The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Steve Bruce thread

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by jimbop on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm

@AstonThriller wrote:
@Gordonsleftboot wrote:

I find some of this constant negativity about SB disappointing. He did not spend the £81m that Lerner cleaned out and added to the good Dr's account. Neither did he spend big in Summer 2016  - the legacy of another failed management appointment and exuberant, irrational, uncontrolled spending. His transfer dealings have cleaned the accounts up, not wrecked them. No doubt he would have been happy to spend £millions like all those before him but when his turn came, the pot was next to empty. I always thought managers deserved at least 2 windows to get some sort of team together. He has now just had that, albeit with tied hands.

Excuse me?

Hogan= 10m
Thor= 2.5m
Bree= 2.5m
Hourihane= 2.5m
Lansbury= 3m
Whelan= 1.5m
Elmo= 1m

The guy has spent almost 25m in the two windows he's had since he arrived. Only Wolves and Boro have spent more than that in the entire league over this period. Wolves signed Costa and Neves, whilst Boro just bought a whole bunch of strikers over the summer. Overall we've outspent the whole league by almost 20m since Xia took over and people want to act like Bruce is having to work with the squad Paul Heckingbottom is working with at Barnsley? It's just ridiculous. The man has no excuses at all. He needs to either get the results, or get out, it's that simple in my eyes.

well said Gordon, its quite embarrassing really.

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 pm

@FoxyAV wrote:Bearing in mind we appear to have run out of money, at what point do our best players head off to pastures new, really good players chose better run (if not bigger or historically successful) clubs over us and interesting, exciting and talented youngsters decide the Villa academy is a dead end street? If we stick with Bruce we'll still be in the Championship next year and depending on when we get rid of him, possibly beyond, with past it players like Whelan and Elmo taking a nice wage packet while we rely more on the O'Hares and Davises from the academy. That is if they haven't been bought by bigger and significantly more successful clubs like West Brom, Bournemouth, Watford and Huddersfield.

If I were Xia I'd be looking at the structure of the club from the bottom up, trying to work out why successive managers are screwing up again and again and again. In the meantime crowd numbers will start to drop off and we'll be looking at other teams losing more than we will just to stay in this league.

Like I said in another thread, we'll do well with the players we have in spite of Bruce, not because of him.

not because of him??? who broguth the players in? so what your saying is if we do well its fock all to do with bruce? this shit is getting comical, no even more comical I mean

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:31 am

@jimbop wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:Like I said in another thread, we'll do well with the players we have in spite of Bruce, not because of him.

not because of him??? who broguth the players in? so what your saying is if we do well its fock all to do with bruce? this shit is getting comical, no even more comical I mean

You know what, I reckon we'll do well with the players we have in spite of Bruce, not because of him.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 am

@FoxyAV wrote:
@jimbop wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:Like I said in another thread, we'll do well with the players we have in spite of Bruce, not because of him.

You know what, I reckon we'll do well with the players we have in spite of Bruce, not because of him.

Exactly what I've been thinking. At some point the squad quality trumps whatever moron is in charge
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:15 am

@Joppe84 wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:
@jimbop wrote:

Exactly what I've been thinking. At some point the squad quality trumps whatever moron is in charge

Last season we'd have been completely screwed without Kodjia. He makes goals from absolutely nothing and can finish on his own from anywhere within about 30 yards, head the ball, score penalties, skip past defenders - the lot. Hourihane and Davis weren't even in the squad until necessity and virtually every other option had been used up. We've only had one goal in the Championship scored by a striker in five matches this season, and that was from Gabby.

Incidentally Lansbury has had two assists in the Championship this season, despite only starting twice and coming on as a sub once.

Something jimbop said though, who did bring in the players? The ones signed while Bruce has been in charge, who is looking at the likes of Hourihane and Lansbury and thinking how we already had a few midfielders but needed two more who play in the same position? Who thought bearing in mind how crap we are at defending down the wings we should bring in Elmo, who isn't any better than Adomah in attack and significantly worse than everyone else in defence, while at the same time ignoring the left side, with just one senior defender and no recognised wing back in case we do play three at the back?
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 am

@FoxyAV wrote:
@Joppe84 wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:
@jimbop wrote:

Last season we'd have been completely screwed without Kodjia. He makes goals from absolutely nothing and can finish on his own from anywhere within about 30 yards, head the ball, score penalties, skip past defenders - the lot. Hourihane and Davis weren't even in the squad until necessity and virtually every other option had been used up. We've only had one goal in the Championship scored by a striker in five matches this season, and that was from Gabby.

Incidentally Lansbury has had two assists in the Championship this season, despite only starting twice and coming on as a sub once.

Something jimbop said though, who did bring in the players? The ones signed while Bruce has been in charge, who is looking at the likes of Hourihane and Lansbury and thinking how we already had a few midfielders but needed two more who play in the same position? Who thought bearing in mind how crap we are at defending down the wings we should bring in Elmo, who isn't any better than Adomah in attack and significantly worse than everyone else in defence, while at the same time ignoring the left side, with just one senior defender and no recognised wing back in case we do play three at the back?

hahaha, some fans will just find anything to moan at, pick at. glad I'm not one.

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:25 am

@FoxyAV wrote:

I said this weeks ago. The talent we have will most likely bail Bruce out of trouble and we may go up despite how crap he is. We all saw what the players were capable of at the end of last season when they got on a roll and I won't be surprised to see it happen again over these next seven games tbh.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:28 am

@AstonThriller wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:

I said this weeks ago. The talent we have will most likely bail Bruce out of trouble and we may go up despite how crap he is. We all saw what the players were capable of at the end of last season when they got on a roll and I won't be surprised to see it happen again over these next seven games tbh.

if that's the case when a club has a talented group of players then what is the point of having a manager?

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 am

@jimbop wrote:

if that's the case when a club has a talented group of players then what is the point of having a manager?

A manager/head coach can introduce a philosophy to his players and make crucial decisions before, and during matches that can help affect the results. Does Bruce do that? Nope. Him and his coaches are from the old school of thinking which is why we don't really have an identity and tend to rely on individuals to perform rather than have clear team plans.

Bruce needs Terry and Chester to start getting those clean sheets. Which was something that sparked our great run last season. Then I think everything will start to click together because in Hourihane, Green, Snoddy, Kodjia etc we should have more than enough in the attacking third tbh.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:37 am

@AstonThriller wrote:
@jimbop wrote:

A manager/head coach can introduce a philosophy to his players and make crucial decisions before, and during matches that can help affect the results. Does Bruce do that? Nope. Him and his coaches are from the old school of thinking which is why we don't really have an identity and tend to rely on individuals to perform rather than have clear team plans.

Bruce needs Terry and Chester to start getting those clean sheets. Which was something that sparked our great run last season. Then I think everything will start to click together because in Hourihane, Green, Snoddy, Kodjia etc we should have more than enough in the attacking third tbh.

fair point

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 am

@AstonThriller wrote:Bruce needs Terry and Chester to start getting those clean sheets. Which was something that sparked our great run last season. Then I think everything will start to click together because in Hourihane, Green, Snoddy, Kodjia etc we should have more than enough in the attacking third tbh.

It's not just Terry and Chester though, they're both affected by the players around them. Elmo can't defend, and if he's being played ahead of Hutton we already have a headache as any half decent opposition manager will start working that partnership. If Hutton's too far forward we know he's not so hot in defence, and Elmo's not going to help him at any point anyway, and this pulls Chester wide, leaving potential for a left winger to cut in or cross to a striker conveniently now in the space between Terry and Chester. I don't think Amavi was a bad defender and he played well going forward but not necessarily both at the same time. This is the main problem with Hutton too. We're essentially crap at defending the wings, and it's killing our defence. It'll certainly be interesting seeing if Middlesborough have worked out how to use Gestede as a couple of decent wingers banging in balls to him could cause us a lot of grief in the next fortnight. Ironically we have two really good wingers in Adomah and Green and they don't necessarily need the RB and LB forward of the halfway line. But that's not Hutton is it?
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbop on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:49 am

@FoxyAV wrote:
@AstonThriller wrote:Bruce needs Terry and Chester to start getting those clean sheets. Which was something that sparked our great run last season. Then I think everything will start to click together because in Hourihane, Green, Snoddy, Kodjia etc we should have more than enough in the attacking third tbh.

It's not just Terry and Chester though, they're both affected by the players around them. Elmo can't defend, and if he's being played ahead of Hutton we already have a headache as any half decent opposition manager will start working that partnership. If Hutton's too far forward we know he's not so hot in defence, and Elmo's not going to help him at any point anyway, and this pulls Chester wide, leaving potential for a left winger to cut in or cross to a striker conveniently now in the space between Terry and Chester. I don't think Amavi was a bad defender and he played well going forward but not necessarily both at the same time. This is the main problem with Hutton too. We're essentially crap at defending the wings, and it's killing our defence. It'll certainly be interesting seeing if Middlesborough have worked out how to use Gestede as a couple of decent wingers banging in balls to him could cause us a lot of grief in the next fortnight. Ironically we have two really good wingers in Adomah and Green and they don't necessarily need the RB and LB forward of the halfway line. But that's not Hutton is it?

gestede long term injury

jimbop

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:57 am

@jimbop wrote:
@FoxyAV wrote:

gestede long term injury

TFFT!

Although I wish him well, always liked him.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:05 am

Considering the circumstances I think it's the worst job by any manager at Villa in my life time. He's got a great squad. Plenty of cash. In reality a 9 months preseason. And we get this.

We are starved for something to cheer about. It takes some doing making us negative right now.

Last edited by Joppe84 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:22 am

Wyness on Bruce, just a few days ago...

“What you see is what you get. That’s the thing about Steve – he’s a very true character. I speak to him openly and honestly – we have a very clear communication, there’s no game-playing. That’s been fantastic. It’s the best relationship I’ve had with a manager in all my years in football.

“Perhaps younger managers coming into the game, in their own development phase, they might feel they need to protect their own thoughts and are not as good at communicating as they should be.

“I think it all comes out with age and experience that the best way is honesty and sincerity.”

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:48 am

What is the game plan Bruce ?
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 am

Cost a years pay to get rid of Bruce, compared to the potential cost of doing nothing.
Might as well ask Terry to caretake as interim Manager because, based on todays efforts, I'm pretty sure his legs have gone.

big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:55 am

I'm getting serious Déjà vu with it all now, I wish they'd just hurry up and sack him. If I was Xia I'd be seriously thinking about Wyness's position as well.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:14 pm

I agree with Wyness what you see is what you get with Bruce! What I see is a man who has no idea how to set up a team, how to coach a team, how to motivate a team or what to do in order to change any of the previous! He is freely admitting that he is not good enough the set up is wrong and he doesn't know how to change things!

Yes Keith he is an honest man! He freely admits to being a useless twunt basically who is out of his depth and you still think this is an admirable quality? This is Twunts United as far as I can see?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:17 pm

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I'm getting serious Déjà vu with it all now, I wish they'd just hurry up and sack him. If I was Xia I'd be seriously thinking about Wyness's position as well.

Id be looking at Steve Round - just don't see what he does. Strikes me as a bit of yes man. Overall this talk of a villa engine or a villa philosophy is all a load of rubbish - any energy/resources put into this are wasted. We need to focus on winning games - with that philosophy or ethos will just fall into place.

The job has proved to big for Bruce - hopefully that will send a warning to the villa board about throwing in a rookie or untested manager.
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:36 pm

@smetro wrote:
@deadbuzzardalive wrote:I'm getting serious Déjà vu with it all now, I wish they'd just hurry up and sack him. If I was Xia I'd be seriously thinking about Wyness's position as well.

Id be looking at Steve Round - just don't see what he does. Strikes me as a bit of yes man.  Overall this talk of a villa engine or a villa philosophy is all a load of rubbish - any energy/resources put into this are wasted. We need to focus on winning games - with that philosophy or ethos will just fall into place.

The job has proved to big for Bruce - hopefully that will send a warning to the villa board about throwing in a rookie or untested manager.

@smetro I think from what people have said regarding Round's status at the club the club that the guy is not a true Sporting Director but rather an ideas guy who goes to the manager with the latest ideas and innovations which basically gets dismissed by Potato Head I imagine?

I too don't want a Dean Smith type even though he get's his teams playing better than Potato Head, come on every other manager in the Football League plays with more tactical awareness than our fossil, I would rather someone who can set up a first team style that means we rely less on a manager than we currently do ala Southampton or Chelsea?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 pm

These are the results of the last TWELVE league games under potato-head.

Burton away= 1-1 draw
Reading at home= 3-1 loss
Fulham away= 3-1 loss
Birmingham at home= 1-0 win
Blackburn away= 1-0 loss
Brighton at home= 1-1 draw
Hull at home= 1-1 draw
Cardiff away= 3-0 loss
Reading away= 2-1 loss
Norwich at home= 4-2 win
Bristol away= 1-1 draw
Brentford at home= 1-1 draw

Played= 12
Won= 2
Lost= 5
Drew= 5

SHOCKING!!!..absolutely shocking. And the more this continues then yes, Wyness and Round have to take their share of the blame. Wyness was waxing lyrical about himself and Round the other day but WHAT THE F#CK have they done since they arrived? There is no evidence at all to suggest that things have improved since they walked into b6 and now they are holding the back by sticking with their mate because they don't seem to have a bloody clue about what a decent manager looks like.

Round came out after we signed Bruce and said they'd "contacted a statistics firm and all the data they got back suggested that Bruce was the overwhelming favorite". And that to me is just pathetic. Their only focus was the "four promotions" record. Not his philosophy, not his record in the transfer market or his record at bringing through youngsters. They went for the easiest, and cheapest option and it's killed us in the end.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:30 pm

I have watched your dire approach to foot a for 10 months and I still don't know what your trying to achieve.
There is no light at the end of your tunnel.
If this is the 'villa way' and the 'villa engine'. I guess we must be a ford cortina. (Younger members google it lol )
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 pm

I've lost count of the number of times that since he's been here, Bruce has said that's the worst we've played, surely that by itself should tell the club and Bruce himself that he's the wrong man for the job, he's basically admitting that things aren't getting better, but the opposite. I find it staggering that he's still here, and can't help but think of the old phrase 'jobs for the boys'.

Xia needs to do something about it.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 pm

@Boldfinger wrote:
I have watched your dire approach to foot a for 10 months and I still don't know what your trying to achieve.
There is no light at the end of your tunnel.
If this is the 'villa way' and the 'villa engine'. I guess we must be a ford cortina. (Younger members google it lol )

Austin Allegro I'd say - at least the Cortina was interesting.
Nope, we're a brown Allegro with beige vinyl seats.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum