The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Forest v Villa. Sat 4th Feb 17.30. Pre match build up, match thread and post-match hand wringing thread

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forest v Villa. Sat 4th Feb 17.30. Pre match build up, match thread and post-match hand wringing thread

Post by De Kuip on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Right, well I thought as NARLA's win rate has taken a dive recently, and anyone else who started a thread promptly disappeared, I'll take on the mantle.

So, where do we start?

New additions to the team seemed to provide no answers to the many questions we have all been asking. Let's put that down to a bunch of raw ingredients that have been thrown into a wok but not cooked together. Let's put it down to having shit fullbacks. Let's put it down to us having a shaky goalie who needs a bit of confidence. Lets put it down to SB not getting the balance right. Lets be magnanimous and also say "well done" to Dean Smith and an up-for-it Brentford who likely had something to prove in sending a message to both Villa and Hogan.

Let's now forget that ever happened and say that Saturday is "Day 1" of the rest of our season, that surely we'lll improve.

So who are our opponents and what are the key points.

Well Nigel Clough has just turned them down, saying that the offer "came at the wrong time" which is a diplomatic way of saying " Your owner is a basket case and I wouldn't touch you with a bargepole until said basket case sells".

Many Forest supporters have become increasingly angry and disillusioned with the Al Hasawi reign, which has seen the club fail to pay bills on time, be placed under a transfer embargo and part company with seven managers.

Academy director Gary Brazil is in interim charge following the sacking of Philippe Montanier last month, but the club are still without a chief executive, there have been two failed takeovers in the past 12 months, and fans have staged protests at the City Ground in recent weeks.

Sound familiar?

And yet, Forest - in dire straits as they are, currently sit just 3 points behind Villa and a win on Saturday would see them right behind us on goal difference (unless the won by 3 clear which would actually put them above us). That's the measure of our lack of progress this season - that the inbreds from the Sty haven't won in ten, and are above us, and a disaster like Forest could be above us if they win well on the weekend.
I assume MacFatmcFatcunt won't be playing for them, partly contractually but partly because the player's entrance has a gate.

So, we need to win, and keep winning, but will we - over to you guys!

I'm going for a 1-2 win for Villa.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Re: Forest v Villa. Sat 4th Feb 17.30. Pre match build up, match thread and post-match hand wringing thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:32 pm

Comprehensive win for Forest as we make them look like Bayern Munich, and the pressure to mount on Bruce. Hope I'm wrong because if we win this, then we have two home games coming up in quick succession that could see us get a bit of hope back, but everything that can go wrong goes wrong, for us on the pitch.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Re: Forest v Villa. Sat 4th Feb 17.30. Pre match build up, match thread and post-match hand wringing thread

Post by Saunders82 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Its payback day, the team will all know they were crap & owe us BIG TIME, so good win for me. lol! lol!
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Reading your summary of them DK, they really are deep in the brown stuff and, with the talent at our disposal, we should win handsomely.

But this is Villa, and Forest is another team we have plundered for their best player, so they will have a point to prove and will raise their game.

Let's face it, with the exception of maybe Newcastle, who doesn't raise their game when they play us?

Also, we've only won 2 away games all season and have lost the last 4 on the bounce (albeit one was to Spurs)

And if that wasn't enough we're on telly again and our record in televised games is abysmal.

So I'm going for more humiliation and another away defeat, or a draw at best.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:23 pm

@De Kuip wrote:
I assume MacFatmcFatcunt won't be playing for them, partly contractually but partly because the player's entrance has a gate.

I have no particular affinity or loathing of Forest. I think what they did under Cloughie all those years ago was amazing but since then they've been a bit of a nothing club. But the parallels with us under Lerner makes me feel sorry for them. When the man at the top is little more than a clown, everything else becomes a circus...as well we know.

I've no idea how this game will go. If you told me that they'd win 2-0 with a Brentford-like display, I'd believe you. If you told me that Bruce had given his head a wobble, shouted a bit and had the team far better organised and we extended the first 15 minutes against Brentford into a full 90 and won 2-0, I'd believe you (well, maybe not the FULL 90. Villa just don't do that).

So, let's go with 2-2.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:16 am

They have no manager, a right twat of an owner (the lawyer from the American who failed to takeover has said they loaned the club 7 figures in good faith that it would go through. So that needs paying back), and their results are up and down. 

Head says Villa win. Heart says draw.
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:08 am

Is that the right way round Dan?
You conclude we will win but deep down in your heart you want us to draw? Are you RDM in disguise haha Very Happy
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 am

Think Bruce has said Jedinak won't be available again, so I think he'll go with a line up of;

........................Johnstone......................
Hutton......Chester..........Baker........Amavi
Adomah.....Lansbury...Hourihane....Bananason
................Hogan.............Kodjia...... .....
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 am

Please no Hutton. I can't handle it anymore.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 am

@De Kuip wrote:Is that the right way round Dan?
You conclude we will win but deep down in your heart you want us to draw? Are you RDM in disguise haha Very Happy

No they're the right way around. Villa should win but my heart/gut says we will draw
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by avfcjoe on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:35 am

After Bruce suggested 'something different' I would like to see something like this tomorrow evening

Richards/Youngsters to be CB Cover

avfcjoe

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:54 pm

DK glad you started the thread as i have been the kiss of death. Lets get back to your previous win rate mate.
74 nil to Villa Scarf Waving
NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:17 pm

@avfcjoe wrote:After Bruce suggested 'something different' I would like to see something like this tomorrow evening

I think this is exactly what he's going to do. What I would do as we're away and no jedi
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Think Amavi needs to be taken out of the firing line for a bit. The oppositon have been getting behind him so often lately he must feel like he's surrounded.

big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 pm

@Villa_Dan wrote:
@De Kuip wrote:Is that the right way round Dan?

No they're the right way around. Villa should win but my heart/gut says we will draw
Ah, got you. Yeah, we SHOULD win.......
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Sounds like Elphick is gonna be back in the picture if Bruce's latest comments about Chester and Baker "not living up to their standard" are anything to go by.

And yeah his other comments about "trying something different" suggests he's gonna try either 442 or 532. My money is on 442.

..................Johnstone................

.....Bree...Elphick...Chester..Taylor...

..Adomah..Lansbury..Hourihane...Green..

...............Kodjia...Hogan.......

Won't be happy with Elphick but can't argue with that attack. If we still can't hit a barn door then f#ck it!!...let's just throw in the bloody towel and go home.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:57 pm

@AstonThriller wrote:
Won't be happy with Elphick but can't argue with that attack. If we still can't hit a barn door then f#ck it!!...let's just throw in the bloody towel and go home.

Is League 1 our home then? Laughing
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:54 pm

@Villa Ranger wrote:
@AstonThriller wrote:

Is League 1 our home then? Laughing

In all seriousness, the number of points needed to stay in this division in recent years has fluctuated between 42 and 46, except for one horrific season (2012-13) when 55 points were needed to stay up!!

Imagine if we had to get another 19 points from 18 games just to finish 21st in the Championship??!! Rolling Eyes

Realistically we'll need another 8 to 10 points to be safe.

Should be no bother, but our record this year is 1 point from 4 games. Carry that form to the end of the season, and we only win another 5 points, and finish on 41.

Not enough.

Bruce needs to get this team of relative strangers on the same wavelength or, make no mistake, we could be fearing the unthinkable again.

I'm not starting a relegation thread though. I'd probably be excommunicated!
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:30 pm

We're closer to the bottom than the top and the only thing the club is good at is spending money like there's no tomorrow. There's no evidence pitch-side that we're going up the league (any suggestion of top 6 for me now is laughable) so any discussion around relegation might be premature but not unwarranted.

When...rather IF we string a few convincing wins together then we can start discussing next season's promotion hopes. But should we lose against Forest then that could be an indication that Bruce and the new players need another half a dozen games or so to gel and by then we will be in deep trouble.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 am

I so wish i could come in to this thread full of optimism but it just seems we are a zillion miles away from finding a winning formula right now. Surely we can't be as bad as Tuesday night but then it wouldn't surprise me greatly if so.

Defensively i worry for us as we are a shambles back there at the minute. Amavi is dire, Hutton majorly flawed as we all know and now even Baker & Chester seem off the boil! With a suspect keeper behind them i fear for us as Forests strength is their attack.

Even if we bring in Bree & The new LB it means it'll be their 1st game together so i see us conceding whatever happens. So it comes down to whether we can out score them in my view. I see a high scoring loss ... 3-2

The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:35 am

Its the day it all kicked in, the new blood showed us what we've been missing and with not a shitsquad member in sight we blew the Forest away, 0-3 to the mighty Villa.

P.S. I propose that FOXYAV's ban be lifted on the pre match threads, statistics prove that FOXY's predictions have in no way .............. blah blah blah , let him in!
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:31 pm

@Trotters wrote:We're closer to the bottom than the top and the only thing the club is good at is spending money like there's no tomorrow. There's no evidence pitch-side that we're going up the league (any suggestion of top 6 for me now is laughable) so any discussion around relegation might be premature but not unwarranted.

When...rather IF we string a few convincing wins together then we can start discussing next season's promotion hopes. But should we lose against Forest then that could be an indication that Bruce and the new players need another half a dozen games or so to gel  and by then we will be in deep trouble.

The only positive is that Bruce showed us when he arrived what a good manager he is by getting results with that shockingly unbalanced team and dysfunctional midfield.

It's easy to say he is culpable for our recent slump but if January taught us anything, it's just how important Kodjia was to that team. It also shows how vital it was to sign another out-and-out striker, as any injury to Kodjia would have spelt trouble. Hopefully we've signed the right one and maybe they can forge a deadly partnership.

So if Bruce managed to get that team to go 7 games unbeaten, maybe he can get this new group of players to do something similar, or better.
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:25 pm

@Villa Ranger wrote:Reading your summary of them DK, they really are deep in the brown stuff and, with the talent at our disposal, we should win handsomely.

But this is Villa, and Forest is another team we have plundered for their best player, so they will have a point to prove and will raise their game.

Let's face it, with the exception of maybe Newcastle, who doesn't raise their game when they play us?

Also, we've only won 2 away games all season and have lost the last 4 on the bounce (albeit one was to Spurs)

And if that wasn't enough we're on telly again and our record in televised games is abysmal.

So I'm going for more humiliation and another away defeat, or a draw at best.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

This for me as well, just can't see us winning, not a shred of light from Tuesday to even think it will be a draw!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:45 pm

@avfcjoe wrote:After Bruce suggested 'something different' I would like to see something like this tomorrow evening

Yes, I think that would be my team as well with perhaps Taylor in for Amavi!
We cannot play just the two in midfield without some sort of cover as proved on Tuesday!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:53 pm

I saw it mentioned the other day that in just over a year and a half, we've spent over £100M. If someone had have told me that at the time, I don't think I'd imagine that we'd go from a Premier league team to a midtable (and only just, at that) championship team.

I've only just noticed that Derby won last night which puts us 13 points off the play-offs. Pretty much all that's left of this season is to make sure we don't get sucked into a relegation battle, and to try and gain a bit of momentum going into next season, but seems to me Bruce is running out of ideas, hopefully this 'something different' that he's going to try, works.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum