The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Forest v Villa. Sat 4th Feb 17.30. Pre match build up, match thread and post-match hand wringing thread

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Forest v Villa. Sat 4th Feb 17.30. Pre match build up, match thread and post-match hand wringing thread

Post by De Kuip on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm

And fuck it - if the striker position is still a problem and I'm recommending Dad's Army free agents, let's sign Eduardo as Shakthar Donetsk have just parted company with him - he's 33, could do a job in the Championship.....
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Re: Forest v Villa. Sat 4th Feb 17.30. Pre match build up, match thread and post-match hand wringing thread

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 pm

So here goes:

Johnstone - I didn't understand all the criticism on here after the last game, as I didn't see any glaring errors against Brentford, but tonight was a howler for their goal. Other than that he looked fairly solid, but not tested much. I also think, to his credit, he didn't let the error affect his 2nd half performance, as many young keepers would have. He seems to come for crosses a lot more than Gollini and doesn't seem to flap at many. I'm not giving up on him yet. The window is closed and Bruce has made his choice. That's not Sam's fault. Goalkeeping is a confidence thing so let's not get on his back.

Bree - quite impressed with him on the whole. Encouraging debut, which might mean we've seen the last of Hutton for a while, and that has to be a positive.

Elphick - a liability. Even playing as part of a three exposed his weaknesses. I blame him for their winner as well. As Baker goes up for the header he stops running and starts walking, instead of moving to get goal side of Brereton (watch the replay, if you dare). That seems to be the end of Bruce's experiment with 3-5-2. A shame, because it looked quite effective, unless.....Richards......

Baker - Pretty solid. No complaints

Chester - See Baker

Bjarnasson - Not sure about his inclusion as a wing back. He doesn't seem to have the confidence to take players on. Kept turning back at the slightest sign of pressure and passing backwards. Forest targeted the space behind him with diagonal balls, to good effect. Still, a slight improvement on Tuesday's performance

Hourihane - much better performance. Better as the game went on. Lovely ball for Chester's chance. He will be excellent for us, I believe.

Lansbury - Good performance. More disciplined than Tuesday but then, we were getting our arse handed to us on Tuesday. Still concerned about his discipline, but let's face it, he was outshone in that department by:

Jack Grealish - Words fail me. Handed a golden opportunity to shine in the No.10 role behind two mobile strikers, he picks up a stupid yellow for kicking away the ball and the rest was predictable. Lovely disguised pass for the goal, but how many more chances can this lad get? Also, why was he not in the hole behind the strikers 2nd half? He seemed to be all over the place trying to win the ball back. Did Bruce give him a free role 2nd half? If so, why?

Kodjia - Superb finish for the goal. Makes things happen all on his own. He frustrated me today though. He doesn't seem to want to play with Hogan. Thinks Hogan's job is to draw markers away from Kodjia, whilst he works an angle for a shot. Highlighted just before their equaliser, when he elected to shoot from 30+ yards rather than try and find Hogan. Even if he had no intention of passing he could have advanced another 5 yards or so before shooting. Did it again 2nd half, this time getting closed down and blocked.

Hogan - impressive debut on the whole. Lovely mazey run in the 1st half. We haven't had anybody capable, or willing, to do that for some time. Unlucky not to score when one-on-one in the 2nd half. Really deserved a goal tonight. It will come. His running certainly creates space and opportunities for Kodjia.

Nowt to say on the subs other than I was pleased with Adomah's attitude coming on late-on, having been dropped, and chasing along their back line to try and exert some pressure.

All in all, a better performance than Tuesday (now I've calmed down a bit), but spoilt by a single moment of needless stupidity from Jack. He simply has to learn his lesson if he wants to be a Villa legend, which I'm sure he does.

You can begin to see what this team will be about and what Bruce is aiming for. Encouraging signs from all the new boys, other than Johnstone's one costly mistake.

We need to stay behind them in the upcoming home games. Bruce needs time to get them firing. I still think we've made the right signings this time. Promotion won't happen now, but we need to be ready to hit the ground running next season and that means allowing this team to find a winning formula.

We have the right manager and the right players. The Manager hasn't had a full season with his own team. Let's not ramp up the pressure. If we give him time he will get us promoted next season, I'm sure.

Scarf Waving
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:47 pm

The longer we give Bruce the longer our problem of the opposition outplaying us will persist. Save for a few encouraging individual displays, I didn't see anything to suggest that things will improve, we were the poorer side yet again. Simply not playing as a team.

Still I expect Xia to tweet that we're sticking with him, and then we'll see what happens with these two home games coming up. We might scrape some points, giving Bruce a bit more time, but I can't see us putting any kind of a run together in the long run, meaning we'll be looking for a new manager if not before the season ends, certainly in the summer.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:The longer we give Bruce the longer our problem of the opposition outplaying us will persist. Save for a few encouraging individual displays, I didn't see anything to suggest that things will improve, we were the poorer side yet again. Simply not playing as a team.

Still I expect Xia to tweet that we're sticking with him, and then we'll see what happens with these two home games coming up. We might scrape some points, giving Bruce a bit more time, but I can't see us putting any kind of a run together in the long run, meaning we'll be looking for a new manager if not before the season ends, certainly in the summer.

Don't agree with any of this but, as to which of us is right, only time will tell.

I don't think we were the poorer side, and I see signs of us playing as a team, within a structure, with some good individual performances. I think we have a decent manager and an owner who trusts him and is prepared to back him financially.

I also think we need a period of stability and the last thing we need is to be exerting pressure from the stands.

Everything is in place now:

An owner who cares, and backs his manager.

A manager with the best track record out there for getting teams promoted back to the PL.

A first eleven that reads like a wish list written by, probably, most managers in the Championship.

It's a great recipe. It's in the oven. Now it just needs time.

Trust.

Scarf Waving
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:23 pm

It was frustrating not being able to watch the match but TBH VR I feel slightly less depressed after reading your post!
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Things are not perfect, mind.

I can see why we struggle away from home.

I think Bruce is slightly conservative by nature but we have a side that has devastating attack weapons which Bruce has the shackles on, to some extent.

Away from home, we sit back and let teams play in front of us. This is fine if we are clinical on the counter-attack, but we aren't (yet), so what happens in reality is that teams who might have feared the 'Mighty Aston Villa', visibly grow in confidence to a point where they become Barcelona (see Vibe & Jota vs Brentford).

Personally, I think this is the fundamental flaw with counter-attacking football. When players walk onto a pitch they are nervous. The thing that calms the nerves is touches of the ball. The more you touch the ball the more confident you become. If a team concedes possession to the opposition they risk the opposition growing in confidence. Things they won't try after 5 minutes they will try after 20.

So it's a mind game. To score on your first counter attack is the dream, but you need to at least bloody their nose. If you don't, the home team grows into the game, like Forest tonight, and then life gets difficult.

My only worry about Bruce: Does his nature as a defender from his Pro career make him slightly too conservative? What would happen if he took the shackles off this Aston Villa team?
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:13 am

Thinking Bruce is the right manager for us, just because he has a good track record of getting teams promoted is a rather simplistic way of looking at things.

Our problem is that we're rubbish on the ball, have no interplay between the players, or much of a gameplan at all. Pretty much every team we play out plays us. I just don't think Bruce is the man to fix those specific problems, in fact I think he only makes them worse, which has been evidenced by our displays under him so far. He's just not the right fit for us.

As for today the only positive was that it wasn't as bad as against Brentford, and a few individuals looked promising. Forest were definitely the better side though, and deserved their win.

Stability in itself won't work, the right manager has to be in place, to begin with.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Con on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:39 am

Teams that have massive number of new players trying to settle and learn the manager's methods are always inconsistent.

It takes months for teams to gel.

Recent example from the Premier League was Tottenham in the season after they sold Gareth Bale.

But the season after that they improved significantly.

Con

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:28 am

The only problem with that is, that Bruce is no Pochettino. If Pochettino had have been doing as badly as Bruce is with us at any stage, then he would have been sacked.

Bruce has a record of starting well with teams then going backwards, not the other way around. The team is worse than inconsistent, it's consistently rubbish and second best, even when we were winning it was often down to moments of individual brilliance, rather than the team performing well.

Speaking of Pochettino he's exactly the kind of manager that we could do with finding, but that is easier said than done.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:18 am

That was squarely on Bruce.

Grealish was shit for all bar one pass - something he should have done repeatedly in the role he should have been playing (although was largely a headless chicken). His first yellow was ducking pathetic and he should have been hooked at half time.

On 75 minutes the platers had a fuck-you-Bruce moment and played in the natural positions: Bananason was tucked in, Hourihane had come in from the right to a more central position and we managed to string about a dozen passes together and almost scored.

But in really it need it explained to me why Grealish and Banana weren't swapped for Green and Adomah.
Green - Houri - Landsbury - Adomah.

With a flat 4 at the back and the two up front we'd have won.

What Bruce did was without fathom. I cannot even comprehend what he might have been thinking.

I suspect the pressure of the job and the expectations of making Xia's dreams come true are taking their toll. He's not up for this. The club is too big for him. He's tactically clueless. He had the shiniest toolbox with the best tools yet can't fix this club. You could maybe forgive him for Brentford as they're a good side with a good manager. But Forest are a mess. They're like us under Lerner. So he's no excuses.

We're in trouble. Big trouble.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:17 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Thinking Bruce is the right manager for us, just because he has a good track record of getting teams promoted is a rather simplistic way of looking at things.

Our problem is that we're rubbish on the ball, have no interplay between the players, or much of a gameplan at all. Pretty much every team we play out plays us. I just don't think Bruce is the man to fix those specific problems, in fact I think he only makes them worse, which has been evidenced by our displays under him so far. He's just not the right fit for us.

As for today the only positive was that it wasn't as bad as against Brentford, and a few individuals looked promising. Forest were definitely the better side though, and deserved their win.

Stability in itself won't work, the right manager has to be in place, to begin with.

Thing is though mate, track record has to be a massive consideration in choosing a manager. It's not like there's an "Aston Villa Way" where we have a brand and style at the club and if we have to replace managers we go out and get one that matches. Our club and the available managers out there are like planets in different orbits and there's no way of knowing that harnessing 2 together equals a match. And it's no good saying go for a name - Eddie Howe can't stop Bournemouth leaking goals in sets of 3 at the moment and  if Ranieri isn't careful the foxes will be joining us next season. So even when a manager is a good fit, things can go very wrong.
I honestly think that there is a lack of decent managers out there allied to it never being harder to manage than it is now due to the instant success demanded by fans and the lack of incentivised players - both due to the ridiculous amount of money that is ruining the game.
No, I think it's bloody hard and getting harder to find the right manager and given the above, it's not surprising to me that clubs keep spinning the revolving managerial door.
I do think we should stick with Bruce but I'm also extremely worried about his capability from what I've seen so far. If he does go I know we'll be searching again for the right fit. I tell you who does impress me - Keith Curle - I really like both how he comes across and the way he's constructed a fluid and balanced side. Probably the fact he's L2 is too low and he'd likely be cursed with the "Massive club" albatross that we seem to be, but I do think he's got potential.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 am

I'm a bit disappointed that we seem to lack intensity and pressure. I didn't watch the match, but motivating them to put in a shift should be the easiest part of Bruce's job.

I do however think our main problem is shifting too many players and managers too frequently. We need continuity to gel a side. Lets stick by Bruce and watch him get something going next season.

The biggest question for me is our tactics. Considering Hogan and Kodjia has to play it must be either 442 or 433.

We could play

Kodjia Hogan Adomah
Lansbury Jedinak Hourihane
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:41 am

Good posts Villa Ranger.

I agree with sticking with Bruce. We came into this season knowing the team was broken and Xia has given us a lot to be positive about. As an owner he's doing all the things we criticised Lerner for not doing - he's invested in the club, backed his managers and not only communicates with us on what's going on but is there if we want to ask him anything. Maybe our expectations are too high? How many players on the pitch yesterday played for us last season or before? Grealish and Baker. Six new players started too. We have a team of mostly very good individuals but that's how they're playing and we must give them and Bruce time, not just a couple of matches. We were told at the start of the season that it may well take two seasons to get the team working and able to challenge for promotion and that's what looks like happening.

I like the look of the new purchases, even though the goalie situation continues to puzzle. Fine, bring in a young keeper to mould into what we want but why not spend the time and effort making Gollini feel comfortable: "The condition I had set my agent for me to stay in Birmingham was to have an Italian goalkeeping coach. That was the situation, with Massimo Battara, until the manager Roberto Di Matteo was fired. I played a great deal at Villa, but I wasn’t happy with the training regime.” He's young, he's a long way from home and he's destabilised because his one condition is ignored. Maybe that contributed to his dip in form after he'd started looking good, maybe it didn't, but it's not good man management. Instead of bringing in someone else's young trainee goalie wouldn't we have been better off looking for an experienced goalie with Gallini as his understudy and main U23s goalie to let him build up experience? Now we've sent him off probably never to return and Johnstone probably heads back to ManU after we've helped them assess him (or he's not good enough for them and we probably buy him, which isn't where we should be going). Bunn is ok but we should be building a team that can A) get us out of the Championship with momentum to B) keep us going in the PL. By cherry picking the best Championship players we should be able to do that but what the hell is going on with the goalie? I like Steer but am not convinced he's the answer, even when he's fit.

I also think Hogan and Kodjia will turn into a very prolific partnership, Kodjia just has to adjust to having someone else to play with and not being completely isolated up front and having to do everything for himself. I can't think exactly why but he reminded me of Robbie Keane when he came to us on loan a few years ago. Maybe his composure and intelligent play?

It's such a shame it's taken this long to try out two strikers.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:21 pm

@De Kuip wrote:Not sure why Taylor didn't feature - I assume to allow for the line up that Bruce wanted to put out.
Personally I'd like to see Jedi in behind Lans and Houri, put Bjanarsson in behind Hogan/ Kodjia and have Bree/Taylor at FB.
I don't know how Chester Baker Elphick played but one of then could go to revert to a flat back 4.
And then if that works can we please not - for the love of Christ - keep altering things about!!
Let's use the rest of this season to sort some balance and stability before pushing on next season.
Oh, and can we not get Chris Kirkland in for the rest of the season - he's a free agent - would he be worse than Johnstone.

Apparently Taylor was ill.
The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:27 pm

After everything I just said about goalkeepers I just read the Bruce thread where everyone's already discussing Johnston/Gollini!
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:Thinking Bruce is the right manager for us, just because he has a good track record of getting teams promoted is a rather simplistic way of looking at things.

How do you explain our goal if there is zero interplay? Lansbury to Grealish to Kodjia - goal.

Forest were definitely not the better side. They weren't in it first half. We gifted them a goal that allowed them to get a foothold in the game and even 2nd half they pretty much never tested our keeper until they scored the winner.

By contrast, their keeper was man of the match because we forced him into a string of fine saves. Even then he was fortunate to get a hand on some of them. If Elphick heads it down we score, and Chester's toe-poke could have gone anywhere but he sticks out an arm instinctively and gets enough on it.

I know goalkeeping is a skill and all part of the game etc, but to suggest that Forest were the better side, that we were outplayed, is nonsense. You're letting the result skew your judgement. If we had held out for a draw would you have still said we were second best? The stats don't back it up.

And to say we should sack Bruce, when he inherited someone else's team 10 games in, and only 2 games after his first transfer window?

I know people are hurting. I am too, but that's complete madness. Most of the players who arrived this window cited Bruce as one of the reasons they chose us over other clubs, some of them Prem Clubs.

My worry now is the fans turning on the Manager and players. Some of them are kids, some of them have only just arrived at the Club. What would that accomplish? We cannot allow that to happen.
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:14 pm

We were second best and the stats back it up unfortunately. They had considerably more possesion, more attempts at our goall, a few less shots on target, but that's down to Kodjia taking shots when he had no chance of scoring, basically passing to the keeper.

Forest weren't especially good, if they were they would have finished us off much earlier, given how much they had the ball, but they deserved their win.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:15 pm

@Trotters wrote:
With a flat 4 at the back and the two up front we'd have won.

What Bruce did was without fathom. I cannot even comprehend what he might have been thinking.

I don't think Bruce's formation was the reason we lost.

I can't read his mind but my guess is he saw how many goals we were conceding straight down the middle, through the heart of our defence. There have been loads, especially against Brentford. I think he decided to bring Elphick in to give the other two some support, which would then allow Lansbury and Hourihane to get on the front foot.

I also think he wanted to get Jack playing centrally behind the strikers, which is where he's been at his most effective in his Villa career in the Sherwood era.

I still think it worked on the whole and we were undone by silly individual errors, and the Manager can't legislate for that.

We will come good mate. Sacking Bruce right now would be sheer lunacy. We need to get to safety, give him the Summer Window and a full off season at BMH, then judge him on the first ten games next season.
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 pm

I still think that most of our problems are down to a team still settling in after the shuffle playing teams that have had half a season behind them. There's no way we were as bad as we were on Tuesday. There's a split second hesitancy about us & unfortunately we're getting caught out.
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:29 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:We were second best and the stats back it up unfortunately. They had considerably more possesion, more attempts at our goall, a few less shots on target, but that's down to Kodjia taking shots when he had no chance of scoring, basically passing to the keeper.

Forest weren't especially good, if they were they would have finished us off much earlier, given how much they had the ball, but they deserved their win.

We had more shots on target because we created more chances. Kodjia had 1 shot from distance which still required a full length save from their keeper.

I watched the game. Forest were not the better side.

I don't care how much possession they had. We allowed them all that possession in front of us.

We worked their keeper far more than they worked ours.

There is not one single aspect of this game that can be used as a plausible argument for sacking Bruce
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 pm

I watched the game too, and am puzzled as to how anyone can think we were the better side, as I say Forest weren't very good, but they didn't need to be because we were worse than the opposition, yet again, have we ever been the better side in a game since Bruce came in, maybe against Brighton, but that's it.

Yesterday was our sixth game without a win and our sixth straight away loss, those facts by themselves, can be used as an argument to suggest that Bruce needs replacing.

But my main reason for thinking he should be replaced is that I just don't think his strengths as a manager are what this club requires. We need someone to come in and teach the club how to play football again. After six years of utter dross, Bruce will just serve up more of the same, and we won't move forwards as a club.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:50 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I watched the game too, and am puzzled as to how anyone can think we were the better side, as I say Forest weren't very good, but they didn't need to be because we were worse than the opposition, yet again, have we ever been the better side in a game since Bruce came in, maybe against Brighton, but that's it.

Yesterday was our sixth game without a win and our sixth straight away loss, those facts by themselves, can be used as an argument to suggest that Bruce needs replacing.

But my main reason for thinking he should be replaced is that I just don't think his strengths as a manager are what this club requires. We need someone to come in and teach the club how to play football again. After six years of utter dross, Bruce will just serve up more of the same, and we won't move forwards as a club.

So in our wins against Reading, Fulham, Blackburn, Cardiff, Wigan & Burton, the opposition were the better team on each & every occasion?

And on the Match Thread for each of those games I will find posts from you saying the Opposition were the better team and Bruce needs to be sacked?

No. I will find quotes like this:

"Things would have been so much different if Bruce started the season with us"
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:22 pm

I have to agree with you Villa Ranger, up until the red card it looked like we would get the winner, if anyone. They had a lot of possession, but like you say they never tested our keeper, barring his error and the 93 minute winner. whereas we had numerous opportunities... Hogans Run which went just wide, Hogan's shot which the keeper saved, Kodija's shot early on which the keeper saved, Chester's toe poke, Ephicks headers...
Wriggle

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:56 am

@Villa Ranger wrote:
@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I watched the game too, and am puzzled as to how anyone can think we were the better side, as I say Forest weren't very good, but they didn't need to be because we were worse than the opposition, yet again, have we ever been the better side in a game since Bruce came in, maybe against Brighton, but that's it.

So in our wins against Reading, Fulham, Blackburn, Cardiff, Wigan & Burton, the opposition were the better team on each & every occasion?

And on the Match Thread for each of those games I will find posts from you saying the Opposition were the better team and Bruce needs to be sacked?

No. I will find quotes like this:

"Things would have been so much different if Bruce started the season with us"

We won plenty of those above games thanks to penalties or last minute goals, take away those and we'd be a lot closer to relegation than we are now.

And of course no one is going to be saying Bruce should be sacked after we've won games, and people will also be less inclined to to talk about poor performances after straight after a win, why put dampener on things, people want to celebrate and be positive for the most part on such occassions?

And as for "Things would have been so much different if Bruce started the season with us" I don't know when that was said, but I've no doubt that I probably said it, and it's probably not the only time I've praised Bruce. But looking in match threads isn't really going to get you a true reflection on how people feel, because obviously people are over emotional, both negatively and positively depending how the result is going. Bruce went on a good run initially and no one can take that away from him, and at the time people were just grateful to win some games at last, and despite us not being very good in a footballing sense, I think there was an hope that we were winning games thanks to 'Bruce's know-how', but looking back we had our fair share of luck.

Anyway I'm going to shut up about Bruce now, I don't think he's the right man for the job, but others do, I don't think we're going to change each other's minds'. I really hope he proves me wrong and we have a decent end to this season, and we can look forward to better times, but I just can't see it.

I

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:24 am

So @deadbuzzardalive whatever you say you usually mean the opposite?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum