The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

MiddlesBrough vs Aston Villa (1st leg) match thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: MiddlesBrough vs Aston Villa (1st leg) match thread

Post by smetro on Sat May 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Terry Limping
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Sat May 12, 2018 6:26 pm

What has happened to Adomah in the last few weeks ? - his final ball is awful
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 pm

looking good.
Only worry is can boro be that poor again
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys on Sat May 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Advantage Villa! Grealish was named MOTM by sky sports but for me Snodgrass was brilliant as was Jedi, all to play for at a full Villa park.
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat May 12, 2018 7:20 pm

At least we've given ourselves a chance, but it's only half-time, and Middlesbrough apparently have a good record at Villa Park. Think we're going to need an early goal in the second leg.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Part 1 completed.

Let's give it to them at VP on Tuesday night with the place rocking.

Be great to see villa-obsessed Tiny Penis sent packing back to the North East with nothing to show.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys on Sat May 12, 2018 7:37 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:At least we've given ourselves a chance, but it's only half-time, and Middlesbrough apparently have a good record at Villa Park. Think we're going to need an early goal in the second leg.

Not this season, Villa haven't lost to Borough in the league and long may it continue.
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm

We are 1 up with 90 tough minutes to go basically but goodness me it could have been so much worse. Still not getting carried away far from it & of course even if we complete the job on Tuesday against Boro it only gets us to another game so i'm just going with the flow.
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain on Sat May 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Hope we get a better ref, shocking performance today. UTV
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 pm

That was a bit of a nail biter, aside from a couple of runs from Jack it felt like the second half was us giving them the ball to have another go and frankly I think we survived because they were so wasteful in front of goal. What we'll have to watch out for is Bamford starting next week, they looked much better with him up front.

And didn't Traore look superb? Hutton etc did a good job of keeping him quiet but he still smashed in a few good balls.

Apparently they've turned into a passing side now Pulis is in charge, no more hoofball. I'd love to see us do some of that instead of either hoofing it or hoping it bounces to Grealish to go off marauding through the middle. Snodgrass and Adomah would have torn them new ones with the kind of service Boro were giving their wings.

Onwards and upwards, we just need to score one more (preferably five) than them at VP.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 on Sun May 13, 2018 9:39 am

Brucies Tactic is the smother teams and catch em with a break if possible, we have tended to drop really far back once we have get a lead which invites pressure, I'm don't think he will change his ideas. Its not pretty and as expansive as we all would like, this tends to give us a nail biting time, but it does work, I think we have to suck it up and hope that things change, and if it gets us to the promised land then it is what we all crave, on another note that ref tonight was shocking it is a common statement in the Championship. UTV
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Sun May 13, 2018 9:51 am

@Saunders82 wrote:Brucies Tactic is the smother teams and catch em with a break if possible, we have tended to drop really far back once we have get a lead which invites pressure, I'm don't think he will change his ideas. Its not pretty and as expansive as we all would like, this tends to give us a nail biting time, but it does work, I think we have to suck it up and hope that things change, and if it gets us to the promised land then it is what we all crave, on another note that ref tonight was shocking it is a common statement in the Championship. UTV

Sure, it's not pretty and it's not exciting but yesterday it worked and it might work a couple more times. We didn't have a chance on the counter though because we couldn't get people forward. Every time we had the ball with the goalie or in defence we punted it long to the opposition. We must have retained it (or they made a mistake with it) about once every twenty times. Surely attempting a bit of possession (especially the way Grealish plays) is worth a try, if only to relieve pressure on the defence? Grealish looked superb when he was on the ball. Still, it was an away match and we did well. It's going to get noisy on Tuesday.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 on Sun May 13, 2018 11:08 am

Just a thought.... what if Bruce's tactics actually get us back to the Prem?
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Sun May 13, 2018 11:19 am

@VTID85 wrote:Just a thought.... what if Bruce's tactics actually get us back to the Prem?

Then they players have done a good job and we get rid of Bruce IMMEDIATELY.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am

We've got to guard against complacency going into the second leg, the tie is far from over. They score in most matches they play, yesterday was the first time they failed to do so since February, in fact since Pulis took charge, they've scored three goals in games on six occasions, and twice on ten occasions, or sixteen occasions if you count the times they've scored two or more in a game, so they've got more than enough firepower to make mincemeat of our one goal advantage, we've also haven't beaten them at Villa Park since 2005, and if we're to do it on Tuesday it's looking like we're going to have to do it without Elmohamady. I think first goal on Tuesday will be vitally important, hopefully we can get it.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun May 13, 2018 1:55 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:We've got to guard against complacency going into the second leg, the tie is far from over. They score in most matches they play, yesterday was the first time they failed to do so since February, in fact since Pulis took charge, they've scored three goals in games on six occasions, and twice on ten occasions, or sixteen occasions if you count the times they've scored two or more in a game, so they've got more than enough firepower to make mincemeat of our one goal advantage, we've also haven't beaten them at Villa Park since 2005, and if we're to do it on Tuesday it's looking like we're going to have to do it without Elmohamady. I think first goal on Tuesday will be vitally important, hopefully we can get it.

Apart from the three times they played us In matches that don't have our reserves? And yes we haven't beaten them at VP since then but how many times have we played them at home since then? Four times or fewer? We've also scored three or more several times this season, including four against the champions, five against Bristol, four against Wed, four against Burton, four at Ipswich etc. So how will they cope against our attack then? Oh, and we've only lost five league games at home In two years as well.

We can all come up with stats and reason as to why a team will win a game. The bottom line is we will see what happens on the day. No need to worry and come up with negative stats!!!...it's just silly. Oh, and Ayala, their key central defender, will be missing for them on Tuesday too. Bree or Taylor can replace Elmo, who will replace Ayala?

The pressure is all on Boro. We just have to hope our lads are focused and will get a positive result. And IF that happens you will no doubt start preaching about how great the opposition In the final will be and how scared you are about our chances Laughing .
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun May 13, 2018 2:47 pm

I'm not coming up with stats as to why Middlesbrough will win on Tuesday, just to point out that the job isn't done yet, and it still could go either way, our biggest downfall could be our own complacency, if we're not professional about it.

And yes if we get to the final I will be 'scared' about our chances, because we'll be either playing a Fulham team who've been on an amazing run, or a Derby team who've just beaten them so will be full of confidence, and have been on a bit of a run themselves.

We had people preaching about how Cardiff and Fulham were going to fall away, or even that Wolves would falter over the winter break, and how we were going to get second place, and look what happened there, I don't like to take things for granted.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun May 13, 2018 3:11 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I'm not coming up with stats as to why Middlesbrough will win on Tuesday, just to point out that the job isn't done yet, and it still could go either way, our biggest downfall could be our own complacency, if we're not professional about it.
But isn't that obvious? I don't see anyone saying that the tie is "over", most people have said it's simply halftime. You're just letting your insecurities takeover imo.

And yes if we get to the final I will be 'scared' about our chances, because we'll be either playing a Fulham team who've been on an amazing run, or a Derby team who've just beaten them so will be full of confidence, and have been on a bit of a run themselves.
A "Fulham team" who just got gubbed at blues and then lost to Derby? And a Derby team we just dominated at VP a few weeks ago? Anything can happen on any given day, but like I said before, we wouldn't be facing Barca.

We had people preaching about how Cardiff and Fulham were going to fall away, or even that Wolves would falter over the winter break, and how we were going to get second place, and look what happened there, I don't like to take things for granted.
And who said second place was in the bag? You're welcome to show me the culprit. I'd also urge you to go and look at where we were after we beat Blues!!..and the position we were in after we beat Wolves. But when you have Bruce as manager, slipping up against QPR. Bolton and Norwich is not exactly a surprise.

The fact is you love to see everything In a negative light. I personally am not scared about going up or staying down. What will be will be. The bottom line is we've got the most experienced squad left In these playoffs and have beaten most teams at the top of the league. If that doesn't give you confidence, then I guess that's your business.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 am

I have to say there’s no way I’d be looking to play Taylor as replacement for Elmo, I think we turn to Bree to fill in at RB. Taylor can only play at LB and Traore would, IMO, have a field day against him unfortunately. Apart from the forced change I think we’ll see the same 11, possibly Whelan in for Jedinak.
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 am

It's half time and we are one up after a visit to their patch! We have to be happy with that and i hope VP is rocking tomorrow to get us across the line! The first goal will be vitally important! Assuming everyone is fit then i would expect an unchanged line up?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm

De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: