The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

January '17 Transfer Window

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: January '17 Transfer Window

Post by De Kuip on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:06 pm

@achilles wrote:
@De Kuip wrote:I just want to state for the record I think Grealish is a useless sugarbag and I'd we could get £10m for him it would be £9m more than he is worth. Another overrated sugarbag who thinks he is bigger than villa. We could sell him to Man U and he would still do fuck all. The sooner we fuck the small-socked big time Charlie off into oblivion the better. I hate the useless sugarbag.

Don't sit on the fence here! lol!

Ha I was three quarters of the way through a bottle of Jamieson so take that post with a pinch of salt. Broke my own rule about alcohol and the Internet - they don't make good bedfellows!
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:18 pm

@AstonThriller wrote:LOL the same old Twitter clowns are now moaning that we're "buying too may players" HERE ..You really couldn't make it up could you? Very Happy

Couldn't get that link to work but, assuming their concerns are of a financial nature, our expenditure on players this window is £10.6M (on the assumption that the undisclosed fees for Bree & Hourihane were £3M a-piece)

Our income, from the solitary sale of Gestede to Boro is £6M, giving a nett spend of £4.6M.

It's interesting that we're making headline-grabbing signings this window with a very modest outlay, as compared to last summer when we plundered and pillaged our way to a £33M nett spend on transfers, only to limp into the January transfer window in the lower half of the table, and in desperate need to do some serious business once again.

I hope our business in this window equates to low expenditure / high impact. It certainly feels like it that is the Goal.

As a footnote, the above only talks about transfer fees, whereas wages become much more significant in the Championship, where fees are relatively low.

For instance, Lansbury's wages were reported in the Press as being about £28,000 a week. Now I know that players' earning structure can be extremely complex (appearances, targets etc) but, just taking a flat 52 wks @ 28k = £1.46M in the 1st year, which would mean that his wages will eclipse his reported transfer fee of £2.89M within 2 years.

So, how smart are our new owners being on wages, as well as player fees? It's difficult to speculate on players' wages but anyone bought when we were in the PL, who are surplus to requirements, need to be offloaded ASAP, surely?
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:25 pm

I actually think we are gambling pretty heavily on promotion this season or next. - If that doesn't happen I expect the shit to hit the fan with regards to our finances.

On Grealish - to those wanting to see him a a good midfield. Based on what ive seen this season - if we had a good midfield - he wouldn't be in it.
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:34 pm

@smetro wrote:I actually think we are gambling pretty heavily on promotion this season or next. - If that doesn't happen I expect the shit to hit the fan with regards to our finances.

On Grealish - to those wanting to see him a a good midfield. Based on what ive seen this season - if we had a good midfield - he wouldn't be in it.

I get what you're saying about Grealish.

Looking at our January signings, he doesn't get a start.

BUT: pressure off - he works hard out of the spotlight, and maybe gets a start due to an injury - he could be a revelation. Might even cause SB to change formation / tactics to keep him in the Starting 11.

In football, ya never know...

Bash
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 pm

I think I read that Bree was closer to £1.5M than £3M, Hourihane I think we got for around the same, probably why both fees were undisclosed. But they reportedly both have sell on clauses in their contracts.

I've seen a few people suggest we're going to be in financial trouble if we don't go up in the next few seasons, mostly fans of other clubs. I'm not sure why though, all we're doing is spending parachute money and money made from player sales, plus owners are allowed to put some of their own money in too. On the wages issue I suspect players will have clauses in their contracts where they have to take a reduction if we don't get promoted, whilst parachute payments last.

If we don't go up within in the next few seasons we might be weakened financially (unless we have a way around FFP), but I suspect the club will still be fairly healthy. Didn't Xia put close to half a billion in a English bank account, to prove the club's in safe hands.

Last edited by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:54 pm

@Villa Ranger wrote:
@smetro wrote:I actually think we are gambling pretty heavily on promotion this season or next. - If that doesn't happen I expect the shit to hit the fan with regards to our finances.

BUT: pressure off - he works hard out of the spotlight, and maybe gets a start due to an injury - he could be a revelation. Might even cause SB to change formation / tactics to keep him in the Starting 11.

Bash

Yep but you could say that about Andre Green or Keinan Davis

Im not against him staying - but I just don't take it as a given that he is a top player in waiting. He's 22 soon, and can't nail a regular starting spot in a championship team.
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:00 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I think I read that Bree was closer to £1.5M than £3M, Hourihane I think we got for around the same, probably why both fees were undisclosed. But they reportedly both have sell on clauses in their contracts.

I've seen a few people suggest we're going to be in financial trouble if we don't go up in the next few seasons, mostly fans of other clubs. I'm not sure why though, all we're doing is spending parachute money and money made from player sales, plus owners are allowed to put some of their own money in too. On the wages issue I suspect players will have clauses in their contracts where they have to take a reduction if we don't get promoted, whilst parachute payments last.

If we don't go up within in the next few seasons we might be weakened financially (unless we have a way around FFP), but I suspect the club will still be fairly healthy.

If we were starting from a blank balance sheet maybe so. But as a premiership club we were racking up massive losses - weve spent pretty heavily in the transfer market - so given,even with parachute money we are going to be making a loss - you can understand the doomsday scenario when it stops.
Losses don't matter if Dr Tony is prepared to underwrite them - but at some point FFP Kicks in
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Regardless of the financial situation, if we don't go up in the next few seasons, it will be a sorry state of affairs, and being financially stable will be small comfort, for a club that really should be challenging in the top half of the Premier league at the very least.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:58 pm

@smetro wrote:
@Villa Ranger wrote:

Bash

Yep but you could say that about Andre Green or Keinan Davis

Im not against him staying - but I just don't take it as a given that he is a top player in waiting. He's 22 soon, and can't nail a regular starting spot in a championship team.

That is a very good point indeed!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:11 pm

With the exception of the defence, Kodjia up front and maybe Jedinak and Adomah, you could say that about our other players too. I think that's been one our problems not know who our best eleven is.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:32 am

@The Utterer wrote:Regards Grealish i think it's difficult to find the best way to utilise his undoubted talent because his strengths are a bit one dimensional from what i've seen.

I think this highlights it below:

Dribbling ability - 9
Pace                - 6
Heading           - 5
Shooting         - 5
Crossing          - 5
Intelligence       - 6 (Strong in some aspects weak in others)
Attitude           - 3
Strength          - 4
Determination   - 5

I stand by to be corrected on my assessment above but It's all a bit weak isn't it? His main attribute appears to be how he manipulates the ball in tight situations but then once he's done some smart trickery his end product isn't there regards assists and goals. His main strength appears to be enticing fowls with his ball skills occasionally leading to penalties and free kicks but he often goes down way to easily too.

I notice you didn't put a rating for tackling. Can't imagine why. I think the rest of your scores are pretty spot on, though his dribbling you've been a tad generous and i cant say I recall ever seeing him mess his hair up heading the ball so I couldn't give him a 5 there either.

I'm in Joppe's camp on my way to see a hung-over De Kuip. I think he's a overrated little oik (Grealish that is Laughing ) but just maybe he'll step up now we've got some serious footballers for him to come up to standard with. But fail, and I'd like to see him moved on in the next window. He has fooled so many people off the back of one game and I just can't understand why people love him. I don't think they actually watch the game to realise he contributes very little.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:25 am

Anyone else seen this talk of a swap deal Ayew for Taylor at Swansea? 

New left back who is fairly proven in the Prem. Competition for Amavi or preparing for life without him
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:17 am

I don't expect us to have any problems where finances are concerned tbh because we have assets that are likely to depart in the summer. Lets remember Gil, Vertout, Sanchez, Gollini and Cissokho are currently out on loan. There's a good chance we could raise upwards of 15m by selling those lot. Then we have the likes of Amavi who might get us a pretty penny in the summer. Xia and co are smart guys, I can't see them allowing the finances to get out of control.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:55 am

Me neither. But then when you hear that they walked away from a £25m offer for Amavi, it makes you wonder.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 am

@Trotters wrote:
@The Utterer wrote:Regards Grealish i think it's difficult to find the best way to utilise his undoubted talent because his strengths are a bit one dimensional from what i've seen.

I think this highlights it below:

Dribbling ability - 9
Pace                - 6
Heading           - 5
Shooting         - 5
Crossing          - 5
Intelligence       - 6 (Strong in some aspects weak in others)
Attitude           - 3
Strength          - 4
Determination   - 5

I stand by to be corrected on my assessment above but It's all a bit weak isn't it? His main attribute appears to be how he manipulates the ball in tight situations but then once he's done some smart trickery his end product isn't there regards assists and goals. His main strength appears to be enticing fowls with his ball skills occasionally leading to penalties and free kicks but he often goes down way to easily too.

I notice you didn't put a rating for tackling. Can't imagine why. I think the rest of your scores are pretty spot on, though his dribbling you've been a tad generous and i cant say I recall ever seeing him mess his hair up heading the ball so I couldn't give him a 5 there either.

I'm in Joppe's camp on my way to see a hung-over De Kuip. I think he's a overrated little oik (Grealish that is Laughing ) but just maybe he'll step up now we've got some serious footballers for him to come up to standard with. But fail, and I'd like to see him moved on in the next window. He has fooled so many people off the back of one game and I just can't understand why people love him. I don't think they actually watch the game to realise he contributes very little.

I would also like to see how Jack performs with a settled management team around him as he has had to try and establish himself in a side whose playing style has constantly changed. However this is his time now, he apparently has a good relationship with Stephen Clemence and they are working together on extra training to improve Jack's all round game. Fingers crossed?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:05 am

If we're swapping Ayew for Taylor, then I imagine that Taylor will be Amavi's replacement come the summer should we not get promted, as Amavi will probably leave in that event, and Taylor is too good to be a reserve for a Championship team.

Only problem with that, having already sold Gestede, is it will leave us with just Agbonlahor and Kodjia as our strikers, if you consider that for the moment Hepburn-Murphy and McCormack are out of the question. We might need two strikers nevermind one.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 am

There's not a chance in hell that we'd swap Ayew for Taylor and nothing else. Either we get something like 5 or 6m PLUS Taylor or we get Barrow in the deal aswell so it would be Taylor & Barrow for Ayew. I can't see it going any other way.

I also think we'll nab Rhodes on deadline day!!..the longer it drags the better our chances are because the lad simply isn't getting a sniff down there and I'm sure Boro want him off of their books.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:41 am

All in all though, I think this has been our most active January window ever and hopefully the most rewarding.

Mind you if I'm not wrong, didn't we sign Ashley Young and John Carew in January?
Thinman

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 am

@AstonThriller wrote:There's not a chance in hell that we'd swap Ayew for Taylor and nothing else. Either we get something like 5 or 6m PLUS Taylor or we get Barrow in the deal aswell so it would be Taylor & Barrow for Ayew. I can't see it going any other way.

I also think we'll nab Rhodes on deadlines day!!..the longer it drags the better our chances are because the lad simply isn't getting a sniff down there and I'm sure Boro want him off their books.

Agree with this, Ayew is definitely worth them both not just Taylor and Rhodes I think will end up here at the last minute!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:49 am

@Thinman wrote:All in all though, I think this has been our most active January window ever and hopefully the most rewarding.

Mind you if I'm not wrong, didn't we sign Ashley Young and John Carew in January?

I loved John Carew (not literally of course)!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:08 am

@Thinman wrote:All in all though, I think this has been our most active January window ever and hopefully the most rewarding.

Yeah we got Ash, Big John and Maloney from what I remember.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:28 am

@Villa Ranger wrote:

Bash

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/29/do-penny-dropped-aston-villas-jack-grealish-taking-inspiration-f/

I'd agree with the closing words in the above article. If Grealish really has opened his eyes and knows he HAS to be better then he has a chance. I'd say we should give it 12-18mths and see where he's at. As long as he knows he isn't billy big bollocks and a guaranteed starter then that should be the kick up the arse that is long overdue
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Barabass on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:31 am

There's no chane of Rhodes signing in time for tuesday's match so I say we should hold out until the last minute to get him at the best possible price. I think the movement of Akpom will have an affect on this as well. We may sign him on loan early on tuesday morning to indicate that we dont need to paytoo much for Rhodes as we have Akpom instead. If we sign Akpom in the evening it may indicate that we are no longer interestedcin Rhodes. Obviously this is all guess work as I clearly have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.
Barabass

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:43 am

@achilles wrote:
@AstonThriller wrote:There's not a chance in hell that we'd swap Ayew for Taylor and nothing else. Either we get something like 5 or 6m PLUS Taylor or we get Barrow in the deal aswell so it would be Taylor & Barrow for Ayew. I can't see it going any other way.

I also think we'll nab Rhodes on deadlines day!!..the longer it drags the better our chances are because the lad simply isn't getting a sniff down there and I'm sure Boro want him off their books.

Agree with this, Ayew is definitely worth them both not just Taylor and Rhodes I think will end up here at the last minute!

Apparently a straight swap has been agreed between Swansea and AV, Taylor for Ayew (which I don't particularly agree with)!

Does this spell the end of Amavi as he won't start anymore?
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:58 am

The Taylor/Ayew thing doesn't make sense to me, because in the short-term we need Ayew more than we need a left-back. The only way it would make sense is if either Barrow or Gradel are also in the deal, which I think is what Percy implied, who I believed is more reliable than Di Marzio.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum