The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm going to be interested to see how Sunderland do, they're in a similar position to us last season just without the cash. With no really good attacking players (in the sense that we started the season with Kodjia, Gestede, Ayew and McCormack up front) they might really struggle. Out of any clubs in the PL I felt more affinity to Sunderland as they were in the same situation as us, scraping along trying to avoid relegation every season with no real investment. It seems they might be more likely to do a Wigan or Wolves than a Newcastle.

I feel quite relaxed about our chances this season. I've almost persuaded myself that Bruce might be able to get us out of the Championship (but only by injecting a few more players who know what they're doing into the team) and he'll be swiftly replaced by someone with more of a clue. We have some great players, Kodjia makes goals out of nowhere, Green has made a case for himself (on the left, not yet sure about the right) and so on.

I don't know if we can win it, but I don't really know who else is better than us. Looking forward to going to the Reading match in a couple of weeks time.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Talking of Sunderland, they're now being linked with Hutton, McCormack and Elphick, all seems a bit unlikely to me though, given the wages of McCormack and Hutton, unless we'd be prepared to pay a percentage, but doubt that, with Xia in charge.

I think Grayson is a good manager and he might do alright for them, but the signings they've made so far aren't very inspiring.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Sunderland trashed by Celtic today. Wonder if it will speed up the McCormack business.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Sunderland are as bad as we were. But they don't have a Dr to save them.
I'm not sure they will even survive the championship, they are in total free fall
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:56 pm

So it was interesting to see that Wolves are playing 343 by the looks of it whilst Norwich are playing 532. Reports suggest Wolves were impressive today against Leicester with their Portuguese stars. Although they are still missing a top striker and that's what could hurt them in the end. I recall them starting last season very well too with "flair" and exciting football, but it all went to pot in the end.

Brentford continue to impress. Beat Celta Vigo today 2-1. Although Reading lost 3-2 to Vitese after being 3-0 down. Derby lost too and Boro nicked a late win at home.

In closing Fulham appear to be having a few issues behind the scenes. Their manager has come out today and moaned about the transfer dealings. Suggesting he hasn't had much input!!. They also lost heavily today aswell.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Mirror reporting that Wolves are going to bid £20m for Andre Gray.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:50 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Mirror reporting that Wolves are going to bid £20m for Andre Gray.

LOL and pigs flew in the sky tonight Laughing
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:03 am

Interesting to see the boro fans view about our prospects of promotion HERE. They seem to have more confidence in the villa than many of us do Laughing .
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by villajk on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:18 pm

to me seems wolves could be a real threat esp if they get gray, seem to be buying players at the right age, they are not short of money

villajk

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Before we consider other teams a threat, we've got to be a threat ourselves, at the moment, I'm still not convinced we're going to score enough goals with Bruce in charge.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by villajk on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:26 pm

true

villajk

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Before we consider other teams a threat, we've got to be a threat ourselves, at the moment, I'm still not convinced we're going to score enough goals with Bruce in charge.

I believe we will bring in two more attacking players tbh. We have to. And hopefully, that will take our attack to the next level. Although tbh with the defence that we have, I'd still back us to be right up there either way because just two years ago as seen HERE, Boro got promoted after scoring just 63 goals. Which was the least of the top six. But their defence was best which made the difference in the end.

And in closing, I'd like to mention the two runs we had under Bruce that should give us hope.

First run of results

Wolves at home= 1-1 draw
Reading away= 2-1 win
Fulham at home= 1-0 win
Birmingham away= 1-1 draw
Blackburn at home 2-1 win
Brighton away= 1-1 draw
Cardiff at home= 3-1 win
Leeds away= 2-0 loss
Wigan at home= 1-0 win
Norwich away= 1-0 loss
QPR away= 1-0 win
Burton at home= 2-1 win
Leeds at home= 1-1 draw

Played= 13
Won= 7
Lost= 2
Drew= 4
Scored= 16
Conceded= 11
Clean sheets= 3
Games we failed to score= 2
Points= 25

Second run of results

Derby at home 1-0 win
Bristol at home= 2-0 win
Rotherham away= 2-0 win
Huddersfield away= 1-0 loss
Sheffield Wednesday at home= 2-0 win
Wigan away= 2-0 win
Norwich at home= 2-0 win
QPR at home= 1-0 win
Burton away= 1-1 draw
Reading at home= 3-1 loss
Fulham away= 3-1 loss
Birmingham at home= 1-0 win
Blackburn away= 1-0 loss
Brighton at home= 1-1 draw

Played= 14
Won= 8
Lost= 4
Drew= 2
Scored= 17
Conceded= 10
Clean sheets= 8
Games we failed to score= 2
Points= 26

So let's add both of those runs up.

Played= 27
Won= 15
Lost= 6
Drew= 6
Scored= 33
Conceded= 21
Clean sheets= 13
Games we failed to score= 4
Points= 51

What's clear is when we got on a roll we were hard to stop. The key is not allowing our poor runs of form to last for much longer than four or so games. The two poor runs we had were simply too much to overcome over the course of a season. The first one under RDM we won one in twelve, and the second one under Bruce we lost seven out of eight games. We avoid runs like those next season then I have no doubts that we will be top six for sure.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am

It's funny how a lot of Wolves fans are claiming how "rich" they are with all their signings. But the truth kind of paints a different picture.

They signed thirteen players this season...this is the list

Neves= 15m
Douglas= 1m
Miranda= 2.5m
Norris= 200k or less
Ruddy= free
Bennett= free
Ofosu-Ayeh= free
Goncalves= free
Hanne= free
Boly= loan
Vinagre= loan
Jota= loan
Bonatini= loan

Total spend= 18.7m

Then they've sold about 5m worth of talent. Which means their real outlay has been in the 13m mark this summer. So basically Mendes gets Wolves to make on significant signing in the window i.e Costa and Neves. All with the idea of putting them in the English shop window and making a profit somewhere down the line. Then, he uses his contacts to bring as much of his clients on loan to Wolves as possible as their whole budget has just been spent on one player.

And this is what they did last year too. They got in Costa on loan and signed Cavaliho for seven million. Then padded the squad with loans and other cheap 1m and 2m signings. Then in January, seeing how well Costa was doing, they made that deal permanent. They have not spent a penny over 3m for a player who was not Portuguese or a Mendes client.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:23 pm

On that point do you think that Villa don't make enough of the loan market?

Personally I don't think we do make enough of an effort to utilise the loan market.
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Buying one star player and lots of cheap ones sounds like the last few years of Lerner's tenure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ruben-neves-wolves-fc-wolverhampton-wanderers-porto-a7828671.html
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Just read this: They (Norwich) have brought in Stuart Webber – the man behind David Wagner’s appointment at Huddersfield – as sporting director and he has brought in Wagner’s Borussia Dortmund B successor Daniel Farke as head coach.

Curious as to how well Norwich will do.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Wolves to finish above Aston Villa and Birmingham City - 'Super Computer' predicts final Championship table

A so-called 'Super Computer' has predicted the outcome of the Championship season - here are the results
ByAlex Dicken

Wolverhampton Wanderers will finish above Aston Villa and Birmingham City in the Championship next season, according to a so-called ‘Super Computer’.

talkSPORT have simulated the Championship season to predict the outcome of what promises to be an intriguing tussle in English football’s second tier.

And Wolves, who made their 11th signing of the summer yesterday in the form of Brazilian forward Leo Bonatini, have been backed to come out on top.

Wolves are predicted to finish in second spot behind Garry Monk’s Middlesbrough, who are thought by many to be promotion favourites.

Nuno Espirito Santo’s men just pipped Steve Bruce’s Aston Villa, who finished in third spot with Fulham, Norwich City and Sheffield Wednesday also in the play-off spots.

Harry Redknapp’s Birmingham City, who are expected to be the busiest of the West Midlands’ three second tier clubs in the final month of the transfer window, finished in 13th position.
Full table:

1 Middlesbrough
2 Wolves
3 Aston Villa
4 Fulham
5 Norwich City
6 Sheffield Wednesday
7 Leeds United
8 Brentford
9 Reading
10 Hull City
11 Derby County
12 Nottingham Forest
13 Birmingham City
14 Cardiff City
15 Sheffield United
16 QPR
17 Sunderland
18 Preston
19 Barnsley
20 Ipswich Town
21 Bolton Wanderers
22 Millwall
23 Burton Albion
24 Bristol City
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm willing to bet my left nut that wolves won't even make play offs.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm

So a new season got under way at the weekend so how did our rivals look?

Sunderland and Derby played out a 1-1 draw. I must say Sunderland looked better than I expected. Lots of fight and spirit about them. And they created quite a few chances. Defensively though they looked vulnerable. Derby had a lot of nice touches and really should have scored at least three, but they too looked vulnerable at the back and really did miss Ince and Hughes imo.

Wednesday got beat at Preston and by all accounts were very bad. Not gonna go overboard though as their squad have been together for three years and they know this league inside, out. Once they get going they should be up there I think.

Fulham and Norwich played out an entertaining 1-1 draw. Fulham looked exactly like they did last year really. Created loads of chances but still gave the opposition chances aswell. Norwich hung on and had a lot of decent chances themselves. Both looked decent.

Reading, perhaps surprisingly, lost 2-0 at QPR. Word is it could have been much more too. With them struggling to sign players and the departures of good players this summer I said previously that I'm not sure they will challenge at all. Like Wednesday though I guess we'll have to see what transpires over the next few games.

Wolves beat Boro 1-0. Saw the highlights of this game and my word what a mess up by that Boro defender!!. In truth Boro, though not overly impressive, missed two or three sitters. Wolves pretty much had one chance and that was it. Now the Wolves lot are acting like they are gonna win the title!!! Very Happy . I did hear that though Boro had the better chances, they played like "expensive individuals", wasn't that accusation levelled at us last season? Infact this game was literally like our opening game at Wednesday last season.

Leeds beat Bolton 3-2. From the sides I saw at the weekend Leeds looked most decent tbh. They passed the ball well and attacked with flair. But once again defensively they looked unsettled. Pontus was suspended so maybe they'll tighten up once he returns.

And lastly, Brentford lost to Sheff United. Tough game to start out for the Bees and in all honesty they had a lot of chances but just couldn't bury them. Like Fulham, their style is exactly the same as last year so I still expect them to cause a lot of problems for most teams tbh.

So, all in all, it was a mixed start to the season as far as our expected rivals are concerned. No-one really stood out though which isn't a bad thing at this early stage as the closer the teams are the better for us.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 pm

I've just looked at the table and we're already five points behind four teams, unless we get a result on Tuesday, some of those teams could stretch the gap to eight points, it's early days, but once the point difference gets into double figures it's hard to turn things around, so we need to do what we need to do asap, before we need to perform a miracle to have succesful campaign.

Also I see Sunderland won 3-1 today away at Norwich, they've been written off, but we haven't had a result as good as that, whilst in the Championship, despite all the money we've spent.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I've just looked at the table and we're already five points behind four teams, unless we get a result on Tuesday, some of those teams could stretch the gap to eight points, it's early days, but once the point difference gets into double figures it's hard to turn things around, so we need to do what we need to do asap, before we need to perform a miracle to have succesful campaign.

Also I see Sunderland won 3-1 today away at Norwich, they've been written off, but we haven't had a result as good as that, whilst in the Championship, despite all the money we've spent.

Sunderland have a decent manager, others here were writing them off when I was saying they'll be up there. I think Xia has a problem because whoever is advising is not very good imo
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:31 pm

I had a look on their forum when Grayson was appointed and most of them seemed to be distraught, not sure why, he's a better bet the usual 'famous managers' on the managerial conveyor belt they usually go for.

I have my doubts about his advisors too, and am worried that if Bruce goes, we'll just bring in another old school british manager, meaning essentially we will just be repeating the same mistake and going around in circles.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm

I normally don't mind Wolves but I hope they start losing soon, their fans seem to think they're Real Madrid all of a sudden; they're getting way ahead of themselves, you'd think thirty games had been played rather than three. A lot of them also seem to be under the notion that because they've beaten teams like Derby, Middlesbrough and Hull, that it automatically means they'll thrash less fancied teams.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 pm

To be fair they've suffered a lot of dross over the years and I personally don't begrudge them some crowing. I've always liked Wolves, not only cos they are one of the decent old clubs, but also because they hate the baggies and the knuckle draggers.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:44 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I normally don't mind Wolves but I hope they start losing soon, their fans seem to think they're Real Madrid all of a sudden; they're getting way ahead of themselves, you'd think thirty games had been played rather than three. A lot of them also seem to be under the notion that because they've beaten teams like Derby, Middlesbrough and Hull, that it automatically means they'll thrash less fancied teams.

LOL they're the most deluded bunch of pr/cks I've ever seen. "We've got the fourth richest owners"...."W'ere gonna be champions" blah blah blah Laughing . It's pathetic but let them revel in their fifteen minutes of fame. Being slaves to Mendes may work out for them in the short term, but we'll soon see if this "Portuguese reserve player" policy can cut it over the course of a whole season. It's easy to knock the ball around when the sun is shining and teams aren't fully in their stride, but once the winter hits and the games keep coming thick and fast, THEN we'll see if that Wolves side can cut it. I've watched most of the highlights of their games and the chances both Boro and Hull missed were criminal tbh. And you make a good point about lesser opposition. Firstly, we took points off of Newcastle, Brighton (twice), Reading (beat them), Huddersfield, Wednesday (beat them), Fulham (beat them), Derby (twice including one win), Norwich (beat them) and Leeds. So virtually most of the top teams in the division. And where did it get us? Ipswich and Cardiff have had similar starts to them FFS. Granted, they do look decent right now, but like I said, let's see where they are December. They still have to face Fulham, Norwich, Villa, Sunderland, Wednesday, Leeds, Reading etc. And the luck will not always be on their side.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum