The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

2018 World cup thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2018 World cup thread

Post by De Kuip on Tue May 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Given that TBAR doesnt have lots of different topics ticker-taping down the screen like some of the really big forums with hundreds of members, I thought we could scrub the various different parts of the site and just have all topics in one section.

So if it's Villa related, non Villa related but football, or nothing to do with football at all, I'm suggesting we just stick all topics in the Villa Chat section, to save navigating around.

So, that out of the way, I guess the first big news is that Southgate isn't taking Hart. A good decision in my book as he's a liability.

The full squad is announced tomorrow.

Thought for those still checking into TBAR over the off season, this could be the place to discuss the success or otherwise of the England team.

I did hear the other day that countries were invited to provide the organisers with 3 alternative slogans to be sprayed on the side of the team coaches. Egypt had “When you say Pharaohs, the world must get up and listen”, or something like that.

Someone suggested England could have "Keep the engine running".
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 World cup thread

Post by WendyOz on Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 am

How about this for the England coach:

We're the easybeats!
WendyOz

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 am

@WendyOz wrote:How about this for the England coach:

We're the easybeats!  

Well he's not taking Hart or Wilshire so hopefully we'll be the slightly less than easybeats.

On a serious note I really have no idea how England will do and I stopped expecting anything other than frustration a long long time ago.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Until Grealish is in the England squad I really couldn't care less. Is it wrong that I want Germany to win? From what I understand they have a good league, with cheap tickets and part-ownership of clubs by their fans.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Yeah i get it's not everyone's cup of tea but i love the world cup, even if it means having to endure england performances and listening to that tired, repetitive boring fecking band in the crowd all game.

Anyway, for those interested here is the squad:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Standby: Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jake Livermore (West Brom), James Tarkowski (Burnley)
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Heres a link to a decent pdf download of the competition showing groups and route to the final:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/01/04/world-cup-2018-bracket/
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Wed May 16, 2018 6:33 pm

I fancy iceland to upset argentina in the first game in group D
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 on Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 pm

I don't really get excited for the qualifiers and certainly am not interested in the friendlies but come the tournament proper I love it. Don't know how much I'll be able to watch this time but regardless, the concentrated bombardment of football through the summer is very welcome.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz on Thu May 17, 2018 5:17 am

I stopped supporting the England team when Don Revie refused to pick Villa Players.
Any strong feelings about who will be in the WC Final? Who will do well?
Can Salah carry Egypt all by himself?...Nah
WendyOz

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Thu May 17, 2018 10:56 am

Its always very difficult to bet against germany. Spain i think will do well and i wonder if we could see belgium come together as a team unit cos if they did then they are in with a shout.
I cant see it being anything other than an all- european final.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka on Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Going to enjoy the World Cup in spite of whatever England do (probably draw with Tunisia then have to beat their results vs. Panama and Belgium, sneak through to the next round where we draw Colombia or Senegal and get spanked and come home and call it a good "learning process"). Second day in and Spain vs Portugal is on at 7 o clock - gonna be a good tournament. Spain to win because of their awesome midfield.

bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by Con on Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 pm

I like the defenders, strikers and goalies but the midfielders are too inexperienced for this level. One plus point for me is the attitude of this team. Where are the big egos? Will they fight for each other? I think they will. I believe we will do better than people expect but we won't win it because we won't be able to control the game against a really good possession side. Not checked the tables and the seeding of the knockout phase but I'd say the semi-finals is a good target.

Con

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Starts tomorrow, I didn't think I'd be able to bare watching any of it if we lost the play-off final, but with what's transpired since, I'm actually looking forward to it now, as a distraction from Villa's worries.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:58 am

I'm off to Le Mans now, there will be a lot of bars showing the football and due to there being a large number of British/Dutch/Danish/German etc motor racing fans and the French it will be a good laugh. I must have been there for the last five world cups and don't remember any trouble, just a lot of people out having a good time.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Well if Russia did buy the world cup they must have got the opening day opponents in a bogof deal.
Don't get me wrong 5 nil in a game that I thought would be 0-0 is a bonus but if this is the quality of the wc this year I ain't impressed.
Pass pass.lose possession, repeat ad nauseum.
Saudi looked like a team of mo salah's hair but not mo salah's flair.
Their defence was beyond shite.
Mind you, as a group opening game Spain v Portugal is a monster!
Still think Iceland might give the argies a scare.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:55 pm

@De Kuip wrote:Well if Russia did buy the world cup they must have got the opening day opponents in a bogof deal.
Don't get me wrong 5 nil in a game that I thought would be 0-0 is a bonus but if this is the quality of the wc this year I ain't impressed.
Pass pass.lose possession, repeat ad nauseum.
Saudi looked like a team of mo salah's hair but not mo salah's flair.
Their defence was beyond shite.
Mind you, as a group opening game Spain v Portugal is a monster!
Still think Iceland might give the argies a scare.

Spain V Portugal will be a monster indeed, Maybe in bias since I was born in Madeira....2-1 Portugal, Ronaldo to score from the spot in stoppage time.
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Gutted for Egypt. Really put a shift in and their keeper had a great match.

bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:26 pm

The football on display hasn't been the best so far, expected more from Uruguay. You'd expect Portugal v Spain to improve things, but sometimes those kind of games can be just as boring, as they cancel each other out.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 pm

As a Villa fan i'm still trying to comprehend what i've just seen. As a football fan, that could easily be game of the tournament already.

bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:50 pm

That was one of the best games of football I've ever seen, and yes whilst watching it, I did think that it's almost like they're playing a different sport to what we see Villa play under Bruce.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by UnclePanda on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Jedi the world cup goalscorer!
UnclePanda

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Christ but Mexico were good against germany - I'm glad they weren't our first game opponents!
Nice to see the Germans lose as well.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 am

Well we left that late didn't we!?
Taking the positives we were excellent for the first 20 minutes, ok after that and decidedly average in the second half. Thank fuck for Harry Kane or we'd have been embarrassed.
Thought Trippier's delivery was excellent and some of our passing and movement was excellent.

Negatives - well we can't- apart from Kane - hit a cow's arse with a banjo, and we have to be better at this. Also it didn't take long before we fell into that predictable England rhythm of slowing down and passing sideways.
Also, what the actual fuck is the point if VAR if those cheating sugarbags can just resort to 6 yard box rugby?

Anyway, I thought Southgate did well although would have preferred Rashford to start instead of headless chicken Stirling. Good subs helped us push for the win. Panama next and hopefully by the time we play Belgium both of us will have qualified so could be an entertaining rather than nervy last group game.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:23 am

We should’ve had the game wrapped up after 30mins, that was the best opening 30mins I’ve seen thus far. Hopefully it was down to nerves that chances were snatched at, and in the next game they’ll be more settled and relaxed and the chances become goals. I think it could be seen that more than a bit of frustration was evident down to the missed chances and the woeful officiating, if it wasn’t biased then they made a damn fine job of making it look biased. It was pretty indefensible, especially the one in the 2nd half when the referee had spoken to them to sort it out and 20 seconds later they rugby tackle Kane and the ref sees nothing! What’s the point in VAR? I’ve said from the start of VAR that it should be down to the captains of the teams to be able to ask to go to VAR, similar to tennis where they have 3 appeals per set and keep them if they’re proven correct.
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:38 am

@Dazzle wrote:We should’ve had the game wrapped up after 30mins, that was the best opening 30mins I’ve seen thus far. Hopefully it was down to nerves that chances were snatched at, and in the next game they’ll be more settled and relaxed and the chances become goals. I think it could be seen that more than a bit of frustration was evident down to the missed chances and the woeful officiating, if it wasn’t biased then they made a damn fine job of making it look biased. It was pretty indefensible, especially the one in the 2nd half when the referee had spoken to them to sort it out and 20 seconds later they rugby tackle Kane and the ref sees nothing! What’s the point in VAR? I’ve said from the start of VAR that it should be down to the captains of the teams to be able to ask to go to VAR, similar to tennis where they have 3 appeals per set and keep them if they’re proven correct.

I think the VAR was being either run by the Tunisian TV or the Russians had nobbled it to get us back for the poisoning accusations? I mean Walker puts his arm out and the Tunisian runs into it on purpose then their defenders rugby tackle Kane on at least 2 occasions in front of the referee and nothing?
Ant way we won and on to the next game.
Russia are going great guns and Salah is off home!
No team has looked great for 90 minutes yet and it is still wide open!

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum