The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Unforgettable moments

+4
Roncrete
wearie willie
pooligan
Trotters
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Unforgettable moments Empty Unforgettable moments

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:25 pm

What memories do you have of the Villa that will stay with you forever?
I have loads.
The Liverpool game when we beat them 5-1, I can remember standing looking out onto the floodlit pitch thinking that this is as good as will ever get.
Sleeping on the pavement outside Villa Park when queueing to get tickets for the Everton League Cup final. I was only young and I remember an older bloke telling me he would keep an eye on my bag if I wanted to get my head down for a bit. The camaraderie of the Villa fans that night was amazing.
Blackpool the year we got promoted, the whole town was a sea of claret and blue as was the ground.
So many memories.

Back to top Go down

Unforgettable moments Empty Re: Unforgettable moments

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:33 pm

The Cahill goal against Blues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:35 pm

My first time there. Standing under the Witton Lane with my dad, smelling the cigar smoke that to this day reminds me of Villa Park.

And then walking up the steps to see that pitch for the first time.

Grass. Magnificent, amazing, swathes of green. You can find it anywhere in the world but my god that bit right there....quite something.
Trotters
Trotters

Unforgettable moments 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Probably getting my first kit when I was aged nine. It was my favourite kit, the AST computer one from 95-97.

I loved wearing it when we played football in school and most of the other boys were either in Gaelic football tops or Liverpool and United kits. I was the Mr. Villa in the group and we were a top four club.

Nice. But then, when you are nine or ten everything seems so much better, doesn't it?

As for games, the Athletico Madrid Uefa Cup tie will always stand out for me. I was sure we'd be in the Champions League before long, with big European nights on a regular basis. How wrong I was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:Probably getting my first kit when I was aged nine. It was my favourite kit, the AST computer one from 95-97.

That was the first one I got too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Billy McBingo wrote:
Farrell_10 wrote:Probably getting my first kit when I was aged nine. It was my favourite kit, the AST computer one from 95-97.

That was the first one I got too.

Do you still have yours?

I went rooting for mine a few years ago and couldn't find it. Very sad...It is probably the best kit we have had in the Premiership era.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:09 pm

I had mine in my car along with the away version that was promptly stolen.

Bastards.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:Do you still have yours?

Yep. It is tiny.

I still have all my old kits. The other particularly old one I have is the striped LDV Vans one from the year we got to the FA Cup final. Other than that and the AST ones all of them still fit me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:26 pm

Trotters wrote:I had mine in my car along with the away version that was promptly stolen.

Bastards.

Bastards. That's awful man.

Which away did you have,the navy or the white? They were both nice away kits too. Reebok generally did a good job back then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Thinking on it, it was the Muller top. I remember feeling really bad that they got the home top but then I cheered up when I realised what else they'd taken.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:37 pm

I didn't like the Muller tops.

Another unforgettable moment for me is my first visit to Villa Park in October 2000 to see us play Charlton. We won 2-1 and the Trinity Road Stand was still under construction. I never got to see the old stand in all its glory.

Unforgettable moments Downlo11

Back to top Go down

Post by pooligan Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:58 pm

I have loads of unforegettable moments .One that comes to mind instantly ,is the winning goal by Pat McMahon in the League Cup Semi Final second leg match against Man Utd .At the time we were a third division team and that United team included the likes of Best,Charlton and Law. At the end of the game, Villa were actually in a cup Final at Wembley for the first time in my life .I have never forgot that moment
pooligan

Unforgettable moments 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 am

Whatever happens, at least we all have our memories of better times and the club's proud history to rally us

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:08 pm

The more I hear and read about those Third Division days the better they become. My dad went all over the world watching us including Rotterdam but his favourite days were always the Third Division days.

Personal favourites of mine:
Bolton FA Cup semi, my mom hadn't long passed away and I just filled up when we won, thinking of her (she'd been a Season Ticket holder) and how pleased more than anything she'd have been for me.
I have a memory of standing at the bottom of the old Witton End with Mom Dad and my brother, and an old man sharing his flask and sandwiches with us – it stuck with me as Mom and Dad were very poor at the time, with Dad working around the clock to get his business off the ground.
Dennis Mortimer bursting through to score against Liverplop in the Championship season was magical – that was the moment when we really believed we could win the League.
A game against Spurs in the League Cup when we were in the 2nd Division – the place was rocking that night.
Warren Aspinall at the baggies, when we started to turn our 2nd Division campaign around, after a hangover from the relegation season. Aspinall used to infuriate me – he’d be hopeless for 3-4 games then go and get a (usually meaningless) goal to keep in the team! This night at the Yawnthorns was memorable though – not least for me and my mates getting legged for miles afterwards.
Kent Nielsen’s pile driver against Inter, we were right behind that, brilliant night.
Dean Saunders against Ipswich – every time I hear ‘The Life of Riley’ (then the MOTD goals round-up theme) it takes me back to Deano and his own Goal of the Season competition.
Dalian Atkinson’s goal to take us into extra time against Tranmere – probably the most brilliant split-second of being a Villa fan. I saw grown men cry with joy that day, and an old man of what must have been 80, singing ‘Big Fat Ron’s Claret and Blue Army’!
Savo at Wembley – we all knew he had that in him.
I’ll add Paul Merson against Leeds in the cup, heroic effort, left him bruised, bloodied and out cold. To see a modern day player doing the same as you and I would – shed blood for the Villa.
Going to the first Villa match after my granddad passed away during the 80-81 season, and realising just what it meant to him and my dad.
Being on the pitch after we’d been relegated, and wondering how on earth we’d got into such a mess. Gathering by the old Trinity Road entrance to protest against old Doug, with about two dozen others after that same match.
Going up at Swindon – I fully expected Middlesbrough to go up.
Talking of ‘Boro, seeing us annihilate them 3-0 when we could have scored 20, last home game of the Championship season, and the word going round that we had won the League that afternoon – and realising that we hadn’t! Also, ‘Boro brought about 6 fans down. They became my second favourite team a week later though! RIP Bosco.
Being at the Sty the night of that game. Being pelted with missiles (again) by their lunatic supporters whilst their stewards stood and laughed.
Finally I have to say, yet again, Tranmere at home – I took my two step-brothers that day, and they’ve been Villa through and through ever since.

Back to top Go down

Post by wearie willie Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 pm

League Cup Semi v Man Utd
Friendly v Santos
3rd Divison Game v Bournemouth
5-1 V Liverpool
Any Win V the Scum
wearie willie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Ian, thanks for sharing that. Wonderful post. Great to read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks, it was a pleasure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm

I used to almost burst with excitement when I heard this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncrete Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:44 pm

The first time I went I was sat in the Trinity it was 1975 against Burnley which finished in a 1-1 draw and watching in awe the Holte end erupted when we scored.

Also being squashed like a sardine in the Holte when we beat Barcelona in the second leg of the Uefa Super Cup Final.

The Holte's last stand and many more happy memories, could do with a few more of those great days.
Roncrete
Roncrete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm

We certainly could Ron.

Back to top Go down

Post by bootneck Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:59 pm

pooligan wrote:I have loads of unforegettable  moments .One that comes to mind instantly ,is the winning goal by Pat McMahon in the League Cup Semi Final second leg match against Man Utd .At the time we were a third division team and that United team included the likes of Best,Charlton and Law. At the end of the game, Villa were actually in a cup Final at Wembley for the first time in my life .I have never forgot that moment

All you could hear outside the ground on the way there was "Andy, Andy Lockhead, Andy Lockhead in the air"

See also my post v Bournemouth.  3rd Div with 48,000 crowd.  Great days,
bootneck
bootneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Classof13 Tue May 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Been watching some season review from early 2000's how good was Merson...... that last minute goal at Everton was class; exactly the type of player we need now.

Last edited by Classof13 on Tue May 20, 2014 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Classof13
Classof13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Classof13 wrote:Been watching some season review from early 2000's how good was Merson...... that last minute goal at Everton was class; exactly the type of player we need now.

Agreed. Merson was really good for Villa. I think we may just have got the best out of him in fact. I was there for a home game against Charlton in 2000 and I think he is the best player I have seen live in a Villa shirt to be honest. He'd get into any villa team of the past 20 years in my opinion.

Looking back at those season reviews Villa boy has uploaded to youtube really underlines how dramatic our decline has been.

Back to top Go down

Post by Classof13 Thu May 22, 2014 5:33 am

Farrell_10 wrote:
Classof13 wrote:Been watching some season review from early 2000's how good was Merson...... that last minute goal at Everton was class; exactly the type of player we need now.

Agreed. Merson was really good for Villa. I think we may just have got the best out of him in fact. I was there for a home game against Charlton in 2000 and I think he is the best player I have seen live in a Villa shirt to be honest. He'd get into any villa team of the past 20 years in my opinion.

Looking back at those season reviews Villa boy has uploaded to youtube really underlines how dramatic our decline has been.

Taylor got rid of Merse too easily he had a couple of decent seasons at Pompey after he left us.
Classof13
Classof13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 22, 2014 6:18 am

Merson used to play up the away fans in the Lower Noth Stand (Witton End to some of us). He would place the ball a yard outside the D when taking a corner. They would all howl and Merse would bring the ball back and have a good laugh about it. We were fortunate to have someone of his ability in our side. What a brilliant player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum