The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Summer transfer window 2017/18

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Summer transfer window 2017/18

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun May 14, 2017 10:41 pm

I wouldn't say Adomah and Hogan are exactly struggling at this level. In the Championship only Hourihane has more assists than Adomah; and whilst I'd like us to get someone better, as a winger that's hardly a sign of someone struggling, I think if Bruce set us up more positively he's get a few more goals as well. As for Hogan as a striker he's scored 15 goals and that's with him missing months of the season.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Sun May 14, 2017 11:58 pm

I also am now expecting an extended stay in this division. Our hopes of spending big and buying our way out failed miserably and now as Smetrov says we are on a level par with the rest just with amazing facilities and fanbase. The history counts for little in this division however as there are others with big history too.

It appears we have indeed spent 3 seasons worth of budget regards FFP and sadly our former premier league players, unlike Newcastle's for example, were not up to scratch even at this level (Gabby, Gardner, Bacuna, Cissokho etc) or after relegation didn't want to play for us anymore (Traore, Clark, Gil, Veretout & co) Others we moved on of course (Westwood, Guzan, Gestede etc)

Compare this with Newcastle and it's chalk & cheese so no wonder we struggled.

So we are where we are and i see a bunch of players who are nowhere near forming a solid team as yet. There has been a lot of disruption. A staggering number of changes to the team & personnel. Injuries to key players at key times, a touch of bad luck, poor management for sure occasionally. A lot of this you get at every club but hey ho.

We do have some things going for us however. We have some very good players. Some who will surely get better as they settle and the team settles. We have a good owner too and of course fabulous support. The main thing though and for me the thing which will give us a huge boost next season is our young players coming through. They are priceless in my opinion and "IF" they get a chance, which they may well do now with FFP biting, i do believe they could be the missing ingredient for us. Our team looked stale and dull to me last year despite all the incomings. A splash of youthful, fearless exuberance could just be the glue which knits this team together.
We have some fabulous youngsters coming through
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 am

@smetro wrote: A rolling 1 year contract doesnt end. It always has a year to run.

Of course, but at that years end it means the club will able to walk away without having to cough up major compo does it not? Or would the compo be the same if he was sacked now?
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 am

Usually a rolling one year contract means that it always has a year left to run, so whenever he's sacked he'll be due one year's compensation; when he signed he was reported to be on £3M a year, so presumably that's how much he will be due, but of course there could additional conditions written into the specifics of Bruce's deal.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Mon May 15, 2017 10:03 am

Sooooo look what I found lads......

STEVE BRUCE: 'NO BIG ASTON VILLA SPENDING IN JANUARY'

By Neil Wilkes

December 16, 2016

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has said that there will not be "a huge big influx" of new players in the January transfer window.

The club have moved closer to playoff contention under Bruce, picking up 18 points from his first 10 games in charge following his arrival at Villa Park in October.

Under predecessor Roberto Di Matteo and new owner Dr Tony Xia, the Villans brought in nine new players - including Ross McCormack for £12m and Jonathan Kodjia for £15m - but Bruce is expecting only a handful of arrivals during his first transfer window in charge.

"I can't see there being a huge big influx or big mass exodus either," Bruce told the Birmingham Mail. "I don't think January is the time for that. There's one or two ticking away right now and one we have verbally agreed one. That looks as if it could happen.

"The club spent a lot in the summer, they spent a lot in the previous summer. It is not the answer of saying 'oh January is here lets pile in another six or seven players,' I won't work like that. I have said to the players it is up to them to show me they can play and take the club forward.

"If there is one or two we can bring in that can improve us, then it is my job to try and improve us. But we have got to be patient. Some of them have only been here three or four months. They need time to adjust and I think that is the biggest challenge they have got, adapting to playing for Aston Villa. No disrespect to all the other clubs in the division, apart from Newcastle, they have not got the expectation this club has got with the history and tradition it has got and the surroundings it has got, the support it has got."

Bruce previously revealed that he was closing in on two new signings, believed to be Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone and Arsenal right-back Carl Jenkinson.
LINK

Then we went and signed SEVEN new players for over 20m pounds Very Happy ...What's that song? Oh yeah!!!.."We've said this before!!..we've said this beforrrrrreeeee!!..we're Aston Villa...we've said this before!!" Scarf Waving

Personally, I think we'll get in some loans but I still think we'll spend a few bob as I believe we'll generate at least 15-20m from sales this summer. And that should be a good enough to get it the "three or four quality players" Bruce has been talking about. We also have to remember the players who are out of contract this summer...Joe Ledley being one of them.

With the three teams coming down not being as good as Newcastle, I think this is a massive chance for us and I can't see the club wasting it. Xia knows that getting up next season is crucial so I'm sure he will not let FFP bog us down this summer.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Mon May 15, 2017 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Mon May 15, 2017 10:04 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Usually a rolling one year contract means that it always has a year left to run, so whenever he's sacked he'll be due one year's compensation; when he signed he was reported to be on £3M a year, so presumably that's how much he will be due, but of course there could additional conditions written into the specifics of Bruce's deal.

Bloody hell 3m? Isn't that what the likes of Eck, Lambert, Sherwood etc got whilst managing in the premiership?
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm

@AstonThriller wrote:
@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Usually a rolling one year contract means that it always has a year left to run, so whenever he's sacked he'll be due one year's compensation; when he signed he was reported to be on £3M a year, so presumably that's how much he will be due, but of course there could additional conditions written into the specifics of Bruce's deal.

Bloody hell 3m? Isn't that what the likes of Eck, Lambert, Sherwood etc got whilst managing in the premiership?

If true is probably more, because it is rolling contract. RDM probably walked away with more for 4 months 'work'
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot on Mon May 15, 2017 4:38 pm

And we wonder how we've been hit by FFP. Mismanagement at this club over 6 years has caught up with us. Simple.
Gordonsleftboot

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon May 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Bruce has come out and reiterated that he wants three or four signings, and the ones he's suggesting are Premier league players, who will cost a lot of money. I'm just hoping that by Premier league he doesn't mean the likes of Elmohamady, Larsson, Cattermole et al.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Mon May 15, 2017 9:58 pm

@AstonThriller wrote:So Percy is claiming Bruce has to "sell buy" HERE. With the Moxley also adding his two cents HERE

I thought Wyness claimed we were "Ok" with FFP at a fans meeting? Anyway  I did wonder if the board would trust Bruce with the money this summer tbh...and now it looks like they've got the perfect excuse. Because let's remember what "VillansHo" said just a few weeks ago HERE!!...what has changed from then to now? Seemed like they were keen on spending a few bob so maybe they really are having doubts about Bruce?

If that's not the case and it's purely down to FFP then I'd expect a lot of players to be sold. Elphick, Amavi, Richards, Veretout, Gil, Gardner and Cissokho being the obvious ones. That should fetch at least 25m I'd hope.  

For a journalist of Percy's supposed standing, this statement is an embarrassment:

New rules dictate that clubs can lose up to £83 million over the course of three seasons

How can a so-called football journalist not know that the figure of £83M does not apply to all clubs? Leeds Utd, for example, are certainly not allowed to lose £83M over 3 seasons, as they have been a Championship club for the last 3 seasons.

Yes, FFP rules are a bit convoluted but if your job is to write about football you should be all over this stuff.

Modern football journalism, like all other forms of journalism it seems, is not judged on accuracy but on the number of mouse clicks it gets.

Given that we are their Number One Obsession, Percy would probably have earned a 6-figure bonus based on clicks from Newcastle fans alone.
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 pm

@AstonThriller wrote:So Percy is claiming Bruce has to "sell buy" HERE. With the Moxley also adding his two cents HERE

I thought Wyness claimed we were "Ok" with FFP at a fans meeting? Anyway  I did wonder if the board would trust Bruce with the money this summer tbh...and now it looks like they've got the perfect excuse. Because let's remember what "VillansHo" said just a few weeks ago HERE!!...what has changed from then to now? Seemed like they were keen on spending a few bob so maybe they really are having doubts about Bruce?

If that's not the case and it's purely down to FFP then I'd expect a lot of players to be sold. Elphick, Amavi, Richards, Veretout, Gil, Gardner and Cissokho being the obvious ones. That should fetch at least 25m I'd hope.  

In fact Moxley is slightly more accurate, in that he states that Villa are allowed to lose £83M, which is true, for us, for seasons 14/15, 15/16 & 16/17.

It actually looks like Percy has copied Moxley but got it crucially wrong.

Moxley still omits the following key facts:

1) We can't be penalised this year as we have immunity

2) Punishment in the first instance is a transfer embargo, which he doesn't mention as it's not sensationalist enough for the Shit-rag he writes for.  

3) Points docking is an extreme sanction for clubs who refuse to submit accounts

4) Losses shown on the accounts are not the same as losses reported in an FFP statement because for the accounts all expenditure is shown, whereas in an FFP Statement some expenditure is exempt (stadium/youth/women's football development etc)

5) He has pulled the £1M figure out of his fat arse.

Either that or Wyness told him that figure in the hope that he prints it, in an effort to stop other clubs trying to rip us off.

I can just see our Keith trying not to piss himself laughing as Moxley takes out his colouring book & crayon and eagerly scribbles down "1 milion", before running out the door!

As if we'd really tell that dozy sugarbag what we had to spend!  
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon May 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Being linked to Marley Watkins, apparently scored ten goals last season and had as nearly as many assists.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Tue May 16, 2017 8:21 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Being linked to Marley Watkins, apparently scored ten goals last season and had as nearly as many assists.

This ones a 'goer' in my opinion.
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Tue May 16, 2017 9:24 am

His contract runs out at Barnsley on the 5th June, so nothing officially will happen before that date.
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Bruce has come out and reiterated that he wants three or four signings, and the ones he's suggesting are Premier league players, who will cost a lot of money. I'm just hoping that by Premier league he doesn't mean the likes of Elmohamady, Larsson, Cattermole et al.

You are likely to find it will EXACTLY the types of player you mention. You have to realise we're a mid table championship club, set your sights accordingly. This is the reality.
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue May 16, 2017 10:26 am

Buying from the Premier doesn't have to mean we go for the type I mention, i.e ageing players looking for a last big paycheck, and the examples I mention aren't even very good anyway; I nearly added Huddlestone, but then thought he might not be such a bad signing.

Besides if we're going down the Premier league route I'd not expect us to be going for first teamers of course; but as we've shown Chester, Taylor, De Laet were all gettable, and I'd say that they all improved us, something I don't think the players mentioned in the first paragraph would do.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue May 16, 2017 12:48 pm

With the above said, I think we really need to improve our scouting system, rather than just going for 'players who've won promotion', 'premier league quality', or the latest flavour of the moment championship players, and hoping that it works out.

There doesn't seem to be much of a plan at all to what we're doing, I'm not even sure who our scouts are at the moment, and what's going on with Round I have no idea, we hear nothing with regards to how his plans are taking shape.

Wyness said recently that we're going to be innovators and that clubs would be looking to copy us rather than the other way around, but I'm not seeing any evidence of this, in fact it feels rather more like we're being left behind.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue May 16, 2017 3:42 pm

@Dazzle wrote:
@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Bruce has come out and reiterated that he wants three or four signings, and the ones he's suggesting are Premier league players, who will cost a lot of money. I'm just hoping that by Premier league he doesn't mean the likes of Elmohamady, Larsson, Cattermole et al.

You are likely to find it will EXACTLY the types of player you mention. You have to realise we're a mid table championship club, set your sights accordingly. This is the reality.

We're as much a "midtable championship club" as Chelsea were a "midtable premiership club" just a year ago. We have the tools to get out of this division, it's just a matter of whether we have the manager to get it done.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue May 16, 2017 6:07 pm

WIth regards to raising money from player sales if you scroll down this daily mail  page it says that Swansea have to pay us an extra £5M for Jordan Ayew, presumably because they weren't relegated.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue May 16, 2017 7:19 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:WIth regards to raising money from player sales if you scroll down this daily mail  page it says that Swansea have to pay us an extra £5M for Jordan Ayew, presumably because they weren't relegated.

Good spot. So I wonder if that will go towards the summer transfer kitty along with the 2.5m we're apparently getting for Sanchez?
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't see why we wouldn't be spending it on new signings, unless it was already factored into the money we spent in January.

Besides I think this talk of having to sell to buy is probably being exaggerated, probably fueled by Xia talking about FFP after the articles were published, but he said pretty much the same thing last summer and probably before the winter window as well, and if you look at some of his recent tweets he's basically mocking what the media have been writing.

No doubt we'll want to get rid of a few before we bring more in, but I reckon we'll sign three or four quality players no matter what. I just think it's a question of who chooses them, I noticed that Bruce said he's 'pitched' certain players, and the word 'pitched' suggests to me that he might not have sole autonomy in that regard (which is why i'm finding the transfer competition quite difficult lol).

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Tue May 16, 2017 8:23 pm

We will probably spend a fair amount, if it's true that we will be exempted FFP next season.

Either way the important bit will be to get rid of the deadwood in the squad. We probably got 10 players on good wages that never play or isn't a good fit. Wouldn't be surprised if those ten players averaged Burton's entire wage budget.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Apparently we've bid for Mooy, along with a bunch of other clubs...

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/05/16/exclusive-newcastle-palace-table-bids-maestro-mooy

We probably won't get him, but I think it's a good sign that we're interest in a player of his type.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Thu May 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Wyness talking about the recent transfer budget talks and how we must do better, doesn't go into any great detail but here it is

Chief executive Keith Wyness says Aston Villa remain confident of making three or four signings this summer with the budget the Championship club has set.

One newspaper report claimed Villa had earmarked just £1m for new players, after heavy spending failed to earn them promotion to the Premier League.

Wyness did not reveal how much they would have to spend but said boss Steve Bruce understood the club's position.

"There are about three or four targets," he told BBC WM.

"We can easily achieve that with the budgets we have."

Villa spent £39m alone on strikers Jonathan Kodjia, Ross McCormack and Scott Hogan following their relegation from the top flight in 2015-16.

Wales defender James Chester, Albert Adomah, Mile Jedinak, Conor Hourihane, Henri Lansbury and Tommy Elphick were among 12 other additions.

Wyness dismissed reports that Bruce, who took over at Villa Park in October and guided the club to 13th in the Championship, had been surprised by his budget for next season.

"I've spoken with Steve and the words 'shocked' and 'stunned' didn't come to mind - [it's] maybe journalistic speak. Steve understands completely," he added.

"I'm already in discussions and active on a number of deals."
'Must do better'

Former Aberdeen and Everton chief executive Wyness, who joined Villa last summer under new owner Dr Tony Xia, said the club's hierarchy was aware performances needed to improve.

"There's no getting away from it, this summer is a key summer for Villa," he said.

"Thirteenth is just not acceptable, we know that. I think it's below a pass. We didn't achieve anywhere near the targets we set out for.

"However, 'must do better but there are promising signs' - I think that's the report card."

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Thu May 18, 2017 9:36 pm

You'll probably have to be in the UK, but if you listen to this Iplayer link from frmo about 2:22:22, you can hear the Wyness interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p051cbl4

He more or less confirmed that Bruce is staying, and from his words it doesn't sound like the coaching team will change either. At the end when talking about FFP and how we're complying with it, he states that the club will probably have the biggest budget in the Championship.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum