The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Yeovil Town v Aston Villa (Carabao cup)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Yeovil Town v Aston Villa (Carabao cup)

Post by De Kuip on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 am

Tonight sees Villa travel down to Yeovil in what looks likely to be a run out for a few of the more marginal playing staff.
Rushian Hepburn- Murphy and Jake Doyle-Hayes are expected to feature as they were absent from the U23s 2-0 victory over Norwich at Walsall last night.
Also likely to feature in some part are Corey Blackett-Taylor and Harry McKirdy as they too were absent from last night's team sheet.
Whether we will see Moreira between the sticks or Bruce wishing to max out Nyland's game time remains to be seen.
Even with a second string team, we should expect to win comfortably, so I'm going for 3 nil to villa.
I think that the game is on sky tonight 19.45 kick-off.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Re: Yeovil Town v Aston Villa (Carabao cup)

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 am

Not far from you, are you going? I thought about it and the return journey on the A30 late at night will be a great drive but I'll be asleep by about 9:30 so I'll watch it on TV!
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Wanted to but couldnt get tickets.
Yep, driving anywhere in this country is awful late at night cos of so many roads and junctions shut for routine repairs.
I travelled back from norwich away on tuesday a couple of seasons ago and due to all the closures i saw farm tracks and c roads in Leicestershire i had no desire to then or ever again.
Definitely going to go to more home matches this year though especially if we get a couple more good loans in!

Back to this match - Yeovil are struggling with 4 or 5 key injuries and have had a poor start to the season so if our B team cant beat them comfortably there is something badly wrong......
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:16 pm

By the way where are you based then - south west as well?
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Really not bothered either way about this competition. Just a way for Bruce to get some game time into players legs and a chance for one or two to impress i guess.

The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:35 pm

@De Kuip wrote:By the way where are you based then - south west as well?

Winchester. The A30 from Sherborne back here is a brilliant road and usually deserted from 10pm. I once left Sherborne at 11pm in a rather fast car and only had to overtake one car the whole way back.

With baby number 2 here and no spare time or money it's going to be even harder getting up to B6 but I should make an effort and book a couple of matches far enough in advance the wife can't complain (well, she will). Ironically we're off to her parents in Romford this weekend (why is that ok but Birmingham not?) and I'm going to the Wet Spam match with the father-in-law (free ticket and free beer!), it's quite nice going to matches where you don't care who wins but it's not the same. I'll get to some away matches this year but it's a bummer Southampton, Fulham, Bournemouth and Portsmouth aren't in the same league as us. Still, I shouldn't complain, I'd rather be a Villa fan.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:39 pm

@The Utterer wrote:Really not bothered either way about this competition. Just a way for Bruce to get some game time into players legs and a chance for one or two to impress i guess.

I hope we get to see some academy players plus the likes of Lansbury playing and they win a match or two. If they do well they should be left to continue but the big boys always end up playing, we lose and no one cares. O'Hare must be kicking himself over the new owners, had they not arrived I'm sure he'd be in the first team in Grealish's place and now he's knocked back into the academy. Hopefully he plays tonight and gives whoever ends up replacing Bruce something to think about.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:02 pm

O'Hare is injured - still on the way back I think.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Oh, what a shame.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Hoping to get a good look at De Laet in a competitive match tonight. Other than Jack Grealish, thought he looked the best performing player in pre-season. He sould be right back or right sided wing back, depending on Bruce's tactics, unless he decides to play him out of position (which is always a possibility). Anyway, he could be like a new signing for us.

big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Not feeling the love for the new 3rd kit we will be wearing tonight, but then i dont really like purple.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LukeRoper/status/1029415854381916165/photo/1
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 pm

achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Half time. Worst kind of Bruceball. Being embarrassed all over the pitch. I want Bielsaball!

big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 pm

I thought we were lucky Saturday, but tonight, very poor
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Not watching anymore, just appalling.

Bruce hasn't a clue what the word football means!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Awful performance but all that matters is the result, no such thing as a bad win.
On the plus side I thought Tuanzebe looked competent at CH, another dodgy GK debut though
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 pm

I thought Tuanzebe looked great, he needs slotting in immediately alongside Chester in the first team. I think he's my MOTM although Green ran him close. De Laet's crosses are something else, aren't they? He has to start at RB and with Hutton at LB we have a pretty good back four. Whelan looked like he was at his level, just.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:46 pm

A lot of people were going nuts over the keeper but many appear to have short memories. When Johnstone arrived he made terrible errors against Wolves, Forest, Brentford etc and didn't really settle down until the end of his first season with us imo. Then he carried that form on and never looked back. Hopefully one of these new lads will do the same.

Good to see Jimmy get an assist and I'm hoping this will boost his confidence ahead of Saturday. Tuenzebe is also getting rave reviews so he better start alongside Chester now. I'm also wondering what the hell Bruce is gonna do with Hourihane? two assists and one goal in three games!!!...surely he can't be on the bench? Can him, Mcginn and Jack play together? It's gonna be interesting to see.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:25 am

Oh, we won then, another got of jail card used up then!

Three out of three, but bloody hell it makes the eyes bleed!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 am

A truly shockingly poor performance (again). Very lucky to win.
They had what appeared a good goal disallowed... but then we should have had a pen when their player clearly blocked Hourihanes shot with his arm intentionally fully extended above his head although he was on the ground. Just like a keeper diving to save the ball and he knew it... We all know the officials are bottlers however especially at this level.

Other than that i thought we were just weak all over the pitch. Hourihane kept making schoolboy errors and gifting them chances to attack with his abysmal passing and careless play.

RHM was just soooo weak it was ridiculous and his dismal shot when clean through summed up his game. He looked way out of his depth which is quite scary considering it was against a poor Lower league outfit.

Adomah was well... actually was he playing?

Green was ok in patches and had a good effort which brough a routine save from their keeper.

The new keeper was raw and made several mistakes but has something for the future i thought.

I thought defensively we were dodgy and very lucky not to concede... well actually we did but it was wrongly disallowed and also gave up a soft penalty (Elphick poor play again) but the keeper saved our bacon. Tuanezebe looked ok and will get better i felt was one of the bright sparks.

Midfield was shocking tonight sadly i include the youngsters in that.

All round just a really weak perfomance and very lucky result.
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 am

@The Utterer can't disagree mate and whilst this was primarily a second string outing we have all expressed our feelings regarding the first 2 league performances.

For those saying stop moaning it's 3 wins out if 3 I would say we are very lucky regarding who we have played and still have to play in the next few games.

The positives for me are that an easier start gives us time to get loans in, engenders confidence through winning and allows new players to settle in whist not losing.

After last night tuan has to start alongside chester and green also starts. In fact if he wasnt needed due to Albert being worse than useless, Id play him as st and drop Kodjia.

Guess its a nice problem working out how to fit houri/McGinn/Jack in midfield but cant say apart from the goal houri did anything to demand a start.

TBH until - if it happens - we get a winger in I'd play 442 with the 3 midfielders mentioned above and one from whelan/jedi as dm, play green in behind Kodjia.

Hopefully if we get decent loans we can revisit the above which for me is stop gap.

We should never play 352 with SB in charge as it requires playing out from the back, and we're great at that aint we!!??
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 am

Just like last season (and the one before) we play matches with no real plan and when we win (with a very few exceptions where we bossed games) we make it look bloody hard. That match last night (and the one against Hull, and the one against Wigan) could easily have been a loss had luck gone against us.

For me the issue last night (and as always) was Whelan. Some pretty distribution passes but Westwood did that too. When it comes down to it he hinders play rather than speeds it up. Before Jack came on there was no one coming for the ball - Tuanzebe and the goalie (I like the look of him, very promising despite looking a bit too casual) trying to pass it out but everyone far too high up the pitch, leaving Whelan with the ball to knock around backwards and forwards with defence or the occasional other midfielder. Jack comes on and suddenly we have someone linking defence with the rest of the players.

I want to defend Audrey though, he had one shot which he fluffed but the rest of the time was a target man being towered over by two large CBs or given what looked like very little supply. It was as if there was no plan B: hoof won't work because the striker's too short but playing the ball out won't work either because Whelan doesn't know how to do it and no one else seemed able to come back to meet him.

Out of that starting 11 I want to see Green, Adomah, Tuanzebe and De Laet in the starting 11. I'm not sure if there's room for Hourihane if we play Grealish, Bjarnason and McGinn but he gives us some very good options.

Curious to see Lansbury not involved last night.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 am

We all know why sky-BBC have villa on the telly. That is so we can show the nation how we lose !!!!!!!!

I could not believe the ineptitude of the squad last night, we were rubbish and I thank McGrath we managed to get through last night. It was nice to see Bruce was as pissed off as me . I could not believe that we got the rub of the green. There disallowed goal still mystifies me. The only high spot for me was when Grealish came on. How on earth can we play so bad and win the game. Yeovil should have won on performance alone.
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm taking a new outlook on football and that is if a team like Yeovil should have won, they would have won. The disallowed goal is baffling, but they had other opportunities and failed to put it to bed in their favour. We rode our luck, we didn't play well on the whole but a moment of brilliance from Jack, Kodjia and Hourihane sealed the result.

Anyway....
I'd like to see more balls being lashed across the face of the goal like Kodjia did rather than overplaying it. The chance of it ricocheting into danger for the opposition is greatly increased, even better with one of ours making a run at the back post to mop-up or tap-in.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:28 pm

For those interested the draw for the 2nd round of the Carabao  cup is at 7pm tonight.

I think #CarabaoCup on twitter is the live feed.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum