The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

SOME STATS TO PONDER

+3
smetro
FoxyAV
AstonThriller
7 posters

Go down

SOME STATS TO PONDER Empty SOME STATS TO PONDER

Post by AstonThriller Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 pm

1. We've kept seven clean sheets In the last ten games.

2. We've only conceded from open play In two of the last ten games

3. We've kept thirteen clean sheets In the last twenty-four games

4. In the last fourteen fixtures, we've played Wolves, Cardiff, Derby and Boro twice. So five games against top-six opposition and we've not lost a single one. Winning three and drawing two.

5.In Fulham's last fourteen games the only top six side they have played have been Derby three times. They've won two and lost one

6. Terry, Grealish, Elmo, Snodgrass, Jedinak, Grabban, Adomah, Hutton and Hourihane have all played at Wemberly In some capacity. All but Terry and Grealish played in a playoff final there.

7. Not a SINGLE PLAYER In the current Fulham line-up HAS PLAYED at Wemberly or in a playoff final before. In the current squad, the only guy I could find with Wemberly and playoff final experience was Kalas and he's been on the bench since Odoi started playing centre-back.

8. Against QPR Fulham conceded from a cross in the box which was knocked down and put in, against Derby they conceded from a cross in the box, against Blues they conceded two goals from crosses in the box, against Brentford they conceded from a cross in the box which was knocked down and put in, against Preston they conceded from a cross in the box, against Derby in their last league game they conceded a goal via a cross and a knockdown etc etc. And this is all since February.  

9. Bruce has been to two playoff finals, Jokanovic has not been to any

10. The last three times Fulham have had big games away from home In the last two seasons (Reading away playoffs, Blues away last day of the season and Derby away recently) they've lost all three.

Individual player stats

FULHAM

Cairney= four goals and five assists
Mcdonald= three goals and one assist
Johansen= eight goals and eight assists
Sessgnon= sixteen goals and seven assists
Mitrovic= eleven goals and one assist
Fredericks= no goals and seven assists
Piazon= six goals and four assists

VILLA

Grabban= twenty goals and one assist
Adomah= fifteen goals and six assists
Hourihane= eleven goals and two assists
Snodgrass= seven goals and fifteen assists
Grealish= three goals and six assists
Hogan= nine goals and two assists
Jedinak= two goals and no assists
Elmo= no goals and five assists
Thor= four goals and three assists

The combined goals and assists In each team's current starting eleven.

Villa= 54 goals, 35 assists

Fulham= 42 goals, 29 assists

Conclusion

When I looked at the way Fulham have been conceding goals of late, I must say their weakness against crosses into their box is so glaring it's unbelievable. And those stats don't tell the full story, because In the same highlights I watched where they conceded to crosses, the opposition could have scored many more from crosses as well because they had a lot of other chances. Hell, even In a game where Fulham won 3-0 at Millwall, Millwall had at least three big chances via crosses and didn't take them. Their defense is relatively small In height which is why they are so vulnerable. Terry scored against them via a cross as well so we have experience of exploiting that weakness already. I'd honestly consider starting Kodjia due to the height advantage he'd have over their defenders In the box. I also think Odoi is very weak one on one and Koj would murder him In that department (just look at Che Adams's goal against Fulham for evidence).

We also appear to have more weapons In our first eleven where goals and assists are concerned. Yes, Sessegnon, Mirtovic and Johansen may be a handful to deal with. But they are gonna have to deal with Adomah, Snoddy, Grealish, Hourihane and Grabban too, so something will have to give. Defensively though I believe we have a major advantage. We've been keeping a lot of clean sheets and our defense have faced Wolves, Cardiff, Derby and Boro over the last few months. And we haven't lost. Whereas the best side Fulham have faced were Derby. Being battled hardened against tougher opposition should do us well.

And finally the gap In experience when it comes to playing in playoff finals and at Wembery is MASSIVE!!!..they don't have a single player in their side who has played at Wemberly or in a game of this magnitude. We have NINE players In the starting line-up who have played at Wemberly and seven of them have played In a playoff final. Surely that has to count for something?

COME ON VILLA!!!  Scarf Waving
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

SOME STATS TO PONDER 5_star11

Back to top Go down

SOME STATS TO PONDER Empty Re: SOME STATS TO PONDER

Post by FoxyAV Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Kodjia has to start. If the only ball the goalie or defence (apart from Hutton, who'll bring it out) can play is hoof down to the striker then Grabban is not our man. If we want to break the habit of Bruce's lifetime and let Grealish bring the ball out and help Adomah and Snodgrass do their thing then sure, Grabban is more than fine. Kodjia looks ready though, can play perfectly well as a target man and crucially (just like Benteke) can bring down the ball and keep possession. It's not Grabban's game, much like it isn't Hogan's either.

One stat I'd like to see is how many times in the two Boro legs a long ball from defence or goalie to Grabban remained in our possession. I'd say maybe one in 20, and that seemed to be from the opposition defence making a mistake and not Grabban being able to keep hold of it. Our possession in the second half of the second leg was much better but only when the ball was played out of defence, or more likely when our midfield tackled someone or picked up a rebound or loose ball.

It's painful watching us hoof the ball to the opposition to have another go at us. We just invite pressure and I suspect Fulham would have thrashed us yesterday were they the ones presented with the ball back every time we got hold of it.

That's the one thing I wish would change before the final. It won't, and it may well lose us the match. Bringing the ball out using our wingers' and Grealish's pace and passing accuracy is going to be the difference. There's little point knowing Fulham's weakness is balls crossed into the box when our wingers are relying on deflections/chance to get the ball in the first place (plus they're playing on the wrong feet and need to either cut in or come backwards to make decent crosses on their correct feet!).
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

SOME STATS TO PONDER 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am

FoxyAV wrote:Kodjia has to start. If the only ball the goalie or defence (apart from Hutton, who'll bring it out) can play is hoof down to the striker then Grabban is not our man. If we want to break the habit of Bruce's lifetime and let Grealish bring the ball out and help Adomah and Snodgrass do their thing then sure, Grabban is more than fine. Kodjia looks ready though, can play perfectly well as a target man and crucially (just like Benteke) can bring down the ball and keep possession. It's not Grabban's game, much like it isn't Hogan's either.

One stat I'd like to see is how many times in the two Boro legs a long ball from defence or goalie to Grabban remained in our possession. I'd say maybe one in 20, and that seemed to be from the opposition defence making a mistake and not Grabban being able to keep hold of it. Our possession in the second half of the second leg was much better but only when the ball was played out of defence, or more likely when our midfield tackled someone or picked up a rebound or loose ball.

It's painful watching us hoof the ball to the opposition to have another go at us. We just invite pressure and I suspect Fulham would have thrashed us yesterday were they the ones presented with the ball back every time we got hold of it.  

That's the one thing I wish would change before the final. It won't, and it may well lose us the match. Bringing the ball out using our wingers' and Grealish's pace and passing accuracy is going to be the difference. There's little point knowing Fulham's weakness is balls crossed into the box when our wingers are relying on deflections/chance to get the ball in the first place (plus they're playing on the wrong feet and need to either cut in or come backwards to make decent crosses on their correct feet!).

We are where we are though. Whatever you think of Brucies style - it is that what has got us this point - we are pretty tough to beat - yes we aren't spectacular - and we squander possession so easily - and it seems to have got worse in the few weeks. But 10 days before the final.

Personally I think Kjodia has looked poor since his return - However the form of Adomah has nosedived - which is a concern. I still think Adomah will start though
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 am

smetro wrote:

We are where we are though. Whatever you think of Brucies style - it is that what has got us this point - we are pretty tough to beat - yes we aren't spectacular - and we squander possession so  easily - and it seems to have got worse in the few weeks. But 10 days before the final.

Personally I think Kjodia has looked poor since his return - However the form of Adomah has nosedived  - which is a concern.  I still think Adomah will start though

Well I disagree with your last few points. I thought Adomah was actually very good In the last game against Boro. Tracked back and protected Hutton very well, and going forward he was a consistent outlet on the break and created that big chance for Grabban. I also thought Kodjia held the ball up really well when he came on and looked dangerous as well. Is he in the same form he was In earlier In the season? No, but In the biggest games we've had against Wolves, Blues, Fulham, Boro away in the league etc he's turned up and got himself a goal or an assist. And with the way Fulham's full-backs like to get forward, I think Albert is going to get a LOT of space to do his thing, especially on the break.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

SOME STATS TO PONDER 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 pm

Here's another stat - 23 games unbeaten ! Although with that said they did choke against the noses when it mattered.
bruka

SOME STATS TO PONDER 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 pm

It's a one off game, stats mean nothing, we have been underdogs to better teams than Fulham and we have won so come on boys lets sort these cockney bastards out.

Thanks for the stats guys it's a very interesting read and I never meant to be derogative to your texts I bet it took time and the stats are interesting
Boldfinger

SOME STATS TO PONDER 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Fri May 18, 2018 9:34 am

smetro wrote:
FoxyAV wrote:Kodjia has to start. If the only ball the goalie or defence (apart from Hutton, who'll bring it out) can play is hoof down to the striker then Grabban is not our man. If we want to break the habit of Bruce's lifetime and let Grealish bring the ball out and help Adomah and Snodgrass do their thing then sure, Grabban is more than fine. Kodjia looks ready though, can play perfectly well as a target man and crucially (just like Benteke) can bring down the ball and keep possession. It's not Grabban's game, much like it isn't Hogan's either.

We are where we are though. Whatever you think of Brucies style - it is that what has got us this point - we are pretty tough to beat - yes we aren't spectacular - and we squander possession so  easily - and it seems to have got worse in the few weeks. But 10 days before the final.

Personally I think Kjodia has looked poor since his return - However the form of Adomah has nosedived  - which is a concern.  I still think Adomah will start though

Sure, I don't like Bruce's style but read again what I said. Grabban (like Hogan) can't deal with long balls. If Bruce is going to insist on goalie and defence punting the ball long to the lone striker we need that to be Kodjia who can deal with those balls, can produce some magic or can hold up everything for support to arrive. If we're going to play Grabban we need the ball to come forward through Grealish or the wings.

We are where we are by having some bloody good players. Hourihane has given us 10 goals mostly from rebounds - he's a poacher operating on the edge of the box, something we haven't had for a while. He doesn't do what Grealish does and seems anonymous sometimes but his goals have been as important as Adomah's. I too thought Adomah was great against Boro, he helped massively in keeping Hutton quiet while also being 50% (with Grealish) of our counter-attack force.

Incidentally I wanted Thor to start in the semis because he mobilises the midfield so well but Jedi has been superb and is definitely my MOTM over the last two matches. I'm struggling though to think of anyone over the two matches who didn't pull their weight, we played as a team both matches. Sure, Grabban didn't get much to play with but he did his job. If we can take this all forward into the final we could well have a very good day.

I still want to see Kodjia start.

FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sat May 19, 2018 10:21 am

bruka wrote:Here's another stat - 23 games unbeaten ! Although with that said they did choke against the noses when it mattered.

Yep good stat but lets hope that run has ended. COYL SOME STATS TO PONDER 1520050566
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 am

To me 1 off games especially final's any one has a chance, it's like a derby whoever settles the quickest and doesn't let the occasion get to them wins.
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down