The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa vs Boro (cup game) match thread

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Aston Villa vs Boro (cup game) match thread

Post by Wookster on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:I was sat in the Holte end discussing my impending wedding with my mother

Is that legal
Wookster

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:17 am

VillaBill wrote:We could be playing Real Madrid for all I care, but when we are playing at our home, we should play to win and that means two strikers up top

100% agree!! You need to have some pride in your team at your own ground!

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 am

The 4-4-2 vs 4-5-1 thing is interesting. We have the players for a 4-4-2 even (especially?) with Adomah on the left. It's taken a whole year for Bruce to work out it's possible and the key for me is the introduction of Davis as a striker who can control the ball, hold it up to bring other players into play, assist and score. Bruce had a sort of go last season with Hogan playing up front with Kodjia but both seem to prefer to play alone up front. Davis appears to be the perfect partner up front for pretty much anyone. Bruce likes to play hoofball and Davis can bring the ball down and often keep it, something Hogan can't do (the fact he's a little taller than Kylie doesn't help but why should Bruce have noticed that?). The one thing letting it all down is Bruce's insistence on playing a defensive midfielder with no legs or pace in either Jedi or Whelan, which holds back Houriane from being able to come too far forward. Yet again I bring up the Brighton match last season with Hourihane partnered with Lansbury, where there's almost always one player in or around the box when we go forward, safe in the knowledge both he and his central midfield partner have the legs to cover both defensive and attacking parts of their jobs.

The 4-5-1 allows that defensive midfielder to be played, with two more attacking midfielders to help out. It's not been so successful so far this season with his insistence on playing Elmo on right wing and what seems like a different RB every match, or just Hutton, which is just as bad. Elmo's about as bad as Hutton at defence but better going forward, and seems to work well with Snodgrass, so Bruce might be throwing defensive caution to the wind. He just needs to embrace the 4-4-2 with no aged defensive midfielder and go for the win. We have some of the most expensive/best strikers in the league, we just need to give them a chance to score goals. Sure, we may well let in more goals but at least we'll have a chance of scoring some.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum