The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Steve Bruce thread

+45
LVBrit
holtehero
achilles
FoxyAV
smetro
deadbuzzardalive
DelboyVilla
The Utterer
AstonThriller
Dazzle
Thinman
Saunders82
Wookster
Villa Ranger
danclare82
Dions_Bald_Head
big ming
Gordonsleftboot
Wriggle
Cha Ching
Villa_Dan
1Elliot
Jae1411
mefromhere
gaffer85
Peter
jeffvilla
UnclePanda
Army villain
Con
Boldfinger
Trotters
De Kuip
VTID85
avfc forever
NARLA24
4BetLite
ember
gdav
Rawlie
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
Synopsis
andrew24561
Barabass
49 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 Empty Re: The Steve Bruce thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:07 am

Apparently he's unliked it now, some people are saying that he thought he was likeing the Steve Bruce comment, we'll see.
deadbuzzardalive

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Apparently he's unliked it now, some people are saying that he thought he was likeing the Steve Bruce comment, we'll see.

The damage is done. I'm hoping we hear some news tomorrow. Bruce was begging for time, he knows he's under the cosh.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 am

He's even accused the fans of getting carried away with the John Terry signing now, as if us signing him, has given us unrealistic expectations, we should be challenging for promotion with or without Terry.

"We obviously signed JT, people got carried away with the euphoria of it all,"
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:16 am

So it was the fans that said signing John Terry was the signing of the summer?

Yes it a numbers game and we are sitting in 23rd place on 1 point 8 points behind the top of the table! Those are the numbers!
DelboyVilla

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 am

Other clubs appear to be playing purist football. We appear to be playing a crude,stone-age version of kick and rush.
It's not fair! Everyone should play the same, if it's going to be a fair fight.
big ming

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 am

big ming wrote:Other clubs appear to be playing purist football. We appear to be playing a crude,stone-age version of kick and rush.

Warnock at Cardiff isn't - Brighton didn't last season. Choose your team to pick your argument !

Much as I think Bruce is finished now - I can thinking there are problems behind the scenes at villa. Sure I expected us to struggle to score goals - but I didn't expect the total disorganised chaos we have seen so far. Sure Bruce has a reputation for being dull - but he's never been this poor.
Terry looks non committed to me - I just wonder if he has an eye on the managers job. Always thought bringing him in wasn't going to end well - breaking up the chester\baker partnership for one season of JT seems madness.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 am

smetro wrote:
big ming wrote:Other clubs appear to be playing purist football. We appear to be playing a crude,stone-age version of kick and rush.

Warnock at Cardiff isn't - Brighton didn't last season.  Choose your team to pick your argument !

Much as I think Bruce is finished now - I can thinking there are problems behind the scenes at villa. Sure I expected us to struggle to score goals - but I didn't expect the total disorganised chaos we have seen so far. Sure Bruce has a reputation for being dull - but he's never been this poor.
Terry looks non committed to me - I just wonder if he has an eye on the managers job. Always thought bringing him in wasn't going to end well - breaking up the chester\baker partnership for one season of JT seems madness.

Breaking up the Baker and Chester partnership doesn't "seem" madness, it IS madness. It's a crazy mad decision made by Bruce. It's going to gain us next to fuck all financially as at £80k a week Terry will have cost us the £4m fee we reportedly got for Baker after his years contract. And Terry is still going back to Chelsea for ice baths and a chat with pals apparently. Brilliant business to discard a player who has come through the ranks, had his troubles with injury and learning curve, started showing decent form at 26yrs old, and get in a 37yr old for one season on probably four times the salary.
It's looking like MON all over again but without the results, we are the charity that is funding the British old boys network close to their retirement. We're their "one last payday".
Dazzle
Dazzle

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 am

Dazzle wrote:
smetro wrote:

Warnock at Cardiff isn't - Brighton didn't last season.  Choose your team to pick your argument !

Breaking up the Baker and Chester partnership doesn't "seem" madness, it IS madness. It's a crazy mad decision made by Bruce. It's going to gain us next to fuck all financially as at £80k a week Terry will have cost us the £4m fee we reportedly got for Baker after his years contract. And Terry is still going back to Chelsea for ice baths and a chat with pals apparently. Brilliant business to discard a player who has come through the ranks, had his troubles with injury and learning curve, started showing decent form at 26yrs old, and get in a 37yr old for one season on probably four times the salary.
It's looking like MON all over again but without the results, we are the charity that is funding the British old boys network close to their retirement. We're their "one last payday".

Yep couldn't agree more. I know Bruce bashing is flavour of the month - but I wonder if someone at Villa wanted Terry as a marquee signing.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 am

I'm miles behind the conversation so sorry if this has been said already but does anyone else think Tony's silence is telling?

I'm waiting for some not-so-cryptic formula that says something like:
The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f44cThe Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f346 + The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f551 + 0pts + The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f436The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f4a9 = The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f44e
Trotters
Trotters

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 am

If they do sack him today (which I'm worried they won't) then it will be interesting to see who they put in charge whilst they look for a new manager. Last season they nearly gave the job to Clarke after Di Matteo left, hope they don't consider Calderwood.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 am

More like

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 Giphy

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:01 am

smetro wrote:

Um..... Fulham,most obviously. Playing beautiful stuff. Both Cardiff and Reading played attractive stuff as they were pulling our pants down.
big ming

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:05 am

And on Terry, it was Bruce who suggested him as a signing to the club, courted him all summer in Portugal, and couldn't stop gushing about him in the media. I couldn't really understand why we were going for Terry, when it was our attack that so urgently needed fixing, but he's better than Baker, even now, our predicament is Bruce's fault, no need to make up other scapegoats for him.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:16 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:If they do sack him today (which I'm worried they won't) then it will be interesting to see who they put in charge whilst they look for a new manager. Last season they nearly gave the job to Clarke after Di Matteo left, hope they don't consider Calderwood.

This is gonna be a huge test regarding whether the club is really as organised as they say they are. Because imo, they should have drawn up a list of possible replacements during our five defeats in a row and nine games without a win run last season, never mind now. And I made this known to the club after the Shrewsbury friendly, so they can't have any excuses. It would be naive beyond words if they haven't put the feelers out already.

I admit, I'm confident he's a goner but part of me has that nagging feeling that Wyness and Round are working overtime to try and buy their mate time. If we don't hear anything today, then my confidence that he will go will dwindle significantly.

AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:And on Terry, it was Bruce who suggested him as a signing to the club, courted him all summer in Portugal, and couldn't stop gushing about him in the media. I couldn't really understand why we were going for Terry, when it was our attack that so urgently needed fixing, but he's better than Baker, even now, our predicament is Bruce's fault, no need to make up other scapegoats for him.

But the Terry situation just personifies Bruce's cluelessness imo. Remember, we kept EIGHT clean sheets in the last thirteen games. That's eight out of the fourteen we kept all season. So clearly, defence wasn't the issue in the slightest. But he's such a f#cking dinosaur that defence is all he thought about this summer despite us not being able to hit a barn door without Kodjia. How does that make sense? Does anyone think our results would have been any worse with Baker in the side? I very much doubt it. But they may have been better if that idiot would have brought in some bloody attackers. Man I really cannot fathom how bad this guy is in all departments.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 am

Trotters wrote:I'm miles behind the conversation so sorry if this has been said already but does anyone else think Tony's silence is telling?

I'm waiting for some not-so-cryptic formula that says something like:
The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f44cThe Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f346 + The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f551 + 0pts + The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f436The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f4a9 = The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 1f44e

Any chance you can tweet that formula to Tony, with all our very best regards?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 am

AstonThriller wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:And on Terry, it was Bruce who suggested him as a signing to the club, courted him all summer in Portugal, and couldn't stop gushing about him in the media. I couldn't really understand why we were going for Terry, when it was our attack that so urgently needed fixing, but he's better than Baker, even now, our predicament is Bruce's fault, no need to make up other scapegoats for him.

But the Terry situation just personifies Bruce's cluelessness imo. Remember, we kept EIGHT clean sheets in the last thirteen games. That's eight out of the fourteen we kept all season. So clearly, defence wasn't the issue in the slightest. But he's such a f#cking dinosaur that defence is all he thought about this summer despite us not being able to hit a barn door without Kodjia. How does that make sense? Does anyone think our results would have been any worse with Baker in the side? I very much doubt it. But they may have been better if that idiot would have brought in some bloody attackers. Man I really cannot fathom how bad this guy is in all departments.

But but but... we do have some good attacking players, the trick is to a) coach them properly, b) select the correct players to play and c) throughout each match use tactics, change tactics, change formations and use subs intelligently. Now I've (barely) calmed down from last night, I can give a few examples. We had two out of form strikers in the squad, one on the pitch and the other as a sub. Our only fit number ten plus our most exciting strikers were nowhere to be seen, having been played in the U23s on Monday night. We played two different midfielders up front, and when Gabby came on for Hogan he actually sat behind Onomah and when he was subbed, Adomah. Instead of starting Adomah on the right wing where he belongs, he played our left-sided midfielder Thor. We sat deep waiting for Reading to presumably tire themselves out (which never happened although they did come off the gas halfway through the second half) and finished the first half with about 20% possession. At no point did we have any kind of game plan beyond hoofball.

I don't know what Hourihane has done to deserve being a bit player but for me despite his mistakes he and Green were the best players out there. I suspect he doesn't fit in with Jedi or Whelan because he seems to do the same thing they do, just with a forward attacking mentality rather than a defensive safer mentality. Going back to the question of attacking players, when was the last time we saw Green and Adomah on the flanks? With Hourihane taking Jedi/Whelan's place it'll be the equivalent of an extra player in the team. I also don't see the 4-4-1-1 working with the players and tactic Bruce is selecting. If Hogan and Gabby can't bring down balls then stop punting them at them at every opportunity. By all means play a 4-5-1 but at the very least play a midfield of Green - Onomah - Lansbury - Hourihane - Adomah and stop pissing around with Gabby or Thor on the wings. The 4-4-2 didn't work last night, but when Onomah came off why not put on Samba if all the rest of the team was doing was punting long balls up the pitch? None of it makes sense.

In essence we failed to get the ball to Onomah to try sliding it through to Hogan so switched to desperate hoofball to players who couldn't control the ball. We were too slow, we didn't fight for the ball, I could go on.

Bruce and the coaching staff are to blame for this.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:32 am

Is the Jeb end gone yet?
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:39 am

There is no point picking a team and formation to suit one way of playing and then telling the team to play another way? You also need to change style or formation to suit the changing circumstances in a game.

Bruce can do neither and I think he has lost his head and the dressing room? I mean Wilshire FFS!
DelboyVilla

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 am

Pretty sure that the days before Di Matteo was fired it was all in the papers, this time nothing. But Xia must be silent on twitter for a reason, we know he's been on there and seen what the fans think, because he liked and unliked that tweet last night.

I just wish they'd hurry up and sack him, as that would at least give me a bit of hope that the season can be salvaged.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:06 am

8 points behind after 3 games.
The best salvage team in the World would give us a miss i think.
NARLA24
NARLA24

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 am

Official website have just published an article with Bruce talking about needing to face the challenge and how he's the right man for the job. Doubt he's getting the sack yet then.

If that's the case Saturday is a no win situation we either lose and lose even more ground, or we win and Bruce prolongs his stay which will just be detrimental to the club in the long run.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Pretty sure that the days before Di Matteo was fired it was all in the papers, this time nothing. But Xia must be silent on twitter for a reason, we know he's been on there and seen what the fans think, because he liked and unliked that tweet last night.

I just wish they'd hurry up and sack him, as that would at least give me a bit of hope that the season can be salvaged.

Yeah, the rumours were he had "two games" to sort it out before we played Barnsley and Preston away. And of course, we didn't win either so that was that. Not sure what's going through the mind of the board at the moment. All we can go on is Wyness's warning about "not being afraid to take action", Xia's "bothered about the same problems" comment after Hull, Rongtian's "acceptable" remark after the Cardiff game and Xia liking that tweet about Bruce last night. To me, it all points to a parting of the ways, but like I said, the proof will be in the pudding today. If he's not departed tonight or the papers aren't indicating that something may happen tomorrow, then I guess he'll be here for the Norwich game and that would make me lose a lot of faith in this board tbh. Because it's not just a matter of losing these last two games. It's a matter of this guy being here for 40 odd games and still not having a clue who to play and what style to adopt. The problems are way deeper than just the results and if they can't see that then it's very worrying.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am

Bruce asks Villa fans for more time to get things right....Birmingham Mail.
Next thing we will be giving him the keys to the city and a gold plated penthouse.
Really Bruce?
10 months not long enough?
Its your team now...and the performances are shite.
NARLA24
NARLA24

The Steve Bruce thread - Page 29 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 am

Bruce joined on the 12th October so if he's on a one-year contract does that mean we may all be treading water until his contract ends then, so Xia doesn't have to pay him off? Hopefully there's a relegation zone condition in his contract but if not we have this lot to play:

Norwich
Bristol
Brentford
Middlesborough
Barnsley
Forest
Burton
Barnsley

I can't accurately predict how well we'll do against this lot and I can't see any news that Kodjia is coming back anytime soon so maybe 10 points is realistic (two wins, four draws, four losses) based on current form, injuries and inability to play reserves? That's surely this season written off, so it's presumably better to bite the bullet and give Bruce some cash in the hope that a new manager can at least have a chance.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next