The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Dean Smith Aston Villa manager

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Dean Smith Aston Villa manager

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 pm

There's a lot of optimism flying around at the moment based on the new people coming in, but I feel like I've been here before, going right back to Lambert's appointment, which was meant to hereald the arrival of a new 'young and hungry' philosophy, then Tom Fox who was meant to be some savy businessman with amazing commercial links in order to get around FFP, then the summer when we signed all those French based players, which was meant to be the start of us doing things the right way, and not relying on over priced Uk players, then the Xia takeover and all the promises that came with that, spending more than any other Championship as ever done, Wyness coming in as an experienced CEO, then Bringing in Bruce, a manager who'd won promotion four times... Feels like we're in this endless cycle of getting our hopes based on new people coming into the club, but are always ultimately left disappointed.

I guess the good news is that none of the above decisions were made by the current regime, so hopefully they fare better, and these new arrivals really are the dawn of a new beginning this time.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Every new manager comes with a degree of risk but it does feel as tho we've had more than our fair share of false dawns but sometimes that's been due to ownership problems adding to the chance of things not working out (personally, I would like to have seen Remi Garde given time & money). At least this time round we can be confident in the owners having both the wealth & experience to provide proper support to the club.
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:49 pm

If nothing else the players will be coached and organised.
At last we may see a TEAM on the pitch instead of a bunch of gifted individuals!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:57 am

Personally i think Smith - right at this point in time - is exactly what we need and that Villa could not have made a better appointment. I believe he is the right tool for the right job - to get us out of the championship asap.

How he does from then on will depend on his own growth, relationship with players, results and wider respect in the game that will encourage big name players to join (although I would argue having a couple of billionaires owning us will sort those coin operated fuckers we call professional footballers).

Of course we've all been optimistic plenty of times before, only to see false dawns, hut maybe that's just the tortuous path any club has to undergo in order to recover from the years of shambles that form our recent history.

If you look at the likes of Wolves, Leeds, Southampton, and probably current basket cases Sunderland, it seems like we're not alone in searching for that elusive solution to a perennial challenge - stability and success.

Cabbages aside, I think we are well along that road and due some success and I dearly hope Dean is the man to achieve that.

John Terry saw the last stage of a glittering career  at Villa, and who would have thought that such a mutual love-in would have resulted between him and the fans - born out of the fact he wasn't just taking the final pay out, but being the professional he was meant he approached every game for Villa with the same will to win as in his pomp at Chelsea.

I hope the first stage of his new coaching career starts at Villa in the same manner as the last stage of his playing career (play off despair aside) finished here and given the nature of the guy I have no reason to doubt that it will be anything other than a success.

Cautious optimism? Yes.

Reasons to be cheerful? Hell yes!!!
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by holtehero on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 am

holtehero

Back to top Go down

Post by holtehero on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am

holtehero

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Watched the presser yesterday but hadn't seen the interview  cheers @holtehero

The more I see of Dean Smith the more I think he's a top bloke personally and professionally.

I cannot wait until saturday (although I don't think I've ever been in the upper trinity before!).
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:20 pm

This is what JT brings to the table, can't but be impressed:

achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:49 pm

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Official: The Swansea match is a sell-out including the Upper Trinity Road stand. Let's hope that the 40,000 attending are given good reason to want to come back again and again.
Just shows the good will invested in a new Coach who promises attractive football. He has hardly had any time with the squad but it will be interesting to see if there is a "bounce" despite that.

big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm

I've been trying to work out how to get to B6 all week. The wife doesn't want to spend a day in Birmingham, either visiting the relatives or in the city, and with a two-month-old baby and three-year-old I don't really blame her. Unfortunately she kicked up a huge stink about me going up for the day. I'm going to have to bide my time and listen on the website.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by STO67 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:42 pm

I hope the Villa fans shout and chant all the way through the game and make this a 'thing' going forwards. Scare the living shit out of Swansea.
STO67

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:02 am

I am soooo jealous - I wish I was going.@De Kuip can you cheer the boys on for me please? Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
WendyOz

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:30 pm

@WendyOz wrote:I am soooo jealous - I wish I was going.@De Kuip can you cheer the boys on for me please? Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving

@WendyOz Will do - fully expect to have no voice for sunday/monday - the wife will be sooo pleased!
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:35 am

Wish I could get there too for the first time since the JG era we have a decent a manager. No more Bruceball!!!

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 am

We have got 3 games in six days, so it is going to be really difficult for Dean and the coaches to implement much, it is all hands to the pump time and hope we get the manager bounce thing going to good effect!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:47 am

We deserve a 'New Manager Bounce'!!!!

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Deano makes me quietly confident. He's not a big name, he doesn't brag, he doesn't come with promotions or whatever to live up to, he's never managed the sty, he's not Scottish* and the expectation doesn't seem to be that we're going to smash the league and win the Champions League next year. It feels like we're about to see attractive football and our players showing what they can do while being played to their strengths.

*I jest (see McLeish, Lambert and Moyes, shudder...)
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 pm

I hoping to start seeing good football & ultimately good winning football.
That’s until Swansea score first Saturday, the honeymoon will be over
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:57 am

@VillaBill wrote:I hoping to start seeing good football & ultimately good winning football.
That’s until Swansea score first Saturday, the honeymoon will be over

Well if Villa do lose it might knock the atmosphere on the head for that game, but I would guess nobody but the most deluded villa fan (and you do seem to see a lot of those prats on twitter) expects some switch-flick to Brentford style overnight.

I think this will take some time and there will be plenty of setbacks along the way. Not only is the team unbalanced, but for those players we do have, its no guarantee they are suited to the smith style.

I think patience and support in bucketloads will be needed and we may well not go up this season.

Even if that's the case, and even if it doesnt work out with smith in charge, it's the first time in I don't know how long we've appointed a manager that I'm genuinely excited about -  and a big contributor to that is the whole regime that's now in place at the club, from owners to coaching staff.

To be fair I was pleased about Lambert when he first came, but nowhere near as much as currently.

I never wanted Bruce as I thought it would just be more dour dross (my posts from the time reflect that).

So would Swansea scoring first knock the atmosphere? Probably.

Will we have setbacks on our coming journey? Almost certainly.

Do I think we will achieve the success we all so badly crave, over the next few seasons? Definitely!

UTV
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:41 am

The biggest issue is our defence and for me whether Smith would prefer to have his fullbacks getting forward or if he's happy to let the defence concentrate on becoming a defensive unit (with the goalie!) while our immensely talented crop of outfield players gets on with the job of attacking. I wonder then if we'll see any compromises, or will be hobbled slightly. I also wonder if we'll start to see Jack back doing his thing collecting the ball from the defence and taking it down the middle of the pitch.

I have to say I haven't been this excited in a long time. Sure, Xia taking over was great but in terms of managers...
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:05 am

For me it is the whole setup, not just Dean Smith, it actually looks as though some thought has been put into how we want to progress! We can now start implementing that structure and yes, nothing ever goes to plan so upsets are going to occur but the long term aim doesn't vary.

It is just so brilliant to be able to go down Villa Park again with a positive attitude and not in the expectation of hoping we can sneak a 1 - 0 win!

achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Something else I noticed as well today.

Bruce was lauded as this great host to the press, and his availability was something they banged on about ad nauseum.

I was listening to talksport in the car this morning (Don't normally listen to it as I detest adverts), anyway the show host - I think it was Jim White with Perry Groves, was wetting himself because in the absence of a presser today, Dean smith was doing a phone interview literally as he was walking out to the training pitches at BMH.

White couldn't stop going in about how good it was of Dean to do that.

Whether we like it or not, keeping the press onside is good for the club and if he wasn't before, I have a real feeling that Jim White is now a fan of Smith.

It was actually a good discussion afterwards in the studio about Villa being a giant of a club and ought to be top six prem, not languishing mid table in the championship.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:38 am

Well we won n1-0 and Brentford lost 1-0?

Smith is obviously going to need time with these players and please remember that some only came back from international duty 2 days before. Therefore some would have been knackered and others not worked with the team?

One game at a time!

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 am

I just saw these on 'Birmingham Live' and it occurred to me we never heard from Bruce about training, and Smith's saying stuff we've all been saying for ages.

“Jack probably saw me coming and thought 'Brentford are a total footballing team' yet all the work last week has been without the ball!”

“I like the fact he was looking at getting into the penalty box on Saturday which is something I think he can improve upon."

“He doesn’t have the goals and assists someone of his talent should and that is for me and the coaching staff to help him work on."

“They’ve showed me that they are certainly coachable and take things on board quite well.”

I'm willing to be that Deano doesn't once blame the players for not doing what he wanted them to do.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum