The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread

+3
Dazzle
deadbuzzardalive
Saunders82
7 posters

Go down

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread Empty Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread

Post by Saunders82 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 pm

I thought I would start the match thread early this week just in case things get a bit hectic closer to the weekend.

This is going to be a real tough test IMO, we have had a tough set of games as we all knew they would be and we have come out of them with a lot of pride and got the points to prove it, if we can get something out of this one we will be making a statement. We have options coming back apparently so I am hoping for another 3 points, we need them after the recent draws we have had, I'm going for 2-1 in a tight but exciting match. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
Saunders82
Saunders82

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread Empty Re: Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 am

I really want for us to beat them, and for their season to fall apart... In the summer during our crisis, they were absolutely revelling in it... On their busiest forum (waccoe.com) they have a thread called 'Villa Financial Meltdown?' which from the end of May to July accumulated seventy odd pages... I don't think even small heath were enjoying it that much.

A number of the posters from that forum, who'd been mocking us, even went so far as to sign up to Villatalk, to try and convince our fans of how doomed we were... Some of them were talking about going on VT and pretending that they had 'ITK' information about a Middle Eastern Billionaire takeover, to try and get our hopes up... Their reaction was funny when a few days later it happened for real...

This, is a link to the thread on 'Waccoe', but you won't see it, because it now requires a sign in, to see.

Unfortunately it won't be easy though, as they've won their last five games, and are in form... I've actually got a feeling it's going to be a draw, which as a standalone result, against the team top of the table wouldn't be that bad, but with everything taken into account, we really need a win, to get back to winning ways at Villa Park, because we need three points, and to stop Leeds pulling further away from us... Biggest game of the season so far.
deadbuzzardalive

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread Empty Re: Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread

Post by Dazzle Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I really want for us to beat them, and for their season to fall apart... In the summer during our crisis, they were absolutely revelling in it... On their busiest forum (waccoe.com) they have a thread called 'Villa Financial Meltdown?' which from the end of May to July accumulated seventy odd pages... I don't think even small heath were enjoying it that much.

A number of the posters from that forum, who'd been mocking us, even went so far as to sign up to Villatalk, to try and convince our fans of how doomed we were... Some of them were talking about going on VT and pretending that they had 'ITK' information about a Middle Eastern Billionaire takeover, to try and get our hopes up... Their reaction was funny when a few days later it happened for real...

This, is a link to the thread on 'Waccoe', but you won't see it, because it now requires a sign in, to see.

Unfortunately it won't be easy though, as they've won their last five games, and are in form... I've actually got a feeling it's going to be a draw, which as a standalone result, against the team top of the table wouldn't be that bad, but with everything taken into account, we really need a win, to get back to winning ways at Villa Park, because we need three points, and to stop Leeds pulling further away from us... Biggest game of the season so far.

The game does have the feeling of being a “pivotal” moment in the season. Leeds have gone from scoring freely at the start of the season to now being able to see out games by the single goal or so in a more measured way. I think we get a bit of a “free hit” with this game because we don’t really have anything to lose, we can afford to try and really ruffle their feathers and knock them out of their stride, put some doubt in their minds. Hopefully Grealish and one or two others are back for this game and our performance goes up a couple of notches from the Stoke game. We might have to be prepared to go over the top of what will be the Leeds press of our back line, energy levels will have to be 100% from the 1st whistle for Leeds. I think a fit Adomah makes a big difference for us, hope he’s back on Sunday. We could really do with a consistently fit squad for a month or two.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 pm

If Leeds win they go fifteen points ahead of us, and then they have two home games coming up against Blackburn, and Hull, so it's important that we stop them pulling away to the extent that they're uncatchable. Also Forest, Middlesbrough, Sheffield United and West Brom all have very winnable games, we need to be careful that a gap doesn't appear between us and top six, never mind top two.

If we hit top form, we're capable of getting a win, in fact, I think we're capable of getting beating them, or anyone else in the division by a big margin... Just need everyone to click at the same time.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm

We could really do with Jack Grealish back for the Leeds game, I’m not sure I’m buying into the story that he won’t be available due to this shin injury.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:31 pm

I’m confident of a win
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:02 pm

Down to eleventh in the table, 15 points off the top of the table, 12 off second place, and 5 points off the play-offs. If tomorrow is not a must win game, then I don't know what is, no excuses we need the three points.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Tuanzebe out, looks like Bree in alongside Chester with Hutton & Elmo as FBs. No Grealish again, Whelan retains place. Not really any other side to put out given the injury list. Injuries couldn’t have come at a worse time. Got to get behind them and inspire them to an outstanding performance. UTV
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Aston Villa

1 Nyland
   27 El Mohamady
   5 Chester
   16 Bree
   21 Hutton
   6 Whelan
   11 Bolasie
   14 Hourihane
   7 McGinn
   26 Kodjia
   18 Abraham

Substitutes

9 Hogan
   17 Davis
   20 Bjarnason
   22 El Ghazi
   31 Bunn
   37 Adomah
   39 Revan
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Dazzle wrote:Tuanzebe out, looks like Bree in alongside Chester with Hutton & Elmo as FBs. No Grealish again, Whelan retains place. Not really any other side to put out given the injury list. Injuries couldn’t have come at a worse time. Got to get behind them and inspire them to an outstanding performance. UTV

Yep thats the only answer GET BEHIND THE BOYS, we have the players they need to show us today, and I'm sure the fans WILL be right behind them, a win will set us up over this tough Christmas period. Scarf Waving

Just had another thought, if we turn it on today and do the business then that will send out a massive message to the teams above us that even with loads of injuries we are a force.
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Good half, Leeds were always going to be tough today and it doesn't help that everyone seems to have elevated them to superstars.

Except in reality, they're not. They've kept possession, they've applied some pressure but who has stood out as being able to make a difference? In comparison, Ambraham, Kodjia, Hourihane, McGinn and even Whelan have had an excellent half.

One more goal and the game is tucked in for the night. McGinn to score.

UTV.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Would you just listen to these piggin pundits, according to how they say it Leeds are all over us, thats not what I'm seeing they are having some of the ball but so are we and were doing more with it and as usual the Ref is letting them get away with things. We need to be on our toes at the start of the second half and then push on for the win DON'T let them get an early goal.Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 1015550615 Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 1015550615
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Elmo culpable for 2 of Leeds goals. Shows an all right footed player onto his right foot for the 1st, and nods an innocuous cross into the centre of the goal for the winner. Top 2 is gone with that 2nd half no show.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Fuck me Nyland and Elmohamady what a pair of utterly shit footballers.

Alioski is an absolute disgrace of a sugarbag as well.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Dazzle wrote:Elmo culpable for 2 of Leeds goals. Shows an all right footed player onto his right foot for the 1st, and nods an innocuous cross into the centre of the goal for the winner. Top 2 is gone with that 2nd half no show.

Yep that second half was right out of the Steve Bruce play book, I know we are light at the back but they should have some idea on how to defend, they put kids in at the back and looked so much better, Jansson was dead on his feet and we didnt pressure him, Jeezz we are masters at that style of play. Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 1401410211 Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 1401410211 Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 1401410211 Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 1401410211 Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 1401410211
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:38 pm

That's one win in five, we desperately needed a win today, yet still managed to throw away a two goal lead, and throw the game away. Automatic promotion is gone now, but to be honest I was starting to question whether we were good enough anyway, we seem to be constantly making excuses about difficult fixtures whilst other teams get on with it and keep getting results... To be honest play-offs are looking a long shot as well, and the feel good factor we had after Smith's first five games feels like a long time ago now, maybe we believed some of the hype a bit too much, about how good we'd suddenly become.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Elphick has to be recalled come January, no matter what we bring in. That was a naive 2nd half performance, we got it wrong. Not sure why Leeds seemed so much fitter and could run for the entire game and we looked fucked. Abraham had a good game and that was about it. We cannot and must not use excuses, Leeds must have had at least 3 players that looked like schoolboys filling in and making a difference for them. We had old players that got found out in Whelan, Hutton, & Elmo. We got outworked, eventually out thought, and on the whole out played. Not good enough. We’re in a dog fight for the playoffs now and need to improve the squad and improve the performance. Leeds have just shown us up.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:10 pm

We have the attacking players, we don't have the defensive ones. I was thinking with Taylor at LB, Hutton at RB, Tuanzebe on the right and Chester on the left we had an acceptable defence to take us to January. Losing Jack has really screwed us over, but we have a really good attack (when they can be bothered, I thought Bolasie was poor today) and can compensate. I really don't like what Whelan's tired old legs do to us, not having any backup for CB or LB at this level is ridiculous, not even - so it would seem - in the academy. Moving our RB to cover the missing LB, bringing in the RB no one wants to play to cover CB and then sticking the left winger at RB is crazy. This is our problem, nothing else. This is what's scuppered us. It doesn't matter how many goals Tammy, Kodjia, Adomah - anyone - scores if our defence is going to be that bad. Hutton was pulled out of shape on the right with what looked like very little support from Bolasie and what Elmo was up to today is anyone's guess.

I thought the goalie did well but frankly any goalie is going to struggle behind the kind of defence we had today against an in-form team.

I do still put a lot of blame at Bruce's door and combined with some key injuries scuppering us I'm not surprised we're struggling. If the owners are serious about a promotion push they need to decide if Whelan and Bjarnason are good enough in front of the defence (IMHO the former, no, the latter, yes) and if we should just throw everything at it and go for a new CB and some LB cover. RB is ok with Hutton and cover from Tuanzebe and Bree but LB is a worry and with Elphick back from loan and a proper left-sided CB so Chester can move back to the right we could have the defence we need.

It does worry me though that we don't appear to have any defensive cover in the U23s.

Incidentally the high line didn't seem to work. Nyeland's kicks seemed to always go back to the opposition, it was much like watching Bruce's tactic. They knew to pressure Nyeland and did so at their leisure, with our players unwilling to hoof the ball themselves but passing back to the goalie to do it for them, and putting him under unnecessary pressure.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:03 pm

I personally think we need someone better than both Elmohamady and Hutton for right-back, we need to get away from this idea of players being 'good enough to do a job', we should be aiming higher than that if we want to get promoted... I'm not sure De Laet would be much better either, but I think I'd rather see him and Bree as the first choice two, Mitch Clark has been getting good reviews at Port Vale as well.

Same with the defensive midfield spot, I think we need someone better than Bjarnason, Whelan or Hourihane to play there, espeically with the way Smith likes to play, we need someone in that area who can help control the game, he had Woods at Brentford, I don't think we can get him, but we could do with someone similar.

All in all, with Tuanzebe looking like a long term absentee, I think we need to sign a defender, and recall Elphick as cover, we also need a left-back, and if we can do more, then we also need a right-back and a central midfielder.

Also if we have an option, then it might be worth considering calling back Gary Gardner, as the way they're going, they're actually looking a threat to us, and he's been one of their better players, if we have a way of weakening them, then we might as well do it.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:00 am

Although we obviously shouldn’t of lost the game being 2-0 at half time, I have to admit, Leeds were the better team.
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:34 am

What that game showed me;

Dean Smith has absolutely no faith in the U23's, which highlights why the whole youth setup needs revamping.

Our wide players offer no (Bolasie) or very little support (Kodjia/El-Ghazi) defensively, hence why we are even worse defensively.

I am beginning to think that Bolasie is just here for his holidays, as he put in about 10 minutes of effort in yesterday!

We miss Adomah, he provides both offense and defense which is critical in how DS wants to play.

Surprisingly we miss Taylor or any left footed LB (our back-up LB is on loan, thanks Bruce) as Hutton is really struggling on his wrong side.

It is what it is especially till January, so it could easily get worse before it gets better
achilles
achilles

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Not Bolasie's best game sure, but piss a shit out...here for his holidays?!
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:44 am

VTID85 wrote:Not Bolasie's best game sure, but piss a shit out...here for his holidays?!

He is rated at £25 million at least, always played at the top level (PL), now playing in a lower league (championship), getting £80,000 (apparently) a week, so YES I expect better especially attitude wise!

Personally I think he should get at least 20 goals in this league but at the moment he shows no impression that he will get anywhere near that, in total contrast to Tammy Abraham who works his socks off!
achilles
achilles

Villa v Leeds Villa Park 23.12.18 Match Thread 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down