

Guzan
Baker Vlaar Clark Betrand
Sylla Delph
Albrighton Tonev
Agbonlahor
Holt

We need width and penetration through the middle, so, I thought this formation would be best.. I only trust Gabby to run and strike the ball in straight lines, so, I stuck him behind Holt in order for Gabby to blitz through spaces created by Holt as he roughs up Hull's defence.

I believe this to be the best formation/set-up relative to the opposition; especially if we want to get a win.

LET'S DO THIIIIIIIIIISSSSSS!
VillaStarringBrockLesnar
VillaStarringBrockLesnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Bacuna can play he just cannot defend to save his life.

Back to top Go down

Post by JavvieSmalls Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm

This is what I'd go for, a 4-1-3-2 formation. Pass and move; it's the aim of the game, lads:

--------------Guzan
Lowton-Vlaar------Clark-Bertrand
------------Westwood
Albrighton--Tonev-------Delph
-------Helenius---Robinson

Steer, Baker, KEA, Bacuna, Gabby, Weimann, Holt.

If shit isn't working after 55/60 mins, I'd revert to our usual 4-3-3 and bring on Gabby, Weimann and Bacuna; for Tonev, Robinson and Albrighton and hope for a reaction like we got against the Baggies.
JavvieSmalls
JavvieSmalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2