The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Villa vs Wolves derby now more meaningful than ever?

Go down

The Villa vs Wolves derby now more meaningful than ever?

Post by AstonThriller on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 am

I've seen some Villa fans and journos running around trying their best to paint this as a "faux rivalry". As if any beef you have with another team MUST have it's roots from way back when. And I think that's bullsh/t. Yes, before they weren't on our radar at all because our issues have remained firmly with the noses, Albion and Coventry (They still sing about us LOL). But this year something has changed. The very first time for forty years that they've done better than us, they've piped up, crawled out from under their rocks and have declared to the entire world just how "superior" they are to us now. This arrogance, coupled with their obsession with their win over Us at the custard bowl, plus their silly "mind the gap song" they've been spewing of late, has lead to this rivalry catching fire. The fact is, every rivalry started from somewhere, and If we do go up alongside them, then our next two meetings will be just as meaningful as last nights was, no doubt about it.

There was agro after the game last night, and if you go on their forums you'll see their disdain for us In black and white. "Vile", "Can't stand them", "want them to lose in the playoffs" are some of the crap you'll see. I remember beating them 4-0 at their place when Angel got a few, and when we won down there In the last minute when Heskey knocked in that winner with a bullet header. Hell, what about when Robbie Keane struck home a sublime rocket to win the game for us? From what I remember those games came and went and there was no angst between the two fanbases. But things have clearly changed, the build-up to this last game was different, and the more we play them, the more significant I expect this game to be.

It's also interesting to note that Sky has put our last four games against them On the TV, plus both grounds were virtually sold out for the games this season, so clearly, it's not just an average game.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Re: The Villa vs Wolves derby now more meaningful than ever?

Post by De Kuip on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 am

I think any closer rivalry that occurs due to the proximity (and I mean more in the sense of performance than geography) will inevitably lead to more extreme opinions being expressed. Often those of us that are posters on forums are more partisan than many who are fans but not forum members. By that I mean committing to writing just how partisan we are, rather than just demonstrating it on matchdays/at work will colleagues.
There's probably a whole thesis to be written on the psychology of the forum poster, and I for one am definitely more over the top in the things I say here compared to real life.
I saw a few comments about how they hate us and 1 or 2 calling us the vile when I read through their forum post match, but I saw more that said fair play, we outdid them (although there were quite a few not feeling the love for Snodgrass.)
I think we also have to be careful about calling people a)arrogant or superior thinking they are better than us - the fact is for 3/4 of the season they have been. If we think that we are always the best (despite the positions of Wolves and WBA) what does that make us?
Nope, I think wolves have had a shitty time in the shade for a long time now, we should allow them a spell in the sun, even if the gloating has been hard to take, wouldn't we be just the same?
I've always liked wolves as a club and the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and by fuck they hate the noses- that's  good enough for me.
I'm sure I'm coming across as some kind of old gold apologist - I'm not trying to - but for me we can give it out plenty as Villa fans, we should be confident enough in our future to take it as well.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm

I guess a rivalry has developed because of the fact that we both have the same aim this season, and because Wolves are the team doing better and some might say look to have the brighter future - Fosun's mega wealth, some of Europe's most brilliant talents on tap via Mendes, and as it stands a better chance than us of Premier league football next season - then they of course, having played second fiddle to us for a longtime previously, then they're bound to intensify the rivalry by lauding it up over us, as them having the upper hand is all new to them.

They're definitely more bothered by us than we of them though, after they beat us at Molineux, I read more than one comment from their fans about how they came out of the ground with tears in their eyes, as they saw that game, result and performance as some sort power shift, confirmation that they've arrived, and they often refer to that game as a thrashing despite the scoreline only being 2-0, they also presumed that they were going to do the same at Villa Park, on one of their forums, there was thread for the Villa Park game started in early February, with many such proclamations.

I wouldn't call them arrogant as such, can't really blame them for having confidence in their side, and the future looks brighter than it has for a long time for them, but I would say they come across as somewhat deluded with some of the things they come out with, not in relation to us, but their overall outlook on what they think they're going to achieve in the coming seasons, it's not an uncommon opinion amongst their fans that they're already better than most Premier league sides, and that they can aim for top six next season, with Arsenal and Liverpool being teams they can 'target', of course not all of them, but a considerable amount do appear to have such beliefs.

Not that it means anything really though, it's not really hurting anybody,nothing wrong with fans having dreams for their club I guess, even if they could well be setting themselves up for disappointment. Whether our rivalry extends beyond this season, I guess depends on the trajectory of the two clubs, if we're competing for the same goals in the coming seasons, then it could intensify, if anything comes of this Mendes enquiry then would probably have an affect as well.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by UnclePanda on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Nah. Wolves mean f*** all to me. Sky sell it as such, to get people to watch. Their "rivalries weekend".

Wolves, WBA, Coventry.. nothing to me!
UnclePanda

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

@UnclePanda wrote:Nah. Wolves mean f*** all to me. Sky sell it as such, to get people to watch. Their "rivalries weekend".

Wolves, WBA, Coventry.. nothing to me!

The noses however......
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Birmingham Mail do the same, they'll take the words of Xia or Bruce out of context in a tweet and tag #WWFC, and get all the Wolves fans biting. For example during Bruce's Press conference on Friday, he actually praised Wolves and their players, and played down all the Mendes drama, but a few words taken out of context and Wolves fans had a meltdown about how much they hated him.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Apparently Leeds head honcho Andrea Radrizzani, is giving an interview on the BBC about what he's going to do next about the Wolves Mendes situation. Unless he knows something we don't, then I'm not sure there's a lot he can do, but should be interesting.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Yeah this does seem to be gathering momentum although perhaps they've paid Jamie carragher to grab the headlines instead!
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

It's not actually that interesting, he's just saying that he wants clarification on the rules, and if it's allowed then he wants to go down the same route, it's obviously allowed or they wouldn't have been able to do as they've done. I thought he might have had the inside track on some wrong doings.

Radrizzani on the BBC

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Wolves and Albion are derbies but THE derby? There's only 1 of those.

I don't bear Wolves the same hatred I do the Scummers. Feels more like a friendly rivalry.

Other than the fact that it'd be funny if they stayed down, I don't really begrudge them getting promoted as long as it isn't at out expense.
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Shortest lived rivalry ever, they're going in one direction and we the other. With their resources and connections, they'll probably overtake us for a long time to come.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Exactly, a load of hogwash from the media in some quite sad attempt to drum up a rivalry which is not really there. Good luck to Wolves they clearly have men at the top who know what they're doing and how to "go large" unlike some other clubs i know.
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue May 29, 2018 5:48 pm

I had a look on one of their forums the other day and they're being linked to £30m+ players, whilst we face the possibility of having to sell a number of our better players to raise a similar amount, their situation couldn't be further apart from ours at the moment, their fans are lauding it up big time, and seem to think that we're ruined, and they're going to be challenging the top six, would be nice to shut them up and swap places with them at the end of next season but that doesn't seem likely.

The more I think about it the more I don't think I'd mind us linking up with a 'superagent' like they have done, at least whilst we're in the Championship, we know that the club wrote to the football league to ask if it was all above board, people presumed it was because we wanted Wolves investigated, but maybe it's because we wanted to check the rules before trying something similar ourselves.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue May 29, 2018 6:08 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I had a look on one of their forums the other day and they're being linked to £30m+ players, whilst we face the possibility of having to sell a number of our better players to raise a similar amount, their situation couldn't be further apart from ours at the moment, their fans are lauding it up big time, and seem to think that we're ruined, and they're going to be challenging the top six, would be nice to shut them up and  swap places with them at the end of next season but that doesn't seem likely.

The more I think about it the more I don't think I'd mind us linking up with a 'superagent' like they have done, at least whilst we're in the Championship, we know that the club wrote to the football league to ask if it was all above board, people presumed it was because we wanted Wolves investigated, but maybe it's because we wanted to check the rules before trying something similar ourselves.

Teams like Palace spent 30m on getting the likes of Benteke, that's what the premiership gets you and it's nothing new. Let them have their time in the sun, we know they'll never be as big as the Villa even if they finished top six five seasons in a row. And tbh, I'm over these clowns now, we proved our point In our game against them at VP, now i want to see exactly what Xia is gonna do about the manager, CEO and director of football who have let him down so badly. F#CK Wolves.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Tue May 29, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue May 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Well according to someone on another forum who I've seen get one or two things right in a roundabout way before, there's a meeting being held today on what's going to happen going forward, so maybe we'll have answers in the coming days. I know people have been saying that Xia has already gone back to China, but I can't see any evidence for that, he doesn't usually post on twitter when he's over there.

Hopefully he comes up with something that settles everyone's nerves, and gives us a bit of hope going into next season.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue May 29, 2018 7:08 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Well according to someone on another forum who I've seen get one or two things right in a roundabout way before, there's a meeting being held today on what's going to happen going forward, so maybe we'll have answers in the coming days. I know people have been saying that Xia has already gone back to China, but I can't see any evidence for that, he doesn't usually post on twitter when he's over there.

Hopefully he comes up with something that settles everyone's nerves, and gives us a bit of hope going into next season.

I remember Wyness saying they are "not afraid to make big decisions" when he was interviewed by TheVillaView, so we're gonna see about that. You can't sack RDM after five minutes and then contrive to keep potato head after two years of failure, that would be utter madness.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum