The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa vs Fulham (playoff final) Match Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Aston Villa vs Fulham (playoff final) Match Thread

Post by Con on Sat May 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Vicious deliberate stamp on Grealish and no red card? Unbelievable. We had thee penalty shouts denied, two of them I would have given (on Grealish and Hourihane, not the handball one).

Fulham had one plan, to hack Grealish all game. They nearly ended his career.

That said we had some chances and didn't take them. We were disjointed going forward. The referee may have been on their side which would not have helped our confidence but, other than Grealish, our players didn't do nearly enough to win it.

Since so many of our players are veterans we're going to need a squad revamp over the summer to stay competitive, unless we have young players ready to perform at the same level.

Whatever, we should be looking to win the division next year.

Con

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 am

Well predictably we lost of course, also predictably was that we had zero help from cowardly gutless officials who favored the London club (Suprise suprise) as usual. However it was no suprise either to see us crap up front when it mattered.

Too often this season we have been rubbish in the games which mattered.

As for the future? I now dread it personally as we are now effectively a tin pot club with much wealthier clubs now competing against us. I see no other way forward than to sell some of our better players to try to somehow put a top 2 Championship side together (as the playoffs are clearly only ok if you are favored by the powers that be)

Still the Premier League gets more dour every year with only half a dozen fixtures i would rather see than a lot of Championship sides.

Give me
Leeds, Forest, Derby, the Sheffield clubs and a few local derbies,
over the likes of Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Brighton, Southampton, Fulham, Crystal Palace & Watford any day of the week but of course the financial implications are now ruining this club.

Next season no doubt will see us weaker, Boro, WBA, Derby, Sheff Utd and a few others as our most likely main rivals but i think it's downhill from here now as we missed our chance..

One of the biggest games in our clubs history and they blew it basically.

This season i thought we might challenge and we did sort of (although we were never really convincing when it mattered the Wolves game aside)

Next season i see mid table fodder as we lose some key players and replace them with a few loans, cheap dross or try to blood youngsters.

I can see us losing:
Terry - biggest influence in the dressing room & a quality leader..irreplaceable
Grealish - To escape FFP
Hogan - as he's crap
Johnson - to some Prem club
Hutton - Not able to afford
Snodgrass - end of loan no funds to buy
Grabban - End of loan no funds to buy
Onomah - End of loan no funds to buy

That will weaken us straight away as that is over half of our strongest 11

Then we'll probably try to shed a few

Gabby - will just lighten wage bill but won't be replaced
Then you have

Lansbury - Crap may get small fee
McCormack - Crap may get small fee (if he'll go)
Samba - End of deal no fee

So we could see a real shadow of this seasons team

New GK?
Tuanzebe (Loan may be renewed)
Chester
New Cb
Taylor
Bree
Jedinak
Elmohamady
Whelan
Kodija
Adomah
Hepburn-Murphy
New Striker?
Hourihane
Bjarnasson
Davis

That's a squad of 16 but (barring a few really good signings) not promotion material in my view
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 am

Gollini, Elphick, De Leat, Tshibola, Gardner, and Gil (was meant to be permanent, but Deportivo's relegation means they're no longer obliged to buy him),  are all names that can be added to the squad list as they all return from their loans this summer.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Mon May 28, 2018 9:47 am

[quote="deadbuzzardalive"]Gollini, Elphick, De Leat, Tshibola, Gardner, and Gil (was meant to be permanent, but Deportivo's relegation means they're no longer obliged to buy him),  are all names that can be added to the squad list as they all return from their loans this summer.[/quote

Sadly all not promotion push material in my eyes but maybe we can raise funds from some of them? Problem is finding clubs willing to pay money for bang average players. Can't say i would want any of them near the first team if a promotion push is the genuine aim.
Gollini - Crap
De Leat - average
Tshibola - attitude issues
Gardner - average
Gil - Doesn't want to be here and average
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Mon May 28, 2018 10:31 am

@The Utterer wrote:I can see us losing:
Terry - biggest influence in the dressing room & a quality leader..irreplaceable
Grealish - To escape FFP
Hogan - as he's crap
Johnson - to some Prem club
Hutton - Not able to afford
Snodgrass - end of loan no funds to buy
Grabban - End of loan no funds to buy
Onomah - End of loan no funds to buy

That will weaken us straight away as that is over half of our strongest 11

Terry - good. He failed at what he was supposed to do and is too old and slow.
Grealish - I'm not so sure, we'll wait and see.
Hogan - not crap, just not good at receiving hoofball and chasing after scraps. One of many players we've brought in from doing well at other teams and then not played to their strengths.
Johnstone - I agree with this one. A good player I wish we could keep.
Hutton - time to move on.
Snodgrass - end of loan but he seems to want to stay and definitely doesn't want to go back to West Ham. We'll have to watch this one with interest.
Grabban - end of loan but worth trying to renew. Proven goal scorer in this league (if played properly).
Onomah - never mind. I thought he tried and looked good in the final but he was never really one thing or another.

That leaves us hoping Grealish will stay, which I think depends on us acting quickly with a new and good enough manager. Bruce apparently said he was planning for next season and wanted to persuade Terry to stay so if we can spunk all that money on his wage maybe we have the money to keep Grealish. If we can keep Snodgrass and Grabban on loan we'll be doing well.

The squad doesn't really bother me at the moment, it's the manager we need to worry about. Fulham and Cardiff were promoted without teams full of internationals or proven Premier League players. Sessegnon score 15 goals from 46 matches, our own Albert Adomah scored 14 from 39. If we can keep him, Kodjia and Grealish we have the best left midfield and point man in the division. And yes, I think Kodjia is that good. We have a lot of ok and good players to get rid of but we'll have a lot of good and very good players left, plus U23 players (Green, O'Hare, Davis, Audrey, Blackett-Taylor etc) to bring in even before we look at new loans.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm

My two pence worth; if we are up against it financially then Terry at £60k has to go. We’re obviously going to have the recently relegated clubs trying to prise the like of Grealish and Kodjia away as they have been our best performers over the last couple of seasons, it’s in their interest to try and weaken us unfortunately. It’s key to retain Kodjia and Grealish. Hutton? His displays have been good but it all comes down to salary, will he do a year at, say, £15-20k with a bonus for promotion built into a contract? I’d hope so as Hutton has earned that. We have to hold our nerve somehow, Fulham did it in year 3 and we have to. Tuanzebe on a season loan would be perfect. I’m afraid I think we’ll have to say goodbye to snodgrass, probably Grabban too. We’ll have to wait a few weeks to see what the financial reality is for us. Let’s just be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum