The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Randy Lerner speaks

+12
Queneau
One Little Bit
CTVillan
stevo
villabromsgrove
Trodinho
Trezzy
Cha Ching
Dek of Villa
danclare82
erdingtonb24
Andy_Villa
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Randy Lerner speaks - Page 3 Empty Re: Randy Lerner speaks

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Eastie wrote:
PDC Lion wrote:
Holtender1982 wrote:
Eastie wrote:
PDC Lion wrote:Been out at work for a few hours. Come back and find some of the best posts on a football forum i have ever had the pleasure to read.
What a refreshing change this site is.
Cheers everybody.

Agreed dan, it's like we have transferred from Stockport county to Real Madrid - quality forum and quality people :)
I love you too :)
The correct spelling my friend is two. " I love you two."
Us two love you too, so i have been told. Dancing Banana 

Speak for yourself, I'm a happily married man  bounce 
My Mrs says i am in contact with my female side. WTF does that mean ?
Just because i say i love strange people on a footy forum. Should i say instead " Big Man Hugs" but no tongues ? :shock: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm

PDC Lion wrote:
Eastie wrote:
PDC Lion wrote:
Holtender1982 wrote:
Eastie wrote:
PDC Lion wrote:Been out at work for a few hours. Come back and find some of the best posts on a football forum i have ever had the pleasure to read.
Cheers everybody.

Agreed dan, it's like we have transferred from Stockport county to Real Madrid - quality forum and quality people :)

Just because i say i love strange people on a footy forum. Should i say instead " Big Man Hugs" but no tongues ? :shock: 
When we meet up you will be able to introduce us as the blokes you met on the internet...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Holtender1982 wrote:
PDC Lion wrote:
Eastie wrote:
PDC Lion wrote:
Holtender1982 wrote:
Eastie wrote:
Cheers everybody.

When we meet up you will be able to introduce us as the blokes you met on the internet...
Now, that would be an experience. Ha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 am

Eastie wrote:
Holtender1982 wrote:What we really need is for Learner to turn up to the games and take control of the club.

Could be even worse if that happened  Rolling Eyes 

Was my first thought.

I look at people like Micky Arison and Larry Ellison and realise that Randy Lerner is the nerd that wanted to run with the jocks. He knows nothing of running a football club and used money as a one dimensional solution. It wasn't.

I feel sorry for the bloke. His heart was certainly in the right place and he did right by the fans. The last few years he's struggled and has been found out but it would seem that he has stuck to his word and has realised he can take us no further...so is bowing out.

For play, Randy. Fair play.

It will be interesting to see how much of his investment is recouped from the sale. If he sells Villa for a fortune, will it be like the real estate market where the value of other clubs also go up? If that's the case, might it make it that much harder for other billionaire playboys to buy in?

Again, time will tell.

But I for one will thank Lerner for trying. Thanks for finishing the training ground which have given the club some of the best facilities in the world. Thanks for improvements at the ground. Thanks for putting the name Aston Villa on the American map. Thanks for the excitement of the first three seasons.

Sadly, English Football wasn't his forté.

We go again.
Trotters
Trotters

Randy Lerner speaks - Page 3 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 am

Good comments trots, he has the right intentions but he just couldn't quite crack it and then it all went tits up in the final years of his reign .

Sell to the right buyer and he can leave with his head high .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:55 am

Nice piece in the express-

What with the cost of fuel these days - and Lerner being more hard-up than he used to be - it's probably a better option to catch the United Airlines flight. He needs to be quick though, there's only one seat left.

And Lerner's needed at his club.

Aston Villa's absent landlord should be at the front of the director's box on Saturday, strong, proud, a man in charge, a chairman seen to be backing his manager and defying the season to tip into crisis.

It's hard to know whether Lerner has been to a Villa game this season. Some say he has, but won't say how many times, some say he has been to away games. Most won't say anything at all.

What is certain is that Lerner is supporting the club with his money, upwards of £400million so far having paid £62m for Villa eight years ago. He has covered debts, written off interest, bought more equity.

But it's not enough. What Aston Villa needs is his presence at what has become a critical home game with Southampton.

Generals cannot stay in the fort all the time. They need to come out on the battlefield.

Alex McLeish's time as Aston Villa manager ended just under two years ago this weekend when he lost 2-1 at home to Bolton.

Villa had gone one goal up and lost, something this team regularly does. They were three points away from the relegation zone. This team is four. They had won one game in 13. This one has won two in 10.

Villa Park, not just a few malcontents, turned against McLeish in that game. Saturday could be Lambert's McLeish Moment. The similarities are dangerously close.

It's not enough for Lerner to stay at his billionaire's home in Amagansett, New York, and give his support of Lambert via Villa's PR department following the shock departure of assistant manager Ian Culverhouse and head of football operations Gary Karsa.

"Our manager has been faced with some unexpected issues that could have very easily set the club back," said Lerner.

"In watching him handle matters, along with our chief executive [Paul Faulkner], I've seen total loyalty and commitment to Aston Villa while Gordon [Cowans], a Villa man through and through, has repeatedly stepped up to support the club regardless of the ask.

"Shay [Given], too, has been unhesitating in answering the manager's call. I couldn't ask for more from people who are up for this challenge and the very real obstacles we have to overcome, as is everyone at the club."

But there are endless unanswered questions here.

Villa will use a legal cloak for protection while the club investigation is underway concerning Culverhouse and Karsa.

There are allegations of bullying, poor coaching, a dreadful atmosphere at the club - but these are men Lambert knows well and has worked with at different clubs for years.

They are his men, so how could this develop? And if it did, why was it not stopped much earlier?

There were regular criticisms that the men Lambert brought in did not mix, or even want to know the staff that were already there, that they were aloof. So it is ironic that one of those now promoted is a playing icon and long-serving staff member, Gordon Cowans.

The outcome of all this could be an eruption of feel-good that inspires Villa to victory over Southampton and banishes another poor season to the record books without the spectre of relegation attached to it.

But something has got to change.

There has to be stronger leadership at Villa. Lerner has to be seen to be supporting the club as well as constantly writing the cheques. There is no need for him to be the quiet benefactor.

Lerner has caused the financial problems by over spending initially, when Martin O'Neill was his successful manager, then, realising the club could not generate the income to sustain a place in the Premier League's top six, cutting back.

The result is the current cheaply sourced squad of players that are not good enough and supporters that don't believe in his leadership.

Given is a survivor from that game against Bolton two years ago. He doesn't actually play for Villa anymore because he earns too much money but now he has been promoted from an unwanted player to a coach who can save the club.

If that can happen, anything is possible. Even for Randy Lerner to get on that plane.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:54 am

That is a very strong article. It does repeat some of what posters on here having been saying about the malaise stemming from Randy's non-involvement in the day-to-day goings on at Villa.

It's correct to that there is scrutiny of how Lambert's two chief lieutenants could end up being so unpopular at the club, and how he has credibility after the whole episode.

Back to top Go down

Post by marcxc1983 Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:06 am

Just a thought....Givens wages and the remaining year or so on his contract were just mind boggling in terms of money, maybe this was to rip up that contract and put him on a coaching one that's got better terms for us, can't see a coach being on £60-£80K a week
marcxc1983
marcxc1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:23 am

2014-04-17
marcxc1983 wrote:Just a thought....Givens wages and the remaining year or so on his contract were just mind boggling in terms of money, maybe this was to rip up that contract and put him on a coaching one that's got better terms for us, can't see a coach being on £60-£80K a week

Possible but would he accept such a cut , when he is entitled to the full amount - maybe they are just getting him to do something for his cash rather than nothing ?

Back to top Go down

Post by stevo Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:31 am

marcxc1983 wrote:Just a thought....Givens wages and the remaining year or so on his contract were just mind boggling in terms of money, maybe this was to rip up that contract and put him on a coaching one that's got better terms for us, can't see a coach being on £60-£80K a week

its just a temp job so i doubt any contract is written up, there are suggestions though that he was never in the bomb squad, well i sorta doubt those rumours too but it seems that the bomb squad is explained to everyone in the sense that if ur on crazy wages, u need to find a club and move on or take a wage cut or sit in the reserves.

so the incentive is for players to move on instead of sitting on there a$$. though like we saw with the bomb squad they liked sitting on there a$$ all a little too much, but i doubt that somehow with given. any interview he has given hes always been professional about his stance and where he is in the club. i respect him alot more than the other bomb squad members.

i also doubt that its much of a worry for lambert to work with given as given's job is more so a vocal person in the dressing room. i dont think lambert came into villa and was told u can play these (bomb squad) players, i reckon he was told get them out of the club asap as we cant afford them. so witht hat little incentive of if u love playing football u better find urself a club cause ur never gonna play here again maybe backfired cause everytime u hear of one of these players moving on, theres always a stumbling block with the wages or somethin

stevo
stevo

Randy Lerner speaks - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 am

I disagree Stevo , if he was told to get rid of the high earners on arrival why did he make bent captain, he also played warnock and Ireland quite a bit in his first season and started with shay - I think he just decided they weren't his type of players and wanted them out .

He clearly couldn't get the best out of the high earners and i have it on good authority that he has total control of the football side and there is no interference - it was his decision to follow the young and hungry strategy .

Back to top Go down

Post by marcxc1983 Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 am

Think about it, if they're on already high wages, they're also on high appearance, goal and subs bonuses so if he was told not to play them to cut costs then he cost even more by selecting them in one way or another.
marcxc1983
marcxc1983

Back to top Go down

Post by stevo Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 am

i would say he made bent the captain because he was a bit of a saviour at the time for villa. do i have to explain why ireland and warnock were dropped ? lol. though in saying this, that was the first few months that he was at villa so im sure he was allowed to use all players to keep the ball rolling but ultimitley they were out the door in the future

bent clearly doesnt like competition and it even shows while hes been at fulham and it also showed while he was at villa, though i would say having bent at villa did benteke prolly the world of good in the sense of competition.

wages have been a massive factor while lambert has been at villa, all you have to do is look at the last interview about hutton. young and hungry strategy yep i remember those words but after seeing that in the last window we bought so much quantity compare to quality while this window its been suggested we are gonna buy quality instead of quantiy, to me sounds like this wasnt just a learning curve but was always in place to begin with

stevo
stevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:51 am

@HodgsonHoward: “@KevenSkinnyj: So is going or what Not working Randy

http://twitter.com/KevenSkinnyj/status/456708709972840448/photo/1

Back to top Go down

Post by Elagabalus Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Eastie wrote:
There are allegations of bullying, poor coaching, a dreadful atmosphere at the club - but these are men Lambert knows well and has worked with at different clubs for years.

They are his men, so how could this develop? And if it did, why was it not stopped much earlier?

There were regular criticisms that the men Lambert brought in did not mix, or even want to know the staff that were already there, that they were aloof.

These questions in the Express article are very pertinent. The best interests of Aston Villa have been seriously neglected for far too long.
Elagabalus
Elagabalus

Location : The Lost City: Time was on my side when I was running down the street it was so fine, fine, fine. A suitcase and an old guitar and something new to occupy my mind, mind, mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm sure Randy always wanted us to succeed, it's just not turned out that way. We can thank him for the initial optimism and smart corporate area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3