The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Next Aston Villa manager thread

+29
VillaBill
Saunders82
Army villain
LVBrit
ember
Fpuppys
Synopsis
STO67
bruka
VTID85
big ming
deadbuzzardalive
Boldfinger
Dions_Bald_Head
Jae1411
DelboyVilla
De Kuip
The Utterer
danclare82
villajk
Terry Derry
FoxyAV
achilles
Villa_Dan
smetro
Dazzle
UnclePanda
rogermuffin69
AstonThriller
33 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Aston Villa manager thread

Post by smetro Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 am

Joppe84 wrote:Nobody looks like first team material until they get the chance and they do though. Nobody thought Davis was ready until he as given a chance and excelled.

I think they all are ready for first team football. It's just a matter of giving them the chance. I'd much rather see Suliman instead of Jedinak, O'Hare for Snodgrass, Hayes for Whelan etc. but that's me.
Disagree on them being in the team as well. From my memory both Green and Grealish has been plenty on the bench. RHM has been injured a lot though, that's a fair point. But there's no chance Bruce the dinosaur would have played RHM over Kodjia or Hogan. We all know this.

Youve got to be joking - maybe Sulliman last year, but even thats a push. Sulliman is no where near ready for first team. Basically he he had a purple patch when he was 15/16 - but has stagnated since then - I think anyone who watches the u23's would tell you that. Its touch and go whether Sulliman gets a run out v peterborough on saturday or not. He honestly isn't ready.

Green I recall was in the team earlier this season - then got a pretty bad injury - he has only just returned to fitness, I don't think he has been on the first team bench at all since that injury.

Grealish has been on the bench for around two or 3 games few games - but got on in most of them - and has started the last couple. and other than saturday I would expect him to start the next few (Bruce has publicly stated he wants to build the team around him)

Kjodia pretty much walks into the team on last seasons stats - I don't have a problem with that. And few the last few weeks Hogan has been on the bench whilst a 19 year old Davis took his place. I think most people would agree that Davis run out of steam in the last few weeks.
smetro
smetro

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 3 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Aston Villa manager thread

Post by Guest Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:40 am

No? Jedinak is not a CB. And when he plays there he plays utter shit. I'd rather play Suliman even if he is a bit raw. Young CB's need that experience to get their head around what's required in the top level. They will make mistake, just like Clark and Baker did when coming into the first team, but they learn from it and get better. That's something Jedinak never will do. Letting Suliman play when he can is preparing for the future. Having Jedinak in there is essentially a way where you eat your seed corn. Especially now when we have fuck all money.

I cba going back into last season listing every match we had the youths on the bench and fuck all on the pitch, but there were plenty. Steve Bruce does not do youths unless he has to. It's just how he is.

FWIW I'd rather having Davis on the pitch than Kodjia, but that's me. Personally I hope Kodjia gets sold.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Marco 'Bullshiter' Silvia sacked.

To be fair a reasonable manager but seems to get through 2 clubs a season - and always trying to step up - as seems the case here.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun May 27, 2018 12:29 am

Seeing people mention the likes of Ranieri, Moyes and Allardyce, Wenger, and Arteta, we probably couldn't afford or attract any of them. Even seeing suggestions for Lampard, but again he turned down Ipswich because they couldn't agree personal terms, so we'd probably be in a similar boat.

We need a change. someone more suited to the squad rebuild we're going to face, but there are no obvious candidates, I'm personally glad that Rowett has already gone to Stoke, as I don't rate him at all.

If we do the right thing, and bring in the right manager, as hard as it is to imagine now, in a year or so, we might look back on today as a blessing in disguise.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun May 27, 2018 2:54 am

Clarence Seedorf just left Deportivo after trying desperately to save them from relegation. Got them playing well in the end but just didn't have enough time to close the gap. I'd bring him in and let him stamp his philosophy on the club. Hannes Wolf is also a great young manager who could be another David Wagner. I also admired the job Jaap Stam did at Reading as well. He outsmarted Jokanovic in the playoffs and only lost to Wagner on penalties. Tactically he's good and a poor spell last season because he had no real money to improve the team further.

Rui Faria and Mikel Arteta are also interesting names If they want to start their managerial careers at a lower level. Arteta I think would do well here tbh. As for Lampard, heard he was linked with the Derby job but I wouldn't take a risk on him right now. Arteta or Faria have much better resumes.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 3 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun May 27, 2018 12:40 pm

If Bruce is to go, we must look beyond the jurassic merry go round - none of English football's usual suspects, the warts around the anus of the sport. We also need to look beyond managers in-post in the Championship and potentially managers from lower leagues should not even be given consideration.
VTID85

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun May 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Lampard was being mentioned as coming in alongside Terry.

As for Arteta, he was being strongly linked with Arsenal recently I'm not sure he'd fancy coming to a championship club under financial restrictions as his first job, if he was to get it wrong, it could so easily damage his reputation before it's even begun, I'm not even sure if Wyness would give him a second thought anyway.

The more I think about it Dean Smith has to be the stand out candidate if we need someone who can work under financial restrictions, his Brentford side must have one of the smallest budgets in the league, and last summer they lost half of their team to birmingham, and he still had them challenging for the play-offs.

It'd be nice to unearth another Pochettino from somewhere, but with Wyness or Round I don't think they'd take the risk, and we're not going to be able to afford an established big name, so I think someone like Smith is the most likely outcome, I see both Quique Sánchez Flores, and Garcia are available, maybe they'd come into consideration given they've got championship experience.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm

I see people are worrying about the possibility of Moyes, only recently he was talking himself up as a top six Premier league manager, so won't be dropping to the championship, and he'd want millions, which we probably can't afford. Same with people mentioning Allardyce, he was on six million a year at Everton, for good or bad he won't be coming here either.

If we were to down the old tried and tested British manager route, it would be someone like Nigel Pearson, Ian Holloway, or Mick McCarthy, who've all had experience of getting teams out of this league.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun May 27, 2018 3:34 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:If we were to down the old tried and tested British manager route, it would be someone like Nigel Pearson, Ian Holloway, or Mick McCarthy, who've all had experience of getting teams out of this league.

We already have Bruce, as everyone says (including on Sky yesterday) he's the most successful manager for Championship promotions. Personally I think it's all bollocks, as is hiring proven 'men' like Terry, Whelan and co.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun May 27, 2018 4:49 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Moyes

No.

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Allardyce

No.

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Nigel Pearson

No.

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Ian Holloway

No.

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Mick McCarthy

No.

deadbuzzardalive wrote:the old tried and tested British manager route

No.
VTID85

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 3 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun May 27, 2018 6:14 pm

I agree with all those nos, expect possibly Allardyce, if we were somehow to get him, I'd be quite optimistic about our chances of promotion, it's not worth arguing the point as he won't be coming here anyway, but I think where he'd differ from Bruce is that he'd have an actual game plan, and would have the side well drilled with that plan in mind, his teams don't just get stuck in and wait for individuals to win games he has got a method.

The only real chance we'd have of getting him is if he'd be prepared to take a massive pay cut in order for the opportunity of managing a big club, if we were to give him the same salary as Bruce, he'd still be on a sizable wack of dough.

My first choice as I've said many times is to bring in a young foreward thinking manager who will get us playing attacking football, I don't have the answer to who that might be, but there will be plenty of candidates out there and it's up to the club to find them.

Other names I've seen mentioned are Graham Potter and our own Mellberg, It's just a question as to whether the club will take a risk, or whether they'd go for another name from UK managerial merrygoround.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun May 27, 2018 7:04 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I agree with all those nos, expect possibly Allardyce, if we were somehow to get him, I'd be quite optimistic about our chances of promotion, it's not worth arguing the point as he won't be coming here anyway, but I think where he'd differ from Bruce is that he'd have an actual game plan, and would have the side well drilled with that plan in mind, his teams don't just get stuck in and wait for individuals to win games he has got a method.

The only real chance we'd have of getting him is if he'd be prepared to take a massive pay cut in order for the opportunity of managing a big club, if we were to give him the same salary as Bruce, he'd still be on a sizable wack of dough.

My first choice as I've said many times is to bring in a young foreward thinking manager who will get us playing attacking football, I don't have the answer to who that might be, but there will be plenty of candidates out there and it's up to the club to find them.

Other names I've seen mentioned are Graham Potter and our own Mellberg, It's just a question as to whether the club will take a risk, or whether they'd go for another name from UK managerial merrygoround.

Hannes Wolf was the Dortmund-B head coach like Wagner, then took over at Stuggart who were in the German second division and won the title. Had a shaky start to life in the German top division and their owner pulled the trigger early. But he's every bit as talented as David Wagner imo and is only 37 so could grow with the club.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Sun May 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Don't hold much hope in this being true, but someone on the 'Heroes & Villains' forum has said he's been told by one of the Chairmen from the 'Lions club' that Bruce has resigned.

Just had another look, and they're all asking him for 'pms' so seems they trust him somewhat on there, hope it's true, not only because we need a change, but also if he resigns would save us a bit of money compensation wise, after the year he's had I think it would probably be best for his own sake if he took a break anyway.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Mon May 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Dean Smith for me. He has a reputation for producing cultured and progressive football. He is not afraid to use the kids if he thinks they are good enough. Best of all he is a genuine Villa fan and not another on the managerial merry-go-round with no love for or connection to the club. For that reason he would bond with the fans very quickly. What is there to lose by giving him a go on a rolling contract, if he will go for it?
big ming

Next Aston Villa manager thread - Page 3 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Mon May 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Dean Smith makes the most sense of all the realistic domestic names being talked about, both from a fans point of view and probably from Round and Wyness's perspective as well...

But if we can at least afford to give a new manager Bruce's wage's or at least similar amount, then perhaps we still might be able to attract a manager with an even better pedigree, we need someone who's going to be to us as Nuno was to Wolves, Wagner to Huddersfield and Jokanović has been to Watford and Fulham.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 am

Probably no truth to it, but apparently it's being reported in the Italian media that we're in talks with Andrea Stramaccioni. Seems unlikely to me though.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue May 29, 2018 1:35 pm

This guy seems to be pretty well informed, knew about that Luke guy designing our kits way before anyone else and the loan signing of Tuanzebe...

The Holte
‏@TheHolteTweets
Been told that plans are in place to potentially replace Bruce should he leave, including actually holding talks with candidates (main target being Gareth Ainsworth whom we have spoken with). Whether or not that means a sacking or a stepping down, I have no clue. #UTV

If Ainsowrth is the main target, a manager finished third in league two, then who are the others likely to be? If true seems like we can't afford the wages of a more established manager, and perhaps can't afford the compensation for someone like Dean Smith, it also suggests that we're reluctant to go for someone who doesn't have experience of English football. Not saying I want him, but if we were going to go for a league two manager then surely the Luton boss would make more sense, his team finished above Wycombe scoring more goals, conceding less, and were praised for their exciting brand of football.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Bruce apparently linked with Leeds, works for me. Wondering if Ainsworth is being mentioned as he seems to do quite well out of the free transfer market.
bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue May 29, 2018 4:27 pm

I wonder if the club have leaked Ainsworth's name in the hope that it means fans won't be disappointed when it's announced that Bruce is staying, as the alternative would a league 2 manager, I mean he might have promise, but surely we can do better even under financial constraints, we could find a decent manager from the continent for a fractioin of Bruce's wage. Wycombe don't even have an academy side, so how that would tally up with Ainsworth introducing our youth players to first team football I'm not sure.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Don't believe the Ainsworth talk, they aren't that stupid. No names will move me until we hear Bruce is gone first. Then we can see what the club are about.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Been told that plans are in place to potentially replace Bruce should he leave

Even if he walked and we didn't replace him I don't think we'd be any worse. The players could go to the pub, watch a few matches from last season, decide what they did right and what they did wrong and work on it on the training ground. Whelan could be promoted to chief coach of grimacing and Jack could teach everyone how to argue with the referee every ten seconds. Terry's not really left, he'll be shagging all the Wags.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Wed May 30, 2018 8:24 am

The main problem against binning Bruce is that is not just his one years salary compo. His entire backroom staff would probably also have to be compensated and, unless his replacement is out off contract, compo to his club and for any new backroom support. For a club with limited means... not good. I wonder if there is a progressive coach already at the club to avoid all this.
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 am

The main thing is that whatever happens with Bruce, player sales, everything is that we do it in a timely fashion. We don't have the luxury of time this year with the World Cup and a shorter transfer window. I think the team that settles fastest this year will ultimately be the one that ends up topping the table.
There won't be a run away team like Wolves this year, as much as it pains me to say it they were fantastic and had some Prem quality players already in their team. Of the ones that have come down the baggies are the only ones who give me cause for concern. They all seem to want Darren Moore to do well and will play for him. Foster is staying so they will have one of the best keepers in the league and if Brunt stays he will be another strong Championship player for them. Add in players like Oliver Burke and Sam Field who i think could come good by dropping down a division and the money they will have from parachute payments and selling the likes of Rondon and they look like our main rivals if we do manage to push for promotion again.
bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed May 30, 2018 9:49 am

bruka wrote:There won't be a run away team like Wolves this year, as much as it pains me to say it they were fantastic and had some Prem quality players already in their team.

And therein lies the difference. Bruce went for ex-Premier League quality players (Terry, Whelan) plus ones we already had (Jedi, Hutton, Gabby) rather than ones who should and probably will be in the PL (Grealish and probably Kodjia and Chester). Snodgrass, Johnstone and Onomah all good loans though, even if Onomah came across as not always wanting to be here. Talking of Onomah, I wonder if Spurs will be happy loaning us players again if Bruce stays?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 am

Steve Agnew? Performances showed a marked improvement after he joined. Got the feeling his philosophy is more "football" than "anti-football". Would save all the massive upheaval if Bruce goes.
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next