The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread

+9
De Kuip
bruka
smetro
FoxyAV
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
achilles
deadbuzzardalive
Saunders82
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread

Post by AstonThriller Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:30 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:People talking about this result not mattering because we have to concentrate on the league, but us losing to Peterborough today speaks to our inconsistency under Bruce, and hardly fills me with confidence that we're going to make a serious challenge for promotion, it wouldn't be so bad if we had played a genuine reserve team, but the likes of Terry, Taylor, Onomah, Hourihane, Davis and Green are all what you'd call first teamers who we will be relying on to beat much better teams than Peterborough.

Result has also killed any feelgood factor and momentum from the Bristol City game.

Let's be honest, Terry and Green were playing for the first time in months, whilst Davis may be a first teamer but is still only 19 years old in his first full season. It's a disappointing result, but you and I know that if Adomah, Snoddy, Jedi, Chester, Johnstone, Elmo etc had played, then we'd be talking about a different result most likely.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:52 pm

We just have to show that it hasn't affected us and beat Forest, do that and this game will be forgotten.
deadbuzzardalive

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Bloody hell I go off the grid over Dartmoor for one day and come back to this result!!!!
This is why we can never have anything nice.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm

I should have stayed on the moor. Rather freeze to death or get eaten by a werewolf than endure one more week of that fat Geordie sugarbag embarassing our club
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm

The result doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, although winning breeds confidence so it would have been nice to have won just to build up a bit more confidence.

I don't think anyone played well except Steer.
Certainly think that Elphick should have played instead of Bree, who hasn't played for years (it seems) and is definitely not a centre half!
O'Hare had a poor game but as I pointed out earlier he is not a right winger, just play players in their proper positions to at least give them a chance especially youngsters as it might destroy their confidence!
Onomah is bloody awful, please just send him back to the smoke!

Unfortunately this just puts added pressure on next week to get a result so this game can be quickly forgotten, over to you Mr Bruce!
achilles
achilles

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Villa losing to Peterborough in the F.A cup at home is embarrassing regardless of changes or our league position trying to challenge for promotion.
I blame Bruce and I blame ALL the players involved, the team that started should have been way above the opposition.
Bruce your a negative tool and the players involved should be asking themselves a big question about commitment to the club.
We have been calling for the youngsters and they have let the club, themselves and us down.

Boldfinger

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:45 pm

Couldn't give a flying fuck about this result tbh

There's only one thing that matters this season.

Promotion. Nothing else.

Even if we get promoted, the FA Cup won't be priority next season either.

Not getting relegated. That will be the priority.

In fact, I think it will be a fair few seasons before any cup competition will be a priority for our club.

Cup runs are a priority for clubs who are established in mid-table of whatever division they are deemed to 'belong in'

For us, this the Premier League.

Not what anyone wants to hear (and it pains me to write it) but them's the facts.
Villa Ranger
Villa Ranger

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:06 am

I think we're being a little unfair on the players here. Bruce is well out of his depth at any level and struggles to understand why his first-choice starting 11 in the Championship gets unpicked by inferior teams with intelligent managers. Playing predominantly second-string players with Bruce in charge against well organised opposition (no matter what league) is always going to end in disaster. I can't blame the players and just feel sorry for them having to be directed by this complete idiot.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:53 am

It would be alright saying that promotion is the only thing that matters, making the Peterborough result irrelevant, if it wasn't for the fact that the team that lost so easily is the very team that we're hoping to win said promotion.

Losing games such as this breeds a losing mentality, we can't just pick and chose which games we're going to win, I mean losing to Losing to Millwall, Bradford, Leyton Orient, and Sheffield United, in recent years didn't exactly help our league campaigns did it.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:01 am

Villa Ranger wrote:Couldn't give a flying fuck about this result tbh

Promotion. Nothing else.

In fact, I think it will be a fair few seasons before any cup competition will be a priority for our club.

Cup runs are a priority for clubs who are established in mid-table of whatever division they are deemed to 'belong in'

Not what anyone wants to hear (and it pains me to write it) but them's the facts.

They might be your facts mate but that doesn't make them "the" facts. Any club that has any consideration for its fans should - in my opinion  (Not facts) - try it's best to go on a good cup run. Jesus are we so poor as a club that we have to make 10 changes against Peterborough ffs? Do our first choice 11 really need a fortnight off, the little snowflakes?
I know the past is another country, but if Villa could win the league only using 14 players, do we really need 34 to get out of s very average championship? Obviously with this twunt in charge we do.
Personally I'm fucking embarrassed by yesterday's result and it should matter. It just should.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 am

Only our league position at seasons end will justify or damn the decisions being taken at this time. Finish in the top 2 and all is rosy and rest for the players during January looks a smart move. Only time will tell. I’d say my disappointment lays with the apparent misuse of O’Hare in right midfield. If true (I wasn’t there) then that is stupid.
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 am

As has been previously mentioned it wasn't even that much of a weakened side, Taylor, Terry, Hourihane, Davis, Onomah, half the team, have all been regulars this season, Green was as well until his injury, and all of whom will get plenty of game time in the league, then De Laet and Bjarnasson have plenty of experience, it was a side that should have been easily good enough to beat Peterborough.

As for O'Hare he's no stranger to playing on the right-hand side.

The fact that a lot of people aren't bothered that we were beat 3-1 by Peterborough at Villa Park, and by the sound of things it could have been a lot worse, speaks to the apathy that surrounds the club at the moment. I don't think it's even been reported in the press as an upset, that's how low we've sunk.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:42 am

Villa Ranger wrote:Couldn't give a flying fuck about this result tbh

Promotion. Nothing else.

That's fair enough, though I think a loss should be pisding people off no matter what, but yes in the big picture another lower league cup humiliation is irrelevant.

It does however puzzle me how the shite football and lack of progress with Steve Bruce in charge don't bother more people. I can handle losses, but when a manager don't show progresd through his plans and philosophy over 15 months, then questions has to be asked.

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Christ I hope forest don't play like that on Saturday!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:13 pm

De Kuip wrote:Christ I hope forest don't play like that on Saturday!

We will be much fresher than them with an extra weeks rest! lol!
achilles
achilles

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Tell you what though- that's what youth can give you. Pleased for lichaj as well. Great match to watch as well.
Proper FA cup stuff!
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:52 pm

We'll see this Saturday whether our going out of the FA cup counts for anything, or whether Forest getting a good win does them more good than harm going when they get back to league football. I think it would have been worth us beating Peterborough, just for keeping the momentum going from the Middlesbrough and Bristol City games alone, now it's gone, and going into our next fixture it's our next opponents who have it.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:We'll see this Saturday whether our going out of the FA cup counts for anything, or whether Forest getting a good win does them more good than harm going when they get back to league football. I think it would have been worth us beating Peterborough, just for keeping the momentum going from the Middlesbrough and Bristol City games alone, now it's gone, and going into our next fixture it's our next opponents who have it.
Agree 100%
De Kuip
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:20 pm

I think it was the right tactical call to rest players. My issue with Bruce isn't that he used fringe players. My issue is how he failed to win with them. He is just a very shit manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm

I have to agree with what has been said, we needed to keep momentum going now we are starting again, sad thing is that we don't have any say in team selection or tactics, our management obviously have a far different idea to us. The end of the season will prove who is right, can't help but think about when O'Neil gave it up in Europe to get us into the champions league and it blew up in his face. Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 4025243045
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 am

Apparently Elphick played well in our last league game and he's not played for how long? Claims of "not played for ages" don't really wash in my opinion.

Plus, if Elphick did play well, why was he dropped and a non-centreback used? Granted he's not the greatest center half but common sense says he's going to be better than Bree.

Every week that goes by tells me that Bruce is extremely naive in his team selection & tactics and does best when changes that are forced on him through injury mean he has to play a balanced side.
Trotters
Trotters

Villa v Peterborough FA Cup match thread - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 am

I think leaving out Elphick was the correct decision, we're down to him, Chester and now Terry at CB. No point playing two of them in a cup match. On the other hand why not play the correct academy player there instead? Not sure who it would have been. Likewise any other position on the pitch.

On the plus side if we are still in this division next season and he's still under contract maybe Elphick could be the solution if Terry goes?

I did think Bruce plays incorrect players in key positions not because they're any good at football or play well with their teammates but because they're willing to get stuck in. That doesn't, however, explain the likes of Elmo (when Hutton is better - apart from final ball - and is all commitment) or Onomah (who isn't an AM and by all accounts doesn't seem interested). Elmo I can kind of agree with (because Hutton is a better LB at getting the ball forward than our LB) but playing Onomah in Grealish's position and Whelan in Onomah's place has pretty much killed our season.

I hate to think where we'd be if Hourihane and Adomah hadn't filled injury-struck positions. To put it another way the only reason we're where we are is by luck, the same luck being responsible for Bruce still having a job. I don't see Green as a 12-goal winger or Lansbury being anywhere as good as Hourihane in both covering Whelan and getting forward so well (albeit in a much more limited way than were he next to a player with functioning legs, energy etc).

I think we'd have been better off sending out correct U23 players in correct positions and dotting around a few senior players only if entirely necessary. At least the U23 team plays as one every week and what's the point of throwing away a match like this just to give the likes of Green and Terry some match fitness? Do that in an U23 match, not somewhere fans pay good money and take time to go to support their team in the expectation of seeing football played.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:46 am

Foxyknoxy wrote:I think we'd have been better off sending out correct U23 players in correct positions and dotting around a few senior players only if entirely necessary. At least the U23 team plays as one every week and what's the point of throwing away a match like this just to give the likes of Green and Terry some match fitness? Do that in an U23 match, not somewhere fans pay good money and take time to go to support their team in the expectation of seeing football played.

Agreed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:05 am

Elphick on the bench wasn't a bad decision when you consider how thin our options at the back are.

I'm very surprised though that he didn't get brought on at HT to let Terry be eased back in
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2