The Bells Are Ringing


WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!


Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Fri May 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Just thought I'd get this thread started in preparation for next season Very Happy . We can go through some transfer rumours from the other sides, new coaches etc and discuss the lay of the land before the big kick-off in August.

So so far Norwich have just appointed Dortmund reserve manager Daniel Farke. It's not surprise really as Norwich nicked Huddersfield's technical director during last season, the same bloke who appointed David Wagner from the Dortmund reserves aswell. So he clearly has a philosophy where appointing managers is concerned. Norwich were on fire towards the end of last season and were scoring goals for fun. The problem is they kept conceding goals aswell and I wonder what are the odds of TWO consecutive Dortmund reserve managers coming in and both hitting the ground running? I'm not sure.

Gary Monk has just left Leeds which is good news I think. Not sure they would have had as good a season as they just did but nevertheless Gary is a decent coach so for them to lose him now is a blow I think. Can't see them getting a better manager tbh.

Marco Silva has also left Hull which is no surprise. So already Hull are starting the season on the backfoot. Also gonna be interesting to see if they can hang onto some of their better players like Robertson, Hernandez etc.

Wolves are apparently talking to a former Porto coach although isn't Lambert still in his position? Word is he doesn't want Mendes buying all the players again, so Wolves are looking at bringing in another puppet who will work with what he's given.

Meanwhile, Carlos Carvalhal is set to stay on at Sheff Wed. Tbh they are the team we should be concerned about. They are a settled side who have pushed for two seasons in a row. They've got that "Brighton" feel about them imo. If they add some decent talent in this window they'll be right up there I think. Derby are another team who are settled aswell and will have a clear plan this summer without any turmoil. Fulham too will be settled but I just wonder if they'll be able to be as effective as they were last season? Especially as many of their better players were loan signings.

And in closing Boro are said to be looking at Nigel Pearson as their new gaffer while Sunderland have been linked with Karanka. We'll see what transpires in the weeks ahead and as the season gets closer we'll be able to see who's gonna be our biggest challengers.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by Joppe84 on Mon May 29, 2017 5:53 pm

Huddersfield just got promoted. Kinda great.
avatar
Joppe84



Posts : 3431
Reputation : 2932
Join date : 2015-06-17
Location : Oslo

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon May 29, 2017 6:01 pm

I think it would have been better for us, for Reading to have been promoted, they have wealthy new owners and so will probably be a threat again next season. Whereas, Huddersfield if they had lost today, would have probably lost Wagner and dropped off considerably next season.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1943
Reputation : 1338
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Tue May 30, 2017 1:21 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I think it would have been better for us, for Reading to have been promoted, they have wealthy new owners and so will probably be a threat again next season. Whereas, Huddersfield if they had lost today, would have probably lost Wagner and dropped off considerably next season.

The new Reading owners failed to buy Hull City before they got Reading. And they are notoriously tight with their money when it comes to running their other football club in China. So I ain't worried about them tbh.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by NARLA24 on Tue May 30, 2017 11:26 am

To be truthfull guys and girls i think we are in for much of the same next season.
Dinosaur for a manager, nothing will change.
Not looking forward to it at all. Another mid table finish i think unless we can get a Wagner, Stam type manager in.
The Championship next year is going to be one hell of a league and i just dont think we will feature much at all.
Hope i am wrong, we will see. If Bruce has been to progressive managers school during the summer, instead of the turgid shite we had last season then we might just stand a chance.
avatar
NARLA24



Posts : 2348
Reputation : 1754
Join date : 2014-09-26
Age : 47
Location : Working to bloody hard

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by DelboyVilla on Tue May 30, 2017 2:17 pm

@NARLA24 wrote:To be truthfull guys and girls i think we are in for much of the same next season.
Dinosaur for a manager, nothing will change.
Not looking forward to it at all. Another mid table finish i think unless we can get a Wagner, Stam type manager in.
The Championship next year is going to be one hell of a league and i just dont think we will feature much at all.
Hope i am wrong, we will see. If Bruce has been to progressive managers school during the summer, instead of the turgid shite we had last season then we might just stand a chance.

Totally agree Narla until Bruce goes we are in permanent stagnation!

DelboyVilla



Posts : 1048
Reputation : 1271
Join date : 2014-05-14
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Tue May 30, 2017 3:41 pm

I want the bloke gone too. But let's not totally be blinded but it aye? Our finish to the season was dominant until we had nothing to play for. If we can start the season off in a similar fashion then I see no-one stopping us tbh...regardless of whether Bruce is here or not.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by Joppe84 on Tue May 30, 2017 4:02 pm

I think we will be great. Just hope Kodjia gets 100%.
avatar
Joppe84



Posts : 3431
Reputation : 2932
Join date : 2015-06-17
Location : Oslo

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by Saunders82 on Tue May 30, 2017 7:58 pm

@NARLA24 wrote:To be truthfull guys and girls i think we are in for much of the same next season.
Dinosaur for a manager, nothing will change.
Not looking forward to it at all. Another mid table finish i think unless we can get a Wagner, Stam type manager in.
The Championship next year is going to be one hell of a league and i just dont think we will feature much at all.
Hope i am wrong, we will see. If Bruce has been to progressive managers school during the summer, instead of the turgid shite we had last season then we might just stand a chance.

Sorry Narla24 can't agree there I think everyone at Villa Park knows that the time is NOW, even allowing for Brucies input I think we will hit the ground at pace and accelerate away, I also think that if big mack has got his head on straight and wants to give it a go then him & Hogan can bring out the best in each other. Plus we have the unknown players we will add in the summer, onwards and upwards IMO. Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana
avatar
Saunders82



Posts : 681
Reputation : 589
Join date : 2014-04-17
Age : 67
Location : Birmingham UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Wed May 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Wolves have confirmed Nuno Espírito Santo, who was at Porto last season, as their new boss. Looks like Ryan Bennett is going to be their first signing.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1943
Reputation : 1338
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Wed May 31, 2017 3:16 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Wolves have confirmed Nuno Espírito Santo, who was at Porto last season, as their new boss. Looks like Ryan Bennett is going to be their first signing.

Sacked at both Valencia and Porto!!..also prepared to be a puppet for Jorge Mendes by the looks of it.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by andrew24561 on Wed May 31, 2017 7:49 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Wolves have confirmed Nuno Espírito Santo, who was at Porto last season, as their new boss. Looks like Ryan Bennett is going to be their first signing.

Ex goalkeeper apparently and as a rule goalies make poor managers.
avatar
andrew24561



Posts : 245
Reputation : 301
Join date : 2014-04-16
Age : 56
Location : sutton coldfield

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:08 am

To be fair he got Valencia to fourth and they've struggled since he left, and although Porto sacked him, he'd only lost two games in the league all season and got them to within a couple of points from winning the league, the season before (when he wasn't there) they were fifteen points off the top.

Also their owners I buying a Rio Ave for £20M from the The Primeira Liga in Portugal... We haven't heard much about Recon's plans to buy other clubs in recent times.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1943
Reputation : 1338
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by The Utterer on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 am

I still think Wolves will be one of our main rivals next season. They have the financial clout for sure and now a manager who fits their multi-club system most likely. Hopefully they will be a year behind us but it isn't guaranteed and they were actually a better footballing team than us last season by some distance i'd say from what i saw.
avatar
The Utterer



Posts : 1112
Reputation : 1119
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:50 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:To be fair he got Valencia to fourth and they've struggled since he left, and although Porto sacked him, he'd only lost two games in the league all season and got them to within a couple of points from winning the league, the season before (when he wasn't there) they were fifteen points off the top.

Also their owners I buying a Rio Ave for £20M from the The Primeira Liga in Portugal... We haven't heard much about Recon's plans to buy other clubs in recent times.

Failing at Porto is like not winning the title in Scotland!!..the guy had all the tools there and failed imo. Also, Fosun hasn't bought Rio Ave, it's just speculation at this point. And even if they do, all it would do is create problems for them should Rio Ave get into Europe and Wolves rise up too!!..as you can't own two clubs in European competitions. This is why Man City's folks bought Australian, American and Brazilian teams.

And in closing, yes they may have decent funds, but so do we. Tony spent 80 odd mill and Fosun spent about 27m...big difference. They are merely using their links with Mendes to get in a few high profile folks...Cavalero, Costa and Nuno Santo are all Mendes clients.


Last edited by AstonThriller on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 am

Ultimately he failed because Porto's target is to always win the league, but he did improve them at least. Managing Wolves will be a different thing though, so will have to see how he does the pressure is already on, as apparently Fosun have come out and said that they're expecting automatic promotion.

I was just mentioning the Rio Ave thing in passing, wasn't meant as any kind of evidence that Wolves are going to be a force all of a sudden. If it was Xia buying another club I'd prefer it to be a club outside of Europe, need concentrate on sorting ourselves first though.

Back on Wolves I see their first signing is Ryan Bennett, which seems strange, I'm sure they had one of worst defences in the league.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1943
Reputation : 1338
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:17 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Ultimately he failed because Porto's target is to always win the league, but he did improve them at least. Managing Wolves will be a different thing though, so will have to see how he does the pressure is already on, as apparently Fosun have come out and said that they're expecting automatic promotion.

I was just mentioning the Rio Ave thing in passing, wasn't meant as any kind of evidence that Wolves are going to be a force all of a sudden. If it was Xia buying another club I'd prefer it to be a club outside of Europe, need concentrate on sorting ourselves first though.

Back on Wolves I see their first signing is Ryan Bennett, which seems strange, I'm sure they had one of worst defences in the league.

Yep, Norwich leaked goals left, right and centre which put paid to their promotion hopes, so this is a strange move. Although tbh it's not a surprise as if you look at their business last season most of the signings bar Costa and Cavalaro were either loan deals or low fees!!!..

Anyway just looking around the other teams forums and I must say I'm happy to report that most of them think we'll be in the top two come may. Sunderland, Fulham, Reading, Wednesday, Boro, Derby etc!!..many of their fans have us as certs to go up. I dunno if this "favourites" tag will hinder or inspire us tbh!!!..I sure hope it's the latter.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by Joppe84 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:40 pm

I keep reading Champions League rivals Sad
avatar
Joppe84



Posts : 3431
Reputation : 2932
Join date : 2015-06-17
Location : Oslo

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by smetro on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:35 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:To be fair he got Valencia to fourth and they've struggled since he left, and although Porto sacked him, he'd only lost two games in the league all season and got them to within a couple of points from winning the league, the season before (when he wasn't there) they were fifteen points off the top.

Also their owners I buying a Rio Ave for £20M from the The Primeira Liga in Portugal... We haven't heard much about Recon's plans to buy other clubs in recent times.

He seems more of a head coach than a manager in his role at wolves. I am not sure the head coach role works at larger clubs - and there is far to much meddling behind the scenes at wolves. Don't think they will be a force next season.
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2506
Reputation : 1465
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 am

I think if they can hang on to Costa, keep Graham fit, and strengthen the spine of the team then they'll have a chance of doing well. A lot of ifs though, so will have to wait and see how the summer goes.

I think the Championship is pretty hard to predict next season, as at the moment I don't think there's any team who you could guarantee will do well, we should be one such team, but unfortunately with the way we were last season, there's still doubt as to whether we can turn things around.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1943
Reputation : 1338
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:00 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I think if they can hang on to Costa, keep Graham fit, and strengthen the spine of the team then they'll have a chance of doing well. A lot of ifs though, so will have to wait and see how the summer goes.

I think the Championship is pretty hard to predict next season, as at the moment I don't think there's any team who you could guarantee will do well, we should be one such team, but unfortunately with the way we were last season, there's still doubt as to whether we can turn things around.

We won eight of the last thirteen games last season which should surely give us hope? If we're able to add quality to the squad this summer then I see no reason whatsoever why we shouldn't storm this division tbh.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:37 am

We aren't without hope, but the one reason that we might not storm the division or even make a serious challenge at all is Bruce. Just have to hope that he can sort the team out (on the training pitch) over the summer; from what I saw, his Hull team weren't actually that bad to watch and had some pretty impressive attacking stats I think, so that's one thing to give hope.


deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1943
Reputation : 1338
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 am

Back on topic... Hull are set to announce Leonid Slutsky as their new manager.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1943
Reputation : 1338
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by Joppe84 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:54 pm

I thought you were taking the piss, but that's his actual name
avatar
Joppe84



Posts : 3431
Reputation : 2932
Join date : 2015-06-17
Location : Oslo

Back to top Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread 2017/18

Post by AstonThriller on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:46 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:We aren't without hope, but the one reason that we might not storm the division or even make a serious challenge at all is Bruce. Just have to hope that he can sort the team out (on the training pitch) over the summer; from what I saw, his Hull team weren't actually that bad to watch and had some pretty impressive attacking stats I think, so that's one thing to give hope.

He'll have the first 6-8 games to prove his worth imo. The board won't allow him to completely ruin the season. So I think it's a "win win" situation for us. He either gets it right or he's gone. I see us getting over the line regardless of whether he's here or not tbh because the quality we have should be enough in the end.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1699
Reputation : 1599
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum